4096 17 2022-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oberschneider.com
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 4985466 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I took my Mavic 3 for a flight above the clouds in early November 2021 in the Austrian Alps, and today I created a HLG HDR version just to see what that would look like.
Technical stuff for those interested: filmed in 5.1K 30 H265 in LOG format. LUT used: Mavic 3 "natural" LUT by The Film Poets.
Project set to Rec. 2020 HLG, graded with Color Finale Pro & Cinema Grade in FCPX. Noise reduction done with Neat Video, exported as ProRes 422.
2022-5-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there oberschneider.com. Good day and thank you for posting this amazing aerial video that you have filmed and created using your DJI Mavic 3. Great work and keep flying. .
2022-5-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6262736 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks magical.
2022-5-5
Use props
Frontliner 2020
Second Officer
Philippines

beautiful footage...
2022-5-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Stunning footage!
2022-5-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beautiful footage.   
2022-5-6
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

spectacular views!
2022-5-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Absolutely spectacular footage.    Amazing job of filming and in post.
2022-5-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

That looks just awesome.
2022-5-6
Use props
Baggio_YY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1609446 ft
  • >>>
South Korea

So Great!

The Color Space of  "M3 Cine" is Rec.2020?
2022-5-6
Use props
oberschneider.com
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Austria

Baggio_YY Posted at 5-6 18:59
So Great!

The Color Space of  "M3 Cine" is Rec.2020?

This was shot with the regular M3 I got my Cine da while after I shot this video.
The original color space was Rec 709, but I graded and exported this in Rec 2020 HLG color space.
2022-5-6
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Amazing footsge
2022-5-7
Use props
oberschneider.com
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Austria

Thank you!
2022-5-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

This looks great. Thank you for sharing. Could you please confirm your path of getting from DLOG to HLG? I think the LUT you mentioned by Film Poets would only get you to rec.709 color space. If you could please share the path you took to get your 10 bit log video to rec.2020 HLG 10 bit.

Thank you in advance, Mike.
2022-5-7
Use props
oberschneider.com
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Austria

Mzp Posted at 5-7 10:49
This looks great. Thank you for sharing. Could you please confirm your path of getting from DLOG to HLG? I think the LUT you mentioned by Film Poets would only get you to rec.709 color space. If you could please share the path you took to get your 10 bit log video to rec.2020 HLG 10 bit.

Thank you in advance, Mike.

Sure! This is my workflow in FCPX:
Set the media library to "wide gamut", the project to "Rec. 2020 HLG", add the LUT as the basic grade and then grade the video with a color grading plugin like Color Finale 2 that works with HLG content (e.g. cinema grade does not work).
Initially the video will be displayed way too dark, so you have to adjust the exposure settings. I'm using waveform scopes to see if there's any clipping in the highlights or shadows. Then I use a noise reduction tool like Neat Video (tricky because it doesn't support HLG, so it's all overexposed).
Export settings: ProRes 422 & Rec 2020 HLG. That's it!
2022-5-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

oberschneider.com Posted at 5-7 11:53
Set the media library to "wide gamut", the project to "Rec. 2020 HLG", add the LUT as the basic grade and then grade the video with a color grading plugin like Color Finale 2 that works with HLG content (e.g. cinema grade does not work).
Initially the video will be displayed way too dark, so you have to adjust the exposure settings. I'm using waveform scopes to see if there's any clipping in the highlights or shadows. Then I use a noise reduction tool like Neat Video (tricky because it doesn't support HLG, so it's all overexposed).

Got it, thank you for sharing. I use Davinci Resolve. I also apply a LUT first to get the video to a basic reasonable view (also set project to Rec.2020 HLG in Resolve first). Then I also use the waveform in Resolve to check for clipping and adjust the saturation, shadows , highlights, global light, mid tones (Resolve now has HDR scopes too now btw, it allows for nice fine adjustments). Unfortunately I don't have a Decklink card right now, it's difficult to see final result in timeline, event though I have an HDR monitor, without Decklink card it displays regular rec.709 color at best. Have to export the project, check the video in third party windows video viewer and then make further adjustments. This process is so time consuming and inconvenient. Wish DJI included HLG native support for Mavic 3 to make it easier for everyone. Thank you for sharing, Mike.
2022-5-7
Use props
christangey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27719574 ft
  • >>>
Australia

oberschneider.com Posted at 2022-5-7 11:53

Just wondering all this time later, I notice you initially preferred 100 ISO in HLG what about now?
5-18 23:13
Use props
oberschneider.com
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Austria

christangey1 Posted at 5-18 23:13
Just wondering all this time later, I notice you initially preferred 100 ISO in HLG what about now?

Initially there was no HLG mode on the Mavic 3, so I was using DLOG-M at ISO 100 and converted the footage to HDR. Ever since HLG became available as a separate profile via firmware update I've been using it with ISO 100, works great! But to be honest I've not done any comparisons with DLOG-M / D-LOG regarding image quality / dynamic range...
5-19 22:53
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules