Inspire 1 - Landing legs not going up
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KC-FPV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 169997 ft
United States

Had my old inspire 1 out and found the landing legs aren’t going up.  They are stuck in landing position. Tried to see if there was something stuck, but don’t see anything out of place.  Also tried to move it without the props on and it SOUNDS like the motor to move the landing legs is working, but nothing happens.  

Are there any resources or tricks to get the legs to move?  Or should I just send it in to DJI?  Or any local places (preferable) NYC area?

Luckily the case I have allows it to stay in landing configuration, so I still can fly it.  And it flies great!

It has been sitting for years unfortunately.  But would like to get it in full working order.  

Thanks for any suggestions

2023-9-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Please try to follow the steps below to possibly rectify the issue.

1. Check whether the aircraft and remote controller firmware are updated to the latest versions.
*Refer to Inspire 1 Release Notes. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... Notes_201707_EN.pdf

2. Ensure that the gimbal camera has been removed.
3. Check that the “Enter/Exit Travel Mode” operation is correct.
4. Instruct the customer to operate in another way (transformation switch on remote controller ↔ app operation) to check whether it is possible to enter/exit Travel Mode.
5. If “there is an error with the center frame servomotor, lead screws, or other related hardware”:
a. If there is a sound of entering/exiting Travel Mode (operating sound of servomotor), but the landing gear does not respond, please send the aircraft for proper diagnostics.

6. If “there is an error with the remote controller signal or the firmware of the aircraft and remote controller is inconsistent”:
a. Reset the remote controller and link it again.
b. If the issue persists after the aircraft and remote controller firmware have been updated to the latest versions, instruct the customer to send their aircraft back to DJI for inspection.

7. If “there is an error with the downward vision system”:
a. Check the vision system camera lens. If any dirt or residue is detected, gently clean the lens.
b. Check for and remove objects that might block the ultrasonic sensors.
c. Test the aircraft on planes of different materials. If the issue persists, send the aircraft back to DJI for inspection.
2023-9-2
Use props
KC-FPV
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-2 17:18
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Please try to follow the steps below to possibly rectify the issue.

1. Check whether the aircraft and remote controller firmware are updated to the latest versions.

Thanks for that; based on what i'm seeing, I seem to be in the 5a category:  
5. If “there is an error with the center frame servomotor, lead screws, or other related hardware”:
a. If there is a sound of entering/exiting Travel Mode (operating sound of servomotor), but the landing gear does not respond, please send the aircraft for proper diagnostics.

I checked DJI's support site and it appears they no longer offer support for the Inspire 1?  What are my options here?  

Thanks for the help
2023-9-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

KC-FPV Posted at 9-3 05:56
Thanks for that; based on what i'm seeing, I seem to be in the 5a category:  

Hi there, KC. We do apologize for the inconvenience. You may contact our team directly at https://www.dji.com/support to see the best option on how to repair your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-9-4
Use props
KC-FPV
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-4 06:13
Hi there, KC. We do apologize for the inconvenience. You may contact our team directly at https://www.dji.com/support to see the best option on how to repair your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.

I reached out to support and will wait to hear back.  It has been sitting a while; if I just put WD40 on the any of the landing gear joints, would that loosen things up?  
2023-9-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

KC-FPV Posted at 9-4 15:07
I reached out to support and will wait to hear back.  It has been sitting a while; if I just put WD40 on the any of the landing gear joints, would that loosen things up?

Thank you for your response. We don't have any guarantee that putting WD40 will fix the issue. Please wait for their advice on how to send the unit to avoid further damage on the unit. We appreciate your understanding. Have a nice day.
2023-9-6
Use props
KC-FPV
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-6 23:34
Thank you for your response. We don't have any guarantee that putting WD40 will fix the issue. Please wait for their advice on how to send the unit to avoid further damage on the unit. We appreciate your understanding. Have a nice day.

So, DJI got back and unfortunately they don't offer any support on the drone (not a surprise for an 8 year old drone).  Also reached out to third parties and they are more than happy to take a look, but have a feeling that may be more expense than it's worth.

After further troubleshooting I found that the gear DOES in fact work, and it was definitely stuck in landing position.  BUT it has GREAT difficulty going from landing position into going up at all.  It has been sitting for years, so i'm sure that is most of the problem.  

If I grease or lubricate the center screw, would that help at all?  Should I also grease any of the joints for the rest of the mechanism?   

Also, when in flight, since the body of the aircraft is basically weight at that point, is it easier for the legs to go up because the rotors are creating lift?  So, is part of my problem that I just had to get the mechanism moving?

I've been reading multiple threads of these issues from years ago, but have not found a great fix.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks

2023-9-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

KC-FPV Posted at 9-8 15:20
So, DJI got back and unfortunately they don't offer any support on the drone (not a surprise for an 8 year old drone).  Also reached out to third parties and they are more than happy to take a look, but have a feeling that may be more expense than it's worth.

After further troubleshooting I found that the gear DOES in fact work, and it was definitely stuck in landing position.  BUT it has GREAT difficulty going from landing position into going up at all.  It has been sitting for years, so i'm sure that is most of the problem.  

We do apologize for the trouble. As electronic products are affected by technological developments and changes in usage requirements, each generation of products has a fixed life cycle. In order to continuously provide you with premium product and service experiences, DJI regularly optimizes resource allocations to promote the development and application of new products and technologies. Therefore, we have decided to stop providing support services for Inspire 1 and its accessories starting on February 15, 2023. Thank you for your understanding
2023-9-10
Use props
djiuser_u5OVT5aIlXEl
New

New Zealand

I have had the same problem and same replies from DJI.  Disconnect the landing system at the two pins.  Then operate the landing system several times with some WD40 on the main centre screw.  That MAY help.  Mine has come clear,
2023-9-17
Use props
KC-FPV
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_u5OVT5aIlXEl Posted at 9-17 01:28
I have had the same problem and same replies from DJI.  Disconnect the landing system at the two pins.  Then operate the landing system several times with some WD40 on the main centre screw.  That MAY help.  Mine has come clear,

Thanks, yea, was able to loosen it up a little bit with loosening the screws and getting some WD40 in there, but it still really struggles during the initial lift.  

I ended up buying the replacement part for the center gear assembly and found a local DJI dealer that is willing to do repairs.  Still want to get that quoted out though, so I don't get taken to the cleaners.  

I really want to get this working as I still think this is one of the coolest looking drones out there.  
2023-9-17
Use props
djiuser_8WSq1cytzT0g
lvl.1

Netherlands

I have the solution. I had the same problem but I solved it. You would say that you have a good product for € 15,000, but that is not the case.  if you want to raise both arms, nothing happens, you hear the motor running, that's because the gear is loose and just spins loosely on its axis. I have disassembled the motor and soldered the gear and now it's only a little bit of tin.  only necessary on the axle of course.  and I was so happy that it was functioning again and I want to connect the camera to the mobile again, but that is not possible, yes, because the Products are already old, even for such a large amount, you would expect that the software for it would still be at least 20 years old.  is valid, but this is not the case, which is very bad from DJI, I also have a DJI Nanouk Osmo, there is also no software to be found on the Play Store and I also have a DJI Phantom and again no software to be found on the Play Store, only  nonsense and software that doesn't work anyway, while a
4-13 15:22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules