BUG: Osmo Pocket 3 FPV mode centering. Behaves like tilt-lock mode.
12Next >
7302 79 2023-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
9OcO7RlPocL4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22818 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been experimenting with this centering bug and believe I have a better idea of what could be happening. This specifically affects the Osmo Pocket 3 in FPV mode, when the camera is in non-selfie mode (the camera is pointing away from the user, in rearview mode)

Essentially, within a very wide angle tilt threshold, the camera defaults into the tilt-lock centering behavior, rather than the expected FPV centering behavior that has existed in the previous 2 generations of osmo pocket devices, along with all other gimbals out on the market. See the below video for the buggy inconsistent behavior:

EDIT - January 2024
I wanted to add this video as well to demonstrate the inconsistency between the pocket 3, versus the pocket 1 and pocket 2. The engineers have communicated that this is expected behavior... So far the company has not indicated any intention to fix this problem.

2023-11-23
Use props
federnet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1691463 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Actually, this bug exists in Follow mode as well...
2023-11-24
Use props
djiuser_LFi1QNnKFKC2
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I am also experiencing this
2023-11-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. Thank you for raising this query with us and sorry for the trouble that it may have caused you. Would it be possible if you could upload the video with a shareable link? You may use Google Drive or Dropbox and then provide the link here. Please feel free to keep us posted on the latest progress.
2023-11-25
Use props
9OcO7RlPocL4
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-25 03:58
Hello, there. Thank you for raising this query with us and sorry for the trouble that it may have caused you. Would it be possible if you could upload the video with a shareable link? You may use Google Drive or Dropbox and then provide the link here. Please feel free to keep us posted on the latest progress.

Uploaded the video and shared!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... NS/view?usp=sharing
2023-11-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

9OcO7RlPocL4 Posted at 11-25 12:18
Uploaded the video and shared!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lSzWKKWTpHQjX-t7kkxD18vhUguW3-NS/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for your update. Please know that we've forwarded this video to our relevant team for further checking. We will forward the latest update as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
2023-11-27
Use props
9OcO7RlPocL4
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-27 03:43
Thank you for your update. Please know that we've forwarded this video to our relevant team for further checking. We will forward the latest update as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Wanted to follow up and confirm that this bug is still present on the latest firmware released on 2023-11-29. It should be noted that this behavior only exists when the camera is pointing away from the user. In selfie mode, centering behaves as expected.
2023-11-29
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

lol - I had actually come across this behavior (bug) before this thread and found I liked it as a simple way to put the P3 into "flashlight" mode.
2023-11-29
Use props
9OcO7RlPocL4
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DaveSp Posted at 11-29 12:18
lol - I had actually come across this behavior (bug) before this thread and found I liked it as a simple way to put the P3 into "flashlight" mode.

I feel that a reasonable "fix" would be to add an advanced setting for users to change their centering behavior. That way users like you who have adjusted to the pocket 3's buggy way of doing things don't have their newly established workflows broken, and users like me who have been avid users of gimbals for 10 years (pocket series for 5y) can have it behaving as expected. Settings > Centering Behavior > Flashlight mode/planar mode
2023-11-29
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

9OcO7RlPocL4 Posted at 11-29 12:24
I feel that a reasonable "fix" would be to add an advanced setting for users to change their centering behavior. That way users like you who have adjusted to the pocket 3's buggy way of doing things don't have their newly established workflows broken, and users like me who have been avid users of gimbals for 10 years (pocket series for 5y) can have it behaving as expected. Settings > Centering Behavior > Flashlight mode/planar mode

Yeah, I started with the P1 when it first came out so losing this behavior wouldn't be a bother to me.
2023-11-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

9OcO7RlPocL4 Posted at 11-29 12:02
Wanted to follow up and confirm that this bug is still present on the latest firmware released on 2023-11-29. It should be noted that this behavior only exists when the camera is pointing away from the user. In selfie mode, centering behaves as expected.

Hello, there. Thank you for your follow-up and update. When the device is powered on, it is not completely vertical. The initialized angle of the tilt axis faces upward relative to the front of the camera, so when the device is placed on a table, the tilt angle will follow the initialized angle and appear to be moving upward. Furthermore, the horizontal direction of FPV mode is not absolutely horizontal but relative to the direction of the product. I hope this information helps. Thank you for your support.
2023-11-30
Use props
9OcO7RlPocL4
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-30 01:24
Hello, there. Thank you for your follow-up and update. When the device is powered on, it is not completely vertical. The initialized angle of the tilt axis faces upward relative to the front of the camera, so when the device is placed on a table, the tilt angle will follow the initialized angle and appear to be moving upward. Furthermore, the horizontal direction of FPV mode is not absolutely horizontal but relative to the direction of the product. I hope this information helps. Thank you for your support.

It does not help, because when attempting to recenter in FPV mode the device continues to reorient itself to absolutely horizontal. I powered up the device another time absolutely vertically and this bug continues to persist. (Irregardless, this behavior deviates from the prior 2 generations of devices and other gimbals on the market)

The expected behavior of FPV mode would be for the device to orient itself within relation to the axis of the product, but it **still does NOT***. When the device is in FPV mode and the camera is facing away from the user, it continues to behave in a manner that keeps it absolutely horizontal.

Centering behavior behaves as expected when the camera is facing towards the user.
2023-11-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

9OcO7RlPocL4 Posted at 11-30 01:56
It does not help, because when attempting to recenter in FPV mode the device continues to reorient itself to absolutely horizontal. I powered up the device another time absolutely vertically and this bug continues to persist. (Irregardless, this behavior deviates from the prior 2 generations of devices and other gimbals on the market)

The expected behavior of FPV mode would be for the device to orient itself within relation to the axis of the product, but it **still does NOT***. When the device is in FPV mode and the camera is facing away from the user, it continues to behave in a manner that keeps it absolutely horizontal.

Thanks for responding. We'll communicate with our respective team regarding your feedback for awareness. Any latest information will be provided here.
2023-11-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

9OcO7RlPocL4 Posted at 11-30 01:56
It does not help, because when attempting to recenter in FPV mode the device continues to reorient itself to absolutely horizontal. I powered up the device another time absolutely vertically and this bug continues to persist. (Irregardless, this behavior deviates from the prior 2 generations of devices and other gimbals on the market)

Update: This situation has been forwarded to our relevant team for awareness and we will continuously monitor this matter. We thank you for your support.
2023-12-1
Use props
9OcO7RlPocL4
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-1 05:00
Update: This situation has been forwarded to our relevant team for awareness and we will continuously monitor this matter. We thank you for your support.

Are there any plans to fix this bug? Have they been able to reproduce it on their end?
2023-12-1
Use props
9OcO7RlPocL4
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-1 05:00

@DJI Gamora, I'm concerned that the bug has not been communicated properly to the team. I recorded another video and attached a google drive link that should more clearly demonstrate the bug which is being experienced in FPV mode.

When the camera is in selfie mode + FPV mode, double clicking the joystick to center the gimbal when it has been offset works correctly. The camera is centered along the axis of the device.

The video also demonstrates the bug:
When the camera is in **not selfie** mode, double clicking the joystick to center the gimbal when it has been offset is wrong. The camera is *not* centered along the axis of the device. The bug is that the camera centers to absolute horizontal (to the horizon). This is expected behavior when the device is in tilt-lock mode. However, the camera has been set to FPV mode.

I hope this helps clearly demonstrate the bug.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... nL/view?usp=sharing
2023-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

9OcO7RlPocL4 Posted at 12-1 20:25
@DJI Gamora, I'm concerned that the bug has not been communicated properly to the team. I recorded another video and attached a google drive link that should more clearly demonstrate the bug which is being experienced in FPV mode.

When the camera is in selfie mode + FPV mode, double clicking the joystick to center the gimbal when it has been offset works correctly. The camera is centered along the axis of the device.

Hi, there. Thank you for expressing your concern related to this matter. Please rest assured that we've registered the information and provided feedback to the related departments for evaluation. In the future, we will optimize and improve the product or service based on user comments. Thank you for your support and understanding.
2023-12-2
Use props
Tomdroid
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-2 03:23
Hi, there. Thank you for expressing your concern related to this matter. Please rest assured that we've registered the information and provided feedback to the related departments for evaluation. In the future, we will optimize and improve the product or service based on user comments. Thank you for your support and understanding.

Is it my understanding that if there aren't enough user complaints about this bug, then it won't be fixed? If there is no current intention to recognize it as a bug and fix it, I would like to know so I can start the return process.
2023-12-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Tomdroid Posted at 12-2 04:02
Is it my understanding that if there aren't enough user complaints about this bug, then it won't be fixed? If there is no current intention to recognize it as a bug and fix it, I would like to know so I can start the return process.

I've submitted the video and details you provided and this has been acknowledged by our corresponding team. Please rest assured that we've taken this seriously.
2023-12-2
Use props
Tomdroid
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-2 04:30
I've submitted the video and details you provided and this has been acknowledged by our corresponding team. Please rest assured that we've taken this seriously.

I understand that it has been acknowledged, but are there any plans to fix this in an upcoming firmware update? Does the team agree that this is a bug? Or do they believe that this is expected behavior?
2023-12-3
Use props
FIOFON
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Totally agree with your comments and am considering returning in UK under the sale of Goods act as it is not performing as it should Re Centering is a PIA
2023-12-3
Use props
Tomdroid
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-2 04:30

@DJI Gamora I wanted to follow up on this since my return window is almost closed and I need to make a decision. Once again, I understand that the corresponding team has acknowledged the problem, but do they recognize it as a bug which has turned into a ticket for an engineer to fix in an upcoming update? Or does the team categorize this under "expected behavior, will not fix"

Or has there been a feature ticket created which will allow a user to adjust their centering behavior?

Please let me know? If I hear that there are no plans to do anything about this I'll start the return process :-(
2023-12-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Tomdroid Posted at 12-5 01:36
@DJI Gamora I wanted to follow up on this since my return window is almost closed and I need to make a decision. Once again, I understand that the corresponding team has acknowledged the problem, but do they recognize it as a bug which has turned into a ticket for an engineer to fix in an upcoming update? Or does the team categorize this under "expected behavior, will not fix"

Or has there been a feature ticket created which will allow a user to adjust their centering behavior?

Hi, there. Apologies for the late notice. We completely understand your concern related to this matter. After assessing the concern you provided, our engineers have confirmed that this is within the normal logic of the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 and not a bug. Nonetheless, we've forwarded your feedback for possible optimization that may happen in the future. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-12-6
Use props
Tomdroid
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

That's extremely unfortunate to hear that FPV mode is expected to behave like tilt lock centering behavior. If I may ask, what was the reasoning for this deviation from the industry standard?

In any case, I'll be starting the return process, because this centering behavior is extremely upsetting in a vlogging "point-and-shoot" type situation. Thank you for informing me that this is actually expected behavior.
2023-12-6
Use props
fans2d16f24b
lvl.1

United States

Tomdroid Posted at 12-6 03:08
That's extremely unfortunate to hear that FPV mode is expected to behave like tilt lock centering behavior. If I may ask, what was the reasoning for this deviation from the industry standard?

In any case, I'll be starting the return process, because this centering behavior is extremely upsetting in a vlogging "point-and-shoot" type situation. Thank you for informing me that this is actually expected behavior.

Tomroid is correct. I have the same issue. I've used both Osmo Pocket 1 and 2 for and filmed many, many videos with each. I mostly shoot in FPV mode. Both of these versions of Osmo Pocket would center in FPV mode from whatever vantage point the camera is pointed. Example: If the lens is facing downward and I recenter the gimbal it would recenter horizontally at the angle the camera is facing (downward). Another Example: If the camera lens was facing upward and I recentered the camera it would recenter horizontally with the camera in the direction the camera is facing (upward). NOW....with Osmo Pocket 3....if I am facing the camera lens downward and try to recenter....OSMO 3 moves to the horizon and recenters, similar to tilt lock. SO....this becomes a HUGE problem..... because if I try to recenter my camera in while it's facing downward or upward in FPV mode and then tilt or pull up, the camera view is now too high or too low and not centered and way above or below the point it should be at. This is definitely a bug and if not addressed you will end up receiving a ton of returns because FPV DOES NOT function like Osmo Pocket 1 & 2 versions. Tell the engineers to wake up and realize this is happening and a major issue with OP3!!! You did such a good job with this latest version but this could be the deal breaker for many many of your users and effect your marketshare once they figure out their camera is doing this. Which is a ROYAL Pain in the butt to deal with when filming.
2023-12-6
Use props
djiuser_uc32j6jUCeHc
lvl.1

Thailand

Does anyone knows how to create a new thread on this forum?
2023-12-9
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_uc32j6jUCeHc Posted at 12-9 03:00
Does anyone knows how to create a new thread on this forum?

There's a "New Thread" button on the upper right of the first page.
2023-12-9
Use props
djiforsuk
lvl.1

Thailand

DaveSp Posted at 12-9 03:39
There's a "New Thread" button on the upper right of the first page.

I don't think so
Screenshot_2023-12-09-18-49-58-245_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
2023-12-9
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

hmmmm -

2023-12-9
Use props
Tomdroid
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I wanted to bump this for visibility. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the return window so I'm screwed and stuck with the device. My honest hope is to just keep bumping this topic until the issue gets fixed.
2023-12-15
Use props
HAYHOT
lvl.3
Vietnam

Yes, this problem is so annoying. me too. a huge failure of pocket 3 ?
2023-12-17
Use props
HAYHOT
lvl.3
Vietnam

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-6 02:24
Hi, there. Apologies for the late notice. We completely understand your concern related to this matter. After assessing the concern you provided, our engineers have confirmed that this is within the normal logic of the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 and not a bug. Nonetheless, we've forwarded your feedback for possible optimization that may happen in the future. Thank you for your understanding.

i used pocket 1 with fpv mode, it is great. but now pocket 3, fpv mode destroy all my clips. if i know dji say this problem fpv is normal before, truely i never buy
2023-12-17
Use props
Tomdroid
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

HAYHOT Posted at 12-17 18:19
i used pocket 1 with fpv mode, it is great. but now pocket 3, fpv mode destroy all my clips. if i know dji say this problem fpv is normal before, truely i never buy

I know it's absolutely horrible, isn't it? If you look at my profile you can see I've purchased and pre-ordered several DJI products, but after this super stupid thing, I'll be looking elsewhere and advising other people to simply use their phone and a zhiyun gimbal instead for their vlogging purposes. The fact that they believe this is expected behavior is insane to me.
2023-12-18
Use props
HAYHOT
lvl.3
Vietnam

Tomdroid Posted at 12-18 01:36
I know it's absolutely horrible, isn't it? If you look at my profile you can see I've purchased and pre-ordered several DJI products, but after this super stupid thing, I'll be looking elsewhere and advising other people to simply use their phone and a zhiyun gimbal instead for their vlogging purposes. The fact that they believe this is expected behavior is insane to me.

yes, i will never buy anything from dji if this problem is not solve. i have noticed my friend not buying this pocket 3, wait and dji fix or not fix this serious problem
2023-12-18
Use props
Thevion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 549925 ft
Poland

I have the same problem with FPV in Osmo Pocket 3. In general, I think that the FPV gimbal mode is broken in this version of the camera - I will record a video showing the problem with the horizon
2023-12-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HAYHOT Posted at 12-17 18:19

Hi, there. We're sorry to hear about your feedback. Please be assured that we constantly communicate with our relevant team regarding this matter.
2023-12-21
Use props
fans2d16f24b
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-21 02:57
Hi, there. We're sorry to hear about your feedback. Please be assured that we constantly communicate with our relevant team regarding this matter.

REPOST OF EARLIER COMPLAINT:

Tomroid is correct. I have the same issue. I've used both Osmo Pocket 1 and 2 for and filmed many, many videos with each. I mostly shoot in FPV mode. Both of these versions of Osmo Pocket would center in FPV mode from whatever vantage point the camera is pointed. Example: If the lens is facing downward and I recenter the gimbal it would recenter horizontally at the angle the camera is facing (downward). Another Example: If the camera lens was facing upward and I recentered the camera it would recenter horizontally with the camera in the direction the camera is facing (upward). NOW....with Osmo Pocket 3....if I am facing the camera lens downward and try to recenter....OSMO 3 moves to the horizon and recenters, similar to tilt lock. SO....this becomes a HUGE problem..... because if I try to recenter my camera in while it's facing downward or upward in FPV mode and then tilt or pull up, the camera view is now too high or too low and not centered and way above or below the point it should be at. This is definitely a bug and if not addressed you will end up receiving a ton of returns because FPV DOES NOT function like Osmo Pocket 1 & 2 versions. Tell the engineers to wake up and realize this is happening and a major issue with OP3!!! You did such a good job with this latest version but this could be the deal breaker for many many of your users and effect your market share once they figure out their camera is doing this. Which is a ROYAL Pain in the butt to deal with when filming.
2023-12-27
Use props
fans2d16f24b
lvl.1

United States

fans2d16f24b Posted at 12-27 19:22
REPOST OF EARLIER COMPLAINT:

Tomroid is correct. I have the same issue. I've used both Osmo Pocket 1 and 2 for and filmed many, many videos with each. I mostly shoot in FPV mode. Both of these versions of Osmo Pocket would center in FPV mode from whatever vantage point the camera is pointed. Example: If the lens is facing downward and I recenter the gimbal it would recenter horizontally at the angle the camera is facing (downward). Another Example: If the camera lens was facing upward and I recentered the camera it would recenter horizontally with the camera in the direction the camera is facing (upward). NOW....with Osmo Pocket 3....if I am facing the camera lens downward and try to recenter....OSMO 3 moves to the horizon and recenters, similar to tilt lock. SO....this becomes a HUGE problem..... because if I try to recenter my camera in while it's facing downward or upward in FPV mode and then tilt or pull up, the camera view is now too high or too low and not centered and way above or below the point it should be at. This is definitely a bug and if not addressed you will end up receiving a ton of returns because FPV DOES NOT function like Osmo Pocket 1 & 2 versions. Tell the engineers to wake up and realize this is happening and a major issue with OP3!!! You did such a good job with this latest version but this could be the deal breaker for many many of your users and effect your market share once they figure out their camera is doing this. Which is a ROYAL Pain in the butt to deal with when filming.

I JUST SENT MINE BACK FOR THIS EXACT REASON IN ABOVE POST.....HUGE PAIN IN THE REAR AND MAKES IMPOSSIBLE RUNNING AND GUNNING!  FPV OPERATED RIGHT ON 1 AND 2.....IN OP3 IT DOES NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY....TELL THE ENGINEERS THEIR TECHNICAL EGOS ARE GETTING IN THE WAY OF THEIR ABILITY TO FIX AN OBVIOUS CRITICAL FLAW IN A MODE THAT ALL OSMO POCKETS HAD BEFORE THIS LATEST ONE.

YOU DID SO MUCH RIGHT ON OP3 AND THEN DROPPED THE BALL WITH HOW FPV AND FOLLOW MODE RECENTER ISSUE. (BECAUSE IT DOES THE SAME THING IN FOLLOW MODE I REALISED LATER)

PLEASE FIX THIS!

PLEASE CORRECT THIS MAJOR ISSUE DJI @DJIGAMORA
2023-12-27
Use props
Drift.dk
lvl.3
  • >>>
Japan

fans2d16f24b Posted at 12-27 19:28
I JUST SENT MINE BACK FOR THIS EXACT REASON IN ABOVE POST.....HUGE PAIN IN THE REAR AND MAKES IMPOSSIBLE RUNNING AND GUNNING!  FPV OPERATED RIGHT ON 1 AND 2.....IN OP3 IT DOES NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY....TELL THE ENGINEERS THEIR TECHNICAL EGOS ARE GETTING IN THE WAY OF THEIR ABILITY TO FIX AN OBVIOUS CRITICAL FLAW IN A MODE THAT ALL OSMO POCKETS HAD BEFORE THIS LATEST ONE.

YOU DID SO MUCH RIGHT ON OP3 AND THEN DROPPED THE BALL WITH HOW FPV AND FOLLOW MODE RECENTER ISSUE. (BECAUSE IT DOES THE SAME THING IN FOLLOW MODE I REALISED LATER)

It's such a clear software issue that I think it will be fixed by firmware.

I'm not returning it and waiting for the next firmware, as there is currently no replacement for the OP3 and not enough stock on the market.
2023-12-27
Use props
HAYHOT
lvl.3
Vietnam

Drift.dk Posted at 12-27 20:59
It's such a clear software issue that I think it will be fixed by firmware.

I'm not returning it and waiting for the next firmware, as there is currently no replacement for the OP3 and not enough stock on the market.

i am afraid it is impossible . we wait op4
2023-12-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules