Pocket 3 Ultra-wide Distortion
577 9 2-8 12:30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
James6782
lvl.1
United States

Hi, I'm loving the Pocket 3, but when I slap on the ultra-wide magnetic lens, the distortion makes the image almost unusable, and the regular wide angle is not quite wide enough for my use case (real estate).
What's worse is that the distortion is not uniform across the image, so even when applying the Lens Distortion filter in Premiere Pro, it's impossible to get all your vertical lines straight.  It's almost like you would need a compound/variable version of that Lens Distortion correction in order to truly fix that ultrawide.

Any ideas around this?
- Is there another filter in Resolve or Final Cut that can help?
- Is it possible to get a little wider without putting the ultra wide lens on?
- Is there a future firmware update coming that will correct distortion in camera?

2-8 12:30
Use props
misticjeff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73609 ft
Portugal

Used to be in Real Estate.... perhaps if you provide a photo shot exactly the same with and without, we could have a better idea of your issue.  I've personally not seen much distortion other than a little bowing on the edges.
2-9 01:48
Use props
misticjeff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73609 ft
Portugal

Actually,

Take a look at this:

it may help you!!

2-9 01:54
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you using the official DJI wide angle filter?
2-9 02:19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please show us a sample photo, and are you using the DJI official Osmo Pocket 3 Wide-Angle Lens? Thank you.
2-10 01:00
Use props
James6782
lvl.1
United States

Yes, I'm using the DJI Ultra-wide clip on magnetic lens for the OP3.  I'm shooting video for the most part, but I'd imagine the same issue will come up with still photos too.  I shoot a lot of interiors, so those vertical lines are really noticeable if they are curved.  Attached is a frames from a short clip.

I attempted to correct that frame of the video with the Lens Distortion effect in Premiere.  I can get the vertical lines towards the side of frame straight, but then the lines closer to the center of frame start to curve the opposite way.  There is no value for "Curvature" that gets all lines straight.

2-12 18:47
Use props
DangerousRen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98179 ft
Canada

Really wish to have some good information on it because I am at the same state , I thought that maybe with gyroflow could work it out but no data in files for gyroflow…
2-12 21:11
Use props
Bullcrappy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87989 ft
  • >>>
United States

Still no lens profile to fix the wide angle lens distortion?  
5-6 13:51
Use props
James6782
lvl.1
United States

Not that I've seen, no.
5-7 10:25
Use props
neotint
lvl.1

United States

Reframing suggestion from a client-centered POV: this would be a bigger issue for your clients when shooting stills. Since you're shooting video clients will understand the space as you pan around using the built-in lens which is excellent. Just a thought.
5-7 10:54
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules