Ugly flares action 4 - no solution?
575 35 4-10 14:33
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

The Action 4 is a great camera and performs well in low light, but compared to the GoPro it has some very ugly flares that ruin your footage. It seems to be a lens issue, but maybe some specific protective glass, CPL or ND filter helps in this matter? Maybe one of you found a solution that helps?

4-10 14:33
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

the Osmo Pocket 3 has it as well their lens has a green tint to it but the  speaker type flare is not as harsh
4-10 14:54
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

I have a Pocket 3 and I fully accept its flares, but the Action 4 is very bad.
4-10 14:56
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Agree, the OA4 is just not called for, and  they should correct it on the OA5 but that will not be our fix
4-10 14:58
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D923%26typeid%3D923
4-10 15:11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you thought about a lens hood made from some black card or foam board.
4-11 02:08
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

its a learnin curve with  these 7 to 8 layer lenses now holding down the camera and not facing the Sun  or lights, is Key. Maybe due to the 155-degree lens. Action 3 was not as bad
4-11 03:15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, DJI_user_PL. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please provide a sample file showing the issue?
4-12 07:25
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-12 07:25
Hi, DJI_user_PL. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please provide a sample file showing the issue?

Hi,
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D923%26typeid%3D923
4-12 10:20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

DJI_user_PL Posted at 4-12 10:20
Hi,
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=297498&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D923%26typeid%3D923

We understand your concerns. When shooting in scenes with strong light sources, for example, shooting footage at sites with scattered light sources at night, shooting indoors with strong lighting, or shooting in strong sunlight, optical refraction and reflection may appear due to the lens structure and transparency. As a result, you may see "glare" on the screen or captured images. This is a common optical phenomenon, so please rest assured to use your camera.
If you frequently shoot footage in the mentioned scenarios, it is recommended to use the provided lens hood. This will greatly reduce the probability of glare occurrence.
4-15 07:08
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

I hope that Action 5 will not have a problem with such ugly flares. The problem is not that they are, but that they are a terrible shape.
4-15 13:10
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I lost my lens hood. It’s a pity that they aren’t available for sale from the store. Mind you, it was so shallow, I think just taking off the glass cover had the same effect.
4-15 13:19
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

Did this cover help at least a little? Probably just for the lights above the camera.
4-15 13:22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

DJI_user_PL Posted at 4-15 13:10
I hope that Action 5 will not have a problem with such ugly flares. The problem is not that they are, but that they are a terrible shape.

We'd like you to know that we appreciate your valuable suggestions. We will forward your concern to our related department. Thank you for your continued support.
4-15 15:22
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

DJI_user_PL Posted at 4-15 13:22
Did this cover help at least a little? Probably just for the lights above the camera.

You could try this. It's for the osmo action but it's rubber so this could be stretchable:
https://djinyc.com/products/pgytech-osmo-action-lens-hood

This is for the 3, not sure if it will fit for the 4.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005100299912.html
4-15 17:34
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That PGYtech  hood looks way better than the original one. I thought the original might as well not be on because it was so shallow. I just take the glass lens cover off. That one in the link looks a bit more effective. Those hoods are difficult to find in the UK.

Thank you, Osmonauta.
4-16 01:10
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

Such a cover may help a little, but only for lights from above, the flares at a smaller angle will still be there.
5-8 09:09
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

remove the protect glass lens, the flare vanishes.

(there is a cover with no glass in the box, but this will not be waterproof when removing the protect lens.)
5-8 18:51
Use props
Mizzu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

DJI-ytao Posted at 5-8 18:51
remove the protect glass lens, the flare vanishes.

(there is a cover with no glass in the box, but this will not be waterproof when removing the protect lens.)

Yeah. DJI simply would have to create another Lens Glass Cover with some other coatings (or maybe a glass that's a little bent or whatever, I'm not an engineer), this really can't be such big of a deal.

I hate the shape of the flares as well. Never seen something so ugly.
5-8 19:40
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

Unfortunately, removing the cover does not help everything, flares still appear and they have a very ugly shape. An action camera should not have an unprotected lens, this is not a solution.
DJI, try to do something about this problem, maybe as Mizzu wrote - some other cover that will help get rid of flares with such an ugly shape. The Action 4 is a fantastic camera, except for the flare issue.

5-9 00:55
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

IMHO agree, disagree, Like, Downvote, that is called Critism:

this is what we have

Action 5 may have the  new lens, not noted by DJI. the Lenses layers causes flares,

Screenshot 2024-05-09 071124.png
5-9 03:11
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Actually, only us creators "complain" about flares, and I have yet to get any comments on my videos about it and doubt the rest of you have either.
I just try not to care about it.
Maybe we could try with a sun screen, should get one 3D printed.
5-9 11:42
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Days we all cried about CCD start trek beams now we cry about these speaker beams

but you know what its even on the OP3 not as big but a totally different lens, and I get used to it.  Just stop pointing the camera in the Light
5-9 11:45
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

CCD sensors was the best at that time
5-10 05:41
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I wonder if these flares are part of the HDR side of the camera and lens?
5-10 10:27
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

If I remember right they will appear with D-Log M also, so it's probably the lens.
5-10 11:57
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

Yes, it's the optics' fault, but maybe DJI will come up with another cover that will absorb such reflections?
5-10 13:44
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Anyone with Pocket 2 or 3 here that can see if they have the same flare like OA4? I have seen one guy with his I think was a Pocket 2 with same kind of flares with street lights.
Can anyone confirm or debunk this?
5-16 11:16
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Here is my screen shot of the  flare Pocket 3
5-16 12:28
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

And here the one I discovered from this video

screenshot flare.jpg
5-16 12:32
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 5-16 12:32
And here the one I discovered from this video

really its less noticable on the Pocket 3 if asked
5-16 12:34
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 5-16 12:34
really its less noticable on the Pocket 3 if asked

I see that, and I think he uses Pocket 2.
My theory was if OA4 and Pocket 2 have same glasses in lens.
5-16 12:37
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 5-16 12:37
I see that, and I think he uses Pocket 2.
My theory was if OA4 and Pocket 2 have same glasses in lens.

Not sure  aboutthat OA4 has 7 or 8 layers of glasse. that  the front lens protector can be removed, but hte Pocket 1, 2, and 3 is permamant glass over the lens

IMHO.  so this  flaring ,  can be controlled but not going to get resolved.
Agree they can be made of the same manufacturer that DJI chosen.
5-16 12:43
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 5-16 12:43
Not sure  aboutthat OA4 has 7 or 8 layers of glasse. that  the front lens protector can be removed, but hte Pocket 1, 2, and 3 is permamant glass over the lens

IMHO.  so this  flaring ,  can be controlled but not going to get resolved.

Aha.. Yeah I think they all came from the same factory.
5-16 12:48
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

Pocket 3 looks better than Action 4.
5-16 12:55
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Here is a Pocket 3  at low level Because of the background blur you may see small colored circles around a light.   sorry do not  want to  bring off topic but at least we get to see how Each DJI differs.

5-16 16:05
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules