I'll let the footage speak for itself:
4-26 22:18
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 984478 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Honestly that does not look nearly as bad as Avata 1 and looks very similar to what most other ducted drones will do.
4-26 23:02
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wasnt there a warning for that when you turned on M mode.  
4-27 00:17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, just double-confirm, may I know if the aircraft was in manual mode?
4-27 00:19
Use props
Shadetail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 785125 ft
Croatia

> Honestly that does not look nearly as bad as Avata 1 and looks very similar to what most other ducted drones will do.

I don't have Avata 1, so I can't compare the experience directly. I'm aware of the issue and have saw many videos about it showing it. I found it misleading how many youtubers are claiming that compared to Avata 1, with Avata 2 this has been fixed, or mostly fixed, at least to the point of it not being a problem at all anymore, which clearly isn't the case seeing how it almost caused a crash or two. I do have lot of experience flying manual so I was able to catch myself before hitting the ground, but if the bug happened a split second later, I'm not sure I would have had enough time to react.

> Wasnt there a warning for that when you turned on M mode.
I don't recall seeing any warnings about this particular bug, though to be honest I did gloss over the warnings, as they looked like all the same warnings I already saw in my DJI FPV drone that I've been flying in manual for last 3 years.

> Hi there, just double-confirm, may I know if the aircraft was in manual mode?

Yes, this is manual mode.

4-27 00:59
Use props
Max Phlanx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1223816 ft
United Kingdom

Two very good catches! Holy smoke they were both close lol. If this is well known then it must be something aerodynamic with these types of drones perhaps?
4-27 13:40
Use props
Arri_fpv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88248 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey, i spotted identical issue with mine yesterday in clear sunny weather , it would dip randomly when banking left or right ! Drone behaved unstable. Guess  im not alone with this issue
5-6 01:37
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That would scare something out of me.
5-14 22:47
Use props
MisterSpyezFPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

don't build your hopes up as there is no firmware fix for this...
5-15 00:27
Use props
user82c6a944d3
lvl.2

Spain

I have the same problem, I can assure you that it happens especially when making a sudden descent in height at speed and turning to the left side,
I have tried turning without descending in height and it doesn't seem to happen...
5-15 00:48
Use props
djkiter78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4241526 ft
Thailand

I came across this guy on YouTube and his footage also speaks for itself.

5-15 01:28
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

This reminds me of the story about a man who visits his doctor & complains, "Doc, every time I hop on one foot while squeezing my testicles it hurts."

The doctor looks at him dismissively & replies, "Then don't do that!"
5-15 02:33
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djkiter78 Posted at 5-15 01:28
I came across this guy on YouTube and his footage also speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9FgFyG_5Mw

Personally this video does absolutely nothing for me.  There is no fluidity or cinematic quality to this whatsoever.  Blowing through gaps is cool, but not if you are just snapping the drone about on the edge of control.  It is like viewing an unstabilized hand-held video where the camera is darting all about.  I find it rather nauseating to view.  I prefer something like this:

5-15 02:42
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

djkiter78 Posted at 5-15 01:28
I came across this guy on YouTube and his footage also speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9FgFyG_5Mw

Notice how he never throws the drone sideways at speed, because he's aware of aircrafts limitations? That's what good pilots do, use the drone to the best of its abilities instead of trying to push it to do something it's not made for and then complain on forums
5-15 04:20
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-15 02:42
Personally this video does absolutely nothing for me.  There is no fluidity or cinematic quality to this whatsoever.  Blowing through gaps is cool, but not if you are just snapping the drone about on the edge of control.  It is like viewing an unstabilized hand-held video where the camera is darting all about.  I find it rather nauseating to view.  I prefer something like this:

https://youtu.be/yLugUnroZAA?si=HSIx6iWGRgHilK31

That would've been a nice video with some smoother pitch control. I personally think it looks less fluid than the freestyle video above but that's all subjective.
5-15 04:25
Use props
djkiter78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4241526 ft
Thailand

Ok so same dude just posted a new video. I think that the barrier to entry to the  FPV hobby has gone down with the DJI Avata series, and the flood of inexperienced pilots (me included!) with our collective rookie mistakes seems to be overshadowing what the Avata 2 is truly capable of in the right hands. I can only hope to be as good as this guy so I'm going to rack up my hours in Liftoff before I even think of buying the FPV RC3.

5-15 06:18
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djkiter78 Posted at 5-15 06:18
Ok so same dude just posted a new video. I think that the barrier to entry to the  FPV hobby has gone down with the DJI Avata series, and the flood of inexperienced pilots (me included!) with our collective rookie mistakes seems to be overshadowing what the Avata 2 is truly capable of in the right hands. I can only hope to be as good as this guy so I'm going to rack up my hours in Liftoff before I even think of buying the FPV RC3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZR8ilWo82U

This flight I enjoyed.
5-15 13:07
Use props
player_87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 777917 ft
Ireland

Shadetail Posted at 4-27 00:59
> Honestly that does not look nearly as bad as Avata 1 and looks very similar to what most other ducted drones will do.
I don't have Avata 1, so I can't compare the experience directly. I'm aware of the issue and have saw many videos about it showing it. I found it misleading how many youtubers are claiming that compared to Avata 1, with Avata 2 this has been fixed, or mostly fixed, at least to the point of it not being a problem at all anymore, which clearly isn't the case seeing how it almost caused a crash or two. I do have lot of experience flying manual so I was able to catch myself before hitting the ground, but if the bug happened a split second later, I'm not sure I would have had enough time to react.
    > Wasnt there a warning for that when you turned on M mode.

Bro, it's not a "bug" it's called physics. You have to be aware of cinewhoop-s limitations. All of the cinewhoops have this flaw... off course the design of the drone could be better to avoid the tumble but it is what it is. You've said that you have a lot of experience in FPV, so why are you trying to descent and do quick yaw movement at high speed ? That's not cinematic either freestyle. No means to disrespect, but I don't think that you have recovered your drone from tumble, I think that avata safety system recovered it for you.

To be honest I am trying and trying and I can't force my avata2 to tumble, even at high speed.... can someone pls help me out ? Maybe it's my subconscious that is not allowing me to descent and do quick yaw with throttle release IDK  
5-15 14:18
Use props
Shadetail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 785125 ft
Croatia

player_87 Posted at 5-15 14:18
Bro, it's not a "bug" it's called physics. You have to be aware of cinewhoop-s limitations. All of the cinewhoops have this flaw... off course the design of the drone could be better to avoid the tumble but it is what it is. You've said that you have a lot of experience in FPV, so why are you trying to descent and do quick yaw movement at high speed ? That's not cinematic either freestyle. No means to disrespect, but I don't think that you have recovered your drone from tumble, I think that avata safety system recovered it for you.

To be honest I am trying and trying and I can't force my avata2 to tumble, even at high speed.... can someone pls help me out ?  Maybe it's my subconscious that is not allowing me to descent and do quick yaw with throttle release IDK

I edited the title of the post to replace "bug" with "feature".

I said I have a lot of experience flying manual, referring to flying DJI FPV drone for 3 years. I (obviously) have no prior experience flying cinewhoops, but I can guarantee that I've been performing maneuvers like these with DJI FPV drone countless times with no instabilities. So I wouldn't consider this to be bad piloting in the wider context of FPV, but only in the context of cinewhoops.

The real issue is lack of publicity regarding this feature, how and why it happens and how to avoid it. Many have already crashed their Avatas because they were unaware of this. DJI should have made people aware of this, but they didn't because presumably it would be bad for marketing. I hope that by sharing my footage, others can learn about this cinewhoop feature and future crashes can be averted.

I performed a descent with a quick yaw movement because that's exactly what I wanted to do in that moment. I was at the time demonstrating mild acro and shear speed and maneuverability of an fpv drone to a friend that only ever flew his DJI Phantom at snails pace, and had no idea what fpv drones were capable of. So no, that wasn't meant to be cinematic, it was freestyle, if anything. I think the word free in freestyle implies the freedom of choice with regards to style, an artistic licence of sorts.

I also wondered if some safety system exists that helped recover the drone or if it was all me, and was hoping DJI would chip in with any such info, but even after I suggested they should implement some such safety system, they haven't mentioned in reply that anything like that already exists, but maybe it does and the customer service people are unaware of it. I would have to try to dig out flight logs to see if drone movement and stick deflection perfectly match or not. Too bad there's no stick overlay on the HUD as it would then be visible in the headset footage.

If you're doing the exact maneuver in the video, and your Avata 2 is not tumbling, then maybe it is actually a bug affecting only some units. Otherwise you're not doing the same maneuver. I uploaded the headset version of the video for you that includes a HUD horizontal and vertical speed readout, hopefully that can help you try to mirror the maneuver more closely:

5-16 00:01
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

fichek Posted at 4-26 23:02
Honestly that does not look nearly as bad as Avata 1 and looks very similar to what most other ducted drones will do.

I have a lot of whoops (from meteor to Cinelog35V2, from 31mm to 3,5": 35mm, 40mm, 45mm, 51mm, 65mm, 91mm dutced props), and NO ONE has a similar behavior.
Just always justify DJI
5-16 00:05
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

Luca Rubino Posted at 5-16 00:05
I have a lot of cinewhoops (from meteor to Cinelog35V2), and NO ONE has a similar behavior.
Just always justify DJI

I've also gone through my fair share of whoops over past 6 years ranging from 65mm 1S to 3.5" 6S and they all have some form of yaw washout (the ones with like thin carbon guards are the most resistant). I have yet to see it happen with Avata 2 though, so these reports are either massively exaggerated, or people just don't know how to fly ducted drones.
5-16 00:11
Use props
player_87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 777917 ft
Ireland

Shadetail Posted at 5-16 00:01
I edited the title of the post to replace "bug" with "feature".

I said I have a lot of experience flying manual, referring to flying DJI FPV drone for 3 years. I (obviously) have no prior experience flying cinewhoops, but I can guarantee that I've been performing maneuvers like these with DJI FPV drone countless times with no instabilities. So I wouldn't consider this to be bad piloting in the wider context of FPV, but only in the context of cinewhoops.

Shadetail, you've made my day by changing the word in the title to "feature"

I absolutely understand your frustration, the design of avata2 doesn't help to avoid that "feature". For sure it's better than avata1 but far from being perfect. It would be great if avata2 would be more customizable.
At the same time we've got to remember that avata drone doesn't have tumble issue when is being used in normal or sport mode. RC3 have to be purchased separately, which opens up possibility to fly in acro.
Unfortunately acro means that you have to deal with issues on your own, and you have to be aware of drone possibilities/limitations.

I am not defending DJI here, as I don't belong to "DJI church" I have 99 other problems with avata2 but tumble isn't one

Like you've said you didn't have experience with cinewhoops, but now you do and that is a beauty of this. You will have more skills now and you will know what moves you should avoid.

TBH I don't like cinewhoops at all, but avata2 is the only convenient choice for me when I travel.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, ill try to force my avata to tumble
5-16 15:26
Use props
GTHero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1832372 ft
Australia

djkiter78 Posted at 5-15 06:18
Ok so same dude just posted a new video. I think that the barrier to entry to the  FPV hobby has gone down with the DJI Avata series, and the flood of inexperienced pilots (me included!) with our collective rookie mistakes seems to be overshadowing what the Avata 2 is truly capable of in the right hands. I can only hope to be as good as this guy so I'm going to rack up my hours in Liftoff before I even think of buying the FPV RC3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZR8ilWo82U

This guy has impressive skills, but he must have a different definition of 'cinematic' to mine. :-)
5-16 18:31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules