Avata 2 first impressions
168 4 5-5 05:52
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2007070 ft
Canada

Well, a little more than 3 weeks after ordering the Avata 2 - 3 battery kit from DJI store I finally got to do my first flights yesterday. My first kit had to be sent back and replaced due to nonfunctional goggles. The replacement kit arrived day before yesterday, activated and completed setup without any issues. Have flown 2 full batteries in the forest trails and one inside the house. No issues so far.

The Avata 2 is so much quieter than my Avata 1. I can fly it outside without fear of waking up the entire city and fly indoors without earplugs.

Although not a lot of difference on paper, the Avata 2 batteries seem to last way longer than my Avata 1 batteries (around 50 cyles on them).

I flew it in some forest trails that I regularly fly with the Avata 1. The Avata 2 has noticeably better signal penetration through the trees and behind hills where I usually start getting signal weakening in the Avata 1. I'll have to take both out one day and compare to see exactly how much further through the forest I can go with the Avata 2 before signal degrades too much.

I shot video through a forest on a heavily overcast day in 4:3 D-Log-M and applied the DJI D-Log-M to rec. 709 Lut. The video looks a lot more vibrant with noticeable increased dynamic range than the Avata 1 on the same trail in similar lighting conditions.

Yesterday's flights in the forest were with the motion 3 and the indoor flight was with the FPV Controller 3. I like the ergonomics of the Motion 3 much better than the Motion 2 and I find the AR cursor is very useful in accessing the menus. Although it seems some of the menu functions aren't accessible with the cursor (scrolling past the bottom selection) and I have to switch over to the 5D button to complete.

I found the flight characteristics on a winding trail through the trees with the motion 3 to be quite different than the Avata 1/motion 2. I'll have to practice a bunch more with the motion 3 to really see if I can get as good as with the old setup. The flight weaving through the trees was considerably more difficult to control with the Avata 2., It felt a lot more mushy and seemed to slide sideways through the turns resulting in a wallowing flight path. The Avata 1/motion2 is more responsive and like it is locked on rails as it weaves through the turns. Hopefully it's just a matter of getting used to the different flight characteristics and adjusting my control inputs to produce an equally good result. A little concerning for me at this point as weaving through the trees is one of my favourite things to do with the Avata. The videos looked noticeably better as far as image quality but nowhere near as good in terms of the flight path smoothness.

Looking forward to getting in some more flights with it next week as the rain started today and is forecast for the next few days. I'd also like to get out to some open fields and try out the Manual flight.
5-5 05:52
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you reach the end of a menu you can use the joystick on the MC3 to scroll to the section above or below.
5-5 06:00
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2007070 ft
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-5 06:00
When you reach the end of a menu you can use the joystick on the MC3 to scroll to the section above or below.

Awesome. Thanks for that DB.
5-5 06:05
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

MRDroneRookie Posted at 5-5 06:05
Awesome. Thanks for that DB.

The joystick works in the camera settings also, where the menu has more selections off-screen to the right.  Just use the MC3 joystick to move further right or go back to the left.
5-5 06:44
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, MRDroneRookie. Thank you for sharing your experience with the Avata 2 and your comparison feedback between the Avata and Avata 2. Should you need assistance with your drone please don't hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Have a safe flight always!
5-7 23:46
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules