Bremetennacum - Ribchester Roman Bath House & St. Wilfrid's Churc...
146 18 5-6 08:00
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Bilbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27493 ft

United Kingdom

The village of Ribchester  with the outlying hamlet of  Stydd is situated in the picturesque  Ribble Valley in the heart of rural  Lancashire. Ribchester grew out of  the ruins of the Roman fort of  Bremetenaccum and the Parish Church of  St Wilfrid's stands where the  principal buildings of the fort would  have been.

Join  my flight starting over the River Ribble and head towards the beautiful   church before we look at the remains of the masonry walls of several   rooms belonging to a Roman bath complex from the 2nd century CE. The  church is built on top of the Roman fort of Bremetennacum Veteranorum,   and stones from the fort are built into the fabric of the church  (indeed, a former rector claimed that two Doric pillars supporting the   organ loft came from the Roman fort). A similar pair of pillars support   the porch of the White Bull Hotel nearby.

The   fort was established in the late 1st or early 2nd century AD and grew   to become a substantial and important cavalry fort, with a sizeable  town  growing up around it. It seems likely that by the 6th century the  town,  which became known as Riblecastre, would have had a small wooden   church, probably on the site of the old Roman Principium.

Music: As Baile (2008 Remaster) · Enya

Paul.

5-6 08:00
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

What a curious clock on the tower!
5-6 12:11
Use props
Paul Bilbo
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 5-6 12:11
What a curious clock on the tower!

I couldn't find any history on the clock - I can only assume it was of typical design.

However, a striking feature is the sundial (seen at the 4.01mins mark).

It’s 17th century, but the tall flight of steps that it stands on is much older, probably medieval 13th-14th century. At the top of them would have stood a tall cross, now long gone with no trace of it to be found, a fate of many crosses throughout the country. The top step supporting the sundial bears the thoughtful inscription: “I am a shadow, so art thou. I mark time, dost thou?”

Paul.
5-6 13:31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lovely footage and I really liked the architectural style of the old Church.  The clock on the tower did look like it was out of place...I'm guessing it was an add-on somewhere along the line.  Superb job on the video Paul.  
5-6 13:34
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Depp Posted at 5-6 12:11
What a curious clock on the tower!

I'm thinking that clock was added on many years later.  It really doesn't match up with the architectural style of the church.  
5-6 13:35
Use props
Paul Bilbo
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-6 13:34
Lovely footage and I really liked the architectural style of the old Church.  The clock on the tower did look like it was out of place...I'm guessing it was an add-on somewhere along the line.  Superb job on the video Paul.

Cheers - it's good to actually get out flyimg again to be honest!

Paull
5-6 13:40
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Paul Bilbo Posted at 5-6 13:40
Cheers - it's good to actually get out flyimg again to be honest!

Paull

It's always a grand day when you have time to fly and when the weather permits.  A good day flying beats a day at work anytime.    Happy flying Paul.
5-6 14:00
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-6 13:35
I'm thinking that clock was added on many years later.  It really doesn't match up with the architectural style of the church.

I surely seems so: completely off center and as a rotated square...
5-6 21:15
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

Paul Bilbo Posted at 5-6 13:31
I couldn't find any history on the clock - I can only assume it was of typical design.

However, a striking feature is the sundial (seen at the 4.01mins mark).

Can you check the time stamp? 4.01 it's not.
5-6 21:16
Use props
Paul Bilbo
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 5-6 21:16
Can you check the time stamp? 4.01 it's not.
My bad...

2.12 to 2.26 of course  ;)

Paul.
5-6 22:25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely filmed Paul.   
5-6 23:15
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

Paul Bilbo Posted at 5-6 22:25
My bad...

2.12 to 2.26 of course  ;)

That's fascinating - I don't think I ever saw a free standing one, just those on the walls...
5-7 05:21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Depp Posted at 5-6 21:15
I surely seems so: completely off center and as a rotated square...

I couldn't agree more.  Hope you are having a great week Depp.  
5-7 13:43
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-7 13:43
I couldn't agree more.  Hope you are having a great week Depp.

Thank you, Downtown. Yes, it's quite all right so far. Hope you have a nice one yourself!
5-7 21:44
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Depp Posted at 5-7 21:44
Thank you, Downtown. Yes, it's quite all right so far. Hope you have a nice one yourself!

Thanks Depp.  Been busy scuba diving.  Yesterday I found a really, really nice watch and a very ornate money clip.  The money clip didn't have any bills attached and the watch was not a Rolex but it lists for retail on the internet at $400.  I'll just add that to my collection of found watches, rings and necklaces.  
5-8 02:37
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 02:37
Thanks Depp.  Been busy scuba diving.  Yesterday I found a really, really nice watch and a very ornate money clip.  The money clip didn't have any bills attached and the watch was not a Rolex but it lists for retail on the internet at $400.  I'll just add that to my collection of found watches, rings and necklaces.

I first thought you were into expensive watches and shiny luxury objects but that's what you found on the bottom of the sea!? Pretty cool.
5-8 04:00
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Depp Posted at 5-8 04:00
I first thought you were into expensive watches and shiny luxury objects but that's what you found on the bottom of the sea!? Pretty cool.

Yes, from the sea.  They were down about 40 meters.  I don't think they had been there too long as both were in really good shape.  I took the cover off the watch and the insides were dry so I replace the battery and now it's working like new.  There were no markings, inscriptions, etc on it to identify the owner so I could get it back to him so I'll just add it to my collection of many other things I've found under the water.  
5-8 12:35
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely old place. Nice job on the video.
5-10 09:38
Use props
Paul Bilbo
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-10 09:38
Lovely old place. Nice job on the video.

Thank you, it's a lovely place to sit and watch the world.

Paul.
5-13 08:00
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules