349 67 5-8 08:51
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14312858 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Manual read, battery charged, FW updated, RC3 bound to Goggles 3, sticks calibrated, custom settings done and the mode 2 throttle stick now set to FPV - it's time to begin learning manual flight mode in the sim this evening!
5-8 08:51
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IMG_9138.jpeg
5-8 09:00
Use props
MAF178
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Kuwait

Great AJ Thats alot of fun

i would suggest these rates for you if you are willing to do cinematic moves in manual mode

0.50-350-0.35
0.50-350-0.35
0.50-320-0.35

Good luck
5-8 09:22
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IMG_9139.jpeg
5-8 09:25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MAF178 Posted at 5-8 09:22
Great AJ Thats alot of fun

i would suggest these rates for you if you are willing to do cinematic moves in manual mode

Thanks.
Slowing the rates is a good idea - I'll be restricting attitude to start with anyway so no rolls and spins for a while.
5-8 09:31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats on getting the RC3 AJ.  It fits very nicely in the bag.  
5-8 14:01
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 14:01
Congrats on getting the RC3 AJ.  It fits very nicely in the bag.

Got room in there for a 4th battery and that's it!
5-8 14:04
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 14:04
Got room in there for a 4th battery and that's it!

No doubt a 4th battery will max out that bag.  
5-8 14:19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 14:19
No doubt a 4th battery will max out that bag.

Yep - it wll need to be stored in the drone too if I get one. Happy with my lot at the moment.
5-8 14:37
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats, you're one step ahead of me; haven't dipped into the manual mode arena yet.  Did you spend much time on a simulator?
5-8 14:38
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-8 14:38
Congrats, you're one step ahead of me; haven't dipped into the manual mode arena yet.  Did you spend much time on a simulator?

Been on the CurryKitten sim the past few days on my iPhone with screen mirroring to my 4K TV but that set up does not work with my RC3 so been using my DualSense Edge controller as my old macbook is not powerful enough to get one of the STEAM sims so this will have to do.
TBH I have not crashed in the sim tonight in Angle mode. Going to fly tomorrow keeping the throttle stick tension removed and stay in normal and sport for a few flights then back on the sim. I'm taking her up in normal mode on the weekend to around 250' and switching to manual for the first time but keeping the attitude limit enabled to stop rolls and spins mid flight with my finger on the pause button. Got to take the plunge sometime and I have taken to the Avata 2 really well with no crashes in my first 18 flights on the motion controller where I'm constantly flying in Sport mode.   
5-8 14:48
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you fling the sim in Angle mode and not Acro mode?    Angle mode is basically like any GPS assisted drone, Acro is the manual mode.

PS the stick mod is optional, Im flying manual without doing that so I can fly N/S as well normally.
5-9 00:14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 00:14
Are you fling the sim in Angle mode and not Acro mode?    Angle mode is basically like any GPS assisted drone, Acro is the manual mode.

PS the stick mod is optional, Im flying manual without doing that so I can fly N/S as well normally.

I've been doing both just to get a feel for it. I'm quite annoyed that DJI doesn't have their own sim for the goggles 3 and RC3 - it's very limited unless you have a powerful pc or mac with a steam account.

I'm going to give the stick mod a try and see if that helps with controlling the altitude and overall control - can always switch back if too much too soon.
5-9 00:35
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 00:35
I've been doing both just to get a feel for it. I'm quite annoyed that DJI doesn't have their own sim for the goggles 3 and RC3 - it's very limited unless you have a powerful pc or mac with a steam account.

I'm going to give the stick mod a try and see if that helps with controlling the altitude and overall control - can always switch back if too much too soon.

Have you got yourself a lanyard to that you can pinch the sticks with the stick mod?
5-9 00:43
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 00:43
Have you got yourself a lanyard to that you can pinch the sticks with the stick mod?

Not yet - I have big hands and always use my thumbs plus I've set the mod to keep it tight. I'll bring my index finger behind the stick for precision and use the thumb to control.
5-9 00:55
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 00:55
Not yet - I have big hands and always use my thumbs plus I've set the mod to keep it tight. I'll bring my index finger behind the stick for precision and use the thumb to control.

Ive not done the mod on mine its not really necessary,  you cant just let go,  but then I dont think thats a good idea in manual mode anyway.  
5-9 01:03
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 01:03
Ive not done the mod on mine its not really necessary,  you cant just let go,  but then I dont think thats a good idea in manual mode anyway.

It sets the throttle from -100-0-+100 to 0-+100 so won't auto move to 50 in the centre in manual and releases that tension on the stick. You will always need to keep control of both sticks in manual as the mode 2 left stick will also control yaw/central axis rotation of the quad and needs to be moved in correlation with the roll on the other stick to maintain direction and thats in addition to throttle.
I kind of understand the physics of why doing the mod in FPV is good idea. If you mainly fly in normal/sport then leave the stick as it is but I bought the RC3 to fly in manual. If I only intend to fly in normal/sport I'll use the motion controller.
5-9 01:09
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 01:09
It sets the throttle from -100-0-+100 to 0-+100 so won't auto move to 50 in the centre in manual and releases that tension on the stick. You will always need to keep control of both sticks in manual as the mode 2 left stick will also control yaw/central axis rotation of the quad and needs to be moved in correlation with the roll on the other stick to maintain direction and thats in addition to throttle.
I kind of understand the physics of why doing the mod in FPV is good idea. If you mainly fly in normal/sport then leave the stick as it is but I bought the RC3 to fly in manual. If I only intend to fly in normal/sport I'll use the motion controller.

Im dedicating 1 battery in 3 for manual flights at the moment,    if its windy it makes it much harder so I just stick to 1 flight.  Still here today so I may fly 2 manual batteries.
5-9 01:15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 01:15
Im dedicating 1 battery in 3 for manual flights at the moment,    if its windy it makes it much harder so I just stick to 1 flight.  Still here today so I may fly 2 manual batteries.

Once I'm ready and make the switch every single flight will be in manual until I've nailed it. Whether thats a week or a year I will nail it!
5-9 01:16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 01:16
Once I'm ready and make the switch every single flight will be in manual until I've nailed it. Whether thats a week or a year I will nail it!

Im not that dedicated to it.  I might have been if the goggles had been compatible with the O3 unit but as thats not happened Im somewhat put off for now.
5-9 01:18
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 01:18
Im not that dedicated to it.  I might have been if the goggles had been compatible with the O3 unit but as thats not happened Im somewhat put off for now.

You need to be totally dedicated to learning it I think or it'll drive you nuts. I'll see how I go. The Avata 2 is my only drone these days so ecosystem compatibility doesn't concern me so much but I appreciate how frustrating that can be for others who want to use the latest tech on older models. I guess devices can't internally switch between different ocusync transmissions.
I am annoyed that my RC3 doesn't work on iOS with the CurryKitten FPV sim
5-9 01:33
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 01:33
You need to be totally dedicated to learning it I think or it'll drive you nuts. I'll see how I go. The Avata 2 is my only drone these days so ecosystem compatibility doesn't concern me so much but I appreciate how frustrating that can be for others who want to use the latest tech on older models. I guess devices can't internally switch between different ocusync transmissions.
I am annoyed that my RC3 doesn't work on iOS with the CurryKitten FPV sim

My plan was to buy the avata combo and a build and fly,  but as they didnt carry the Integra compatibility over to the new goggles Im out of luck on that one,   what I should have done was buy the Avata 1 when it £400 off the combo price and then I would have had goggles with much better compatibility.   

IOS needs a bluetooth controller,  oh wait thats what the RC3 is now.
5-9 01:51
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 01:51
My plan was to buy the avata combo and a build and fly,  but as they didnt carry the Integra compatibility over to the new goggles Im out of luck on that one,   what I should have done was buy the Avata 1 when it £400 off the combo price and then I would have had goggles with much better compatibility.   

It seems the DJI sim also works/ed with goggles 2 and the avata 1. Shame it's not carried over.

BTW - angle mode in FPV is still manual but it limits the attitude of the drone to prevent rolling and spinning but you still need to manually control the throttle, yaw, pitch and roll for direction, rotation, altitude and speed. Its basically a simplified version within manual mode but is not a GPS mode. If you release the sticks in angle mode you will still crash - even on the currykitten sim and rolling left/right does not move the drone without throttle as to be expected in manual flying. On the avata 2 you need to switch manual with attitude limited on to replicate angle mode. Xaviers last video on YT was showing how to fly in manual in angle mode on the Avata 2. It's recommeded you learn in angle mode when starting in manual then move up to acro (also referred to as 'full' manual).
5-9 02:07
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 02:07
It seems the DJI sim also works/ed with goggles 2 and the avata 1. Shame it's not carried over.

BTW - angle mode in FPV is still manual but it limits the attitude of the drone to prevent rolling and spinning but you still need to manually control the throttle, yaw, pitch and roll for direction, rotation, altitude and speed. Its basically a simplified version within manual mode but is not a GPS mode. If you release the sticks in angle mode you will still crash - even on the currykitten sim and rolling left/right does not move the drone without throttle as to be expected in manual flying. On the avata 2 you need to switch manual with attitude limited on to replicate angle mode. Xaviers last video on YT was showing how to fly in manual in angle mode on the Avata 2. It's recommeded you learn in angle mode when starting in manual then move up to acro (also referred to as 'full' manual).

On mine angle mode is just like flying a normal drone.  If you let go of the sticks it will just hover etc whereas in acro that doesn’t happen.  
5-9 02:17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 14:37
Yep - it wll need to be stored in the drone too if I get one. Happy with my lot at the moment.

Sounds like the Avata 2 is your new best friend.  
5-9 02:42
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-9 02:42

It is mate - I've just flown it in MANUAL MODE! Did three whole battery flights back-to-back this afternoon but with the new RC3 and did the last two fligths in manual (with attitude limits enabled so no spinning). It felt very different but a lot easier than I thought and much easier than the sim and no crashes! I'll upload some footage later - nothing exciting to watch but another big step for me into the world of FPV.  
5-9 05:09
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 02:17
On mine angle mode is just like flying a normal drone.  If you let go of the sticks it will just hover etc whereas in acro that doesn’t happen.

I've done it! Two batteries in manual without crashing! Obviously not the best footage but kept control for most of the time and much easier than the sim - I'll upload some of the manual flight later.
5-9 05:12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 05:12
I've done it! Two batteries in manual without crashing! Obviously not the best footage but kept control for most of the time and much easier than the sim - I'll upload some of the manual flight later.

Excellent ,   I flew three and even took off in manual but switched to normal to land.   
5-9 05:14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 05:14
Excellent   ,   I flew three and even took off in manual but switched to normal to land.

I took off and landed in normal but only used the pause button a few times while staying high. At one point I was liike what is everyone going on about - this is easy. Then the drone started to roll and I thought OK - time to pause.
I enjoyed it. I'll be disabling attitude soon I think and going full manual as and when I feel confident at lower altitudes and higher pitch angles.
5-9 05:20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 05:20
I took off and landed in normal but only used the pause button a few times while staying high. At one point I was liike what is everyone going on about - this is easy. Then the drone started to roll and I thought OK - time to pause.
I enjoyed it. I'll be disabling attitude soon I think and going full manual as and when I feel confident at lower altitudes and higher pitch angles.

Did you fly backwards yet?
5-9 05:23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 05:23
Did you fly backwards yet?

By accident lol
5-9 05:32
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 05:32
By accident lol

I wish there was a setting to auto set the gimbal when you do,  that would make life easier.
5-9 05:57
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 05:57
I wish there was a setting to auto set the gimbal when you do,  that would make life easier.

I had mine set to 10 degrees at first then went straight to 15 degrees. Hit around the same top speeds in sport mode but turning the attitude limit on stopped me from pitching too low and diving into the ground at 60mph. This drone is going to be fun.
5-9 06:02
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I also noticed that there is no low battery RTH countdown in manual - it just states battery getting low.
5-9 06:04
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-9 02:42

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D780%26typeid%3D780
5-9 08:25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D780%26typeid%3D780
5-9 08:25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 08:25
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=312101&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D780%26typeid%3D780

Cool.   BTW if you do an @ before the name they will get notified about the thread now.

Ive got to copy my footage off so I'll post something later.
5-9 08:29
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 08:29
Cool.   BTW if you do an @ before the name they will get notified about the thread now.

Ive got to copy my footage off so I'll post something later.

Good to know - thanks DA
5-9 08:46
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-9 05:09
It is mate - I've just flown it in MANUAL MODE! Did three whole battery flights back-to-back this afternoon but with the new RC3 and did the last two fligths in manual (with attitude limits enabled so no spinning). It felt very different but a lot easier than I thought and much easier than the sim and no crashes! I'll upload some footage later - nothing exciting to watch but another big step for me into the world of FPV.

Congrats AJ.  Another big step you've taken and accomplished.  
5-9 12:32
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-9 12:32
Congrats AJ.  Another big step you've taken and accomplished.

Thanks Rich. It went well mate! Much better than I anticipated.
5-9 12:36
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules