Using Phantom 3 Pro w/ GS Pro? Other flight planning options?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aaidann
lvl.1

United States

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has tried to use GS Pro to fly a mission with waypoints using a Phantom 3 Pro? I am working on a research project mapping a glacier in a wilderness area in Oregon. Last year, we had planned a mission on Drone Deploy but DD would not execute the mission and we had to fly manually. I think DD restricted our take off because wilderness areas are no-fly zones, but we had permission from the Forest Service. Drone Deploy worked fine when we did our grass test on the University's campus, but not in the field.

This fall, we're preparing for another mission and aim to avoid manual flight. I've explored GS Pro and contacted DJI, receiving conflicting information—some say GS Pro works outside no-fly zones, while others suggest sticking with DJI GO. Given our extensive photo needs (over 1500 last year, likely more this fall), DJI GO's waypoint limitations (max 99 waypoints, manual creation) make it impractical.

Though Pix4D Capture is an option, we fear encountering similar issues as with Drone Deploy. Does anyone have experience mapping large no-fly zones or wilderness areas with a Phantom 3 Pro? Which software did you use? Should we consider upgrading our drone? Any insights would be invaluable.

I have attached photos of the map from DJI's GEO Zone and the FAA if it helps. As you can see the area which the glacier is in (on Mount Hood) is not in a restricted area on either map, but drones are not allowed to fly there, which I think Drone Deploy picked up on. We are in the process of getting the permits and permission from the Forest Service again so we will not fly in this area without proper clearance.

djigeozone.PNG faalaanc.PNG

5-8 09:26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules