Nvida K1 Tablet
273874 273874 2017-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jaycanter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114403 ft
United States

I had samsung tablet and had artifacts so after going thru these threads i ordered the k1 it keeps giving me aircraft disconnected and video frezzes i did vide and switched back to samsung and no disconnects. i didn't load anything exept dji app since thats all i am using it for dji go 4 and tried different cables same thing also my pro 4 would give sd card error continuosly so return and exchanged it and still have the disconnect camera freeze you can see in the video that the sensors still read as it is spinning but the video itself does nothung i=or stuttere continuos till you turn it off and back on.

2017-2-18
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Hmmmm....maybe to start with old mate....get out of the car or move away from the car and then see what happens.
2017-2-18
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha jay,

Besides the benefit of an increase raw computing power, there are other issues you have to deal with.  Unfortunately, tablets, like computers, come with a great many - too many - apps (or programs) pre-installed.  These pre-installed programs (apps) like to run at the same time (in the background) so they are active when you want to access them (they access faster that way).  They did not get the memo that they will not be used and all you want is to use the tablet for flying.

What you need to do is uninstall all these apps that will not be used.  Some apps will tell you during the uninstall process that uninstalling them will interfere with another program.  When that happens, just disable them rather than uninstall them.  

Disabling and uninstalling apps is at least a two stage process.  You have to first "Force Stop" the app.  Then you uninstall or disable the app.  As many as half the apps will be removed in this process and the rest disabled.  (When you get these runaway apps under control, your Phantom will fly much, much better.)

This will all be done in the system settings program.  You will need to go through each entry in the settings menu and figure out what it does.  There are small books and web sites that explain what these applets and processes do.  Using the Samsung and nVidia support web sites will be helpful.  Also, Android has a web site that can explain things for you.  

One or more of the settings entries involves "Apps".  In there will be an entry that asks how many apps you want running in the background.  Say none or maybe one.  This will really help free up processor competition so the processor can work on flying the Phantom rather than Facebook or something.

While you are exploring the settings, look for references to "Nearby Devices" or similar language.  You will need to deal with this when you try "Follow Me" and one or two other operations.

Take your time doing this.  Explore your tablets and see how similar and how different they are.  They are both Android.  Try to find what version of the Android operating system they are using.  The more you learn about your tablet, the more prepared you will be to deal with new issues.  You will find it rewarding in other areas to.  Tablets will be even more common in the future so you may as well start to learn about them now.  Like I said, take your time, oh! and remember to keep charging it.  They do run out of battery!

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-18
Use props
jaycanter
lvl.2
United States

Ok so went thru and removed apps so nothing is running on the nvida. while trying it today found the problem is when the Phantom is recording made a video of it doing it. when it's not recording everything is fine as soon as i start recording it starts disconnecting and the signal strength goes away for the remote the video signal still full strength. I tried this on every resolution and downgraded the firmware and still does it.

2017-2-19
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

I'm having the same problem. http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=85735&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D386%26typeid%3D386
Odd thing is I never had this problem until I updated the Nvidia Shield K1 to Nougat 7.0 a few days ago. It seems to me that the DJI GO4 app is crashing now causing the disconnect and it's not related to distance when I get the choppy video and "Disconnected From Aircraft".
Does your K1 have the new Nougat 7.0 update?
After watching your video that is mild compared to what I'm experiencing. It's a lengthy "Disconnected From Aircraft" and then the app crashes. It doesn't do it right off the bat, it usually takes a little while to act up but oddly it always seems to do it when I'm back close to the home point.
2017-2-19
Use props
jaycanter
lvl.2
United States

yes it does have 7.0 i just got the tablet a week ago but only happens when recording as long as it's not recording it's perfect. i don't lose control of the aircraft just the tablet says disconnected. but i am also having sd card errors

i did several 10 min flights and not 1 issue when not recording but when recording it disconnects couple dozen times or causes app to crash

trying to restore tablet before 7 but haven't found easy way yet
2017-2-19
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

jaycanter Posted at 2017-2-19 19:11
yes it does have 7.0 i just got the tablet a week ago but only happens when recording as long as it's not recording it's perfect. i don't lose control of the aircraft just the tablet says disconnected. but i am also having sd card errors

i did several 10 min flights and not 1 issue when not recording but when recording it disconnects couple dozen times or causes app to crash

I was thinking of trying to revert back to Pre-Nougat 7.0 to verify. If I find the answer I'll post back and would appreciate the same if you find out how to roll back. Seems like there's always something going on with these. I usually know better than to update stuff when things are working good but I fell for this one. Lol
2017-2-19
Use props
jaycanter
lvl.2
United States

Here a video from a thread i found to put it back and some programs are updated and when i unziped the file it was wrong format maybe you"ll understnd it better

2017-2-19
Use props
ManzoPhantom
lvl.1

Italy

also i have problem with nVidia k1 Shield and Android 7 using DJI GO 4 ....
...but if i put on the Android 6 , my warranty period go away ..........
2017-2-20
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

Took me two evenings but i finally got the Shield rolled back to 1.5.0. It was a long drawn out process of finding what works and what makes sense, which the Nvidia developer instructions were a bit confusing. Between the developer instructions and some videos I managed to get it rolled back.
I can type out the full instructions on what worked for me if you like. But it's late so I would have to do it tomorrow evening.
Have you had any luck?
2017-2-20
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-2-20 20:39
Took me two evenings but i finally got the Shield rolled back to 1.5.0. It was a long drawn out process of finding what works and what makes sense, which the Nvidia developer instructions were a bit confusing. Between the developer instructions and some videos I managed to get it rolled back.
I can type out the full instructions on what worked for me if you like. But it's late so I would have to do it tomorrow evening.
Have you had any luck?

Yes. Please provide instructions. I have not been able to get anywhere with Nvidia's support pages.
2017-2-21
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

You will lose everything on your K1!!! Bootloading will void your warranty!!! Back everything up you need backed up!!! Remove any micro SD card. I assume responsibility for NOTHING! Try at your own risk. This is what worked for me, your mileage may vary.
Start by creating a folder in your C: and name it something simple like K1. C:\K1
You will need to download a few things to prepare.
Download 1. Download the Nvidia USB bootloader drivers here: https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload#?search=SHIELD%20Family%20Windows%20USB
Download 2. Download the adb and fastboot loader here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120698566D and extract all these files into the C:\K1 folder you created.
Download 3. Download the Android SDK tools here: https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html#downloads scroll all the way down there and download tools_r25.2.3-windows.zip. Extract all of those files in the zip again to C:\K1 folder you created.
Download 4. Download the version of the tablet OS you want. I downloaded 1.5.0 here: https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload#?search=SHIELD%20Tablet%20K1&tx=$additional,shield Once you download the version you want extract all of those files again into C:\K1.

Now to get started.
1. The bootloader drivers are only if your K1 isn't showing up as a bootloader interface in the windows device manager. To find this out put your tablet in developer mode and enable USB debugging. Here's how to enable developer mode: http://wccftech.com/enable-developer-options-android-nougat/
Then in your tablet settings enable USB debugging. Once enabled, power off the tablet. After it is powered off then plug into a USB 2.0 port on the back of your PC. On the tablet hold the volume down button and then hold down the power button until the tablet boots up into bootloader mode. You will see the bootloader mode on the tablet screen with some options. Don't worry about this yet. On your PC go to the device manager :Right click on computer/properties/Device Manager. In the device manager screen at the top look at Android Device>Android Bootloader Interface. If you have exclamation marks there then you need to install the USB drivers you downloaded. It should look like this with no exclamation marks when the proper drivers are installed. If you have exclamation marks then right click on it and choose to install drivers, then navigate to where you extracted the drivers and install. Once you achieve this move to step 2.

2. Now to actually bootload your tablet. On the tablet bootloader screen look to see if your bootloader is locked. It should say it is locked towards the top if it is. If it's not locked then use the volume button to navigate to "Fastboot Protocol" and press the power button to select. If it is locked you will need to do the following to unlock it. Navigate into the K1 folder you created, hold the shift key and right click out inside the folder so you get the option to "Open Command Window Here" like this:

Click "Open Command Window Here" and then do the following to unlock your bootloader (leave the command prompt open after this step); Type: [fastboot oem unlock] -without brackets- and hit enter. This should allow you to unlock the oem bootloader lock. On your tablet the bootloader screen should still be on, use the volume button to select "Unlock Bootloader" and press the power button to unlock it. You may get some warnings that it will void your warranty, sorry no way around this if you want to roll back. Once the bootloader is unlocked it will say it is unlocked on the tablet bootloader screen. Keep the tablet plugged in and move on to the next steps.

Go back to the command window you opened earlier. Below is a list of what you need to run in the command line. Type each one of these in the command window including the spaces [without the brackets] in the order listed and wait for each one to finish running before typing the next.

1. [ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img ]
2. [ fastboot flash boot boot.img ]
3. [ fastboot flash system system.img ]
4. [ fastboot flash staging blob ]

After these are all ran type [ exit ] and hit enter.
Now unplug your tablet and on the fastboot screen; highlight "continue" and press the power button once. Your tablet will now reboot with 1.5 installed to factory settings. You will need to go through all the setup steps again.
Hope this helps

2017-2-21
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

I almost forgot to mention, I haven't had time to fly yet to see if this fixed the aircraft disconnect issues. I will report back on that.
2017-2-21
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-2-21 09:14
I almost forgot to mention, I haven't had time to fly yet to see if this fixed the aircraft disconnect issues. I will report back on that.

Thank you very much!

I happened to figure it out just now, then I came back here to type out the instructions. I didn't see that you had replied here yet. I hate that this forum doesn't allow for a real thread subscription.

Anyway, I downgraded my K1's rom and Android today. All tests with DJI Go 4 so far have been good. Not one app crash/disconnect. I am getting slightly worse video feeds though but I can deal with an occassional artifact.
2017-2-21
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

Confirmed!! I just flew 2 fully charged batteries up to a mile away and didn't have a single issue. It's got to be something going on with Nougat 7.0 but I'm not counting on DJI to figure it out anytime soon.
2017-2-21
Use props
Rapfife
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160102 ft
United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-2-19 19:04
I'm having the same problem. http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=85735&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D386%26typeid%3D386
Odd thing is I never had this problem until I updated the Nvidia Shield K1 to Nougat 7.0 a few days ago. It seems to me that the DJI GO4 app is crashing now causing the disconnect and it's not related to distance when I get the choppy video and "Disconnected From Aircraft".

Me Too. Started when it upgraded to 7.0 Nougat.
Anyone know of a fix?
2017-2-21
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

Rapfife Posted at 2017-2-21 16:42
Me Too. Started when it upgraded to 7.0 Nougat.
Anyone know of a fix?

The fix is 4 posts above yours.
2017-2-21
Use props
Rapfife
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160102 ft
United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-2-21 09:07
You will lose everything on your K1!!! Bootloading will void your warranty!!! Back everything up you need backed up!!! Remove any micro SD card. I assume responsibility for NOTHING! Try at your own risk. This is what worked for me, your mileage may vary.
Start by creating a folder in your C: and name it something simple like K1. C:\K1
You will need to download a few things to prepare.

So i downloaded the Tools_R25.2.3-windows file and there is no 'fastboot' command. any ideas?
2017-2-21
Use props
jaycanter
lvl.2
United States

Thanks got my tablet rolled back just waiting on new phantom
2017-2-21
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-2-19 19:04

Aloha E.T.,

Your suggestion about Nougat 7.0 update caused a bit of concern on my part since I had just up updated my nVidia Shield K1 and my friend's nVidia Shield K1.  My friend does not handle tech problems well so the non-reversibility was cause for concern to.

Anyway, I took my P4 Pro out in gusty winds because I had to test it.  Everything went very well.  I did have one disconnect in over 20 minutes of flight.  That disconnect was an interference issue due to my standing 20-25 feet from power lines with my P4 Pro 300-350 feet beyond.  The app vacated and the nVidia went back to the desktop.  Restart the app and the very fast reload got everything working very nicely again.  What a relief.

Mahalo for your postings on this issue.  I was able to prepare for the disconnect and manage it well.  Do consider this issue as part of the larger interference issues we face regularly.  I will continue to test this issue.  Mahalo again.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jaycanter Posted at 2017-2-21 17:45
Thanks got my tablet rolled back just waiting on new phantom

Aloha Jay,

Your thread raised the suggestion about Nougat 7.0 and caused a bit of concern on my part since I had just up updated my nVidia Shield K1.  (see my post to E.T. above)  Anyway, I took my P4 Pro out in gusty winds because I had to test it.  

Mahalo for your postings on this issue.  I was able to prepare for the disconnect and manage it well.  Do consider this issue as part of the larger interference issues we face regularly.  I will continue to test this issue.  Mahalo again.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-23 02:03
Aloha E.T.,

Your suggestion about Nougat 7.0 update caused a bit of concern on my part since I had just up updated my nVidia Shield K1 and my friend's nVidia Shield K1.  My friend does not handle tech problems well so the non-reversibility was cause for concern to.

If the app closed like that, I doubt your position in relation to power lines and the quad had anything to do with it. That's the same thing that has been happening to all of us in ANY flying situation when we fly with Nougat. I would agree with the cause of your issue if your issue was just that the software disconnected from the quad, but a spontaneously closing app should have a different cause.
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-2-21 16:38
Confirmed!! I just flew 2 fully charged batteries up to a mile away and didn't have a single issue. It's got to be something going on with Nougat 7.0 but I'm not counting on DJI to figure it out anytime soon.

Yup. That's been my experience too. After reverting back to 1.5 tablet firmware and Android 6, DJI Go 4 is solid again.
2017-2-23
Use props
Pauxier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-23 04:44
If the app closed like that, I doubt your position in relation to power lines and the quad had anything to do with it. That's the same thing that has been happening to all of us in ANY flying situation when we fly with Nougat. I would agree with the cause of your issue if your issue was just that the software disconnected from the quad, but a spontaneously closing app should have a different cause.

I have the same thing, it just disappears completely. If it's leaning towards a Nougat problem I wonder if other devices on Nougat are having this
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pauxier Posted at 2017-2-23 06:23
I have the same thing, it just disappears completely. If it's leaning towards a Nougat problem I wonder if other devices on Nougat are having this

Good question. I do seem to recall one other person mentioning a Sumsung device that ran DJ Go 4 well until he updated to Nougat. That could be a fluke and unique to him though.
2017-2-23
Use props
Pauxier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally I'm very hesitant to go backwards on my tablet. I think I might hang out and wait for a fix that does not involve all these steps. I'm going to try some normal small flights using Litchi to see if I can reproduce anything
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pauxier Posted at 2017-2-23 08:37
Personally I'm very hesitant to go backwards on my tablet. I think I might hang out and wait for a fix that does not involve all these steps. I'm going to try some normal small flights using Litchi to see if I can reproduce anything

Completely understandable. I use/purchased my K1 almost exclusively for my Phantom, so reverting to older software is not an issue. All the drone-related software so far (mainly) works well (clearly sometimes better) even in older versions of Android.
2017-2-23
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-23 02:03
Aloha E.T.,

I agree with GrindLab, I too doubt an app closing/crashing is related to power lines. I could imagine it "may" cause choppy video feed in some instances but not an app crash.
So far the roll back has fixed the issue with the app crashing and choppy video feed just before the crash.
It still makes me wonder why every time the app would crash was when I was back close to the home point after flying out 3,000-4,000 feet. Maybe a crazy coincidence but definitely noticeable.
Oh well it's stable now and I'm not a nervous wreck flying it anymore. Too bad because what little I got to use Nougat I was liking the speed of it.
2017-2-23
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

Pauxier Posted at 2017-2-23 08:37

I can't blame you there. I just recently bought the K1 for flying and hate the idea I had to void the warranty just to fly without all the stress. Figured it was more cost effective to blow the warranty on a $200 tablet than losing a $1500 bird. Lol
So you play music Pauxier? Me too !

2017-2-23
Use props
jaycanter
lvl.2
United States

I have A pixel xl that's Nougut and crashes the same got my new phantom and still with tablet rolled back to 6.0 still disconnected so i'm exchanging it connected to my note 4 and was flawless even tried different cables
2017-2-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-23 04:44

Aloha Grind,

You appear to have missed the point of my post.  My suggestion was to look for signs of interference when a disconnect occurs.  I tend to look for variables when divergent events happen such as what is occurring with our nVidia Shields now.

My flight (the only one) was rock solid until the power lines got in the way.  Power lines are obvious interference.  Once I left the power lines my system was rock solid again.  I am not saying that Nougat does not have a problem or that DJI GO 4 does not have a problem.  I am trying to figure out what the problem is and an obvious interference event and a shut down are hard to ignore.

So far you guys have gotten your systems operational by identifying Nougat as a critical component of the problem, and I thank you for that, but you have not solved the problem.  My concern is that Nougat and DJI GO 4 have a weak link that is broken real easy by interference.  Since interference is the definition of breaking links, again, it is hard to ignore.  nVidia and DJI will have to address this weak link issue at some point.

Somehow my Nougat and DJI GO 4 system is working very well until I push the "interference button".  I just thought that if you are interested in solving the problem, you might be interested.  It is just one variable but a major one for me.  BTW, I am also getting more consistent "interference warnings" from DJI GO 4 during precheck.  Maybe I cannot ignore them as much as I used to.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-2-23 14:27
I agree with GrindLab, I too doubt an app closing/crashing is related to power lines. I could imagine it "may" cause choppy video feed in some instances but not an app crash.
So far the roll back has fixed the issue with the app crashing and choppy video feed just before the crash.
It still makes me wonder why every time the app would crash was when I was back close to the home point after flying out 3,000-4,000 feet. Maybe a crazy coincidence but definitely noticeable.

Aloha E.T.,

Mahalo again for identifying Nougat as part of the problem.  Rather than be redundant, I responded to Grind in a post or two above.

There have been shut downs due to interference previously on this Forum, so I would not eliminate it as a variable.  Just keep interference in the back of your mind while you ride through this adventure.  In my case, I had traveled over a 1000 feet away with no problems until I got ~300 feet away, (I being my Phantom).  Proximity appears to be part of the problem.  Jay had serious issues 10-30 feet away.  A density based interference event is stronger the closer the distance between RC and aircraft.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-23 15:26
Aloha Grind,

You appear to have missed the point of my post.  My suggestion was to look for signs of interference when a disconnect occurs.  I tend to look for variables when divergent events happen such as what is occurring with our nVidia Shields now.

Understood. Perhaps neither of us got the other's point.
2017-2-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-23 15:55
Understood. Perhaps neither of us got the other's point.

Aloha Grind,

Your point is very easy to understand.  I never had a problem with that.  We all have to go there on occasion.  But, having been there many times and learned a thing or two, I just thought I should share some information.  I just hope you folks will share what you learn with those who follow you.

And BTW, I am not saying someone is wrong or even that I am right.  I am just saying keep it in the back of your mind as you experience the journey through the air like never before!  It is a great learning experience.  Fun of a very fulfilling nature.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-23
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

My K1 came with Android V5. I think I will just leave it there....
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-23 16:10
Aloha Grind,

Your point is very easy to understand.  I never had a problem with that.  We all have to go there on occasion.  But, having been there many times and learned a thing or two, I just thought I should share some information.  I just hope you folks will share what you learn with those who follow you.

Understood (again). Your words are appreciated.
2017-2-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-23 16:58
Understood (again). Your words are appreciated.

Aloha Grind,

A new guy just posted a thread on the problem and thought it might be Nougat but was not strong in the feeling.  I posted to look for you guys since you are working on the issue.  

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-23
Use props
jaycanter
lvl.2
United States

To clarify i have never lost signal between transmitter and aircraft i have full control. The disconnects are the tablet disconnecting from transmitter thru the program or usb problems. Since it did it with tablet rolled back to 6.0 i have another tablet coming so will try again. My pixel on 7.0 does same thing but my note 4 on 6.0 not 1 disconnect only a few of the video artifacts that Samsung is known for.
2017-2-24
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-23 23:32
Aloha Grind,

A new guy just posted a thread on the problem and thought it might be Nougat but was not strong in the feeling.  I posted to look for you guys since you are working on the issue.  

Awesome! I'm always glad to help if I can. Thank you.
2017-2-24
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jaycanter Posted at 2017-2-24 05:35
To clarify i have never lost signal between transmitter and aircraft i have full control. The disconnects are the tablet disconnecting from transmitter thru the program or usb problems. Since it did it with tablet rolled back to 6.0 i have another tablet coming so will try again. My pixel on 7.0 does same thing but my note 4 on 6.0 not 1 disconnect only a few of the video artifacts that Samsung is known for.

Ah. Also did it on 6.0. Yikes. Please keep us posted.
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules