Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

Haz albuquerque NM Posted at 9-3 16:54
I just tested my dji fpv drone with the integra goggles I did not get a rid error I did not need a phone . The goggles say remote id is broadcasting. Iam on the latest firmware and my fpv drone is registered on the faa site with my mini pro and avata and skydio 2. All 4 drones are registered to me on the far site with their s/n . I did notice when I do a search with the sn on my 3 dji drones the faa site does say my serial numbers are Invalid. I do know that the mini 3 pro and avata have been approved by the faa. So there site is probably not updated for sn of registered drones. I did not lookup my skydio s/n to see if it would show a valid s/n.

To be more specific, mine doesn't say "broadcasting" but it only says "normal" so if you see "broadcasting" somewhere please let me know so I can go find it.

And just to be clear about the FAA, none of my serial numbers (dji, autel, skydio) on any of my drones are showing up which leads me to believe the database is broken.  To be more specific, my serial number (using the lookup tab) says "not in the database."  That's different than saying your s/n is valid or invalid.

Sorry, details matter so I want to make sure I'm giving an accurate account.
2023-9-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

In the Avata about screen, it does not show Remote ID but instead shows what might be a similar number but has a different label on it, I forget what exactly.
2023-9-3
Use props
Haz albuquerque NM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 497441 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4 Posted at 9-3 17:12
The FPV drone in this thread is the original DJI FPV racing drone, not the smaller sibling which was released after the mandated time.  Integra was not out when this drone was released and the first to have a GPS built into the goggles.. I'm glad you are not having any issues with your Avata, it is not the same drone.
I have the original dji fpv drone. My s/n also says not in database.
2023-9-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

KC-FPV Posted at 9-1 03:22
Thanks for the reply.  I did not get any update in the last day.  So far I don't see any Remote ID settings in the goggles v2 or anywhere else to be able to register it on the FAA Drone Zone site.  Also, on the FAA Declaration of Compliance web site, the DJI FPV is not listed at all.  When will this actually be updated to be compliant?  I did also try the serial number lookup on the FAA Declaration of Compliance web site, but as you can see by the below screenshot, nothing is found.  Thanks

Sorry for the late response. DJI FPV now supports the Remote ID function in the US. For DJI FPV, before flying in the current area, you are advised to connect your mobile phone to the goggles, please make sure the firmware version and app version has been updated to the latest. For mobile devices, it should allow the DJI Fly to obtain the location information and also needs to ensure that the DJI Fly app runs in the foreground. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off (DJI Goggles Integra does not need to connect to a mobile device as it is with an internal GPS module). Please connect it before using the aircraft. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-9-3
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12051 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-3 18:46
Sorry for the late response. DJI FPV now supports the Remote ID function in the US. For DJI FPV, before flying in the current area, you are advised to connect your mobile phone to the goggles, please make sure the firmware version and app version has been updated to the latest. For mobile devices, it should allow the DJI Fly to obtain the location information and also needs to ensure that the DJI Fly app runs in the foreground. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off (DJI Goggles Integra does not need to connect to a mobile device as it is with an internal GPS module). Please connect it before using the aircraft. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, the point was missed that the drone is showing in the Goggles that the Remote ID is working after connecting my phone and allows me to fly the drone.  It is NOT transmitting the Remote ID information at all..
Again, I repeat.. THE DRONE IS NOT BROADCASTING REMOTE ID.
2023-9-3
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-3 18:05
In the Avata about screen, it does not show Remote ID but instead shows what might be a similar number but has a different label on it, I forget what exactly.

In the Avata, your remote ID is your Aircraft ID / Flight controller ID, it start with 15. You should not see a separate Remote ID listed on the new drones that were released with Remote ID, only the drones that are updated with Firmware will have this.
2023-9-3
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-3 17:53
Agreed and to be more specific, it says RemoteID is functioning normal or similar.

Maybe someone can read more into what normal means but under normal conditions you would expect it to be transmitting and if you suspect the software is broken, then you still might get the same message even though there is no transmitting; which is what I believe is happening here.

If it states Remote ID is operating normally, it means it is also transmitting or should be because, as you know, Part 89 prohibits the starting of the motors if Remote ID isn't being transmitted.  Once the air craft is updated to Remote ID, All rules apply and if any of the pre-flight checks do not pass, you do not fly.  That is my point, It is indicating a fully functional and compliant Remote ID system yet it isn't transmitting anything what so ever.  It is not only not compliant, it is deceiving the pilot into believing it is broadcasting because, once upgraded to Remote ID, it is not permitted to fly unless it is transmitting. BTW, the drone can listen to it's own beacon and confirm it is transmitting, I saw this in my tests on the Raspberry Pi test harness using the same code used by the Arduino Remote ID addon units and it does a self check and on this particular old, Raspbery Pi, it would sometimes fail. Am I making any sense?  The system knows if it is transmitting by another thread listening to itself.  I've seen it happen and this doesn't have that check.
2023-9-3
Use props
KC-FPV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 169997 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-3 18:46

Thanks for the response.  So, that’s good it’s apparently transmitting Remote ID if a phone is attached.  That’s fine.  Just wondering about a few details, first is probably most important, the FAA certification of compliance site, the FPV Drone is not listed, when may that happen?  (I realize you may not have exact dates, but a ballpark figure? A week, a month, a year?).  
Second would be the Remote ID number is needed to register the drone in the FAA’s Drone Zone website, but currently in the goggle menus there is NO Remote ID number listed; when may we see this?  (Again, a ballpark figure is fine)

And lastly, to work it sounds like it requires the cell phone to be present in the goggles v2 or with the intrgra or newer goggles the transmission part is all integrated; is it just using the cell phone for GPS?  Or does the cell phone transmit the remote ID signal as well?  Or do the goggles or remote transmit the Remote ID signal?  It doesn't show up on Drone Scanner as of now; so how can I confirm this is working?  

Thanks for the clarification
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

KC-FPV Posted at 9-4 02:52
Thanks for the response.  So, that’s good it’s apparently transmitting Remote ID if a phone is attached.  That’s fine.  Just wondering about a few details, first is probably most important, the FAA certification of compliance site, the FPV Drone is not listed, when may that happen?  (I realize you may not have exact dates, but a ballpark figure? A week, a month, a year?).  
Second would be the Remote ID number is needed to register the drone in the FAA’s Drone Zone website, but currently in the goggle menus there is NO Remote ID number listed; when may we see this?  (Again, a ballpark figure is fine)

While network Remote ID is being discussed, there is no requirement for a cell connection which is why the Integra Goggles satisfy the Remote ID requirements of constant update of the pilots position via GPS.  While the drone itself will not fall to the ground, the pilot is required to land ASAP should they receive a notification of the Remote ID requirements not being met during flight. (I.E. loss of GPS for the pilot location).  

I have confirmed using multiple devices that even with a phone and the DJI Fly app connected, the DJI racing FPV drone, same one as your profile picture, does not broadcast Radio ID in the US even when the Radio ID preflight requirements are met, Goggles indicate it is operational and allows you to start the motors and fly the drone.  
The actual Radio ID broadcast has to come from the drone, not the control station.  The control station has to update the pilot position to the drone as well but all transmissions originate from the drone.  The only part the Integra Goggles play in this is providing the GPS location of the pilot without having to connect any additinal hardware.  If UPP (Network required Radio ID) is finalized, you will be required to connect your phone again or DJI will have to relase an LTE / Cell networked version to fully comply.
2023-9-4
Use props
Haz albuquerque NM
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

KC-FPV Posted at 9-4 02:52

What drone Drone Scanner app are you using ? My mini 3 pro does not show up on the scanner app iam using.
2023-9-4
Use props
KC-FPV
lvl.2
United States

Haz albuquerque NM Posted at 9-4 08:20
What drone Drone Scanner app are you using ? My mini 3 pro does not show up on the scanner app iam using.

Just Drone Scanner from DroneTag; I'm going to go test it again actually with both the iOS and Android Apps.  If there are any other Remote ID scanner apps, I'd take a recommendation, but this is the only one I've found so far.  
2023-9-4
Use props
KC-FPV
lvl.2
United States

KC-FPV Posted at 9-4 08:26
Just Drone Scanner from DroneTag; I'm going to go test it again actually with both the iOS and Android Apps.  If there are any other Remote ID scanner apps, I'd take a recommendation, but this is the only one I've found so far.

Yea, tested both Drone Scanner apps from DroneTag and NEITHER picked up the flying FPV drone with Remote ID saying it was active.  
2023-9-4
Use props
Haz albuquerque NM
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

KC-FPV Posted at 9-4 08:52
Yea, tested both Drone Scanner apps from DroneTag and NEITHER picked up the flying FPV drone with Remote ID saying it was active.

Did you check any other drones  ?
2023-9-4
Use props
KC-FPV
lvl.2
United States

Haz albuquerque NM Posted at 9-4 09:12
Did you check any other drones  ?

Ha, the only others I have are very old, discontinued DJI drones or a DJI mini SE, which doesn't need Remote ID.  

The DJI FPV is the only one I have that will require Remote ID and I want to keep flying it as it's really fun.  But from what i've seen, I see the little pop up on the Goggle screen saying Remote ID is active, but it doesn't look like it's transmitting anything and the FAA web site doesn't have it listed as compliant, so i'm a bit confused.   
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

KC-FPV Posted at 9-4 09:33
Ha, the only others I have are very old, discontinued DJI drones or a DJI mini SE, which doesn't need Remote ID.  

The DJI FPV is the only one I have that will require Remote ID and I want to keep flying it as it's really fun.  But from what i've seen, I see the little pop up on the Goggle screen saying Remote ID is active, but it doesn't look like it's transmitting anything and the FAA web site doesn't have it listed as compliant, so i'm a bit confused.

I bought the Integra Goggles for a couple reasons, the final was the disclosure of the Radio ID.  Here is the secret to registering your drone on the FAA website.  I pulled this info from the About screen in the Integra Goggles so it is not like I'm disclosing any information someone shouldn't have.  You won't get this information from the DJI FPV V2 Goggles with the latest update.

1581F<YourSerial#>0  I am going to test this again for transmitting using the Integra Goggles now that it is registered. Just to be safe, I'm connecting my phone event though I shouldn't have to.  I will let you know the results.
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4 Posted at 9-4 11:44
I bought the Integra Goggles for a couple reasons, the final was the disclosure of the Radio ID.  Here is the secret to registering your drone on the FAA website.  I pulled this info from the About screen in the Integra Goggles so it is not like I'm disclosing any information someone shouldn't have.  You won't get this information from the DJI FPV V2 Goggles with the latest update.

1581F0  I am going to test this again for transmitting using the Integra Goggles now that it is registered. Just to be safe, I'm connecting my phone event though I shouldn't have to.  I will let you know the results.

I already mentioned this in post #40.

I can see the RID number for any drone (FPV or Avata) while using the Integra or Goggles 2 but not with V2.  So I already have that RID number for the DJI FPV.

But here's my question for you which I'm confused about:  What do you believe using that number on the faa website, adding that number to the faa database, register your RID# at dronezone....what do you think that has anything to do with the problems we are having with RID in the FPV....or anything else?

I didn't think this is an exercise in getting your FPV register, what good will that do?  Do you think it will cause your FPV to transmit?  The deadline has not arrived so it doesn't have to be done, there is no FPV DoC so the FPV will not be recognized by the database as standard RID, and if the deadline is postponed, you might be stuck with your RID in that database when you don't need it there.  Which is why I haven't added mine yet.  Has this thread evolved into how to use the Integra goggles to snag your DJI FPV RID so you can add it to the faa database?

I think some people believe that by adding details to the FAA database, something gets triggered.  Personally I don't think so.  I think it's just a stupid list and it does nothing but save your details so that someone else can later can read it back.  It is in no way interactive or integral to the process but that's my opinion.  It's just another piece of RID that is sloppy and not ready and yet another reason why RID should be delayed because nobody knows how to properly use it.
The FPV is not the only one that is jacked up and if you ask DJI, they tell you how to get it done for any of their drones like the Air2S.  Just not sure why anyone feels the need to get it done now.  Even without a delay, after the deadline I have no plans to go back into the database.  I'll fly with the right equipment but I'm not filling out a database until the FAA fixes it and notify flyers how to properly use it.  I don't support half-baked solutions like this.
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

KC-FPV Posted at 9-4 09:33
Ha, the only others I have are very old, discontinued DJI drones or a DJI mini SE, which doesn't need Remote ID.  

The DJI FPV is the only one I have that will require Remote ID and I want to keep flying it as it's really fun.  But from what i've seen, I see the little pop up on the Goggle screen saying Remote ID is active, but it doesn't look like it's transmitting anything and the FAA web site doesn't have it listed as compliant, so i'm a bit confused.

After binding the DJI FPV 'Potato' with the "DJI Remote Controller 2", not the motion controller to the Integra Goggles, the drone now broadcasting the RID-XXXXXXX WiFi beacon.  I'm thinking this is a bug in the DJI FPV Goggles V2 that came with this drone because even with using the latest DJI FLY app, freshly installed, it would not send a beacon when I was running the original goggles even though the goggles reported Radio ID was operational.   Another odd thing is since I didn't take the goggles outside, it was showing I was controlling the drone 100's of miles away which I believe is another bug but as long as I'm outside, the goggles should be able to easily get a GPS fix.  

Anyway, If you have the means of buying the Integra goggles, they are a very nice addition to this drone and Remote ID works today with additional features like it comes with corrective lenses, built in battery and it is a smaller and lighter goggle.  It doesn't fit as comfortable but at least it is working.  Maybe this is why so many believe the Radio ID is coming from the goggles? Now that I am registered with the FAA website, even thought this is supposed to be a off-network arrangement, I should try to use the old goggles and see if it works now.  Maybe the answer is to borrow a pair of Integra's and get it working that way.  There are definitely bugs with starting with the original FPV Goggles V2, not to be confused with the FPV Goggle 2 or Integra which look very much alike.  They really need to reconsider their model numbers, very confusing.
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-4 12:16
I already mentioned this in post #40.

I can see the RID number for any drone (FPV or Avata) while using the Integra or Goggles 2 but not with V2.  So I already have that RID number for the DJI FPV.

Short Answer is YES, It worked. You didn't tell us what your ID prefix or ending was or if you were able to register it.  I was able to register my drone using the Integra RadioID which was as I posted and my drone is now transmitting the Radio ID.. Confirmed through Done Scanner.. Came up immediately after I started my motors.
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4 Posted at 9-4 12:21
Short Answer is YES, It worked. You didn't tell us what your ID prefix or ending was or if you were able to register it.  I was able to register my drone using the Integra RadioID which was as I posted and my drone is now transmitting the Radio ID.. Confirmed through Done Scanner.. Came up immediately after I started my motors.

I didnt think this is an exercise in registering.  DJI has already mentioned elsewhere how to use the faa funky database.  I'm not going to register my FPV if it doesn't transmit with v2, why?
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4 Posted at 9-4 12:17
After binding the DJI FPV 'Potato' with the "DJI Remote Controller 2", not the motion controller to the Integra Goggles, the drone now broadcasting the RID-XXXXXXX WiFi beacon.  I'm thinking this is a bug in the DJI FPV Goggles V2 that came with this drone because even with using the latest DJI FLY app, freshly installed, it would not send a beacon when I was running the original goggles even though the goggles reported Radio ID was operational.   Another odd thing is since I didn't take the goggles outside, it was showing I was controlling the drone 100's of miles away which I believe is another bug but as long as I'm outside, the goggles should be able to easily get a GPS fix.  

Anyway, If you have the means of buying the Integra goggles, they are a very nice addition to this drone and Remote ID works today with additional features like it comes with corrective lenses, built in battery and it is a smaller and lighter goggle.  It doesn't fit as comfortable but at least it is working.  Maybe this is why so many believe the Radio ID is coming from the goggles? Now that I am registered with the FAA website, even thought this is supposed to be a off-network arrangement, I should try to use the old goggles and see if it works now.  Maybe the answer is to borrow a pair of Integra's and get it working that way.  There are definitely bugs with starting with the original FPV Goggles V2, not to be confused with the FPV Goggle 2 or Integra which look very much alike.  They really need to reconsider their model numbers, very confusing.

in a different thread, we've already discussed why it's a bad idea to use integra with dji fpv.  get yours and find out for yourself.
2023-9-4
Use props
KC-FPV
lvl.2
United States

I bought the Integra Goggles for a couple reasons, the final was the disclosure of the Radio ID.  Here is the secret to registering your drone on the FAA website.  I pulled this info from the About screen in the Integra Goggles so it is not like I'm disclosing any information someone shouldn't have.  You won't get this information from the DJI FPV V2 Goggles with the latest update.

1581F0  I am going to test this again for transmitting using the Integra Goggles now that it is registered. Just to be safe, I'm connecting my phone event though I shouldn't have to.  I will let you know the results.

Awesome!  Thank you!  That at least allowed me to put the FPV drone in as an Remote ID compliant drone on the Drone Zone web site.

But still have some outstanding questions/issues, like it being listed on the FAA web site as compliant and the fact that in testing, it doesn't seem to be transmitting Remote ID or at least the drone scanner apps don't see the drone when flying.
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-4 12:25
in a different thread, we've already discussed why it's a bad idea to use integra with dji fpv.  get yours and find out for yourself.

Would you happen to have the link to the thread? I get over 6000 results when I search.
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

KC-FPV Posted at 9-4 12:27
Awesome!  Thank you!  That at least allowed me to put the FPV drone in as an Remote ID compliant drone on the Drone Zone web site.

But still have some outstanding questions/issues, like it being listed on the FAA web site as compliant and the fact that in testing, it doesn't seem to be transmitting Remote ID or at least the drone scanner apps don't see the drone when flying.

I do not know why it is not listed but the serial number ranges are very strict.  If it was not within the range of approved models, it would not accept the 1581F37QBH__________0 serial number.  37QBH is distinct to the DJI FPV drone, no other models have this sequence.  
When it comes to the V2 goggles, I'm going to try then now that I've confirmed it is transmitting and see what happens.. As a software engineer, I know that with every bug, there is a work around.
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4 Posted at 9-4 12:32
Would you happen to have the link to the thread? I get over 6000 results when I search.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=295294
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4 Posted at 9-4 12:36
I do not know why it is not listed but the serial number ranges are very strict.  If it was not within the range of approved models, it would not accept the 1581F37QBH__________0 serial number.  37QBH is distinct to the DJI FPV drone, no other models have this sequence.  
When it comes to the V2 goggles, I'm going to try then now that I've confirmed it is transmitting and see what happens.. As a software engineer, I know that with every bug, there is a work around.

Could it be that they are not listed because there isn't an FAA-approved range for the DJI FPV?
2023-9-4
Use props
Haz albuquerque NM
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So I guess the key for it to be seen on the drone scanner app is to start the motors ?
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I bought the Integra Goggles for a couple reasons, the final was the disclosure of the Radio ID.  Here is the secret to registering your drone on the FAA website.  I pulled this info from the About screen in the Integra Goggles so it is not like I'm disclosing any information someone shouldn't have.  You won't get this information from the DJI FPV V2 Goggles with the latest update.

Here's an example of the troubles our Air 2s flyers are dealing with.  Everyone has similar issues when it comes to adding RID thru a sw update.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=288421
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Haz albuquerque NM Posted at 9-4 13:04
So I guess the key for it to be seen on the drone scanner app is to start the motors ?

Correct. Unless the propellers are spinning, not likely a standard RID drone will be transmitting.
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-4 12:59
Could it be that they are not listed because there isn't an FAA-approved range for the DJI FPV?

If I add a serial number that isn't within the registered serial number range, it will be rejected.
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

I was able to see the Radio ID on my phone but not on my tablet while using the FPV Googles V2 but only momentarily.  It was transmitting until the DJI Fly app was sent to the background and once that happened, it would not start sending again.  Resetting everything didn't recover the transmission of the Radio ID.  There seems to me to be a problem (bug) in the phone link on the FPV Goggles V2.  As for the range down to 400 meters, I don't know of a single spot where I can fly LOS beyond 1200 feet, I'll check it out and see if I have the same issues.. Anywhere near where I live, > 1200 feet is illegal.
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4 Posted at 9-4 13:55
I was able to see the Radio ID on my phone but not on my tablet while using the FPV Googles V2 but only momentarily.  It was transmitting until the DJI Fly app was sent to the background and once that happened, it would not start sending again.  Resetting everything didn't recover the transmission of the Radio ID.  There seems to me to be a problem (bug) in the phone link on the FPV Goggles V2.  As for the range down to 400 meters, I don't know of a single spot where I can fly LOS beyond 1200 feet, I'll check it out and see if I have the same issues.. Anywhere near where I live, > 1200 feet is illegal.

"As for the range down to 400 meters, I don't know of a single spot where I can fly LOS beyond 1200 feet, I'll check it out and see if I have the same issues.. Anywhere near where I live, > 1200 feet is illegal."

i don't know what you are talking about here, please explain.
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4 Posted at 9-4 13:50
If I add a serial number that isn't within the registered serial number range, it will be rejected.

i'll ask again, what is the faa-approved serial number range for RID with the DJI FPV?

For the Avata, it is Serial #: 1581F4QW000000000000 - 1581F4QWFFFFFFFFFFFF

How do I know this?  Because it says so on the FAA DoC for the Avata.

So instead of backing into the idea that the entire serial number range for the DJI PFV is accepted on the registration input must mean it is RID-compliant, why not wait until the process is official before we make assumptions.  Could it very well end up this way?  Perhaps.  But why did we get here?  Maybe because you seem to continue to think that proper registration in the database has something to do with the functionality of your equipment in the field.  I haven't heard you deny it?
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-4 15:02
i'll ask again, what is the faa-approved serial number range for RID with the DJI FPV?

The registration of the drone on the FAA website being a requirement for the drone to transmit was an assumption, not one that I made. I stated it shouldn't be related since FAA has not finalized UPP which is a network synced remote ID system.  

There is NO correlation with my ability to register the drone on the FAA website and the ability of the Remote ID module (software) to transmit on the drone. I also proved that with my raspberry pi tests.   Now, with that said, I'm not going to assume DJI Fly isn't doing a check in the background to see if the drone is registered (public info) before allowing the drone to transmit.  It is a possibility so I wasn't going to rule it out and why I tested again with the FPV DJI V2 googles.  Other than what I mentioned before, the transmission was momentary at best and wasn't consistent with the DJI FPV goggles V2. There is a bug.

Without the source code, there is no way for me to know either way even though it isn't physically dependent on it.
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-4 14:54
"As for the range down to 400 meters, I don't know of a single spot where I can fly LOS beyond 1200 feet, I'll check it out and see if I have the same issues.. Anywhere near where I live, > 1200 feet is illegal."

i don't know what you are talking about here, please explain.

I read the forum you linked.  The complain was "I want to fly 1km and now I can only fly about 400m before signal degradation".  400m is > 1200 feet which even if true with the googles I received directly from DJI (US Version), I am not concerned with flying any drone beyond 1200 feet from me.  

Did I read the thread wrong?
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4 Posted at 9-4 19:01
I read the forum you linked.  The complain was "I want to fly 1km and now I can only fly about 400m before signal degradation".  400m is > 1200 feet which even if true with the googles I received directly from DJI (US Version), I am not concerned with flying any drone beyond 1200 feet from me.  

Did I read the thread wrong?

Someone may have commented with specific distances.  My personal experience is I am flying my drone with Goggles v2 all over the area and come home and land.  Then when I switch to Integra and fly in those same places, I get choppy video, I get blocky video, I get poor transmission when trying to repeat.  It doesn't matter the range, as you know when you fly FPV, you are in and under things, you are thru and around things, you are far and near.  The Integra, at least for me, is under performing.  Therefore I won't use them because the range I am flying is normal (for me) and as you know, you cannot afford for the signal to cut out and freeze while you are performing.  Try it yourself and see for yourself and see if you are happy; maybe you're fine.  However, I cannot recommend even if it gives GPS benefits, a more clear picture, and better focus.

The FOV is another reason, it's not suitable for the speed and type of flying I experience with the FPV while it's ok with Avata.  If you're in the wide open and you're just going out and back 400m at 50m high which is plenty then you'll be ok.  That's not how I fly.  I'm not the only one complaining.  I suspect DJI went ahead and released this with substandard performance because the remote and motion controllers should keep you alive but if I head up to the football stadium up on the hill and I dip down onto the field and the signal is gone....what good is that?  Same issue with Goggles 2.
2023-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4 Posted at 9-4 18:54
The registration of the drone on the FAA website being a requirement for the drone to transmit was an assumption, not one that I made. I stated it shouldn't be related since FAA has not finalized UPP which is a network synced remote ID system.  

There is NO correlation with my ability to register the drone on the FAA website and the ability of the Remote ID module (software) to transmit on the drone. I also proved that with my raspberry pi tests.   Now, with that said, I'm not going to assume DJI Fly isn't doing a check in the background to see if the drone is registered (public info) before allowing the drone to transmit.  It is a possibility so I wasn't going to rule it out and why I tested again with the FPV DJI V2 googles.  Other than what I mentioned before, the transmission was momentary at best and wasn't consistent with the DJI FPV goggles V2. There is a bug.

Ok, was just wondering how a discussion about sw update and transmission and working/not working evolved into an FAA database discussion.  There is absolute no way RID transmission is based on registration.   That would defeat the purpose of RID which says (as you like to keep pointing out), the rotors won't spin and the standard RID drone won't lift off unless it is registered.  Not happening.

And then there's a tiny tiny chance RID transmission might be triggered by having the RID details properly logged into the FAA database but again, what is the thinking behind grounding a registered drone that doesn't have the required RID details listed in the FAA database?  Is that a rule?  I don't think so.
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-4 21:16
Ok, was just wondering how a discussion about sw update and transmission and working/not working evolved into an FAA database discussion.  There is absolute no way RID transmission is based on registration.   That would defeat the purpose of RID which says (as you like to keep pointing out), the rotors won't spin and the standard RID drone won't lift off unless it is registered.  Not happening.

And then there's a tiny tiny chance RID transmission might be triggered by having the RID details properly logged into the FAA database but again, what is the thinking behind grounding a registered drone that doesn't have the required RID details listed in the FAA database?  Is that a rule?  I don't think so.

I have no evidence that indicates registering with the FAA and the drone transmitting are related.   The only thing I know for sure is with the FPV Goggles V2, the drone will not transmit the Radio ID constantly.  With the Integra Goggles, I can see the Radio ID in the Goggles and the drone transmits the Radio ID, drone serial number, my location, etc.  I seriously doubt the registration on the FAA website has anything to do with it and was my original point.  If you go back and read, I stated it was closer to compliance when the drone is broadcasting an unregistered Serial Number than if it is not broadcasting at all.  At least if it is broadcasting, the worse that can happen is they ask me why that number is not registered.  In this case is because it isn't officially approved but the point is, the drone is broadcasting the Radio ID, my location and the flight information which is most important when it comes to safety in my mind.   I don't think law enforcement will come down on anyone has hard for the delayed process when the drone is actually compliant except for the approved registration.  however, my drone is registered in the FAA database using the Radio ID provided in the integra goggles.  
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

Ok, was just wondering how a discussion about sw update and transmission and working/not working evolved into an FAA database discussion.  There is absolute no way RID transmission is based on registration.   That would defeat the purpose of RID which says (as you like to keep pointing out), the rotors won't spin and the standard RID drone won't lift off unless it is registered.  Not happening.

I believe the day will come when "UPP" is enforced, your drone will require a network connection and I have no doubt the software will check to see if the drone is registered.  If it is not registered, it will not be permitted to take off.  That day may not be today or even next year but It is coming.. The drone industry is ramping up for much greater than the hobby and when that happens, everyone will be required to be networked and we will have a Radarbox / FlightRadar24 style website that tracks all drone flights.  They did it with ADSB so why wouldn't they do it with drones?   Just because they decided to not require network relay of your Radio ID information for this up coming deadline, it doesn't mean it is dead.  Look up FAA "UPP" program..
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-4 15:02

While I have no official evidence of this, it would appear the range is something like this. 1581F37Q000000000000 - 1581F37QFFFFFFFFFFFF

If this range, not yet found on the website, was not in the serial numbers of approved models, I do not believe it would not accept the serial number.

1581F = DJI Radio ID Designator.
37Q = DJI Model - FPV drone, released in 2020.
The rest is your unique serial number.  It is the same for all DJI drones to my knowledge.  4QW is probably the model designator for the Avata.
2023-9-5
Use props
djiuser_2pYijmuSzJH4
lvl.2
United States

I do not believe the FAA database is actually working like I was expecting.  Either the Air 2 is already approved or it fits the REGX the site is looking for.  I just registered my Air 2 on the website and I seriously doubt it is Radio ID ready.. That's our government at work for you.. LOL
2023-9-5
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules