Getting my first proper video camera
330 11 2023-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vojtech Papacek
lvl.2
Czechia

While I am experienced with standard cameras, (by that I mean ones which are specialized in photos, not videos) I am not really familiar with cameras such as the Action 3 or 4.
So, the question here is; Is there a common problem that is a must-know for a person who is about to get an Action 3 delivered?

Thanks to everyone in advance!
2023-9-9
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Some of the 3 models had focus problems. Eg, the specs states minimum focus distance of 30cm. However, when you shot something (or took a photo) of something from 30cm, or even 50, it was somewhat blurry. So people who always wanted to appear on the big Hollywood canvas but got rejected during the audition process started to use the camera for vlogging and their face was too "soft" - due to the focus issue. You will find a couple videos on YT (and here on the forum) where people started adjusting (aka turning) the lens to make it sharper, etc. Not all models had this issue so no reason to worry at this point, especially if you are not trying to use to for macro photography but use it for the purpose it was built for, which is capturing ACTION or take photos of landscapes, architecture, etc, where the wide angle lens really shines.

In case if you're into focus testing, you can download the "famous" focus chart here, which was very popular when the 3 was released :-)
https://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/res-chart.html

Personally, I'm happy with mine. A few days shy of being 1 year old.

2023-9-9
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI offered the latest camera, suggest going that route, watch our  vids, ask us more questions we be happy to share
2023-9-10
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 9-9 13:37
Some of the 3 models had focus problems. Eg, the specs states minimum focus distance of 30cm. However, when you shot something (or took a photo) of something from 30cm, or even 50, it was somewhat blurry. So people who always wanted to appear on the big Hollywood canvas but got rejected during the audition process started to use the camera for vlogging and their face was too "soft" - due to the focus issue. You will find a couple videos on YT (and here on the forum) where people started adjusting (aka turning) the lens to make it sharper, etc. Not all models had this issue so no reason to worry at this point, especially if you are not trying to use to for macro photography but use it for the purpose it was built for, which is capturing ACTION or take photos of landscapes, architecture, etc, where the wide angle lens really shines.

In case if you're into focus testing, you can download the "famous" focus chart here, which was very popular when the 3 was released :-)

Haha. I started vlogging on my pushbike so that I get the best from the camera.
2023-9-10
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Are you aiming to record things such as extreme sports, subjects around an area that could subject the camera to water (possibly even underwater), sand, dust etc., and around situations where the camera could possibly be subject to possible bumps and shunts? If so, an action camera such as Action 3 could be the choice to select. It is better protected against the environment than a regular video camera. However, if you're not that much into action, want to create videos more of the type of vlogging, holiday memories, documenting etc. and want better stabilization and image quality, the something like the Pocket 2 could be more up to your valley. It pretty much depends on the purpose you are getting the camera for. One camera works better for one situation, and the other for others.

Good luck in finding the best option for you, I hope you find the Action 3 suitable for your needs!
2023-9-10
Use props
Vojtech Papacek
lvl.2
Czechia

HGDC84 Posted at 9-10 13:26
Are you aiming to record things such as extreme sports, subjects around an area that could subject the camera to water (possibly even underwater), sand, dust etc., and around situations where the camera could possibly be subject to possible bumps and shunts? If so, an action camera such as Action 3 could be the choice to select. It is better protected against the environment than a regular video camera. However, if you're not that much into action, want to create videos more of the type of vlogging, holiday memories, documenting etc. and want better stabilization and image quality, the something like the Pocket 2 could be more up to your valley. It pretty much depends on the purpose you are getting the camera for. One camera works better for one situation, and the other for others.

Good luck in finding the best option for you, I hope you find the Action 3 suitable for your needs!

I'll be using the camera for many things, from motorcycle to photography (yes, even that).

I haven't chosen the Pocket 2 and many other products because they did not fit my needs. (mainly convenience, mounts and form factor)

Thanks for the reply!
2023-9-12
Use props
Vojtech Papacek
lvl.2
Czechia

Fishycomics Posted at 9-10 07:55
DJI offered the latest camera, suggest going that route, watch our  vids, ask us more questions we be happy to share

I thought about buying the Action 4. But due to problems on my part, I cannot (and couldn't) order it.

Thank you for replying!
2023-9-12
Use props
Vojtech Papacek
lvl.2
Czechia

osmonauta Posted at 9-9 13:37
Some of the 3 models had focus problems. Eg, the specs states minimum focus distance of 30cm. However, when you shot something (or took a photo) of something from 30cm, or even 50, it was somewhat blurry. So people who always wanted to appear on the big Hollywood canvas but got rejected during the audition process started to use the camera for vlogging and their face was too "soft" - due to the focus issue. You will find a couple videos on YT (and here on the forum) where people started adjusting (aka turning) the lens to make it sharper, etc. Not all models had this issue so no reason to worry at this point, especially if you are not trying to use to for macro photography but use it for the purpose it was built for, which is capturing ACTION or take photos of landscapes, architecture, etc, where the wide angle lens really shines.

I suppose the older units had this problem. Heard that they've supposedly "fixed" it with a firmware update (if I am not mistaken). I have downloaded the chart just in case...

Thanks for the reply!
2023-9-12
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Few photos taken by the OA3 using RAW. I have an August '22 unit.
https://500px.com/p/osmonauta/galleries/osmo-action-3
2023-9-12
Use props
Vojtech Papacek
lvl.2
Czechia

osmonauta Posted at 9-12 06:07
Few photos taken by the OA3 using RAW. I have an August '22 unit.
https://500px.com/p/osmonauta/galleries/osmo-action-3

Wow.
Thanks for sharing! Some say that the images the camera takes are "mediocre". I don't get it! It's on the user, not the camera... at least for me!

I won't advice anything.. because I, myself, am a sorta a dummy when it comes to taking photos. I praise your skill!
2023-9-12
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Thanks ...but I don't have any skills. I think the camera can take good pictures and the "fault" is due to mediocre monitors.
2023-9-12
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Vojtech Papacek Posted at 9-12 00:53
I'll be using the camera for many things, from motorcycle to photography (yes, even that).

I haven't chosen the Pocket 2 and many other products because they did not fit my needs. (mainly convenience, mounts and form factor)

I can understand that the Pocket 2 and other similar cameras may not be optimal for some things that are better suited for the traditional action cameras, so fair enough. For instance, I could imagine an action camera would be a better fit for motorcycle footage, as you mentioned. And I do think that while the action cam might not be the best possible choice for photography, I do think that you can absolutely get very decent photos with those too, if the settings, lighting and surroundings are suitable. Whatever you use scenarios are, I hope you find the best camera for your needs
2023-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules