EU laws C class for Mavic 2 Pro?
47237 77 2019-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14068337 ft
Sweden

I should have read all posts here before I made a comment and now see the following:

1. Mavic 2 Pro does not at moment fit any categories.
2. Does not have ID responder
3. Can not be retrospective to classifications
4. To high speed/impact
5. Can fly to A1 and A2 and A3 if no buildings and people till end 2022
It therefor is a legacy drone.

It is a bit sad for me, as I just purchased the drone and was not aware of this and no one informed me about anything of the in the shop, which I feel was not quite OK.

I will in any case here in Sweden have to register the drone and also take on-line test and pass with at least 75% and get a drone certificate or card to be allowed to fly the drone 150m away from house, people, crowds, animals etc. and only in appropriate area.
2020-12-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Mavic 2 is never going to fit any category.  Nor is any drone currently on the market.

However its not as bad as it seems.

Mavic 2 is going to be legacy and allowed to fly with A3 (Not within 150m of residential  areas etc) *but* if the operator passes an A2CoC course you can fly it in category A2 as a legacy drone until 31st December 2022 so 2 years from now.  That will allow no closer than 50m from uninvolved persons (or overfly them) *but* does not have the 150m rule that A3 does.

Basically, if you find A3 too limiting, just do an A2CoC course (a few hours max) and you can fly in A2 legacy for the next 2 years which is a lot less restrictive than current rules are.

This will be an issue with any drone currently on the market - there are no category approved drones in existence so they'll be legacy.  Its also likely the reason why there was no Mavic 3 this year - it'll be next year instead and likely C2 or C1 certified.
2020-12-10
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

gnirtS Posted at 12-10 16:38
Mavic 2 is never going to fit any category.  Nor is any drone currently on the market.

Hi gnirts,
Many thanks for that explanation. I have a hard time understanding these new rules from the documents that I got from the authorities. This will hopefully explain to everyone.
2020-12-11
Use props
Fjellmaen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 599944 ft
  • >>>
Norway

gnirtS Posted at 12-10 16:38
Mavic 2 is never going to fit any category.  Nor is any drone currently on the market.

Too bad, i was thinking about the new Mini drone. But for operations close to people and buildings.
2020-12-11
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 12-11 00:29
Hi gnirts,
Many thanks for that explanation. I have a hard time understanding these new rules from the documents that I got from the authorities. This will hopefully explain to everyone.

I think basically it can be simplified to:-

If the drone can be purchases in 2020, it will NOT ever qualify as a EASA category drone and all will be legacy from that point forward.

So currently, every single drone from every single manufacturer thats available..
2020-12-11
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

kyalami Posted at 12-10 06:49
The authorities goes by weight 900gr. A scale should always be calibrated to the specific gravity in that country and where it is, so than an object always weigh the same wherever it is weighed. That is how we calibrated the scales we exported  to different countries in the world. So if + - 20gr Mavic 2 Pro would not come above 900 gr.
Actually makes no difference, as KE = 181,4 jules.

Yes, mass up to 900g then doesn't make sense, if impact force, achieved by terminal velocity of the object, is already max out at let say 250g. then only option is, we're talking about parachute systems etc, but there's catch also, since in open category it is mandatory, no object should ejected of the drone etc, if i'm not mistaken. But it would be very nice,m if they could somehow make c certification on it, it is super steady and safe drone.
By the way, i also measure my m2p, i got 898g, but i do think with correct scale, it should be even few grams less. I pick up  somewhere (maybe here), 907g is actually mass with gimbal cover, which on version 2 is not used in flight. Could be this answer?
2020-12-12
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

kyalami Posted at 12-10 10:54
I should have read all posts here before I made a comment and now see the following:

1. Mavic 2 Pro does not at moment fit any categories.

Yes, M2P could fly under a2 subcategory (but then again,  f actuall weihght is under 900h, also a1 then ;) ) till end of 2022, after that in a3 only. I know that. but:

- Id transponders (ot better to say digital id emission system, so far true transponders are not mandotory, at least not in open category, as far i know)  i think it could be achieved by firmware upgrade (don't quote me on that, but there are dji systema already out there, which are in use by police etc for drones id etc ;).
- same as lower limit of top speed could be achieved by some firmware upgrade (with this, mini 2 could easily get let C0 mark, for ex.).
- C classification could be retrospective, it was clearly mentioned on EASA presentation few days ago. it need to be officially done by manufacturer, but still.
- Top speed as i said it is not a problem to lower down. Something similar was actually done already on mavic 2 series, when maximum height was locked till max 500m, which before there wasn't any limit before (or it was really high).

So, only that is left to "solve" is impact force , which again, then i don't see any sense making 900g category, since 80j is probably max out at 250g already and you can't use system, which are ejected from drone in open category. maybe if they move to c2 class, where proabaly imapct force could be higher. And it seems, you will need insurance for drone to fly commercialy, and this so far could be possible only with a2 (c2) drones, at least in uk etc, fro ex., as far i can tell. We are still waiting on this to be clear in EU, since every member state must decide for itself abiout it).

I know, i know, i shouldn't have any high hopes in this, but anyway..
2020-12-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

izotop Posted at 12-12 11:05
Yes, M2P could fly under a2 subcategory (but then again,  f actuall weihght is under 900h, also a1 then ;) ) till end of 2022, after that in a3 only. I know that. but:

- Id transponders (ot better to say digital id emission system, so far true transponders are not mandotory, at least not in open category, as far i know)  i think it could be achieved by firmware upgrade (don't quote me on that, but there are dji systema already out there, which are in use by police etc for drones id etc ;).

Hi izotop,
I just did make a quick check of what the gimbal cover and got 12-13 grams. My previous measurements were without the gimbal cover, so to reflect the weight when flying.
Well that is nice to hear that it may be possible for a retrospective C classification.
I would not mind if DJI does a firmware upgrade for lower speed, as I do not need high speed at all, but perhaps others do.
Yes, it is somehow sad that we may not be able to fly after and of 2022, but hope that perhaps something may mystically change????.
2020-12-12
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

kyalami Posted at 12-12 11:24
Hi izotop,
I just did make a quick check of what the gimbal cover and got 12-13 grams. My previous measurements were without the gimbal cover, so to reflect the weight when flying.
Well that is nice to hear that it may be possible for a retrospective C classification.

believe me, it would be very welcomed from lot of people, if mavic 2 line could be use also in a1 or a2 category (after 2022, if possible).
2020-12-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

No drone on the market currently is going to come under any category.  Every single one regardless of weight, size or modes will be "legacy".
It doesnt matter what modifications are made, its not certified.
You can fly from 2021 onwards in the A3 category.
If you do an A2CoC you can fly the M2 in the A2 category until 31st Dec 2022 and A3 after that.

1789-table- (1).jpg
2020-12-12
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

gnirtS Posted at 12-12 12:02
No drone on the market currently is going to come under any category.  Every single one regardless of weight, size or modes will be "legacy".
You can fly after 2021 onwards in the A3 category.

all depends from CE C certification process (and when it will be fully in power, if not laready) and manufacturer  "ambition" i guess. as i said, there is an theoretical or legal option for this, if what they say at easa, it true.
2020-12-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

It doesnt if you already on a drone.  No matter what the manufacturer does existing drones are legacy.  Simple as that.
Even if they did certify M2 (they wont, no point, M3 will be out next year) that wouldn't apply to those manufactured or sold before that date.
2020-12-12
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

gnirtS Posted at 12-12 12:30
It doesnt if you already on a drone.  No matter what the manufacturer does existing drones are legacy.  Simple as that.
Even if they did certify M2 (they wont, no point, M3 will be out next year) that wouldn't apply to those manufactured or sold before that date.

Here you go, this is actual dji respond about retroactive CE C class labels:
https://enterprise-insights.dji. ... u-drone-regulations

They apparently working with TUV from Germany etc for that. And there will or may be a list with dji model, which will be able to be retroactive C marked (if all this is true).

So, i would n't exactly say it's not possible to happen. All this drones are equipped with a lot safety features (especially mavic 2 series etc) and are very capable and safe technicology.
2020-12-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

gnirtS Posted at 12-12 12:02
No drone on the market currently is going to come under any category.  Every single one regardless of weight, size or modes will be "legacy".
You can fly from 2021 onwards in the A3 category.

Excellent gnirtS and many thanks for this. It certainly makes it very clear what is valid. Now its 100% clear to me. This should settle everything.
2020-12-13
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

kyalami Posted at 12-13 00:56
Excellent gnirtS and many thanks for this. It certainly makes it very clear what is valid. Now its 100% clear to me. This should settle everything.

did you check link i posted before? here's  some qoute from q&a:

Q: How do I know whether the drones I have in stock will be able to get a CE class identification label retroactively?

Once the standards have been confirmed by the regulatory authorities and the notified bodies are in place, we will inform you which products will be included in retroactive CE class identification labelling.

Q: How will I be able to get a CE class identification label retroactively for the drones I have in stock?

For the confirmed products, this will require a hardware and/or firmware upgrade (still to be decided!) which will have to be performed by DJI or authorised dealers. Customers may do this upgrade themselves but the manufacturer needs to set up a controlled process with a verification through a notified body (still to be decided!). We will inform you in due course how this process will work in practice.
2020-12-13
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

izotop Posted at 12-13 05:06

Q: How do I know whether the drones I have in stock will be able to get a CE class identification label retroactively?

Hi izotop, Yes I read the link, but rechecked it now and realised that I stopped at the QnA, Sorry about this, I should have continued later, but forgot. Thanks for reminding me.
When it says like: "retroactively for the drones I have in stock" does that refer to a supplier or an owner of a drone? As it is Dji who are responding to the questions. Does that then mean that if you the user have an Mavic 2 pro, that you can either send it in to a authorised workshop or do it yourself or it can not be done, only by new stock at DJI or an authorised reseller.? Certainly this gives some hope at least, if I have understood everything. Many thanks for reminding me and very interesting.
2020-12-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

izotop Posted at 12-13 05:06

The comments there directly contradict the official EASA documents that specifically state retrospective is not an option - if you already own it, it cannot be certified *even* if the same product is later certified.
Any bought before that date are and will remain legacy.
Official documents (In this case, EASA 945) would seem to be more reliable than those of a company who have as before now, proven not to be correct.
All this is on the EASA portal.
2020-12-13
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

gnirtS Posted at 12-13 09:51
The comments there directly contradict the official EASA documents that specifically state retrospective is not an option - if you already own it, it cannot be certified *even* if the same product is later certified.
Official documents (In this case, EASA 945) would seem to be more reliable than those of a company who have as before now, proven not to be correct.

True. You have to trust EASA, others may be biased. I will now stick to the document that you so kindly attached above and that my drone falls under legacy and can not be modified. My guess is that as a company like DJI want to sell more drones, they may com out with the Mavic 3 Pro with all bells and whistle on to harmonise with EU/EASA. Thanks gnirtS.
2020-12-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

From DJIs point of view, Mavic 3 is likely already developed.  No point releasing this year due to covid, lockdowns and EASA rules.  So release it next summer when people are moving, people are working rules are in.
They're not a charity - there's no real point to them actually certifying an old product when you can nudge people into upgrading.

That said, A2CoC is cheap and takes a few hours of time, that gives everyone with it 2 years of drone use so plenty of time to wait.

I won't have issues with my M2 until January 2023 so i have 2 years of use which are *less restrictive* than i had previously under the old rules.  By that time my drone will be 4-5 years old and likely upgrade time anyway if i haven't already lost it by then.
What *may* happen is second hand resale value of old drones will crash in 2022 as the deadline approaches.

You're looking at 100 euros or so for an A2CoC.
2020-12-13
Use props
Fjellmaen
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

I think Norway only has until january or summer 2022 with old rules. I might be wrong though, havent followed the progress after the corona delay this summer. But with old rules it is 50m distance. Im going for 5m distance by new rules asap. Too many roads and rural houses in norwegian nature. You dont get nice legal footage with 50m distance.
2020-12-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Some of the changes are better, some worse depending.

Current UK regs have a distance as a slant distance whereas the new regulations have horizontal (which will be further).  On the other hand, the clause about no flying over built up areas has been removed (under A2) but a new clause above directly overflying uninvolved people has been introduced whereas previously there was none.

Legacy drones are going to be 50m horizontal distance, C2 drones will be 30m / 5m.

The big change is the removal of a distinction between commercial and recreational flight.Not having different rules and licenses needed for every country will help too.  In THEORY it should be consistent although i suspect individual states will still block off a lot of airspace (Greece, Germany etc).
2020-12-13
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

gnirtS Posted at 12-13 09:51

Please, check recent easa video on general implementation of new directive. They clearly mentioned, drones could be retroactively certified, if possible, but it need to be done officially by manufacturer somehow.

I forgot if it was in first or second one, but it won't harm to check both anyway. Anyway, i'm not trying to make any false hopes etc, but clearly, they leave this as an option and seems dji did acknowledge this. I guess we'll have to see in the future..
2020-12-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

EASA 945 contradicts that.  I think what the video means is they could be *but* it would only apply to products with the CE rating stamped on it (ie ones produced AFTER that date).  This is normal for CE stuff - if it literally hasnt got the physical markings, its not approved.  I've got a non-drone issue with something else i use for work where it was purchased elsewhere before certification and although its identical to the new ones WITH the stamp, its not certified and never will be.
So it could if DJI choose be applied to the Mavic 2 if it complies but only on ones sold after that date.
On a more realistic note, i cant see DJI bothering when they'll have a Mavic 3 to sell you instead.
2020-12-13
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

gnirtS Posted at 12-13 11:59
From DJIs point of view, Mavic 3 is likely already developed.  No point releasing this year due to covid, lockdowns and EASA rules.  So release it next summer when people are moving, people are working rules are in.
They're not a charity - there's no real point to them actually certifying an old product when you can nudge people into upgrading.

Hmm, i wont be so sure A2 license is cheap and just few hours to learn, this might be a case with A1/A3 licence, where on-line exam will be free (as far as i know, at least here in EU-Slovenia), but operator registration (and all his drones)  will be something like under 100€, probably somewhere half of that.
You can find on youtube some guy, which already past a2 test in UK (also i think you can apply for exams in ireland etc) , and he, if i remember correctly, is mentioning cost about 200-300pounds just for (online) training (not sure if its mandatory or not, and if exam it is included in this). And i think there's lot more study material just for few hours. Also license (not sure about registration) is valid for 5 years "only", but still it is expense on long run.

2020-12-13
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

gnirtS Posted at 12-13 15:33
EASA 945 contradicts that.  I think what the video means is they could be *but* it would only apply to products with the CE rating stamped on it (ie ones produced AFTER that date).  This is normal for CE stuff - if it literally hasnt got the physical markings, its not approved.  I've got a non-drone issue with something else i use for work where it was purchased elsewhere before certification and although its identical to the new ones WITH the stamp, its not certified and never will be.
So it could if DJI choose be applied to the Mavic 2 if it complies but only on ones sold after that date.
On a more realistic note, i cant see DJI bothering when they'll have a Mavic 3 to sell you instead.

Look, i'm not 100% about all this, but just trying to get some information and what we already know about this, since it is interesting to a lot of people, believe me. This is not just about some cheap, toy hobby drones (but i wouldn't exactly call mavic 2 line toys, it ts advanced model used in many professional applications), it's  probably also about their professional models etc, where people invested a lot of money, training etc. You can't just ban them from the sky or art least banned them from areas, where before they were considered legal and have all needed certifications already (if not, they couldn't be sold on the market anyway).
Here's the video maybe on this, where claims from the link are explained and this is actually guy, that i was mentioning before, he has video about A2 license too (and some other usable information about new regulations, so maybe it is good idea to check it out).
2020-12-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

They arent being banned from the skies.  In the EU and UK it'll revert to A3 class.  Still legal to fly within those constraints (which exist in lots of countries even now).

They can still be legally sold as well which is what article 22 transitional (EU 2019/947 )covers.  So they'll be legal to buy until 1/1/23 and legal to fly after that in A3.

Its not going to affect the professional drones (inspire etc) as due to their weight they're already operating outside this category.  I2 will be allowed under C2 if certified.

I'll also maintain its not in DJIs business interest to certify the M2 (at the cost that involves) as its time to release a new product anyway.  Inspire is a little different - it will still be current and existing PfCO/GVC and so out negate the rules to an extent.
2020-12-13
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

i guess we'll have to on wait some official respond from easa or dji about this. till then, is just he says i say scenario..
2020-12-14
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

Today,  mavic 2 enterprise advanced was announced, coming to consumers probably somewhere q1 2021. This gives me a little more hope on this certification matter. I really hoping whole mavic 2 line will/would be included, it this happen. Dji, don't forget about us, please.

https://www.dji.com/si/mavic-2-e ... dsite&from=homepage
2020-12-15
Use props
Ioannis Xiouris Ioannou
New

Cyprus

Guys I have a quick question, can I fly my M2 Pro under A3 category only, so I do not have to get the A2 certification? I do not need to fly above towns and people.
2021-1-5
Use props
Ioannis Xiouris Ioannou
New

Cyprus

Guys hi, I have M2 Pro, I do not need to fly over towns and people. I need only A3 category. My question I need to have also A2 certification for that? thank you
2021-1-5
Use props
GeorgOctane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 285807 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Ioannis Xiouris Ioannou Posted at 1-5 08:01
Guys hi, I have M2 Pro, I do not need to fly over towns and people. I need only A3 category. My question I need to have also A2 certification for that? thank you

No, A2 is only needed if you want to fly up to 50m close to people, residential areas aso.
With A3 you have to keep a distance of at least 150m from the aforementioned, but you can still fly your Mavic 2 Pro with it legally if you have the A1/A3 certificate (online test, registration and insurance).

BR,
Georg
2021-1-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Ioannis Xiouris Ioannou Posted at 1-5 08:01
Guys hi, I have M2 Pro, I do not need to fly over towns and people. I need only A3 category. My question I need to have also A2 certification for that? thank you

Remember its no people *in the flight area* not just over people.

But yes you can, you can fly in A3 under the legacy category.  Provdided its properly registered and youve done the online test.

See the chart i posted above.
2021-1-6
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

Sadly, a2 doesn't automatically means you can actually fly in urban areas with m2, for ex (till 2023). as it happens, in our country here in Slovenia, state agency decided to restrict drones over 500g to fly in urban areas, which imo contradicts easa basic subcategory division (but that is to be determined).
Anyhow, what i'm trying to say is, you have to check all local detail about drone regulations in your state (also for local geo zones etc). This whole ease thing is not what we all hope for, it was more or less marketing.
2021-1-27
Use props
Fjellmaen
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

I just bought Mini 2 so i can fly everywhere legally. Quality is good enough, and certainly better than no footage at all. In Norway Mini 2 is allowed to fly C0 A1 even though not classified. Waiting for Mavic 3 for C1 flying. Meanwhile using Mavic 2 for nature shots.
2021-2-13
Use props
fans00b1c25b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 720850 ft
Netherlands

Is there any update on this? Will the Mavic 2 pro receive a c2 class marking in 2023?
2022-12-31
Use props
Corben
New

Finland

I personally think these EU regulations are absolutely retarded and are intended to discourage people from flying RC aircrafts in the first place. However, I don't see any technical reasons why Mavic 2 couldn't be C1 certified.

The (EU) 2019/945 regulation states: "impact at terminal velocity with a human head, the energy transmitted to the human head is less than 80 J, or, as an alternative, shall have an MTOM of less than 900 g". I believe the term terminal velocity might be a mistranslation, since for example the French version uses the term 'vitesse limite', which means maximum speed. At it's maximum speed of 67 km/h, the Mavic 2 weighting 907g has kinetic energy of 157J. If on impact, half of that energy is transferred to a hard target (such as a human head), then it's less than 80J.
Since Mavic 2 has a built in Wifi, the Direct Remote Identification (DRI), with all of its privacy invading glory, could most likely be implemented by an SW update, as would the requirement to limit the maximum distance from the remote to 50m in the active track mode.

Seeing as DJI doesn't seem to be interested in offering C1 for Mavic 2, they should at least give something like a 50% discount to Mavic 2 owners looking to buy a Mavic 3.

2023-7-31
Use props
nubbix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 407687 ft
Norway

Corben Posted at 2023-7-31 01:01
I personally think these EU regulations are absolutely retarded and are intended to discourage people from flying RC aircrafts in the first place. However, I don't see any technical reasons why Mavic 2 couldn't be C1 certified.

The (EU) 2019/945 regulation states: "impact at terminal velocity with a human head, the energy transmitted to the human head is less than 80 J, or, as an alternative, shall have an MTOM of less than 900 g". I believe the term terminal velocity might be a mistranslation, since for example the French version uses the term 'vitesse limite', which means maximum speed. At it's maximum speed of 67 km/h, the Mavic 2 weighting 907g has kinetic energy of 157J. If on impact, half of that energy is transferred to a hard target (such as a human head), then it's less than 80J.

C2 marking for DJI Mavic 2 pro is for sure the better option. Drones above 900g.
If DJI will not update the Mavic 2 Pro to be compliant with the new EU regulations, I think it is basically a shame. You can still use the drone in A3, but still not in A2. So I truly second the suggestion above, give all Mavic 2 users a 50% discount when buying the DJI Mavic 3 or above..
2-28 14:34
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

nubbix Posted at 2-28 14:34
C2 marking for DJI Mavic 2 pro is for sure the better option. Drones above 900g.
If DJI will not update the Mavic 2 Pro to be compliant with the new EU regulations, I think it is basically a shame. You can still use the drone in A3, but still not in A2. So I truly second the suggestion above, give all Mavic 2 users a 50% discount when buying the DJI Mavic 3 or above..

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We totally understand your request however, the DJI Mavic 2 series does not support CX certification but you can still fly this drone in the A3 environment. We appreciate your understanding and support.
2-28 22:39
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules