Nexus 6p connection issues (Netherlands)
1043 3 2017-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vlemert
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hi people,

Just unpacked my spark today, and had a terrible time getting it to work with my nexus 6p. The phone connects with the controller's wifi network, but the DJI GO app simply does not detect the drone. I first thought it was either the drone or the controller that was not responding well, but it worked immediately when I tried it on a samsung tablet. Finally managed to dig up an OTG cable, and using that I could connect my 6p to the drone and everything worked like a charm.

So what does work:
- connecting the tablet to the controller using wifi
- connecting the nexus 6p to the controller using a cable

What doesn't work:
- connecting the 6p to either the controller or the spark
- weirdly enough, connecting the tablet to the spark directly (wifi connects, DJI GO app doesn't recognise the drone is connected)

The situation was the same before and after the DJI GO app on the tablet detected I'm in europe and suggested to switch to european wifi thingies.

I'm a bit at a loss here, and was wondering whether there are any 6p owners in europe who did get this working. I suspect it's got something to do with wifi standards and the whole 2.4ghz / 5ghz trick the controller uses when connecting to both the spark and a phone, but other than that no clue whatsoever.

Would like to get it working without cables if only so I'm not completely dependent on having the OTG around. If anybody got any ideas I could try, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Niels
2017-7-21
Use props
Donalbain
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208504 ft

Germany

I'm also quite new to the whole matter, but maybe this helps:

After you connect to the wifi of spark or the RC, switch to the web browser and try to load a website. Some android notification will popup (swipe down to look for it) and inform you that the connection has no internet. There is a checkbox to the meaning of "Yeah, I know, no problem, don't bother me again" (I'm paraphrasing here). Hit that box and OK. After that you should be able to connect to Spark or RC. It also helps to reset the wifi settings of the Spark (press button for about 9 seconds until you hear three beeps), delete the wifi-settings for the spark on the phone and start over.

But even if you get a connection you might see that the android app is totally broken and crashes often. That is why I would recommend to use the phone only with RC for now (until they release a working update) and make sure that the Spark has enough time before liftoff in order to get a good home point (look for the number of satellites). Even when the app crashes you can still fly the Spark with the remote alone and also summon it to get back home.
2017-7-21
Use props
Vlemert
lvl.1
Netherlands

Bit of a late reply, but thank you so much for you help. I was not aware that Android is that persistent in not connecting to networks without internet access. I thought the notification was just informative...

Anyway, got everything working with your instructions. I do have to put my phone in airplane mode, as it still seems to try to do 4g stuff even though I told it to use the spark's wifi network regardless of internet connection. Had the app crash once or twice in flight now, in over 2 hours of flight time. Not too bad (expected worse), but I definitely won't be flying without the RC connected as well as losing my video feed scared me enough.

Again, thanks for you help, really appreciate it.
2017-7-25
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

I am a potential new purchaser but I have a Nexus 6P and I am very concerned about the reports i am seeing of problems. The app in the app store has more 1* ratings than 5* and the Nexus seems to feature.

I know that people who have issues complain more than people who dont have issues praise. However  I specifically want to use this as a leisure film platform and not spend all my time trying to fly or uploading updates or repairing a broken drone.

Have you got this working reliably or is your heart in your mouth every flight?
2017-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules