POLL: What Experience are YOU having after the recent updates?
16458 162 2017-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-8-11 21:13
There's a thread here somewhere with a link to numerous device tests, but I'd suggest a minimum of A8 for the apple options. I've just upgraded to an Air 2 with the A8X, but yet to test.
Also, Litchi doesn't seem to have the decoding issue so that may be a cheap way to prolong the  hardware decision...

Litchi is saving my bacon... works perfectly on the iPad Mini 2.  No Video Transmission problems... suddenly it is a joy to fly again.
2017-8-11
Use props
Chops
New
United States

My obstacle avoidance system is going haywire at low level flights, when less than 8'-0" above level and clear ground(pavement)
2017-8-12
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Chops Posted at 2017-8-12 05:57
My obstacle avoidance system is going haywire at low level flights, when less than 8'-0" above level and clear ground(pavement)

Do you mean that it is working properly, although it is annoying?  Mine seems to be working properly, but it is now SO active and sensitive, so at low level flight it is beeping pretty much constantly.
2017-8-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Should have a box that say " everything working flawlessly because I didn't update" that's the box I would click.....
2017-8-12
Use props
mM6jSaE8C2mK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57697 ft
United States

I updated my Phantom 4 and like MANY others it has become unstable and is now a paper weight. Very frustrating!
2017-8-12
Use props
fans0c92d873
lvl.1
United States

Poor ever since I upgrade it  my gimbal will not work
2017-8-12
Use props
Dav Carps
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34324 ft
Canada

Great Poll...Maybe something DJI should've done themselves earlier!
2017-8-12
Use props
KIRSCH83
New

United States

My number 1 issue is the DJI GO App warning me that Maximum Altitude and Distance have been reached. This is irrelevant to what I have set up in the settings as maximum altitude is 500m and maximum distance is disabled. The fix for me is returning the drone to its home point, turning everything off, closing the app and then turn everything back on and re launch the app. Hope this helps other people. This never happened before so it's frustrating that I now have to deal with this. Maximum altitude is around 97ft when the warning happens.
2017-8-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KIRSCH83 Posted at 2017-8-12 11:04
My number 1 issue is the DJI GO App warning me that Maximum Altitude and Distance have been reached. This is irrelevant to what I have set up in the settings as maximum altitude is 500m and maximum distance is disabled. The fix for me is returning the drone to its home point, turning everything off, closing the app and then turn everything back on and re launch the app. Hope this helps other people. This never happened before so it's frustrating that I now have to deal with this. Maximum altitude is around 97ft when the warning happens.

Would that be 30m altitude by any chance, and maximum radius of 50m ? With all connected and powered up, and a good wifi signal to display, log into your DJI account on DJI Go 4. Or log out and back in again. That should remove the restrictions, and after that initial log in internet is required.
2017-8-12
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

I did the update a couple of days ago.
My procedure:
With DJI Go on IOS I updated the radio.
Then did the Phantom with DJI Assistant 2 on Win 10 Pro latest. Needed a couple of refreshes to cover all 3 batteries.
Calibrated the obstacle avoidance cameras and VPS in Assistant.
Calibrated radio sticks.
Calibrated IMU
Calibrated gimbal.

No freezes, crashes or any other weird behaviour during the updates.

DJI Go and Assistant both report all OK.

Test flew today.

Weather was windy, 20 mph gusting to 24 mph (according to my anemometer and weather reports).
Hovered at a few different heights for several minutes. Phantom held position and altitude very well, despite the strong gusts. GPS and VPS altitudes tallied pretty close.
Flew straight out into the wind, to 400m. Didn't fancy going far or high because of the gusts.
Phantom flew straight and steady, no bucking or weird movements.
Flew back with a tail wind, again, held altitude well.
Flew cross wind at full speed - held direction well.
Gimbal stayed horizontal the entire time.

No video loss, no lag, no signal loss.

Pretty happy with the result. Will test range next time I can get out.
2017-8-12
Use props
fans12becebc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27969 ft
United States

I had distance and height restrictions. not sure about anything else. uninstalled dji4 and reinstalled good to go now.
2017-8-12
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 696788 ft
United States

Not as stable flight, vision system error, and always seems to be some strong interference no matter where I fly from.  I love my phantom but because of the failware being issued from DJI, I will no longer be buying products from them. The cost of their products is on the high side for having the amount of trouble they do. I up graded my RC to use the DJI Goggles but that  will not be happening now.
2017-8-14
Use props
mburness
New
United States

My RC will not charge after last firmware update for the P4.  Very frustrating, as no help coming from DJI and no further release/ fix for the issue.  Anyone else experiencing it?
2017-8-14
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

I almost lost/crashed a P4P due to really erratic behavior directly after the upgrade. It was quite an unsafe, scary, and embarrassing flight. I've experienced firmware wonkyness before, but nothing like that flight. There were height and distance restrictions incorrectly imposed, the camera was crooked and unusable, the aircraft was slow and inaccurately reacting to the RC, etc. The aircraft is grounded until there is a resolution to this because it would be irresponsible to put it back in the air. I am used to DJI's half baked products and just use them when they work, but it is annoying to say the least that this has not been addressed over a month later. Glad this is just a toy for me and not something I use for income often...
2017-8-14
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

mburness Posted at 2017-8-14 06:07
My RC will not charge after last firmware update for the P4.  Very frustrating, as no help coming from DJI and no further release/ fix for the issue.  Anyone else experiencing it?

Firmware update went badly for me in July. RC would not link to aircraft. Lights went all weird also. After all kinds of trouble shooting, ended up sending RC and aircraft back to DJI.  After 5 weeks they sent me back another RC and another Phantom 4. With the old firmware! And thats where it is staying until this thing gets sorted out.
2017-8-16
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

UPDATE OF A FEW POLL RESULTS:

It is so interesting to see how the numbers are working out.  As of this writing, there are 228 individuals who have voted in the poll.  Keeping in mind that the poll allows for multiple entries (since many of us are experiencing multiple issues) so there are many more than 228 entries in the poll.

So by simply taking the number of votes for a given item, and dividing it into the total number of people who voted, we get an accurate descriptions of the percentages for each issue.

Here are a couple of the top issues listed as percentage of people who are experiencing this particular problem (usually in addition to other problems):

-- Video Transmission issues: 42% of the voters are seeing this issue.
-- Bucking and Unstable Flight: 37%
-- Gimbal Issues (Gimbal randomly moves to left or right, or is generally unstable): 21%
-- Video Recording turns off randomly: 19%

Also of note, there are strong numbers reflecting the lucky ones who have had no problems and some have actually seen overall performance improvements:
-- No issues: 18%
-- Improved performance: 11%
I have no doubt that the percentage people who have NOT had problems in the real world is much higher (since they are less likely to visit the forums to report "all good").  But this does not change the fact that there are far too many of us who had our birds (or in my case, both of my birds) compromised by the latest software and firmware update.

Matt
2017-8-16
Use props
Snap-man
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8770 ft
South Africa

I also get incorrect altitude reading. Phantom 1m off the ground......App shows 8,6m
2017-8-16
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

I don't have a Phantom, but our Inspire 2 has been totally hosed with the latest batch of updates. I was in the Phantom forums hoping to find some enlightening information ... Only to find the same group of frustrated DJI owners. Bummer.
2017-8-17
Use props
rudyasho
lvl.3
Flight distance : 547320 ft
Indonesia

auto sync without mobile device  
2017-8-18
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-17 10:26
I don't have a Phantom, but our Inspire 2 has been totally hosed with the latest batch of updates. I was in the Phantom forums hoping to find some enlightening information ... Only to find the same group of frustrated DJI owners. Bummer.

That stinks... I didn't know that the Inspire got nailed too.  You have about three times more reason to be frustrated than any of us in the Phantom 4 forums.

2017-8-18
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Any more responses or does this poll now account for everyone?
2017-8-23
Use props
Johnny Mac 4
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I still get imu error messages every time I start my p4 I've tried calibrating the imu several times and even tried a reset but still get the same message and it seems to take longer to warm up since the firmware update even when I change a battery it takes ages for the error message to go before flying which has made me extremely weary of flying it gone from most days a week to once a week at the flying club
2017-8-23
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Johnny Mac 4 Posted at 2017-8-23 12:05
I still get imu error messages every time I start my p4 I've tried calibrating the imu several times and even tried a reset but still get the same message and it seems to take longer to warm up since the firmware update even when I change a battery it takes ages for the error message to go before flying which has made me extremely weary of flying it gone from most days a week to once a week at the flying club

Hi Johnny... although I am not 100% positive that this is still a thing, many of us still use "Cold Calibration" of the IMU.  Some of us will even put our drones in a large garbage bag and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so before we calibrate the IMU...  I can say with 100% confidence that a cold calibration speeds up the boot process where the IMU is warming up.  
The reason this works is that the temp of the IMU when calibrating becomes the benchmark for the IMU to consider itself to be warmed up at boot time.  So if you calibrate with a cold bird, the IMU warmup is a magnitude faster when you go to fly.... and every time you go to fly.

2017-8-23
Use props
Alan X
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1212221 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All - Since latest update I have been having a TON of video transmission problems on my P4P, even when it is only a few feet away or sat on the table in front of me. I get black and green banding on screen and the image sometimes totally disappears, glitches, stutters, freezes etc.

I took it to Drone Doctor for a repair but they found nothing wrong. I have messaged DJI - ho reply so far.

I took it for a flight yesterday and it is still faulty. I cannot fly SAFE. I am taking my PfCO Flight Test on 2017-09-07 and need to know I can control the aircraft and FLY SAFE otherwise I will fail the test.

I would really appreciate if ANYONE can please provide information and help me resolve this - it's a major problem.

Until recently this was never an issue and I am using the same set-up of P4P, DJI GO4 APP and iPad Mini 4. Drone Doctor reckon the latest DJI Go 4 update requires a minimum of an A9 chip, while the iPad mini 4 I bought specifically to fly the P4P only has an A8 chip. Does this mean I have to spend hundreds of pounds more on a new iPad so soon in order to be able to fly the thing?

COME ON DJI!

Thanks Regards - Alan
2017-8-24
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Alan X Posted at 2017-8-24 04:30
Hi All - Since latest update I have been having a TON of video transmission problems on my P4P, even when it is only a few feet away or sat on the table in front of me. I get black and green banding on screen and the image sometimes totally disappears, glitches, stutters, freezes etc.

I took it to Drone Doctor for a repair but they found nothing wrong. I have messaged DJI - ho reply so far.

Hi Alan,  Be sure to add your votes to the poll at the top of this thread.  As you will see in the poll numbers, this is the number one problem with the latest DJIGO4 update.  The video transmission issue knocked me out of the sky, until I bought Litchi.  The easiest fix is to buy Litchi and use it instead of DJIGO4.  It costs $23 on your app store and it works great.  This will at least get you flying until DJIGO4 is again updated.

Question... do you notice if your mobile device gets SUPER hot after a few minutes?
2017-8-24
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Here is a chart showing the percentages of issues reported to date.
Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 8.40.52 AM.png
2017-8-24
Use props
trevor3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1585568 ft
Jersey

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-24 04:50
Here is a chart showing the percentages of issues reported to date.

Still not feeling the love for this update, my P4 is still on 01.02.0602 might be staying that way for a while. My Mavic updated last night to the latest firmware no problem although it does take 20 - 30 minutes to complete run some flight tests all good....
2017-8-26
Use props
wormz30
lvl.2
Flight distance : 226460 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sadly, I have to report that my P4 after 4-5 short flights after the firmware update, lost control mid-flight and crashed into the street. Luckily, no one was harmed and no property was damaged. My p4 had been acting erratically  and rather wobbly immediately after the latest firmware update. I also noticed that I couldn't fly more than half a mile without it disconnecting and having to RTH. This last time (today) it flew about 2200 feet away and 364 ft up, lost connection, RTH. I was able to regain control of it about 700 ft from home point and brought it back in still at about 364 ft up. All of a sudden, i watched on my screen as the drone started tumbling in the sky, and then lost connection. I heard a loud crash and sure enough, it was in the street next to the curb. Please DJI. You got some explaining to do.
2017-8-26
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

wormz30 Posted at 2017-8-26 15:10
Sadly, I have to report that my P4 after 4-5 short flights after the firmware update, lost control mid-flight and crashed into the street. Luckily, no one was harmed and no property was damaged. My p4 had been acting erratically  and rather wobbly immediately after the latest firmware update. I also noticed that I couldn't fly more than half a mile without it disconnecting and having to RTH. This last time (today) it flew about 2200 feet away and 364 ft up, lost connection, RTH. I was able to regain control of it about 700 ft from home point and brought it back in still at about 364 ft up. All of a sudden, i watched on my screen as the drone started tumbling in the sky, and then lost connection. I heard a loud crash and sure enough, it was in the street next to the curb. Please DJI. You got some explaining to do.[view_image]
[view_image]

Hiya Wormz...  prepare to be given a hard time about the gimbal guard you have installed.  DJI has expressly stated that Gimbal Guards should not be installed since they can interfere with, or cause erroneous operations by the downward firing sensors.  It doesn't matter if you have successfully flown a hundred times with the gimbal installed.  
2017-8-27
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Update now that 259 people have posted to the POLL.
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 9.33.20 AM.png
2017-8-27
Use props
wormz30
lvl.2
Flight distance : 226460 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-27 05:26
Hiya Wormz...  prepare to be given a hard time about the gimbal guard you have installed.  DJI has expressly stated that Gimbal Guards should not be installed since they can interfere with, or cause erroneous operations by the downward firing sensors.  It doesn't matter if you have successfully flown a hundred times with the gimbal installed.

I know. I'm already planning on just getting a refurbished unit because:

a) my unit is already out of warranty
b) even replacing the damaged parts + labor is already going to be the same amount as getting a refurb unit
c) getting a refurb unit comes with an extra battery, so i'd have 3 batteries (YAY!)
d) getting a refurb unit will take far less time than waiting on DJI to repair and replace
e) the headache that comes with dealing with DJI's customer service is not worth it... againf) oh and if i wanted, i could possibly get a refurb mavic pro... i dunno. I kinda have a solid foundation with my P4 already, but the mavic is so convenient!
2017-8-27
Use props
fansaf43d4d7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66617 ft
Panama

I have been flying my refurb P4 for 3 days. I has been wonderful. This morning I got a message Aircraft Disconnedted on DJI go app. Cannot resolve.
2017-8-27
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66617 ft
Panama

fansaf43d4d7 Posted at 2017-8-27 10:34
I have been flying my refurb P4 for 3 days. I has been wonderful. This morning I got a message Aircraft Disconnedted on DJI go app. Cannot resolve.

Well that's actually not true. I can resolve and did.
my RC started beeping and it was annoying so I turned it off. Did that 3 times but the fourth time I left it alone and let it beep. Soon there was a beep boop. I rebooted everything and my aircraft was connected. Test flew it and everything is back to normal. I have v1.8.
2017-8-27
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

Reading about all these problems makes me glad I haven't updated my firmware in months.
2017-8-28
Use props
fansb0be339c
New
Canada

Up dated tablet I was using a inexpensive android had a few issues, losing connection&video, bars on videos etc.. Purchased a apple ipad downloaded DJI GO updated controller the phantom 4 1 battery the others for some reason did not need to be, all updates using the ipad. Have had no issues (yet). It dose take a little time to warm up the IMU. Flight distance 1.5 km up 300 m, hovered well in 17 km wind. Hopefully I can find time to put it to the full test this weekend heading to the mountains.
2017-8-28
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Video transmission problems keep leading the pack, trending upward toward 50%
Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 10.59.34 AM.png
2017-8-29
Use props
fans6886a40e
New
United States

I now have two completely useless phantom 4 pro drones. One I unboxed yesterday and I get the same error message when trying to use dji software to calibrate and update. I'm loosing business over this. I don't sell photos but I use the drone shots in my real estate advertisements. Ive been grounded for months.
2017-9-7
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans6886a40e Posted at 2017-9-7 07:38
I now have two completely useless phantom 4 pro drones. One I unboxed yesterday and I get the same error message when trying to use dji software to calibrate and update. I'm loosing business over this. I don't sell photos but I use the drone shots in my real estate advertisements. Ive been grounded for months.

Hi Fans... I'm in the same boat.  Did you add your info to the poll on page one of this thread?
2017-9-7
Use props
fans6886a40e
New
United States

I have two drones I can not fly. Both are phantom 4 pros. One is a year old one is 2 days old. I can't even update the software or calibrate. I'm crying tears of frustration. I've been using drones for 5 years. I was very happy a year ago when I upgraded to dji and I have recommended many people "dont' waste their time with other brands" Now I'm regretting any thing positive I ever said about the company. I can't even find a phone number to call. Now I am going to have to pay a 15% restocking fee at best buy.  Anyone want a 1  year old used phantom 4 pro? I'm in New York state. Totally useless to me since DJI software no longer works.
2017-9-7
Use props
nd34567890
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481939 ft
United States

Thechadmeister Posted at 2017-8-4 08:36
Thanks for the response, but I ended up calling DJI and it was that I didn't update firmware on controller, I just did the drone. It's working great now.

@Thechadmeister Is this still true (being stable)?  How do you force update just the controller?
2017-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules