Flight Radar Function on DJI Vision App Off
4692 25 2015-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I recently received a 10" Asus tablet running Android 4.4.2. It is a cheap Tablet but it was free and runs all my Phantom apps great except for 1 thing. The Phantoms direction on the Radar in the Vision app is wrong. Its is ok on my LG G3 phone so I know its not a problem with the Phantom but something with the tablet.

Phantom Vision Plus v3.0  MCv-3.12
Tablet app is DJI Vision .apk 1.0.54
Phone app from Google Playstore

I found a video of this problem on youtube here

Here is a screenshot from the Tablet

Here is a screenshot from my phone in the same spot as the tablet

I downloaded a compass app and it looks like the compass is off on the tablet?

Tablet Compass App

Phone Compass App

Anyone know what the problem could be ? Is there a way to fix the compass on the Tablet ?
2015-3-25
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

maybe that icon is showing direction phantom is "heading"  not a compass as per north/south/east/west compass
2015-3-25
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-3-26 08:27
maybe that icon is showing direction phantom is "heading"  not a compass as per north/south/east/wes ...

Thanks for the reply. When I am flying the phantom travels in a different direction the what the tablet is saying. It looks like the tablets compass is off and I wondering is there a way to fix it ?
2015-3-25
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I downloaded a app to fix the compass and now the compass app works and shows the same info as my phone but the Vision app is still off.
2015-3-25
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you try restarting your tablet after calibrating the compass?
2015-3-25
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I just tested Kenargo's app DJI Ultimate Flight and it is working fine on the tablet so I guess it's the fact that DJI's app is not compatible. (Like it says on the play store.
2015-3-25
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-3-26 09:05

Yes, I may just use ken's app or get a new tablet. I'm sort of getting tablet fever now...
2015-3-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-3-26 09:42
Yes, I may just use ken's app or get a new tablet. I'm sort of getting tablet fever now...

Any chance the app/tablet cannot distinguish between portrait or landscape mode?
2015-3-25
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-26 10:26
Any chance the app/tablet cannot distinguish between portrait or landscape mode?

I noticed when I enter Accelerometer Sensor Mode with the DJI app I have to tilt the tablet left and right to get the camera to go up and down instead of tilting the tablet forward and back. So I was thinking the same thing.
2015-3-25
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I went and picked up a LG 10.1" tablet to replace the Asus but this one has the same problem.

Does anyone use a 10 inch android tablet that will run the DJI Vision app properly?
I have a tripod, mount and hood for a 10 inch tablet so I really want to find one that works well.
2015-3-26
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-3-27 08:25
I went and picked up a LG 10.1" tablet to replace the Asus but this one has the same problem.

Does  ...

Stocks,
I have a cheapie DOPO (Chinese) 10.1" Android tablet that has 4.4.2 KitKat as its operating system.
When I run the Vision App with this tablet the radar function does not show the correct nose "facing" of the Phantom...just like you documented.
In my case, the tablet does not have an internal compass function so I just assumed that any APP that requires compass calibration will not function with my tablet although everything else works with the Vision app according to spec.
Rick
2015-3-26
Use props
SJAP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's because your tablets do not have gps function within the tablet itself and your not connected to 3or 4g cell provider. I have the same issue with my kindle but when I use my s4 cell the radar function works.
2015-3-26
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

SJAP Posted at 2015-3-27 12:31
It's because your tablets do not have gps function within the tablet itself and your not connected t ...

What about the 10 inch apple tablets, would they work?
2015-3-26
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Sjap. It says on both the Asus and the LG tablets that they do have GPS. I can also can turn it on and off in the settings. Also google maps show my location and the little GPS icon shows up at the top of the screen. Also if you look at the pics above it shows my GPS crod on both the tablet and phone. Also 3rd party apps like DJI Ultimate Flight  work. Unless there is somthing i dont know, i think the do have GPS built in.

Gerry. I wanted a Android just cause i dont have anything apple but I will get one if the radar works right. I know you have said before but what modle do you have and ios ver. ?

The reason it so important to me it becuase my controller is directional and when im 2 miles away it helps me to keep pointing the controller in the right direction.

Also, i have not tested this flying yet but sitting in the house it looks like my sons old 8" Android 4.0 tab is working fine. At lest the nose is pointed in the right direction.
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-3-27 19:15
Sjap. It says on both the Asus and the LG tablets that they do have GPS. I can also can turn it on a ...

Apple iPad 2 32GB, Wi-Fi + 3G (AT&T), 9.7in - Black (MC774LL/A)    Generation 2 now is upgradeable to 8.2 ios
2015-3-27
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Thank you Gerry. Do you have it activated with AT&T or is it deactivated and still works fine ?
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-3-27 20:19
Thank you Gerry. Do you have it activated with AT&T or is it deactivated and still works fine ?

I don't have any service with either one.  No sim card.  When I need to do any upgrades, I use the Bluetooth and connect to my home wireless network through the router, or you could go to any place that has wireless.
2015-3-27
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Thank you for your info Gerry. Shopping now
2015-3-27
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Update: I got a Ipad Air today and it works perfect.
2015-3-29
Use props
Eraser339
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25502 ft
Australia

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-3-26 09:05

I have the same problem. The quad knows which way it is pointing. It uses a yaw value. The problem is the electronics or metal in the remote control interferes with the compass in your tablet. I wave my RC around in a figure 8 while attached to the RC to recalibrate my tablet compass. This helps sometimes. Also my lanard has a metal clip which does not help.
2015-5-9
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Israel

I have the same problem too
Unfortunately I use a tablet Samsung S10 and it´s not compatible with DJI GO, them the radar does not work properly, I already calibrated the compass, but it did not work
2016-4-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Murilo Carmello Posted at 2016-4-7 22:03
I have the same problem too
Unfortunately I use a tablet Samsung S10 and it´s not compatible with D ...

As stated earlier, try an ipad if you can just to see, it will probably work as it should as stated in earlier threads.
2016-4-10
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-4-10 23:43
As stated earlier, try an ipad if you can just to see, it will probably work as it should as state ...

On my Samsung S7 phone everything works fine:  in the "unlocked map view mode" the heading of the radar drone symbol and the orientation of the phone mounted to the RC are identical.
BUT: with my Sony Xperia Z4 tablet there is  a 90 degrees orientation mismatch between the drone heading and the tablet's orientation.
This fault indeed seems to be a related to the misinterpretation of landscape (Android tablet) and portrait (Android phone) display mode by the DJI pilot app. The result: the Google map (including the red arrow drone symbol) is always turned by 90 degrees to the left (counter clockwise) when using an Android tablet.
I notice that the DJI pilot app on my Samsung S7 starts in a fixed portrait mode (aircraft selection page) and than switches (by rotating right=clockwise) to a fixed landscape mode automatically.
Is it possible that a suppressed clockwise display rotation on Android tablets leads to the map view being completely locked in a "virtual" portrait mode?
I really searched many threads for an answer: most stop without a solution or they say that an iPad is the only help...
Is there a solution for Android tablets?

2016-4-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-4-26 09:19
On my Samsung S7 phone everything works fine:  in the "unlocked map view mode" the heading of the r ...

"Is there a solution for Android tablets?
"
It's not a problem for most Android tablets.
I use two and both are fine.
2016-4-25
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-26 08:05
"Is there a solution for Android tablets?
"
It's not a problem for most Android tablets.

Which brand(s) do you have?
2016-4-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-4-26 10:22
Which brand(s) do you have?

Most are fine.
I've used the Nexus 7 (2013) and Nvidia Shield and never seen that problem.
Not sure if it's the tablet itself or something in the settings.
2016-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules