Phantom 2 sudden fall to ground from mid air. Sloppy DJI service
1412 4 2015-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anshul
New

China

I was flying my Phantom 2 in an open football field in Shanghai 2 days after I had bought it. The battery remaining was about 40%. Suddenly, the Phantom came crashing to the ground in the middle of the field. The shell suffered some damage near the end of one of the motors and I was scared to fly it again. I asked support@dji.com and from the Customer Usage Questionnaire that they asked me to fill up, they said they couldnt find any fault on my part and that I should send it to them for inspection. I had followed the proper procedure and the Phantom had been flying perfectly well. There was no wind. I paid the postage charges and I sent it to their service centre at Shenzhen in China. I had used my friend's address and phone number to purchase the drone. She got a call from support and was told that the battery is okay and they wouoldnt be testing it but it would be risky to fly it beyond a certain height. Later, she got another call informing her that the shell and GPS are damaged and that they would need to be replaced. I would have to pay about RMB 500 for that. I sent an email to support and also called them asking them to call me at my number but they didnt understand a lot of English and they kept on calling my friend. Also, they said that they havent tested my product yet and that they would get back to me soon. I find it difficult to explain to them the issue in English and they keep speaking in Chinese. I would have expected an international and reputed brand such as DJI to recruit technical support employees who're not just fluent in Chinese but also in English.
I am not expecting DJI to do me a favour because i'm a student and this drone was my 5 years' savings but I at least expect some sort of assistance when the drone crashed due to no fault of mine. They dont even tell me the cause of the crash. My drone was 2 days old and its covered by warranty as I dont fall into any of the categories that exclude warranty. I dont understand whats going on at the service centre and why they're unable to give me a straight answer and call on my number, forget about cost issues. How difficult is that for them to call me instead of the number I used for purchase? When i sent the drone back for repair, I had used my number and my details as the sender. I hope DJI lives up to its name and does the needful to repair my drone and replace damaged parts. The crash would have been the result of a technical glitch.. Thats the only explanation.

The good or maybe the bad thing is that i dont have the video as i hadnt attached the ginbal and my gopro to fly it without any payload. I'm glad my camera is safe.

2015-4-3
Use props
DJI-冬瑞
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Hi Sir,

Per the conversation on the phone ,my colleague has noted all the detail of this case.

We will keep you informed of any updates.

Have a nice weekend !
2015-4-3
Use props
Anshul
New

Hong Kong

I spoke to DJI executives and they were ready to offer me a 50% discount which is very kind of them. I appreciate it. But then I got this email. I don't know what to make of it. The repair cost they said was about RMB 450. I don't understand how it got converted to 250 USD.
Please look into it.

Thanks for your understanding.
Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 3.14.35 pm.png
2015-4-6
Use props
Jackvg
lvl.2

Netherlands

I have read a lot about the same type of problems, as maybe many of you did. As well from new pilots, as from professional pilots. Okay, a problem can happen, and yes, maybe this technology is sensitive for interference, but not this often!!
Also the service of DJI is very very bad. I bought a new phantom2 had about 7 flights with it, then the plastic started to break, even when not flying it got worse. I send it to the dealer, and we are both waiting for weeks now to even get a response from dji about this. I would like to be able to fly this summer
2015-4-7
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

This should not have happened with such a light (no) payload....in a normal case, I would say it's foolish to fly with a battery at 40%. Many Phantom pilots have learned the hard way that they should be thinking about landing when the battery is below 50% and on the ground at 40%.

But this is usually due to much heavier payloads - which stress the machine...

This certainly sounds like a power failure of some kind.
2015-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules