12Next >
12248 56 2015-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

A few members have posted asking for a tutorial on my post work-flow when dealing with Inspire 1 footage. In this tutorial, I chose to use Final Cut Pro-X to detail my workflow from start to finish when working soley in this program from Off-Load > Import > Basic Program Functions > Basic Editing/Cutting > Basic Color Correction > Basic Color Grades.
I typically will use FCP + Davinci Resolve for color grading, however I feel for those just beginning video editing, that dealing with FCP only in this tutorial is a better way to start.

Note: this is not a technical tutorial. I am not a technical guy =) --- I like to think of myself as more of an artist. WHile I use histograms and scopes in my color correction, I idealy go for what gives me the "look" im going for. I also wanted this to be in the most simple of terms for those of you who have NEVER done any photo or video editing in their life.

Take what you can and ask away with your questions. As I've said before, I'm not expert but I wish I had someone willing to help me or at least point me in the right direction when I was so eager to learn. Most people didn't have the time or would only give me bits and pieces of info that I ulitmatley had to research myself. While the best way to learn is by doing, asking questions helps build a strong foundation.

I'm here to help!

Not needed but useful tools for color grading your Inspire footage:
LUT Utility/Loader from Color Grading Central
DJI Inspire 1 LUTs From Neumannfilms

-Scott

2015-4-13
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Watching Tutorial now. Thanks for the LUT Links! I have been using http://filmconvert.com and Mlut:  http://www.motionvfx.com/mplugs-68.html Have not had time to research other LUTs so I am excited to give these new ones a try. Thanks for taking the time!
2015-4-13
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

Thank you Scooter!!!!
2015-4-13
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

Excellent!  Thank you Scott.

-Mike
2015-4-13
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Scott, again thank you. You made a comment about the vignette not being soft enough... have you tried dragging the outside line out to make the feather larger?
2015-4-13
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-4-14 11:04
Scott, again thank you. You made a comment about the vignette not being soft enough... have you trie ...

Yes - However I still find it doesn't feather as well as I like it. Resolve is MUCH softer.
Mark shoot me an e-mail: info@scottlamoreaux.com - I have a question for you.
2015-4-13
Use props
thedixons
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4268 ft
New Zealand

Thanks Scott, excellent tutorial. Would just like to say thanks to yourself, Jim Hare and all the others for sharing your knowledge and skills.
2015-4-14
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Thank you so much for your tutorial - Greate

I have one question

When importing media files to FCP X - you get a option to create optimized and/or proxy media. I do not use them - do you ?

regards
2015-4-14
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

thedixons@actri Posted at 2015-4-14 16:01
Thanks Scott, excellent tutorial. Would just like to say thanks to yourself, Jim Hare and all the ot ...

Of course =)
2015-4-14
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-14 19:23
Thank you so much for your tutorial - Greate

I have one question

With Inspire Clips, I do not. I have a fast 27" iMac 5K fully maxed out and run my source media via external thunderbolt drive. Even on my Macbook Pro 15" Retina they run smooth as butter.

The only time you need to create proxy media is when you have an older computer that cannot handle editing native 4K files. Either way it doesn't hurt to make Proxies.

More info here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH1 ... SA&locale=en_SA
2015-4-14
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

scooterlam Posted at 2015-4-14 23:38
With Inspire Clips, I do not. I have a fast 27" iMac 5K fully maxed out and run my source media vi ...

Hi Scott,

In FCPX when importing, would you check optimize and create proxies?
I have a mid 2010 iMac and it is so slow editing the footage in the program.  Rendering the export (master file) is super fast, leaving me perplexed...  I have upgraded my RAM to max, which I thought might make a difference but I am fairly computer illiterate.
I am trying to save up for the new macbook pro.  Is there an early version that might work?  I know I would be forgoing the retina display, but I believe I can live without that as I would just like to be able to edit faster.
BTW, this tutorial and ALL of your ongoing input on this forum is amazing.  I appreciate all your support and for taking the time to reply (very in-depth) to all of the questions members of this forum pose.
Your work is very inspirational and I hope to be able to accomplish half of what you compose.  Practice, practice, practice and love to fly!

Peter
2015-4-14
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

With Inspire Clips, I do not. I have a fast 27" iMac 5K fully maxed out and run my source media vi ...

Thanks - I understand
2015-4-14
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-14 23:49
Hi Scott,

In FCPX when importing, would you check optimize and create proxies?

Hey Peter - you shouldn't have to create proxies as long as you're editing without making ANY adjustments first. Leave all color corrections, grading, effects, transitions to LAST.

RAM doesn't really help speed up editing work flow but allows for better multi-tasking between different programs Ive found. I have 16gb in my Macbook Pro and 32GB in my iMac. I don't notice a HUGE difference in editing speed. What I do notice is the speed of playback and this is due to a better graphics card in my iMac and a faster processor.

I would recommend creating the proxies and see how it works for you upon initial import.
You then will need to toggle to editing via the proxy media by clicking the little carrot in the upper right hand side of the viewer window and selecting "proxy" under media. Just be sure to switch back to optimized original before your final export. Additionally, switch the quality to "better performance" if it isn't on there already. This will lower the quality of playback but speed things up quite a bit.

Good luck
2015-4-14
Use props
stephenbrink62
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380522 ft
South Africa

scooterlam Posted at 2015-4-15 03:02
Hey Peter - you shouldn't have to create proxies as long as you're editing without making ANY adju ...

Hey Scooter....I'll defo give this ago as I am having problems with wondershare editor, I noticed that once I covert after my adjustments, I get a shudder in the footage as appose to a smooth original & cant figure out way......
2015-4-15
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

stephenbrink62@ Posted at 2015-4-15 21:49
Hey Scooter....I'll defo give this ago as I am having problems with wondershare editor, I noticed  ...

hmm not sure what you mean...are you talking about playback within the editor or once you render it out for final project?
2015-4-15
Use props
stephenbrink62
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380522 ft
South Africa

scooterlam Posted at 2015-4-16 00:43
hmm not sure what you mean...are you talking about playback within the editor or once you render i ...

Hey Scooter......once ive rendered it with colour, the play back is fine...its once I save the project to a folder...and then play it back, it gives me the shudder...like very quick stop start's......
2015-4-15
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

stephenbrink62@ Posted at 2015-4-16 01:49
Hey Scooter......once ive rendered it with colour, the play back is fine...its once I save the pro ...

Something is funky in your render settings. I'm not familiar with that program so I'm not sure what the issue is completely. Sorry. If you have FCP/Premier questions I can help.
2015-4-15
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

Hey Scott,

Is is fairly simple to import the LUTS into FCPX?
Is it the same as importing a pre-set?
Cheers,

Peter
2015-4-16
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

Darn, just noticed that I also need to purchase a plug-in?
2015-4-16
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

If I don't plan on complicating things with back and forth edits between FCPX and DaVinci, would FCPX with the Inspire LUTS do a good enough job?
2015-4-16
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

Sorry, should have just asked ALL questions in one thread...
I see that the plug in includes some BONUS LUTS.  Are any of these useful for Inspire LOG footage or would you still recommend Newmans as well?
2 Strip
3 Strip
Alexa LogC to Rec709
Blackmagic Film to Rec709
Canon CLog to Rec709
Cinestyle S Curve
Fuji 3513 – LOG
Fuji 3513 – Rec709
Kodak 2393 – LOG
Kodak 2393 – Rec709
Sony SLog2 to Rec709
2015-4-16
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-17 03:08
Sorry, should have just asked ALL questions in one thread...
I see that the plug in includes some BO ...

Loading LUTS is easy depending on which LUT loader you purchase. Its just making sure the .cube files are in the correct folder and that you have the LUT plugin installed.

Keep those LUTS that it came with. Some of them I like in small doses. The neumannfilms ones are great, and I'm sure they love the free advertising I'm giving them =) ---

Best advice, learn to grade without LUTS then learn how they can benefit your workflow.
2015-4-18
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Scott,

I have just downloaded the free LUT Loader from PixelMovies but can't seem to find it anywhere in FCP.  After the downoad and installation, got a successful message but the LUT not visible in effects.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Also do I need to download the REC709 Lut from somewhere or should this be available in FCP.

Would appreciate your help or if you can direct me.  Bit of a novice with FCP.
2015-4-19
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

Hey scooter,

It looks like I might be moving towards purchasing either  MAC book pro or an iMac, I am looking to invest $2000-$3000.  With your experience, what do you find works best?  What should I stay away from.  I have always used pc's, the only apple experience I have is with my iphone.

Thx in advance for any help you might have
2015-4-19
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2015-4-20 09:29
Hey scooter,

It looks like I might be moving towards purchasing either  MAC book pro or an iMac,  ...

Depends on your workflow. Do you like to be mobile or would you prefer the larger screen and higher resolution?

I have both a 15" macbook pro retina and an iMac but if i were in your shoes I would do a 15" MacBook Pro to stay mobile and then add the Samsung 27" 4K (UHD) Monitor for $400 extra to compliment so you can have the extra workspace when at home. I'd suggest an apple display but the thunderbolt display is old technology IMO.
2015-4-20
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-19 21:14
Scott,

I have just downloaded the free LUT Loader from PixelMovies but can't seem to find it anywhe ...

No-brainer but did you try restarting the program? It should be categorized under the effects tab and under PixelFilmStudios on the left hand pane.
2015-4-20
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-4-20 23:06
No-brainer but did you try restarting the program? It should be categorized under the effects tab  ...

Scott,

I done the install which returned successful, but it is not displayed in the FCP under the effects tab. I have other PixelMovies templates which I can see but not the LUT Loader.  Tried closing and re-opening FCP numerous times, still not there.
2015-4-20
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

scooterlam Posted at 2015-4-20 23:05
Depends on your workflow. Do you like to be mobile or would you prefer the larger screen and highe ...

Scooter thanks for your option!  One last quick question, I am in the thinking of the mobile option, do you know if apple make a docking station?
2015-4-20
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-4-20 23:06
No-brainer but did you try restarting the program? It should be categorized under the effects tab  ...

Scooter,

Seems like I downloaded a Motion 5 Out Loader by mistake.  All sorted now.

Are these Luts like the Rec709 available anywhere free ?
2015-4-20
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-21 02:01
Scooter,

Seems like I downloaded a Motion 5 Out Loader by mistake.  All sorted now.

I tried this last night.  Also using it loader from Pix.
I managed to get it into FCPX under effects but I get some red baxes and a yellow yield sign when I try to put it onto footage.
Now, I have not purchase or downloading any luts yet, so perhaps this is the reason.  It's just the loader and does not recognize anything as i don't have any luts.  Does that sound correct?
2015-4-20
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-21 02:05
I tried this last night.  Also using it loader from Pix.
I managed to get it into FCPX under effec ...

Also, the only folder I could see the put into effects was from motion 5.  Is there another file GB44 that you found to put into FCPX after downloading the loader?
2015-4-20
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-21 02:06
Also, the only folder I could see the put into effects was from motion 5.  Is there another file G ...

I downloaded the wrong file for Final Cut Pro.  I got the InMotion 5 download by mistake.

But no worries went back into their website today and they still have the Lut Loader for Final Cut Pro still free.  Downloaded this, installed it using the two files (must install the two files) and it works.  It now appears in Final Cut Pro.  There seems to be a sample Lut with it, so tried this out, adjusted the colour grading and it made a huge difference in the vibrant green grass etc on a sample video.  The only thing  have noticed is that the sea water off the coast now looks so greyed out t looks like fog.

I think I need to get some free Luts from somewhere and experiment, but I am only after some basic Luts to increase the overall colours so wouldn't quite know what to look for.  I have seen on some Youtube videos that Rec709 seems to be a good starting point.
2015-4-20
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-21 03:47
I downloaded the wrong file for Final Cut Pro.  I got the InMotion 5 download by mistake.

But no  ...

So, I/we downloaded the wrong FCPX lut loader?  Would you mind attaching the link for the correct one?
2015-4-20
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-21 03:47

But no  ...

I have tried most of the LUTs from Pixel Film... there are a few nice ones but most are pretty similar... The MLUTs are pretty nice and do an overall nice job of the inspire footage.. it's $50 but it comes with a nice loader with a great reference system for choosing LUTs... After trying several different loaders and LUT packages it is still my favorite.
2015-4-20
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-21 04:37
So, I/we downloaded the wrong FCPX lut loader?  Would you mind attaching the link for the correct  ...

Here is the link to the free Lut Loader from PixelFilm Studios.

http://store.pixelfilmstudios.com/plugin/fcpx-lut-loader

I don't know how long it will remain free though so if you want it I would download it soon as possible.

This link is for Final Cut Pro
2015-4-20
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-21 15:40
Here is the link to the free Out Loader from PixelFilm Studios.

http://store.pixelfilmstudios.com ...

That's great, thanks for the link!

2015-4-21
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thought you guys may also be interested in this little find:

http://adamteale.com/apps/fcpximageexporter/

It allows you to extract multiple still images all at the same time from FCP video clip.
2015-4-21
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It appears the negative sharpness settings have been tweaked. I just did a test at -1 sharpness and it is actually pretty nice and very useable compared to before. Going out now to do more tests. Can either of you (Jim Or Scott) confirm this?
2015-4-21
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-4-22 03:33
It appears the negative sharpness settings have been tweaked. I just did a test at -1 sharpness and  ...

Can't wait to test...Still birdless with no update from DJI of repair status....otherwise I would. This is great news though if it looks softer and can be brought up to taste in post.

The before was WAY too sharp as I mentioned before.
2015-4-21
Use props
monica66
lvl.2

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-4-22 09:23
Can't wait to test...Still birdless with no update from DJI of repair status....otherwise I would. ...

Actually, H.264 encoded MP4 or MOV file format from DJI Inspire 1 is beyond the compatibility of FCP, Adobe Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer. What's more, handling 4K files in FCP/Premiere/Avid is usually hardware intensive. What's more, the older version NLEs like Final Cut Pro 6/7, Premiere Pro CS4/CS5 are not able to support 4K video. Thus, you can't get a flawless 4K workflow in most cases. To solve the problem, you need to convert DJI Inspire 1 4K H.264 files to FCP, Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer most compatible format with proper video settings(1080p is recommended).
2015-6-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules