Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
(Another) Lesson Learned
6517 16 2015-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

I was somewhat apprehensive but did it anyway. Had a message on the new firmware (which I really like so far) that one of my batteries needed to be cycled. It was nearly full and I didn't want to fly it because the wind had kicked up. So I decided to run it down on the copter indoors. Here comes the "not so smart" part. Since it was running down slowly with just the copter turned on (and I had used it to charge my controller already), I decided to idle the props (with them on, I was afraid freewheeling the motors would not be good...do you see where this is going).  It was doing fine and I was walking around the room doing some other things, but keeping an eye on it. At around 35%, the props spooled up and it began a take-off.  That was exciting!  It was on carpet and began to drift foward where I had put a chair to retard its escape in case this actually happened (see, somewhere in my brain I knew this could happen). It was having at my chair and tearing up two props when I got to the battery and shut it down (I had decide going to the controller was going to take too much time and end up in the same outcome anyway and it was trapped on the chair with 2 blades gone and couldn't harm me).

So, lesson learned, don't leave the props on when idleing indoors running the batteries down!

On a good note. This morning, before the winds kicked in, I got a chance to run the bird on the new firmware. The installation had been perfect. Two batteries required updating. That wasn't any problem.  The bird flew perfectly. No compass error (which I had been having on every flight), no dropped signal or video. Automatic landing gear transition on take-off.  Was a bit jumpy trying to hold position in the wind (I hadn't dailed in the sensor gain changes that Lynn Phan had suggested, I've done that now and will see how that it on next flight). All in all, I was very happy witht the new firmware.

2015-4-15
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

Could you please share those sensor gain changes that Lynn Phan suggested.
2015-4-15
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

This is what Lynn suggested in a thread on Facebook.
IMG_0490.jpg
2015-4-15
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Exiting I'll bet , to funny I've done just the same with my phantoms but never had one go off ! Looking for home and going for the rth altitude ...oh my funny .. I do run my battery's down this way indoors once in a while but towards the low side I operate the throttle a little bit so it drops its charge faster .
2015-4-15
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

The love the new sensitivity % sliders , real nice feature .
2015-4-15
Use props
REDBARON
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2456043 ft
Canada

The breaking and gain features are a real fine add!! Set mine to similar settings and notice a much better craft  responsiveness  ( for my needs ) .
2015-4-15
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.3

United States

OMG! You lived my worse nightmare!  I took my props off just for that reason but mine never spooled up.  

Glad to hear it was only two props.   Not sure what your chair looks likes and I hope you can hide it from the wife!
2015-4-15
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

Quick question regarding the update, I was able to update my new I1 with out any issues, how do you go about updating the batteries?  Will they auto update once installed into the I1?
2015-4-15
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

When you insert the battery, if it needs updating, and you've left the firmware update on your card, the battery will be updated when you turn it out. You just have to wait a minute or so while it goes through the same beeping ritual you heard when the Inspire updated.  Only one of my batteries required updating. Not sure why, but...

It's easy.
2015-4-15
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

daver/m Posted at 2015-4-16 04:28
The love the new sensitivity % sliders , real nice feature .

Is the attitude, brake sliders available for IOS?
I am not at home to check, just curious.
2015-4-16
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

This would have been a great video to see! Glad noone was hurt.
2015-4-16
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Great story dude, got me chuckling there. Glad there wasn't too much damage.
2015-4-17
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

probably not good for the motors to run without the props . . . .  any other solutions to run batteries down?
2015-4-17
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

Acidsnow Posted at 2015-4-18 00:38
probably not good for the motors to run without the props . . . .  any other solutions to run batter ...

Plug your battery into the controller to run down.
2015-4-17
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

jonathanp Posted at 2015-4-18 00:58
Plug your battery into the controller to run down.

this would only use up a fraction of it . . .
2015-4-17
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

That's what I did jonathanp. I thought it was a good use of the power in the battery.  Unfortunately Acidsnow is right. It used very little of the battery. That led me to my "event"!
2015-4-17
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-17 02:54
Is the attitude, brake sliders available for IOS?
I am not at home to check, just curious.

Sure is, I changed it last night, works great!   Now, instead of violent braking which makes me think the Inspire is about to fall from the sky, it brakes quite smoothly over a few meters if I was moving at full speed.
2015-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules