UPDATE-01: Wow!!! Best day of flying since I got this thing!
12Next >
3864 69 2015-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

EDIT: Here's two of my latest four. Just added "First Look At Lake" (Will try to add future ones to this post)

River Canyon Run:
She Ran Out Of Road:  
The Dells:  
First Look At Lake (Really Short):  

Perfect day today. Wind 1-5mph all day, sunny at times a little overcast at others. Tee shirt weather for sure. Flew through 16 batteries! The most I've ever done in a single day. First day with hardly an issue too. Mostly used the iPad Mini and the DJI Vision app. Had a few issues trying to use the 640x480 15fps setting. Just wouldn't stay on, kept locking up. Decided early on to switch to 320x240 15fps and never had an issue after. Today was road trip day. I have a Ford C-Max, it's a hybrid with a 120v socket in it. I wanted to see if I could get out, fly, charge and fly some more. Picked up a dual outlet surge suppressor with 4 usb ports on it from Amazon. Worked great. Left the car on most of the time otherwise the outlet doesn't work. 95 percent of the time the engine didn't even run. It kicked on a few times throughout the day I guess to charge it's own batteries. Was able to keep charging batteries with my 3-point charger, topped off the extender and transmitter a few times and flew through the entire day. Just came in when I started this note. One of my (two) friends rode up on his bike and we jumped in the car. Went down to a couple of different spots on the Big Sioux River and just flew and flew and flew some more. Got a lot of ATTI practice as well. the first time I've really actually "flown" in ATTI (was too scared), takeoffs, landings and flying. Practiced flying between some evergreens in my yard when I got home. Just a great day of flying! Haven't looked at any of the video yet but some of it should be decent. Tried to deploy the AutoPilot app this morning but ran into registration and map caching issues so I gave it up. I should have spent some more time setting it up properly before deciding to fly with it. Spur of the moment decision to give it a try but I wasn't going to waste this beautiful day screwing around with things. Next project will be figuring out how I'm going to take this thing on the road with my motorcycle. Have neglected the Wife so I'm going to hang with her for a while now. I can't sign off without thanking everyone on here who has helped me learn how to maintain, rebuild and fly this thing. Thank you!

Jerry
2015-4-16
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

SWEET!!!!  Re motorcycle.....backpack.   check out my pics on this thread... Click here   I have a backpack FULL of stuff and is super easy for "on the go" travel.
2015-4-16
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Jerry,
Sounds great man! No flying down south, thunderstorms and rain all evening. Really wanted to get home and fly before hell broke loose. Would of been a good video...plenty of lightning, dark clouds, but calm winds.....then winds and the rain came..damn.
2015-4-16
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Jerry,
Fantastic!  So glad you got to fly today to such an extent.  It was nice here, but I had to work.  Sounds like you had a fantastic day and one for the books.  Can't wait to see some video.  Even better, you flew with a friend.  Again, glad your day was so successful!

Chris
2015-4-16
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-4-16
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

This thread is useless without pics!  ;-)
2015-4-17
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

16 batteries??????   INCREDIBLE!  Your battery hoard is worth more than your Phantom!
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

kjkisatsky Posted at 2015-4-17 21:04
16 batteries??????   INCREDIBLE!  Your battery hoard is worth more than your Phantom!

I think he has 4 batteries and just recharged each of them 4 times.
2015-4-17
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

Ahhh, that makes sense.  Only 500 bucks of batteries!
2015-4-17
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

I recharged one of mine while on my boat on Sunday. Had to keep the engine running to charge. Same with my vehicle. I only have 2 batteries, but I plan on getting more. After I charged the battery I did a awesome regular flight up to and over the Dam from this cove and came back and landed on the sink counter top where I took off from as you see in the pic. Then found out I forgot to video it.... Kinda pissed off over that.
2015-4-17
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

Pic shows me charging battery.
2015-04-12 13.11.23.jpg
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-4-17 10:25
SWEET!!!!  Re motorcycle.....backpack.   check out my pics on this thread... Click here   I have a b ...

Bahama,

I saw your set-up in the other thread, great job! I've also got a backpack set-up as the idea has always been to figure out a way to pack on the bike. Not the bike in my avatar, I have a different touring bike for it. The problem is going to be the recharging.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-17 10:26
Jerry,
Sounds great man! No flying down south, thunderstorms and rain all evening. Really wanted to  ...

Ray,

Couldn't have prayed for a better day! Hope you get a good one soon too. Hey on a side note, I saw all of the banter on another thread that you were posting on about the "other" new bird. Looks like you've been doing a lot of research. I don't want to backtrack or waste time doing some of the legwork that you've obviously already done. We're friends, right? Yes or no, my money is in your pocket, is that my next bird? If so, I'll start digging. If not, I probably won't waste much time on it just yet. Your honest answer would be greatly appreciated and I'll owe you one!

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Axeman Posted at 2015-4-17 10:51
Glad you one of those super good days when you have the Midas Touch.
Nothing like these lil birds wh ...

Axe and Chris,

Thanks for the notes. I always feel like I want to respond to every post individually. Even if it's just to acknowledge your thoughts. Thanks again!

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

adrianjacobs@nt Posted at 2015-4-17 17:40
This thread is useless without pics!  ;-)

Adrian,

I put two quick and dumb pics in the beginning of my "practice" video just for you. I'll hopefully have some better stuff later after I've had a chance to edit some of the stuff I got yesterday. The practice vid should be up in a little bit.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

kjkisatsky Posted at 2015-4-17 21:04

Kjkis,

Nrgwise already gave you the answer. The big deal was being able to recharge the 4 with the car so I could keep flying.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-18 00:24
Adrian,

I put two quick and dumb pics in the beginning of my "practice" video just for you. I'll  ...

We're all looking forward to it with GREAT anticipation!
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-18 00:19
Ray,

Couldn't have prayed for a better day! Hope you get a good one soon too. Hey on a side note, ...

Jerry,
I'm just showing the alternative. I think the market is really going to start opening up. That other product is definitely a contender but there are some shortfalls. 1. By the time you put a gimbal and camera on it you are at almost twice the price as the P3. 2. Range is not near the P3 (at least stock). I am, more and more after going through all these threads realizing that the ones that do have issues are 1 in thousands that don't.
Hey, I hope they never do a hybrid HD. Don't think I could go that....no more rolling thunder. There was a lot of grumbling when they did away with the Evolution engine. Friends...yep. You ever do any ice fishing up there in MN.?
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-17 23:35

David,

Hey, my friend (1 of 2) and I were talking about that yesterday. You know what I might try instead of having to leave my boat running? I've got two of those small, quiet, Honda generators (EU2000 maybe?). I may try one of those. I'd hate to have to keep my motor going. I do have two deep cycles for my electronics and my troller they might do it as well. I could just set up an Aux switch. I think I'm going to try the generator idea first. I don't suppose you tried the VisionPlus app yet? I can't remember if that was just yesterday or a few days ago.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-18 00:30
Jerry,
I'm just showing the alternative. I think the market is really going to start opening up.  ...

Ray - have you heard of Brammo?  I sold my HD and was thinking of getting one of those for around town.  I posted this somewhere else I think.  Every time I think I am ready to pull the trigger on one I say to myself "It's just not a Harley."  I have a friend who has been sending me pics of his bikes to try and encourage me.  I think it worked.  I have been looking at the HD website for three days now.

Chris
2015-4-17
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-17 23:35

Ah! Everything including the kitchen sink. Wow.
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Okay here's the practice video. Remember, very boring. You've been warned!

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-18 00:37
Ray - have you heard of Brammo?  I sold my HD and was thinking of getting one of those for around  ...

Chris, I don't know, I'm more of a cruiser. And when it's a not a Harley (try-to-be-Harley) it's a Narley.
Ray
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Ray - have you heard of Brammo?  I sold my HD and was thinking of getting one of those for around  ...

Who the heck would that be?

Bait the hook, cast it out and just sit back and wait for the bite...

Better contact that guy before you pull the trigger. JMO!

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-18 00:46
Okay here's the practice video. Remember, very boring. You've been warned!

EVERGREENS-Practice Only ...

Well, that certainly is a lot more than the last one!  Way to go.  At :38 I thought you were going to go all the way through.  Then again at 2:50 I said to myself "He is out the other end" but no again and then again at 3:35 I thought for sure you were going out the other end...again, no.  That does seem like a nice little 'alley' to practice control of the quad.

I have to admit, the sound effect was making me laugh. Nice flying in the pines!
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

That's some tricky work....ATTI?
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Ray,

You're not reading! It's automatically flipping from GPS to ATTI and back as the trees block the signal. I can tell when it does so as the green tail lights go to yellow when it goes ATTI then back to green when GPS locks. You didn't answer the other question????

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-18 01:10
Well, that certainly is a lot more than the last one!  Way to go.  At :38 I thought you were going  ...

Chris,

I wasn't trying to go "out the other end". I was just trying to go in and out of the trees. On a few runs I was yawing back and forth but the gimbal wasn't locked so it doesn't really capture the effect. For me, it was difficult to fly "in" the trees like that. It looks a lot easier than it actually is. Again, that's just me. I'm sure there are guys around here that could fly circles around the trees themselves. I'm just really working hard to sharpen my piloting and ATTI skills. Last night was a good time to get some practice in, no wind.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-18 00:27
We're all looking forward to it with GREAT anticipation!

Gerry,

Missed that one the first time around! Well, I would assume that 'GREAT anticipation" has waned by now. I see you trying to help the guy in the other thread. Hope he's doing as instructed. I don't have any answers for him other than to do what you're asking. I figure if you can't help him then I don't know who can. I tink it's tough on these guys sometimes when 10 different people chime in with 10 different ideas. Better to have too many than too few but sometimes confusing as well. Hopefully when I get to editing some of the river footage I'll have something better to post.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Chris,

Just looked at the Brammo link. Tell you what, you can ride that to Sturgis with your two friends! Ray and I will catch up with you there. Just have your girl call my girl...

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-18 04:17
Gerry,

Missed that one the first time around! Well, I would assume that 'GREAT anticipation" has  ...

I was going to fly close to the river today but it's gusting to high with winds and didn't want to dive in the drink.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get some video of it.
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Okay, guess it's time to change bait....ummmmm....think I'll trrry this one...

DSC03904.jpg
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-18 04:33
Okay, guess it's time to change bait....ummmmm....think I'll trrry this one...

Are you trying to seduce me?
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-18 04:46
Are trying to seduce me?

Nahh, just fishin'...Shhhhh, you'll scare 'em away!

Heeerre fishy, fishy, fishy....
2015-4-17
Use props
davidw63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-18 00:35
David,

Hey, my friend (1 of 2) and I were talking about that yesterday. You know what I might try ...

I downloaded the app and bench tested it, but havent flown with it yet as i only had it for 2 days and i was working on my storage box that i bought cutting out the foam to fit everything. I only have one marine deep cycle battery on my boat. The charger is running off power outlets from the boats wiring system. I have a 75 HP merc outboard that has a 16 AMP stater/ charing system that does fine over 2k rpm while charging and running other crap. Never thought of a generator since I havent really used the power inverter until just this past week at the lake. My case can carry up 2 5 batteries (with one in Phantom) and plan on buying at least one per month. The batteries charge well when im cruising around the lake. But I plan on getting a car charger designed for that instead of a power inverter which i think robs current going from dc to ac.
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-18 00:30
Jerry,
I'm just showing the alternative. I think the market is really going to start opening up.  ...

Ray,

My apologies, I missed this whole note the first time around! I don't know what the heck happened because I missed Gerry's too, the one right above yours. Go figure? I hear what you're saying, though. Just going to have to keep an eye on the market I guess. There will be plenty to look at that's for sure! Thanks for the note and sorry I missed it the first go.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Way behind on editing. Wife and I went to dinner than did some more videos with DeathTrap this evening. Another load of unedited videos, just what I need right now. I told the wife I might pull a late one and try to get some editing done. Leaving for the lake on Sunday. If I don't get it done before I go up there, it'll probably never get done. I can't believe how many Gigs of videos I've loaded since I got this thing. I've got 126GB of just drone vids/pics on this laptop and I've got to have double, maybe triple that on my NAS drive. I've got to get rid of some of this crap!

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

I've been editing todays stuff for the last hour and a half. Moviemaker crashed. Didn't save it. Reboot. Start over.:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Here's two of my latest three, the last one is uploading but I need a nap!

Coming Soon: The Dells

Jerry

2015-4-18
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Nice video... A bridge over no water!!!
2015-4-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced