My Inspire just fell from the sky for no reason!
12Next >
4215 41 2015-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18326348 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was flying over the Savannah River in Augusta, GA during a beautiful sunny day filming and shooting pictures and decided to fly her back and land to switch batteries.  Last battery strength was between 50-45% and she just stopped mid air and fell from ~230 into a deep murky fast moving river.  I can't even recover her as she went under immediately!  Will DJI replace her or am I screwed?? I have the flight log on my android device but I don't know how to show stick movements etc,.
2015-4-26
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

DJI does not repair units that have been ruined by water I hope you didn't perform CSC...
2015-4-26
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I did not, was flying straight forward to land.  Can't repair anyways as I can't recover it.  Went into deep murky river and I have no way to get her back...
2015-4-26
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

I hope you had some sort of insurance.  DJI will not replace. Did you have the prop locks installed?  
2015-4-26
Use props
chrisfromalbany
lvl.2

United States

Will DJi gave you discount on another bird? or looking on eBay get a replacement..
2015-4-26
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have liability insurance to cover any damage on the ground but nothing for the bird itself.  I had self-locking props on so no prop locks.  I am a DJI dealer so I can get one at cost (I don't generally stock more than one as I have a local distributor), that's not the point of this.  This craft fell from the sky due to no fault of my own.  DJI should make it right!  I'm not asking for a full setup, just the aircraft/camera and one battery, that's what I lost and that's all I deserve as a replacement.  The worse part is that it's really putting me in a bind from a business standpoint.  I'm 300 miles from home where I came to fly a filming job in the morning, with a second job in the area on Tuesday.  I brought a Phantom 2 Vision + as a backup but left my S900 at home.. The job tomorrow only wants 1080p video so I can get by with the P2V+ but Tuesday wants 4K so I either have to drive 600 miles round trip overnight to go get my S900 or figure out a way to have a replacement Inspire here tuesday AM.....
2015-4-26
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Travis,
Have you gone into the user center in the DJI Pilot App? I know on mine (using Ipad) that when I go in there I can click on flight record and can select which flight and then click on the controller at the bottom left. This will bring up your stick and show you every exact movement on them.
2015-4-26
Use props
DJI-Julain
lvl.2

Hong Kong

hello sir, have you ever contact our inspire1 tech support team?

their email address is  inspire1@dji.com  

please contact us soon and let us know the email is written by you. pleas also sync the flight record now.
2015-4-26
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-4-27 09:01
I have liability insurance to cover any damage on the ground but nothing for the bird itself.  I had ...

TravisSRT - Note the post to this thread from DJI-Julain, a DJI employee.  I suggest following his instructions.  (I'm posting because I see he didn't tag you in his message, and I wanted to ensure you got it).
2015-4-26
Use props
DJI-Julain
lvl.2

Hong Kong

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-27 12:26
TravisSRT - Note the post to this thread from DJI-Julain, a DJI employee.  I suggest following his  ...

YES. Hope everything would be all right
2015-4-26
Use props
durrr
lvl.2

United States

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. If the logs show some weird activity or there is a way for DJI to see what exactly happened then we should be somewhat covered fully or even 50%.
2015-4-27
Use props
jfro
lvl.1

United States

Reports in the Media is that DJI is being valued at 8-10 billion dollars.  One would hope that if your logs showed you had plenty of battery left and you did nothing to cause it to just stop, that they would replace your Inspire.

IMO, if it were 30 days or newer, that's what they should do.  If it's a little older, than maybe the Inspire/cam but not the battery.  

I've gone through 2 camera's on my inspire, waiting on a 3rd, and bricked a remote.  I've had it for 3 -4 days of flying in 8 weeks of ownership and probably won't get it back for another month based on the repair time.  

Reading up on some of the issues with Inspires falling out of the sky and the DJI people on forums suggesting to always fly with a fully chargerded battery.

I have 6 multi rotors and have never had a battery fail out of about 14-15 4s and 6s batteries.  I do a lot of testing where I do 2-4 flights in the 3-8 minute range and have never had a problem. They are just dumb batteries with a voltage alarm.

I get a kick out of the "smart battery" name.  There are too many gotcha's for this to be called a smart battery.  

Anyway, good luck getting to some sort of log that can detail what happened.  This isn't a freak happening as others are reporting similar issues so I'd suggest your start a dialog with DJI.  After all, a 8 billion dollar company needs to stand behind their products.  
2015-4-27
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Julain Posted at 2015-4-27 11:58
hello sir, have you ever contact our inspire1 tech support team?

their email address is   

I contacted live support immediately after it happened and they said I needed to call DJI in L.A. today.  I emailed the info to the address you posted and also emailed DJI L.A.  I wait to hear back from you guys!
2015-4-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

You really need to call them.  Emails take more time.
2015-4-27
Use props
DBDagger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2783205 ft
United States

sbarryjackson@s Posted at 2015-4-27 10:13
Travis,
Have you gone into the user center in the DJI Pilot App? I know on mine (using Ipad) that wh ...

Can you supply a screen shot of the controller in the lower left you mentioned as I do not see it on Android pilot app. Just a play arrow.
2015-4-28
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DBDagger Posted at 2015-4-28 16:10
Can you supply a screen shot of the controller in the lower left you mentioned as I do not see it  ...

Here you go! Let me know if yours is different. You do not see the sticks initially, but all you have to do is click on the controller icon and it shows the exact stick movement/percentages throughout the entire flight.
IMG_0005.PNG
2015-4-28
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-28 04:13
You really need to call them.  Emails take more time.

I called and talked to a very nice guy, they sent me a questionnaire about the event and I sent it back immediately.  I just got an email from Anthony C. at DJI L.A. saying my questionnaire has been sent to management for evaluation and support.  

My android app does not have the controller on it?  Am I missing something or can I not see my stick movements on the Android?
2015-4-28
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Here's her last known location in Augusta, GA.
2015-4-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-4-29 03:27
I called and talked to a very nice guy, they sent me a questionnaire about the event and I sent it  ...

Unfortunately the Android App does not have that feature.  I am glad Anthony is assisting you.  
2015-4-28
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-4-29 03:29
Here's her last known location in Augusta, GA.

Hope they are able to resolve this for you.
2015-4-28
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Loaded the app on my wife's iPhone and now I can see stick movements.  Here is my last movement as  thought.  

2015-4-28
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-29 03:38
Unfortunately the Android App does not have that feature.  I am glad Anthony is assisting you.

I really hope they help me out.  As you can see from my log above everything was exactly as I said (I was a little off on my estimate of remaining battery as I thought it had around 45% and it's showing 42% but still.  NO reason it should have seized up and fell into the water below.  I picked up a new Inspire yesterday as I needed one to complete a job today!
2015-4-28
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-4-29 07:09
I really hope they help me out.  As you can see from my log above everything was exactly as I said ...

Awesome stuff man! Any evidence you can help to build the case is a plus in your favor.  Very happy you got this to show them. I am sure they could anyway, but they will be able to see the stick movements throughout the whole flight.
2015-4-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-4-29 05:41
Loaded the app on my wife's iPhone and now I can see stick movements.  Here is my last movement as   ...

Send that to Anthony.  It will help him help you.
2015-4-28
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-29 10:15

He said that they could view it on their end once I sync'd it.  Is that not true?  I'm not trying to persecute DJI as I love their products and am a huge supporter (and a sub-dealer).  I just want them to help me out as I don't see how this could have been any fault of my own.  
2015-4-29
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't read all the posts on this thread but have people talked about how the Inspire 1's vision system works over water as a lot of crashes/falls seem to have happened when flying over water ?
2015-4-30
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HFI Posted at 2015-4-30 20:28
I haven't read all the posts on this thread but have people talked about how the Inspire 1's vision  ...

I have been wondering the same thing.
2015-4-30
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is worth reading

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php ... _Positioning_System
2015-5-1
Use props
averbouwens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-4-30 03:51
He said that they could view it on their end once I sync'd it.  Is that not true?  I'm not trying  ...

So, what is their verdict?  I just synced my ipad so they can view my failure
2015-5-3
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-4-27 09:01
I have liability insurance to cover any damage on the ground but nothing for the bird itself.  I had ...

I am looking at purchasing a s900, please contact me Travis.
2015-5-3
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2015-5-4 10:08
I am looking at purchasing a s900, please contact me Travis.

Still waiting on DJI.  smcrbrearty shoot me an email at travis@flyboync.com for S900 info
2015-5-6
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-5-7 00:17
Still waiting on DJI.  smcrbrearty shoot me an email at  for S900 info

Thanks travis, sent you an email.
2015-5-6
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-29 10:15

So their "Resolution" is to sell me an inspire at half off of retail cost but not send me the RC only the bird.  That's seriously the best that a $10 billion company can do for a loyal customer who owns 2 phantoms, 2 inspires and an S900 and is just trying to make things whole again???
2015-5-7
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-5-7 22:24
So their "Resolution" is to sell me an inspire at half off of retail cost but not send me the RC on ...

Putting the morality of a replacement aside, have they given any indication as to the cause?
2015-5-7
Use props
Mistician
lvl.2

United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-5-7 22:24
So their "Resolution" is to sell me an inspire at half off of retail cost but not send me the RC on ...

I apologize if I'm missing something here, but why would you expect DJI to send you a new remote control as well? Didn't you only lose the Inspire in the river, hence they're giving you a deal only on a new Inspire? If you still have your original RC, can't you just pair it with a new body once it comes in?
2015-5-7
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mistician Posted at 2015-5-7 23:26
I apologize if I'm missing something here, but why would you expect DJI to send you a new remote c ...

I don't expect an RC but remove the cost of the RC from the price if you're offering me a discount.  How about half price of just the bird and battery.  I am a sub dealer so I know what dealer prices are..
2015-5-7
Use props
matty
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18656654 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It looks like it's pretty clearly a bug. IMO they should replace the whole bird and battery.
2015-5-9
Use props
8901alex
New

United States

I think DJI sucks it took almost 5 weeks to get my bird back from a fly error they fix it but .When I try to fly again it would not shut off it would not respond it went up in the air and back I had no control and it crash I only had it for about 10 mnts and I wait it  for 5 weeks after repairs I'm so dessapointed I think the need to fix the issues and fix the customer service......
2015-5-9
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Come on DJI, I know you can do better than this.  The fact that I bought a second inspire the next day shows that I'm a loyal customer.  My primary cinema drone (S900) just began it's long journey to DJI L.A.  for inspection/repair of a Motor/ESC and/or A2 issue.  I need a second Inspire as a backup and this is putting me in a tight spot..
2015-5-10
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Julain Posted at 2015-4-27 12:59
YES. Hope everything would be all right

Well DJI only offered me 50% discount on a new one, but they want me to send them an RC to bind etc,. then pay 50% of retail for a new bird, battery and camera.  Surely they can do better than this.  I need the RC as i'm using it as a slave remote with my new Inspire.
2015-5-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules