Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Now 50% off] Phantom 3 lost communication and gone above Charles River
12345Next >
25924 166 2015-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

05/21/2015
Now DJI offered 50% off and I accepted it. Just don't have the energy to argue with them any more. Thank you guys for paying attention to this post! Your replies and supports are helpful and I apprecitated them.

05/13/2015
Just got another email back from them
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Siyang

We are DJI Technology, a Customer Service and Repair center for North America. Our focus is technical support through phone and email, as well as product repair.

Unfortunately, in these situations where we cannot accept the Phantom into our repair center, we cannot determine the cause of the Phantom's behavior.
Because of this, we have customers fill out the survey so we can find any clues that lead us to one of these main causes: user error, equipment malfunction, or signal interference.

The fact that you chose to fly your unit over open bodies of water, something we advise against in our safety guidelines places a certain level of responsibility on you.
http://download.dji-innovations. ... s_Disclaimer_en.pdf

I choose to help, and offered you the best solution we have to helps customers in your position. We cannot offer any further discount as this is a company-wide policy.

If you accept, please use the information in the previous email to send your transmitter in.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

DJI Customer Service Lead North America
DJI Customer Service North America
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

05/12/2015
Received an email from DJI earlier today, saying they will “offer” me a 30% off on a new P3 purchase. And they didn't say anything about the cause of this case, but only gave me a "general reminder" saying that the remote connection can be interfered by "large amounts of concrete, steel, powerlines, wifi technology", which doesn't seem to exist in the middle of a river.

I feel this is NOT fair at all, basically DJI want me to pay 70% (actually 100% considering they want the reomote back) for this crash which was at least 70% their fault! I cannot recall any error from my side, I have flied my p2 in this area several times without any issue, so it's hard to believe signal interfere was the case. Even the signal was interfered by those things were mentioned, it should be able to go home, unless the GPS and transmitter failed at the same time, or a complete battery failure, either way it's a mechanical or software error rather than user error. And I provided everything I had to help them investigate my case. What disappointed me more is their attitude, it takes them a week to reply me a email, which doesn't really talk about my specific case. I guess maybe they were too busy dealing with these kind of cases...

I will attach part of the email, let me know what you guys think about this. At this point, I just cannot accept this "offer".

I understand that the data maybe not enough for them to reach a conclusive result, and right now i'm not expecting a free replacement since i don't have any solid evidence showing it's completely their fault. However I do want a explanation and 30% off is just too little compare to my loss.

----------------------the email-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Siyang Qi,

Thank you for your patience.

We have reviewed your survey, and based on the incident you experienced, we want to provide further assistance.

First, we want to remind you that the remote connection our Phantoms use can be interfered with by outside sources as per FCC law. Flying near any large amounts of concrete, steel, powerlines, wifi technology, and other man-made sources can affect the behavior of the aircraft. Also, calibrating the compass over or near any of these objects or material can cause issues in flight. This is a general reminder and may not necessarily apply to your situation.

We would like to offer you 30% off a new purchase of a Phantom 3 Professional for $881.30

To accept this offer, please mail us your transmitter so we can register it and generate an invoice.

(the rest of the email is talking about how to accept the offer )

----------------------end of the email-----------------------------------------------------------------

05/03/2015

It's a beautiful Sunday in Boston, warm and with only mild wind. I decided to fly above Charles River to take some aerial shots. I flied the p2 for more than 100 times in the past one year and about 5 times with this new P3, without any problem. So I’m pretty confident about this flight.

I took off near the river with GPS locked and everything normal, I flied for about 7 mins, took few pictures and shot 2 videos, I had full bar of image and control signal and about 80 meter from the ground, with about70% battery, until all of a sudden, I lost signal and the screen went B&W.My first reaction was to reload the app, but there was still no signal, I tried several times and then looked to the sky and cannot find the drone any more. I restart the remote as well as the app, and also pressed the return to home button, nothing happened, the signal never went back.

Then I wait there for a while, wished it would auto go home, it didn't. Then I went to the other side of the river, I'm worried if it crashed into those people at the bank. Thankfully when I got there, it seems all OK. I asked a few people but they didn't see anything. I guess it just crash right in the middle of the river, as shown on the flight record inthe pilot app...I eventually gave up finding it and went home.

I read another p3 user's thread saying his p3 suddenly lost power in the midair, I think that's the same thing happened to my unit. Ihave attached the flight record file that pulled from my phone, as well as thelast video the app cached (that’s pretty much all I have). I believe the video was rolling until the moment that I lost signal.

I love DJI and their products and I'm so passionate about aerial photography and filming. But this case really shocked me, now I’m almost feeling lucky that it “just” crash into the river (probably) and no one gethurt. DJI really need to inspect their product to see if there was any design flaw or something that leads to this serious issue.

Meanwhile, for the people that just get P3 in their hand, I strongly recommend not to fly it or just fly it in the area that it won’t drop and hit anyone, until DJI release the next firmware update. No matter how skillful and experienced you are, there is nothing you can do if a drone loses power in the air.

DJIFlightRecord_2015-05-03_[16-01-21].zip (189.67 KB, Down times: 93)
2015-5-3
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

That is the smoothest water ever, no wonder you shoot there!

On the sadder note... You were 80m up as stated, how far out were you from where you were located? When your app first went black and white did you make visual contact with the quad or went straight to working on getting it back up and running? On a beautiful day with scattered clouds, before you lost communication were you able to make visual contact with the quad or only see it through the FPV? With your experience with the previous Phantom and probably quite a few different batteries, do you feel this was a battery conditioning issue or the buggy app that took your quad out of the sky?
2015-5-3
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

What are the laws in the US regarding having visual contact with the drone at all times (as they are here in Australia)?  Does the FAA (is this the equivalent of CASA here?) state you MUST have constant visual contact at all times?  I know this doesn't help of course sorry, just wondering about the local laws there.  Depending on how far away it is (and the angle of the sun, etc.) it may have been in a position where you couldn't see it properly when it lost contact?  I know from using my P2 Vision I was always very nervous when I lost visual contact, even if I had vision from the camera on my mobile.
2015-5-3
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-4 09:20
That is the smoothest water ever, no wonder you shoot there!

On the sadder note... You were 80m up  ...

Hi Cacc:

It was about 400 meters away. I went straight on the app since the signal issue used to happen, and I was able to fix it by reloading the app.  I was able to make visual contact before lost communication, but I did spend more time on the fpv since I still need to focus on the camera view. I have the line of sight, there is no obstacle between me and the drone since I'm standing right beside the river.

For what causes the problem, I really have no idea, it could be either the firmware issue or the battery. But I never ran into any issue with my p2 and 3 batteries, this case kind of scared me
2015-5-3
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-5-4 09:34
What are the laws in the US regarding having visual contact with the drone at all times (as they are ...

The FFA (or Transport Canada where I am) requires visual contact at all times. The Canadian one specifically says, "Always keep your aircraft in sight, where you can see it with your own eyes – not only through an on-board camera, monitor or smartphone." Just like most laws, it only matters what you get caught doing and how knit picky they want to be at the time. I see it as a posted speed limit; people will speed and you can technically get a ticket going 1 kph over the posted limit, but there is always some leeway. If you fly around a big tree, technically you can't see it while it is hidden by the tree...is that against the law, technically, but would you get a citation for it, likely not. Another Canadian law is, "Do not fly higher than 90 metres from above the ground." which can be a tough one to judge or enforce if you take off from the top of a hill, or the bottom.

This is the third forum post of a quad just falling from the sky in the past couple days, has me wondering how many are not posting here and just contacting DJI directly. It really sucks, but hopefully this will help fix things so the rest of us don't have any issues when we get off the ground.
2015-5-3
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is it possible for you to video the App flight log?  That would be helpful to analyze what happened.  I am sorry for your loss.  Please call DJI LA and open a ticket with them.  Thank you.
2015-5-3
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Pls sync your filght record to the cloud, I'll have a check. Trully sorry for your loss.
And pls call U.S Support.
2015-5-3
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-4 09:56
Is it possible for you to video the App flight log?  That would be helpful to analyze what happened. ...

yes, will video that soon
2015-5-3
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-4 10:00
Pls sync your filght record to the cloud, I'll have a check.
And pls call U.S Support.

Already uploaded to the cloud, I'll call DJI US tomorrow
2015-5-3
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

silver gives good advice - don't fly this new bird anywhere where it can fall on people or cars or in the water (the new P3 manual says don't fly above bodies of water)...

The app is only two days old and the quad is brand new - they are bugs...as there always are. Mine lost signal in the same way but it was close to me and the R/C controls still worked fine. But when the quad is 1000 feet or more away and the pilot is busy at their phone or tablet it's impossible to steer the machine or even see whether it reacts to the R/C control. IOC is not yet complete (no home lock!), so saving the quad is much harder than with the P2.

I know we all get excited about the possibilities - but we need to be patient and not take this new bird to it's limits or to any chancy situations until we are sure that the app is working correctly.
It would be better to pull out our old P2V+ models (if we have them) as they are more mature in their systems.

I think I'm going to put my P3 on the shelf until the next app update - the new version (from the DJI page directly) seemed to introduce this disconnection bug that was not there in the original goog play app.
2015-5-3
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

Is it possible for you to video the App flight log?  That would be helpful to analyze what happened. ...

the flight log video:
2015-5-3
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

silverqsy@gmail Posted at 2015-5-4 11:50
the flight log video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZSG8A6ZA8

Thank you for doing that.  What I was hoping to see was the telemetry data, battery levels, mode, etc.  Autumn will have to review in the cloud.
2015-5-3
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

Seems to be like the P3 just suddenly lost all power (like the battery died or become disconnected)??  I can't see any user error with this, so surely it would be covered under warranty?  I guess the flight logs might show more.
2015-5-3
Use props
AirborneNinja
lvl.2

United States

I don't understand why companies in general don't do further testing with apps before launching. It is completely wrong to release things to the public that aren't ready, especially when spending this amount of money.

Customers are not supposed to be beta testers.

And to say "don't fly over bodies of open water" is obsurd and shows lack of confidence in the product to perform as advertised.
2015-5-3
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AirborneNinja Posted at 2015-5-4 12:21
I don't understand why companies in general don't do further testing with apps before launching. It  ...

While we all appreciate your comments, you have an affinity for 3DR.  I can show your posts there.  We do not troll the 3DR threads on RCG and yet you come here and pollute our forum.  I can fix that.  Please refrain from posting here.  Thank you.
2015-5-3
Use props
Jim.young04
lvl.2

United States

What device were you using? With the crashing app you had been experiencing what if this could have been a factor? I understand that even if you crash the app, this should never happen.
2015-5-3
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

There was a very similar event on the Inspire Forum. On the basis that the Phantum should "return home" if the connection is lost there must be some sort of system failure. Or have I missunderstood.

2015-5-3
Use props
fdnyfish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7965640 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe that long nail in the video accidentally moved one of your switches to manual mode.
2015-5-4
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

Jim.young04@gma Posted at 2015-5-4 15:42
What device were you using? With the crashing app you had been experiencing what if this could have  ...

I was using a Galaxy S5, I think the app might be a factor, but maybe also have sth to do with the battery
2015-5-4
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

fdnyfish Posted at 2015-5-4 20:31
Maybe that long nail in the video accidentally moved one of your switches to manual mode.

there is No manual mode in p3
2015-5-4
Use props
christer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-4 11:58
Thank you for doing that.  What I was hoping to see was the telemetry data, battery levels, mode,  ...

My thoughts too, why isnt those data available?
2015-5-4
Use props
christer
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Please keep us updated with this case, im interested in the outcome of it, and what Dji conclusion will be.

Thanks!
2015-5-4
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-4 11:58
Thank you for doing that.  What I was hoping to see was the telemetry data, battery levels, mode,  ...

Well I didn't find those info anywhere in the App, I do have a txt file copied from the "FlightRecord" folder in the Android app, don't know if that would help. Also keep me posted if Autumn figure out anything
2015-5-4
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

christer@christ Posted at 2015-5-4 21:49
Please keep us updated with this case, im interested in the outcome of it, and what Dji conclusion ...

Sure I'll keep you posted
2015-5-4
Use props
christer
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

silverqsy@gmail Posted at 2015-5-4 22:07
Well I didn't find those info anywhere in the App, I do have a txt file copied from the "FlightRec ...

Now that Dji finally have made a blackbox feature for the Phantom, they should be able to give you the exact cause of the failure, then its only a question if the fault was on your side, or internally.
Last one would of course qualify for replacement at Dji cost.
Please backup this file in case you need it later, and dont accept just and answer that it wasnt a technical fault.
2015-5-4
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en

The above is worth a read.  It does sound very similar.
2015-5-4
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

ems1016 Posted at 2015-5-4 22:18
Instead of calling each other trolls, why the hell don't you guys stick together and put corporate g ...

So we should use out Chinese made iphones and laptops to call our government agents and complain about the assembly of DJI Quadcopters?

Funny stuff.
Where were you when Windows spent 20 years releasing stuff that needed updates each week to continue to function?
2015-5-4
Use props
nhirsch
New

United States

Please continue to post any findings by DJI and resolution of your loss.   I have a P3 on order.  Have Vision, P2 and 3 P1s.   No 3DR however I too suspect inadequate testing.
Thanks....
2015-5-4
Use props
averbouwens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

jon.jongodfrey Posted at 2015-5-4 22:17
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=13795&extra=page%3D1&lang=en

The above is worth a ...

Yes, this is my post.  Lost my Bird 1.  Have not heard back from DJI Inspire Support?  Tahoe_Ed, can you get involved and may sure the review my case.  Thanks Allan
2015-5-4
Use props
bradkaufman.mac
lvl.1

United States

How do you pull up the flight log and also how do you sync to the cloud? Newbie!
2015-5-4
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

bradkaufman.mac Posted at 2015-5-5 02:06
How do you pull up the flight log and also how do you sync to the cloud? Newbie!

There is an icon of the cloud with an up arrow in the upper right corner of the App under user.  Press that and it will sync with the cloud.
2015-5-4
Use props
christer
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-5 03:55
There is an icon of the cloud with an up arrow in the upper right corner of the App under user.  P ...

Someones calling for your help in post #34
2015-5-4
Use props
AirborneNinja
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-4 14:17
While we all appreciate your comments, you have an affinity for 3DR.  I can show your posts there. ...

Sounds good man
2015-5-4
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

christer@christ Posted at 2015-5-5 04:55
Someones calling for your help in post #34

He has already started the process with DJI.  
2015-5-5
Use props
Gary C
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1710938 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where is the flight log found, if I may ask?
2015-5-5
Use props
myles
New

United States

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-5-4 12:03
Seems to be like the P3 just suddenly lost all power (like the battery died or become disconnected)? ...

Same thing happened to me.. I was flying about 40' up and about 30' feet away.. battery just cut off and crashed... once it crashed the batter came back on. I've sent mine into DJI today... Hopefully they replace it soon..
2015-5-5
Use props
myles
New

United States

silverqsy@gmail Posted at 2015-5-4 20:42
I was using a Galaxy S5, I think the app might be a factor, but maybe also have sth to do with the ...

Battery went out on mine.. crashed.. on 6.5 minutes into my second flight with it.
2015-5-5
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

myles Posted at 2015-5-6 07:14
Battery went out on mine.. crashed.. on 6.5 minutes into my second flight with it.

Well that happen to me also on 6.5 min (actually 6:28). Is that just coincidence or something...
2015-5-5
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

Gary C Posted at 2015-5-6 07:01
Where is the flight log found, if I may ask?

It's in the "Users" tab in the android app
2015-5-5
Use props
silverqsy
lvl.2

United States

Hey guys just some update about my case, I called DJI yesterday and they said they will investigate my case and asked me to fill a questionnaire. I did that and haven't heard anything back from DJI yet, hopefully I can get the result soon.

Meanwhile, thanks to flylitchi.com, I was able to open my flight record, and I noticed in the last second before i lost communication, the battery voltage rise from 15.172V to 15.613V, it doen't look normal compare to the values before. Maybe it's related to the crash?
and myles can you also upload you flight record file? maybe we can find something in common.
1.43068E+12
07:44.6
07:44.6
1.43068E+12
07:44.7
07:44.7
1.43068E+12
07:44.8
07:44.8
1.43068E+12
07:44.9
07:44.9
1.43068E+12
07:45.0
07:45.0
1.43068E+12
07:45.1
07:45.1
1.43068E+12
07:45.3
07:45.3
1.43068E+12
07:45.5
07:45.5
1.43068E+12
07:45.6
07:45.6
1.43068E+12
07:45.7
07:45.7
1.43068E+12
07:45.8
07:45.8
1.43068E+12
07:45.9
07:45.9
1.43068E+12
07:46.0
07:46.0
1.43068E+12
07:46.1
07:46.1
1.43068E+12
07:46.2
07:46.2
1.43068E+12
07:46.3
07:46.3
1.43068E+12
07:46.4
07:46.4
1.43068E+12
07:46.5
07:46.5
1.43068E+12
07:46.6
07:46.6
1.43068E+12
07:46.7
07:46.7
1.43068E+12
07:46.8
07:46.8
1.43068E+12
07:46.9
07:46.9
1.43068E+12
07:47.0
07:47.0
1.43068E+12
07:47.1
07:47.1
1.43068E+12
07:47.2
07:47.2
1.43068E+12
07:47.4
07:47.4
1.43068E+12
07:47.5
07:47.5
1.43068E+12
07:47.6
07:47.6
1.43068E+12
07:47.7
07:47.7
1.43068E+12
07:47.8
07:47.8
1.43068E+12
07:47.9
07:47.9
1.43068E+12
07:48.0
07:48.0
1.43068E+12
07:48.1
07:48.1
1.43068E+12
07:48.2
07:48.2
1.43068E+12
07:48.3
07:48.3
1.43068E+12
07:48.4
07:48.4
1.43068E+12
07:48.5
07:48.5
1.43068E+12
07:48.6
07:48.6
latitudelongitudealtitude(feet)ascent(feet)speed(mph)distance(feet)max_altitude(feet)max_ascent(feet)max_speed(mph)max_distance(feet)time(millisecond)datetime(utc)datetime(local)satellitespressure(Pa)temperature(F)voltage(v)

DJIFlightRecordReadable_2015-05-03_(16-01-21).zip (38.29 KB, Down times: 46)
2015-5-5
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules