Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RENAAT ND FILTERS PICS/WEIGHT/VIDEO COMPARISON
123Next >
16673 107 2015-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

First of all THANK YOU RENAAT AND HIS WIFE AILEEN for putting such a great effort into not only coming up with the idea for this great product but for delivering as promised... The quality is great.. the weight and the results are amazing... Here is some preliminary stuff just for your consideration:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124117089@N07/sets/72157651908570507/

The filter is 3grams as promised which is the same weight to the Stock OEM filter.

I cannot wait to try them out on video!!! stay tuned... I will post some video here...

If you would like to post your pics and videos here as well you are more than welcome to... this way it is easier for other people to find them.

All pics were taken with ISO 200 at 1/25 shutter.
Jim Hare... I apologize.. I  did not noticed you had already posted about them...the way you have to look for the threads now is not very well designed!

RENAAT.png
8.JPG
16.JPG
32.JPG
64.JPG
OEM.JPG
2015-5-4
Use props
vincenzor1
lvl.2

Canada

How to order. Thanks
2015-5-4
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Right here!!

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... lang=en&lang=en
2015-5-4
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Excellent review, GENETTICO.  Still very jealous that I'm in the second wave instead of the first...  
2015-5-4
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Great thread Genettico!   

I'll post my results here later today and this will be the GoTo place on the subject.  

My tests will be to keep the exposure/histogram looking the same but adjusting the shutter lower and lower as the NDs get heavier.   So will be a different approach.

You're approach is fantastic to gauge the relative strengths of each so will be a good comparison!

Jim
2015-5-4
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.3

United States

Great post and many thanks for taking the time to post your findings.  I ordered my set today and can't wait.   

Thanks again!
David
2015-5-4
Use props
REDBARON
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2456043 ft
Canada

Thank You for taking the time to post this. Great pic's...as I just opened th DHL box!

2015-5-4
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

8 looks like the winner while the 64 way too dark.  Now of course it wasn't it full sunlight right?
2015-5-4
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-5-5 10:04
8 looks like the winner while the 64 way too dark.  Now of course it wasn't it full sunlight right?

You are correct... Besides.. I did not adjust.. I took them all with the same values just to show differences! ! I think the 64 has its use on sunny days!
2015-5-4
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Great experiment  Cant wait get mine and try them out
2015-5-4
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-5-5 10:36
Great experiment  Cant wait get mine and try them out

Here is Number 8 edits for great exposure!
  http://flic.kr/p/rwxaDv

2015-5-4
Use props
I1d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291634 ft
  • >>>
Canada

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-5 10:53
Here is Number 8 edits for great exposure!
  http://flic.kr/p/rwxaDv

Got mine today too and looking good 3 grams and thread clean. Got two sets as shipping was a decent amount (good value for speed though). Anyone in Vancouver, bc drop me a note if you are looking for a set or if interested in some dual operator testing!
2015-5-4
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

Thanks Genettico for making a new thread. Ours is becoming toooo long. I want to copy our last information:

We, Aileen & Renaat, are so happy with your comments.  Our adrenaline level of stress is going normal now seeing the expected result in reality. Originally we ordered 150 sets and let keep the factory a stock of 150 sets, anxious to have a stock at home. As we did it for free, it would turn in a complete loss. Now …  we mailed the factory to get their actual stock + 150 more. They will pay a small compensation, but not so important. The most important for us is being happy, you and we. We also want make a special note for all the fans who supported us at the creation of this set and encouragement during difficult moments, as there were.
Thinking back, when we became member at this forum, we were very bad humor about service, no replies, and Chinese behavior solving problems. Now, we thanks DJI giving the opportunity to exchange between members ideas, but we also hope DJI will take a lesson that selling is not all, making your customers happy is more important on the long run. We also hope that world will appreciate that not all stuff is Chinese rubbish, just they need a final touch, what, I think we added successfully. All hands on deck, you can achieve wonderful result.
Thinking about future: I really think to let produce for the Inspire1, not a polarizer (as I found it really useless in practice) but a graduated ND3 (-1.5 stop) applied on a ND8 and ND16 with 1/3 of covering. It will solve the problem of too brights skies and get a harmonious exposure. The only problem is, as the filter is crewed on, to make the graduation horizontally. This issue I will treat with factory after the preparing of the second shipment.
Another idea I would like to discuss with you concerning the Phantom 3 pro: DJI is planning to make a ND2-ND16 set to push up on the vision camera. We have a very original idea, not existing in the world at all, for making something very exclusive and very high level. This idea would be  possible to apply on the vision and in the future also on the Gopro with the same filters ! The rest we keep for private now, but I assure it will be very cute !  So, some one who owns a Phantom 3 can help us privately to give some info ??   We are thankful for it, as technically it will not be easy, but we have trust in our factory.
Back to our normal video work and fruit business (our 2 companies), and a final big kiss from my wife who is sooo happy and proud to have produced a quality Chinese product.
Cheers to all, Renaat.  
PS next shipment frames will be marked by text (such a slim frame, it is difficult) or at least with dots.
2015-5-4
Use props
piertex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 370282 ft
Italy

Thank you GENETTICO!!..
2015-5-4
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Renaat Posted at 2015-5-5 13:48
Thanks Genettico for making a new thread. Ours is becoming toooo long. I want to copy our last infor ...

Hi Renaat,

Once again, thank you (and your wife) for all the effort you put into this. Its greatly appreciated. Please put me down for the graduated filters when you are ready.

Just a thought and you've propoably already thought of this, but I would suspect that the most practical way of developing a graduated filter would be to allow it to rotate like a CP filter. That way the thread won't be critical and it offers the possiblility of creating interesting effects for still photographers. - Just a thought

Best Regards

Peter
2015-5-4
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

lethbrp Posted at 2015-5-5 15:50
Hi Renaat,

Once again, thank you (and your wife) for all the effort you put into this. Its greatly ...

You are right Peter, we were thinking about. At that moment factory and myself are very busy with second shipment that will be bigger as first. A lot of preparation besides our professional activity. Thanks.
2015-5-5
Use props
yusuk.hwangbo
lvl.1

South Korea

I've got Rennat's filter set yesterday. And I filmed using the filter set today.
I like sunrise and sunset scenaries

Using Rennat's ND 8

I used Kenko ND8 before receiving Rennat's filters. It looks good but a little more heavier, thread is not match Inspire 1's camera's.
Below video was made using Kenko ND8.

2015-5-5
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Hi all,

Okay, I went out and shot some tests with the new NDs.   

In comparison to Gennitico's test, which was to keep the settings the same and see the strength differences between, I kept the exposure the same by lowering the shutter speed each time I put a stronger ND on.

Without any ND I had to put the shutter to 1/1250 to get the image balanced.   With the included ND it dropped to 1/320.   The ND8 let me drop the shutter to 200, The ND16 to 1/120 and the ND32 to 1/60.

The NDs definitely did their job!   As they get darker however the color shifts quite a bit and by the time you get to ND32 you need to add much more saturation and blue to balance.  That's pretty normal for NDs so not an issue.

The video test was intentionally sporadic to try to bring out rolling shutter and other issues that are improved by NDs and lower shutter speeds.

Here's the video:

2015-5-5
Use props
Quinton
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing Jim and thanks Rennat/Aileen for putting so much effort into delivering these.
Got mine today in the UK, but unfortunately its raining here.
Packaged really well.
Having the ND32 it is expected to colour shift to magenta.

Am looking forward to trying these out.
2015-5-5
Use props
yusuk.hwangbo
lvl.1

South Korea

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-5 17:21
Hi all,

Thank you Jim. I learned a lot from you
2015-5-5
Use props
lindkold
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8077667 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hi all,

Wauv, a lot of blue is lost on the ND32. I have no experience with such a dark ND, but what's your thought of the quality of these? Thinking if totally fixing the color shift in post will be possible without issues? What's your experience with that?

I have the filters too and appreciate Renaats effort, but it's raining like crazy so can't test them until tomorrow.
2015-5-5
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Thanks Jim,

I noticed you get high colour saturation as you go up. Nice.

Regards

Peter
2015-5-5
Use props
pops52
lvl.2

United States

The icing on the ND filter cake would be if they would add graduated filters as well. I would be all over those.
2015-5-5
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Hi all,

Thats a great video comparison Jim. Thank you for taking the time.. I do see the color shift, and I am assuming you did not corrected it to so we can see and to show the lost of blue?

Renaat, Aileen,
Im glad you had such a great response with your product,and I am glad I was one of those initial supporters that got rewarded with such an outstanding set. I cannot wait to see what else you come up with... In the meantime I think you. Should expect a rush of orders as more exposure is given to your filters thru our community and these forum. Like Jim, I will post some videos using the different filters and I will be sure to mention them for other people to consider as long as you both are ok with it.

All,
Im also glad the pics and video posted by Jim and I are helping you make that decision.... I dont even have to test more.. I can say very confidently and probably Jim would back me up that if you have the expendable cash only two words apply: "buy it".

Jim,
After seeing your video I wonder about the result with the 64. How can we standarize the light, so you can compare the result and detemine if it is worth buying for you and all of us? I do have it..I thought maybe if  you give me a light meter reading of the time when you made your video comparison I can match the light here and make a video to match your settings
and see how much I can drop the shutter to and difference in  color shift! That way we can all see the entire set range and expected results... What do you think?

2015-5-5
Use props
Quinton
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Graduated ND filters are great as long as you don't tilt down Its very easy to put a gradient filter on in post, as long as we don't completely over expose.
2015-5-5
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

Quinton Posted at 2015-5-5 20:34
Graduated ND filters are great as long as you don't tilt down  Its very easy to put a gradient fil ...

Almost all is possible in post, but at a price. With the low baud rate and at the 8bits of the camera, there is not much room left for big color grading. To keep image as clean as possible the precise exposure is essential to have less grading work in post. Therefore a graduated filter can serve very well.
2015-5-5
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

Hi all,

Great work Jim. Yes indeed a small work in post to do. Thanks.
2015-5-5
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

Hi all,

Thanks Jim, nice work ! As you said normal for stronger ND's to have a bit IR pollution. But we can not make an IRND in the same price category (cfr. Schneider)? A small work in post and it is done. Super, we like.
2015-5-5
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-5 20:16
Thats a great video comparison Jim. Thank you for taking the time.. I do see the color shift, and I ...

Thanks for your kind words Genettico, authorized, go on as long there will be stock. As we told, it is for us an experience on all levels. We did know nothing about PAyPal, mass shipping, etc. We just wanted as you all a stronger ND based on the original one. As DJI ND has some green filtering, perhaps it explains the color shift at higher level. "If" we will make an exclusive eerie for the Phantom3, I will let correct it. For this first case, we wanted exactly same as DJI.
Congratulations with the forum.
2015-5-5
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

Thats a great video comparison Jim. Thank you for taking the time.. I do see the color shift, and I ...

Thanks for your kind words Genettico, authorized, go on as long there will be stock. As we told, it is for us an experience on all levels. We did know nothing about PAyPal, mass shipping, etc. We just wanted as you all a stronger ND based on the original one. As DJI ND has some green filtering, perhaps it explains the color shift at higher level. "If" we will make an exclusive eerie for the Phantom3, I will let correct it. For this first case, we wanted exactly same as DJI.
Congratulations with the forum.
2015-5-5
Use props
Quinton
lvl.1

United Kingdom

@GENETTICO
Jim was doing his tests for video rather than for images.
Basically the ND32 is perfect on a sunny day to get your shutter speed down to 1/60th (or 1/50th for us in the UK)
We dont have a choice with f-stop it is always F2.8, so the ND32 (5 STOPS) will be used a lot where it is really sunny, the ND16 (4 stops) will probably be used more in the UK where it is usually a bit overcast (or if sunny user wants to shoot at 120th shutter speed with 60 FPS for a bit of slo-mo) to always let us shoot at 1/50th PAL 1/60th NTSC
If we need to go up a stop to let more light in we just need to adjust the ISO from 100 to 200 to keep perfect exposure for video.
Having at least ND8, 16 AND 32 will be an essential piece of kit to have for all occassions.
2015-5-5
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Quinton Posted at 2015-5-5 21:28
@GENETTICO
Jim was doing his tests for video rather than for images.
Basically the ND32 is perfect  ...

understood.. My suggestion to him is regarding me making a video not picture.
2015-5-5
Use props
Golfo
lvl.2

Mexico

Renaat / Aileen,
many thanks for all your hard work and dedication and hopefully you can make a 3rd business out of all this in the future. My filters should finally arrive in Mexico today and so looking forward to using them in bright sunlight.

Thanks to everyone else for taking time to show their results and experience!
2015-5-5
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

Just saw a nice video at the other end of the world:    Thanks Hans, originally posted at: http://www.inspirepilots.com/thr ... /page-10#post-29360
2015-5-5
Use props
Quinton
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Received my new ND filters today so decided to set up a few tests with the Inspire 1 camera and so far have came to a "not normal" conclusion regarding shutter speed.
I set up a little spinning disc (like the one you get in garden centres) with a fan behind it for it to spin at a constant speed, and took videos with different shutter speeds, and TBH the most "normal to the eye" shutter speed seems to be 1/25th @25fps and 1/50th @50fps.
I have made videos of them here but don't have time to upload anything today, but feel free anyone else that wants to test that out and chip in with what they find.
2015-5-5
Use props
johanmfr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7046667 ft
  • >>>
France

hi please where is possible to buy for europe....? Aileen & Renaat ..?? bes regards
2015-5-5
Use props
kevin
lvl.1

United States

Great reviews and they have matched my brief experience testing the 16, 32 and 64 in bright sunny mid day Southern California Sun.  The saturation fix for the ND64 is a minor tweak compared to the ability to keep exposure closer to ideal when shooting in bright daylight especially over water.  I'm utterly amazed at how fast Renaat and Aileen were able to identify a need, design a product, get it produced and delivered to customers.  Having paid for extra batteries, props, a case, sun shield for my iPad, etc. these filters are the best value for your dollar when it comes to owning an Inspire 1.  I highly recommend them.
2015-5-5
Use props
nilsblix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Got mine in Spain today - I am so pleased Aileen & Renaat

And also thank you to Jimhare and GENETTICO - testing and sharing with us.

This is how a forum should work
2015-5-5
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Quinton Posted at 2015-5-6 00:45
Received my new ND filters today so decided to set up a few tests with the Inspire 1 camera and so f ...

Yep, that's normal.   It's why in old westerns the wagon wheels sometimes appeared to be spinning backwards.

Matching shutter speed to frame rate is important when it comes to repeating patterns (hence a fan) but doesn't really affect typical drone shooting, which is often at a bit of a distance.   

So in this case shutter speed can be used purely to compensate for exposure as well as provide the right degree of motion blur.

Twice the frame rate (1/50 when shooting 25FPS) is the gold standard.   1/25 when shooting 25FPS is more like what an interlaced video camera would shoot and you start getting into the hyper-real, "shooting my kid's soccer game" look rather than looking like a movie.

The NDs help us achieve 1/50 or 1/60, or at least close to it.

In the end that's their only purpose in this scenario.

In the bigger camera world, they would also allow you to control the aperture on the lens, which affects depth of field.   But since the Inspire's aperture is fixed at f/2.8, the only  setting it effects is shutter speed.
2015-5-5
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Hi Genettico,

I think the ND64 is going to be a bit troublesome personally.   

Under normal circumstances (shooting in bright direct sunlight in the middle of the day) it will bring your shutter down to 25 or so, which is too slow.   For me I would prefer the shutter speed to be slightly too fast rather than much too slow.

But beyond that the color shift is likely to be so severe you would have to be a master color timer to get it looking good.     I had a hard enough time with the ND32, but know I can get there with some more tweaking.

Obviously it's reserved for the harshest lighting, like snow.   I don't think water will require it.

So for testing maybe do what I did, which was to use the exposure warning and histogram and use the shutter speed to kill the last bit of overexposure at ISO100 for each ND.   By the time you get to the 64 you will also need to raise the ISO I'm guessing, but this is fine as long as you end up with the same exposure.
2015-5-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules