Missing the point.
830 15 2018-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paulf10
lvl.2
Flight distance : 444091 ft
United States

I’m trying to understand the benefits of the Mavic Air over the Mavic Platinum Pro, but I really just don’t get it. I’ve owned a P4 for about two years and I’ve never even flown a Mavic Air or Platinum Pro, so I don’t have a dog in this hunt as they say. I just don’t get the comparisons being made. For example.........
The Mavic Air is said to be much smaller and easier to transport. Reference is often made to people carrying them in their pocket. But is this even realistic? Forget the lack of protection, the reality is that your going to carry it in a case to hold extra batteries, cables, controller, ND filters, range boosters and other accessories. So the bottom line, a least to me, is not the size of the drone, but the size of the case.  At which point the difference in portability between the Air and the Platinum Pro seems to be negligible.

The next thing is the 8gb internal memory in the Mavic Air. The well touted feature is said to be great in case you forgot your memory card. Seriously? How hard would it be to keep a spare in the case which realistically you need to carry the Mavic Air in.

I haven’t seen any comparisons to the Mavic Air and the Platinum Pro regarding sound. They all compare the Air to the Mavic Pro and in many cases down play the difference.

Speaking of down playing, the battery life is another issue I don’t get. Here again the comparisons are made between the Air And the Pro. The Platinum Pro, with its longer flight time is left out of the picture.

I’m not saying that the Platinum Pro is better than the Air! As I said, I have no experience or preferences for either. What I am saying is that I’m missing the point in the comparisons. In my opinion that’s mainly because I think the comparisons are biased to the Air
2018-3-9
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own both. I like them both for what they are. If I need long range and 30 minutes of flight time I go with the large MPP. If I will be flying within a 1-2 mile radius I prefer the air because it is smaller, a little faster and I like the video quality better. Just my 2 cents
2018-3-9
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

How can a comparison of facts and specification be biased to any drone?

Isn't a comparison aimed at you to decide which specifications you find important so you can make a choice of which aircraft would suit you best?

2018-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 10186312 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think your missing the point all right, there are many differences in both aircraft, MPP has about 7/8 minutes extra battery life it has Ocusync, that’s the difference in hardware from MavAir,
MavAir has an improved camera and videos show this clearly, it has extra obstacle sensors on the back of aircraft.
As regards size and weight MavAir is much smaller folded and unfolded.
The rest of differences are just down to software, MavAir has all the new bells and whistles MPP has a few more flying modes.
They are both different aircraft and really great and so far very good reliability, I don’t believe one is better than the other there just different.
If Mavic 2 is released soon with what most think it will have a 1inch camera sensor I think then a comparison will easily favour Mavic 2 and most likely people will compare it to P4Pro and so the story will go on.
One thing should be taken into account when comparing is the price MavAir is €500 cheaper than Mavic Pro , so for my money if extra time and flying longer distance are not really your thing  then get a MavAir it’s has a better camera is more portable and is a lot cheaper.
2018-3-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14670299 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I own the Mavic Pro Platinum and it has become my favourite drone that I have ever owned, mainly due to the impressive fact that I can not hear it 200' away from me which after flying a P4P is very refreshing.
That said after looking at the specifications and reviews I would have to say that, as current prices stand, the Mavic Air offers more 'bang for buck' IMO. As stated, both have positives over the other - after all, you can't fly a £10,000 Inspire 2 X7 in the same places as a £400 Spark...
2018-3-9
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

I carry the Mavic Air in my EVOC Photop 16ltr bag. It has a compartment at the bottom for mirrorless camera gear which takes one side and the other is perfect for the MA, remote and couple of spare batteries. My ND filters go in a different pocket. Top of the bag is left for snacks, jacket, maps etc. If I had a MPP it would be too big to fit. So yes, for some, the 'marginal' difference in size does matter, the MA for me is the perfect balance.
2018-3-9
Use props
Paulf10
lvl.2
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-9 06:44
How can a comparison of facts and specification be biased to any drone?

Isn't a comparison aimed at you to decide which specifications you find important so you can make a choice of which aircraft would suit you best?

LoSBol,

I think you put it in perfect perspective for me. I’m not sure why I hadn’t made the same observation as you, but now I totally get it
2018-3-9
Use props
MFPullen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6257444 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think a real comparison can be done till the job or reason  you are using it for is defined.  Do you need more flight time...more specific function (like Way points).  Or do you need it for size, price or video quality.  Once those are defined then you will know what you need to compare for your purchase.

Like for me...I am looking for a drone for photographing lighthouses.  Some of these lighthouses are 2000m off the coastline.  I need a portable drone for primary photographs with good range and 20 +  min flight time.  Once I have established what my needs are the comparison is a lot easier.  It does me no good to have the better photos if I cannot get to the lighthouse and back.  So my obvious choice is the Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum.

But if range is not a concern then I go for the Air.    Just outline WHAT you are going to do and the choice is much easier.
2018-3-9
Use props
Paulf10
lvl.2
United States

Paulf10 Posted at 2018-3-9 12:31
LoSBol,

I think you put it in perfect perspective for me. I’m not sure why I hadn’t made the same observation as you, but now I totally get it

The only bias that existed was mine. Many of the features like sound, ocusync, battery life, and range, are important to “me”. Not so much with the camera, price or internal memory.

I seriously thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious to me. I really didn’t realize I was that biased to the Platinum Pro.

Now that I realize I’m somewhat of an idiot, I can take a fresh look at these two drones with a much clearer and objective perspective..

Thank you sir!
2018-3-9
Use props
Paulf10
lvl.2
United States

MFPullen Posted at 2018-3-9 12:54
I don't think a real comparison can be done till the job or reason  you are using it for is defined.  Do you need more flight time...more specific function (like Way points).  Or do you need it for size, price or video quality.  Once those are defined then you will know what you need to compare for your purchase.

Like for me...I am looking for a drone for photographing lighthouses.  Some of these lighthouses are 2000m off the coastline.  I need a portable drone for primary photographs with good range and 20 +  min flight time.  Once I have established what my needs are the comparison is a lot easier.  It does me no good to have the better photos if I cannot get to the lighthouse and back.  So my obvious choice is the Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum.

I agree completely, and thanks to a previous post that is exactly the approach I’m going to take!
I also like to take pictures of Lighthouses and islands off the New England coast, so flight time and range really is an important factor for me.
You people have made some excellent points, and to be perfectly honest, I can’t believe I was so biased as not to think of them. I believe the phrase “ dumber than a bag of hammers” is appropriate here!
2018-3-9
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a MPro, a MProPlat, and now an Air.  Despite popular belief, SIZE MATTERS -- especially if it can still deliver everything you really need!
Battery life is not that big of a deal, if you plan your flights and have invested in a few extra batteries.  
Sound, yes -- MPP is definitely quieter to the human ear.  BUT, local birds hated it!  They flew away as soon as the props switched on.  
With the Air, they don't even look at it-- and will soar along with the Air!

2018-3-9
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Paulf10 Posted at 2018-3-9 12:31
LoSBol,

2018-3-11
Use props
MBrown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 619790 ft
United States

Too bad we cant just upgrade the MP camera with the AIR camera.  To me, thats the only real difference.   Size, weight, speed are splitting hairs.
2018-3-11
Use props
burnham187
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Wish I had the Platinum and Air to compare to my Pro.  Someone want to donate them so I can compare??  It is for a great cause here ;)
2018-3-11
Use props
Paulf10
lvl.2
United States

I’m totally serious! It’s not easy to admit that I could actually be that stupid as to miss the point entirely!
Your post was like getting hit in the head with a sledgehammer!
I thought “seriously? How could I not get that.”
So as a result, I not only get the point of the comparisons, but I can make a decision on which one to buy based upon my needs and not which one everyone else thinks is better! That may sound like a subtle difference, but at least for me it is not!
When everything you read and watch is saying how great the Mavic Air is, and I’m thinking the Platinum Pro is better in many key areas, I just figured how could I be right and everyone else wrong?
Your post just made me look at it totally different!

So once again.... Thank you!

PS......I’m buying the MPP, because I like to do a lot of flying to islands and lighthouses along the New England coast. Also the noise factor alone justifies the extra coast.
At least now I can make the purchase with a clear mind that I’m not making a huge mistake!
2018-3-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Paulf10 Posted at 2018-3-11 07:54
I’m totally serious! It’s not easy to admit that I could actually be that stupid as to miss the point entirely!
Your post was like getting hit in the head with a sledgehammer!
I thought “seriously? How could I not get that.”

Well, all I can say is good on you for not 'boarding the hypetrain' and getting the drone that suits you the best. I'm sure you are going to enjoy your Mavic Pro Platinum   Fly Safe!
2018-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules