Sonic sensor error and crash!!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andrewbritton76
New

Cyprus

Well just my second flight and its ended in disaster!  I was flying over the edge of a cliff and 2 meters out and the phantom 3 lost all controls and descended into the sea (shallow). The monitor reported sonic senor error and said land immediately at which point it was too late! Any idea how I can get the log? So dissapointed!
2015-5-6
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

which mode were you flying?  Should of been in P mode with GPS enabled.  That takes over when visual is not good
2015-5-6
Use props
andrewbritton76
New

Cyprus

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-5-6 23:58
which mode were you flying?  Should of been in P mode with GPS enabled.  That takes over when visual ...

Yes P mode
2015-5-6
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

did you have satellite connection?
2015-5-6
Use props
dlew21
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is this your first Phantom and can you describe more conditions of the crash?  Did you go straight out over the cliff with out a flight test?  Did GPS show green and did you check the sats?  Did you calibrate?
I actually experienced this once with a P2 however I figured this was fixed in the P3.   
2015-5-6
Use props
andrewbritton76
New

Cyprus

dlew21@mac.com Posted at 2015-5-7 01:35
Is this your first Phantom and can you describe more conditions of the crash?  Did you go straight ...

I was actually 9 minutes into the flight and had flown up and down the coast. I then brought it back to me and then flew out over the edge of the mini cliff. As soon as it went over the edge it descended into the sea  I had Gps and everything was fine- calm conditions etc. The only thing I noticed but by which point it was too late was it said on the app "ultrasonic sensor error please land immediately" except I couldnt as there was no control!
2015-5-6
Use props
andrewbritton76
New

Cyprus

andrewbritton76 Posted at 2015-5-7 01:41
I was actually 9 minutes into the flight and had flown up and down the coast. I then brought it ba ...

Sorry I meant to say i had done the compass calibration and it was using the updated firmware too.
2015-5-6
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Thanks for posting this info...  Now I am happy my DJI Phantom 3 has not shipped yet.  When they release a couple of more firmware updates and users stop reporting so many crashes I might be willing to risk flying it.
2015-5-6
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Did you find your Phantom? Since it water-damaged im afraid that you cannot export the data yourself, you need to send it back to us.
2015-5-7
Use props
andrewbritton76
New

Cyprus

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-7 17:16
Did you find your Phantom? Since it water-damaged im afraid that you cannot export the data yourself ...

Hi- Thanks yes it is on the way to germany now - I took it back to my dealer and he has sent it off. Thanks!! I will keep you updated!
2015-5-7
Use props
gboivin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1544416 ft
  • >>>
United States

I too am getting sonic errors. I start the normal order and let phantom sit, acquire sat's and home point. sonic shows ground hight normal. Then all of a sudden I get the error and distance goes way off. All before starting props. I shut off and turn back on, and goes to normal. Any Ideas out there. Yes new firmware, yes compass calibration,
2015-5-7
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I guess its better to switch off the ultrasonic sensors, i will do it until new firmwares will evolve the product
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Really sorry about the situation. That truly truly sucks.

It is the sort of thing we don't want to have to fear. Wonder if it would make sense to disable the sensor when flying outside (99,9% of the time for most people)? Of if that is overreacting? It makes little sense that a malfunctioning sensor should result in loss of power.

/Off-topic/
It makes me wonder if I should be worried about a glitch where the camera seems to turn off, the Pilot App says "loss of signal", but it flies perfectly. However, the camera seems to reboot, the gimbal does its dance (still flying), the video that it was recording it seems to restore (like you would restore a video by restarting the Phantom) with the telltale sign of a videofile with the date of 31th of December 2013.
2015-5-7
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why not disable it? Unless you fly inside there is little use for it. I've gotten the error and I happen to disagree with the official DJI statement of "it can't cause problems". I even spoke to a UAV engineer (government employee as well as custom builder) and asked him straight out "can the sonar and camera array result in machine malfunctions?"

His answer? "Sure they can". He further explained:
"the camera system could interrupt what it sees incorrectly. The "onar could read a bounced signal from a wall as whats below it. Then crash or fly away or....

I'm glad DJI employees have faith in the products and software - I do also. But, all machines can have problems and all systems have bugs.
Granted my engineer friend is not talking about DJI specifically - but their sonar and camera are no different than others.

The only real question here is whether you are using those sensors for your flying? I'm not, so they are off.
2015-5-7
Use props
andrewbritton76
New

Cyprus

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-8 09:24
Why not disable it? Unless you fly inside there is little use for it. I've gotten the error and I ha ...

Thanks! I really hope that when it gets to Germany they can decipher what happened as I am confident It was not pilot error. I had no control over the drone and it descended into the water. I also hope the flight recorder in the drone is at least waterproof.  It is interesting that I was flying over bright limescale rock that was dazzling white at the time with the camera facing straight down. The bright rock ends abruptly and as soon as I flew over the darker sea it descended into the water
2015-5-8
Use props
hendryx32
lvl.2
United States

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131309807@N03/shares/9vC30s
I go the the error too, I was allowed to fly still, Im sorry to say but it could be user error. Thats just my two cents it was still picking up gps signal and stayed at the right altitude.
2015-5-8
Use props
andrewbritton76
New

Cyprus

hendryx32@gmail Posted at 2015-5-9 01:41
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131309807@N03/shares/9vC30s
I go the the error too, I was allowed to f ...

Pretty sure it wasnt pilot error but I cant be sure that the ultasonic sensor was what caused it to go down. But it was going down and there is nothing I could do as it was unresponsive and app said ultrasonic sensor error.
2015-5-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since you have contacted DJI Germany, I would allow them to analyze the data to determine what happened.  This has been discussed on RCG.  The data is inconclusive and our service center should be able to sort it out.
2015-5-8
Use props
leekiya
New

United Kingdom

Hi have you had any news back from dji yet, hope things are getting sorted for you. Learnt about this and the 2 other problems over on phantom pilots last week. hope things are getting sorted for everyone involved and of course dji are getting to the route of the problem. But concerned that we have not learnt anything from dji on how these few crafts have gone down and if it is indeed a problem at the moment and if a firmware update can correct it. They had a few problems from the start with the inspire, but they corrected that problem very quickly with a firmware update. Its been just over a week now since the first legitimate report, and we have still not learnt anything from dji on the matter which worrys me a little. While i was happy to learn of the new firmware update yesterday, i was all so hoping for the news that the update came because a problem had been recognised concerning the few selected crashes and been corrected with the new firmware update. Lets hope for something soon guys.
2015-5-9
Use props
peter.isiqhalo
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi all , I am a new user and had the same issue ( sonic sensor) testing and learning in a "controlled" environment .  So I still need to figure where to switch it off
2015-5-9
Use props
john
New

United States

andrewbritton76 Posted at 2015-5-7 22:19
Hi- Thanks yes it is on the way to germany now - I took it back to my dealer and he has sent it of ...

I just sent in my Phantom in for repair.  The 2.4 data link never worked from day one. They said it will take 4-6 weeks to repair and don't contact us.  Hope you get better service in Germany and the USA.
2015-5-9
Use props
todd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1063389 ft
  • >>>
United States

Qucik video I put together.

2015-5-10
Use props
powerjosl
lvl.1

Australia

why are you posting that video here?
2015-5-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

powerjosl Posted at 2015-5-12 14:40
why are you posting that video here?

I think he posted it to illustrate that you can fly off a cliff witout the ultrasonic sensor crashing the bird.
2015-5-12
Use props
espinosa.josero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8320 ft
United States

I had the same error of the "ultrasonic system erros" and my quad make the same movement like this other guy on the next link.

In my case the phantom hit the ground and hit the camara... now I cannot take pictures or video... the image is still shown but at the time I want to take a picture the screen goes all black, the GPS connection goes to "NO SIGNAL" and after 6 seconds it is all normal again....

I suggest that everyone now has to deactivate the sensors until an upgrade comes out.

2015-5-13
Use props
arthurbuquen
lvl.1

France

by sensors you guys mean the vps ?
2015-5-13
Use props
espinosa.josero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8320 ft
United States

arthurbuquen@gm Posted at 2015-5-13 23:58
by sensors you guys mean the vps ?

Yes it is a sensor
2015-5-14
Use props
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
lvl.1

India

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-8 15:45
Since you have contacted DJI Germany, I would allow them to analyze the data to determine what happened.  This has been discussed on RCG.  The data is inconclusive and our service center should be able to sort it out.

<h1>Ww</h1>
2022-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules