Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
had my first disconect with app
4414 32 2015-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rogeruzun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325659 ft
United States

I had my first little incident with the app.  I was close to my home point, about 40ft altitude and the app suddenly went black and white and said "disconnected".  It  stayed that way for 5 secs or so then re-established video connection and was normal after that.

I never lost control of the aircraft and it was very close so I could see it easily.  I could still fly and control it fine.  I guess it's an app issue internal to the tablet etc?  Like I said it wasn't a long disconnect with the app only about 5 secs or so but it scared me.

Any idea why it would do this?  I flew several times after that and never had any issues, and I have flown it for more than a week now and it never happened before.

I am using the android app 1.1.0 and a Google Nexus II (2013) tablet running android 5.1

-Roger Uzun

2015-5-6
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

My guess would be that since you still had control of the P3, then the controller was still working ok - just dropped the video signal (lightbridge) back to the controller/tablet.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but they operate independently of each other?  Hence the reason for two antennas?  Could nearby WiFi signals have interfered with it?  I used to have this issue a LOT with my P2 Vision, I always had control of the P2 but the video signal back to my phone would drop out, especially if there was a lot of nearby radio/WiFi signals.  I'm glad the vision came back for you a few seconds later (and the P3 was physically close to you, not a mile away!) - but yes it always worries me when I lose the transmitted vision signal.
2015-5-6
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

it would be good to have some view of logs to see what happened.  Perhaps worth contacting DJI Tech Support. At least the controller enabled you to keep control.
2015-5-6
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

It can be related to the connection between device and RC.
A loose wire connection might cause the device disconnected with RC. But if it happened during flight, the aircraft will automatically return to home.
I think you can change a cable.
2015-5-6
Use props
wiski23
lvl.2

New Zealand

I had 5 total disconnection issues on 1 battery today. The longest lasting about a minute. Luckily it was close so I could hover about but not an issue I want. I still had control over the ph3. I think the new update is bugged...
I never had 1 disconnect issue on my inspire?
2015-5-7
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

There are a few people reporting disconnects after the updates and I am sure they cannot all be cable related.  

Was yours on Android?  I saw other which were.  I think there are enough to report them to DJI for investigation.  

One this thread http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=13556 we were discussing the choice of Android tablet.

User “jasper7821” said “Edit to my above post that the Nvidia Shield works great. After playing with the P3 Pro the app keeps disconnecting the. Reconnecting. It will do it several times then it stays disconnected. I cannot get it back up by closing and reopening. I have to fly back and power down the quad, and Transmitter, then restart the app and it will then work but only for a few minutes then it starts disconnecting again.  Hopefully it's just my Shield that has a problem, I'll delete the app and reinstall to see if it helps.”

User “rog3rba11” said “I got version 1.0.10 to work with my TAB 4 7 inch, but on both flights I lost connectivity with  the Phantom 3 while flying.  My 5 previous flights with the old version of the app, gave me no issues and I never lost connectivity with the Phantom 3.  All flights were completed in the same area, my backyard!”

I think they should be logged and investigated as they are across mulktiple devices.
2015-5-7
Use props
mbausman
lvl.1

United States

I am still waiting on my Phantom 3 from B&H Photo but, I had this problem several times with my P2 and found that a setting on my phone ( Note 4) was the culprit. In your wifi settings, make sure you have unchecked the box that allows your phone or tablet to connect automatically with better wifi. If your signal gets week or distorted, your device may temporarily connect to a new wifi source.

May not be the problem but, certainly took care of mine once discovered

2015-5-7
Use props
wiski23
lvl.2

New Zealand

I sat my p3 in my living room just now and powered it up to try a few things.... Total 7 recorded disconnections (recorded) with my iPhone for proof. Longest was 45 seconds. I  tried 3 cables. Its definetly not a cable issue.... I have the iPad Air 2 which worked fine on my inspire.  will try it again with my iPhone 6plus tomorrow.... Come on Dji sort this issue!!
2015-5-7
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

mbausman Posted at 2015-5-7 18:39
I am still waiting on my Phantom 3 from B&H Photo but, I had this problem several times with my P2 a ...

Good point!  I'll try with wifi switched off.  Better safe than sorry.
2015-5-7
Use props
mbausman
lvl.1

United States

Dont switch off or it will not connect at all simply make sure smart connect or smart network is not active see the attached screen shot.
2015-5-7
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325659 ft
United States

I flew quite a bit today and had no disconnect.  Like I said in the original post I've only had the one disconnect and it only lasted about 5-10 secs max.  But it was odd.  Copter was very close to me, I never lost flight control of the copter.  Just lost app control and the app said disconnected.

At the time the Asus Nexus 7 II had its wifi off, and I was on a hiking trail.

2015-5-7
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

mbausman Posted at 2015-5-7 22:28
Dont switch off or it will not connect at all simply make sure smart connect or smart network is not ...

Why? I thought it connects with an USB cable to the remote? Why not deactivate wifi on your phone/tablet?
2015-5-7
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have had this happen a couple times and other users are reporting - all with Android so far from what I see.
I think it's a bug. No other reason for it to drop when within 100 feet......

I've flown 8 or 9 flights and it happened during 2 of them......arbitrarily.
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Are you sure it is not the same thing that happens to me (and others), described here?

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &extra=page%3D1
2015-5-7
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

Turning off wifi/celullar wont do anything..... The P3 is not like the P2V that FPV via wifi....
2015-5-7
Use props
imdjay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194541 ft
  • >>>
United States

2 flights today 5, and 8 minutes, no disconnect with my droid turbo (though my eyes were mostly on the craft)
2015-5-7
Use props
julian_hancock
New

United Kingdom

Hi Roger

I took delivery on Wednesday of my P3. After I have done all the relevant firmware updates, during first flights I had the disconnect/connection in every single flight with tedious regularity.

I use an Apple iPhone 6+
I have tried different cables, reinstalled the app tried a different phone, the iPhone 6 all with the same results.

Thanks

Julian
2015-5-8
Use props
abrister
lvl.1
Flight distance : 89974 ft
United States

I have had the same issue with my P3 pro. It constantly disconnects from the app while I'm trying to do my initial setup which has made me nervous about actually trying to get it off the ground because I'm not sure if the controls are affected or not.
I am running firmware 1.6

2015-5-8
Use props
sheinisch
lvl.1

Germany

Okay, also I have done my first flights at higher distances and heights today. I was across some open fields towards a radio-tower. Sounds worse than it was...

At a distance of app. 130m and a height of app. 40m, the connection to the app did break up. Distance to the radio-tower was app. 500m.

First it went red for signal loss and the lightbridge-video went black, then the app showed disconnected. This happened while I was recording the flight. I instantly pressed the RTH-button. On the video, which does not show any sign of failure, you see that the Phantom receives the RTH ... or decides on it's own to go into RTH-mode: It turns and and dashes back towards the starting point.

5 seconds later the connection was re-established and I could cancel the RHT. So, anything fine - but a strange feeling remains.

Regards,
*Sven*

(Firmware 1.1.8, iPad Air 1)
2015-5-10
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

sheinisch@headl Posted at 2015-5-10 18:35
Okay, also I have done my first flights at higher distances and heights today. I was across some ope ...

I have the exact same problem - ipad mini 2, you can see what is happening by typing in "dji pilot app disconnecting" on youtube (for some reason it wont let me put the link here...)

I have use 2 different cables and the sim card isnt working in it, so it has nothing to do with the cables, and nothing to do with it being 3g/4g/wifi...

Any ideas on how to fix this DJI?
2015-5-13
Use props
gnemie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 374678 ft
United Kingdom

subscribed - just testing earlier and disconnected 5 times   IPad air 2, latest firmware
2015-5-13
Use props
s_nyky.yahoo
lvl.2

Canada

gnemie Posted at 2015-5-14 05:18
subscribed - just testing earlier and disconnected 5 times   IPad air 2, latest firmware

I have had three flights now, and I have had multiple disconnections on each flight! So far it has not affected the flight controls, but it does make me nervous. I am using a brand new iPad mini 3. Seriously hope they figure this out soon FFS.
2015-5-13
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

s_nyky.yahoo Posted at 2015-5-14 05:47
I have had three flights now, and I have had multiple disconnections on each flight! So far it has ...

it would be nice wouldn't it.

Is there any official word from DJI about it? Do they know about this problem? - Is it fixable in a new firmware update?
2015-5-14
Use props
ReppocMike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1627667 ft
Finland

paulsheaves@hot Posted at 2015-5-14 16:30
it would be nice wouldn't it.

Is there any official word from DJI about it? Do they know about th ...

Check that you tablet is non WiFi mode.  When I use my Nexus 9 with WiFi, lost signal appear several time.  I lost my video signal but not control signal. Same happened when I fly near cellular tower.  All these are mentoned user manual. But still I also have mystic grey screen signal lost.
2015-5-14
Use props
mjyatess
lvl.1

United Kingdom

For what it's worth when I've been flying in one specific park near my house I get disconnected every 30 seconds on my Nexus 5, but when I've been to other places and used my friends iPhone 6 I've had no issues. Could be the park, the phone, the cable, I have no idea.
2015-5-14
Use props
ara9112003
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

That is happening on iPad mini 2  :

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid121539
2015-5-14
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

mjyatess Posted at 2015-5-14 18:05
For what it's worth when I've been flying in one specific park near my house I get disconnected ever ...

I've found this too but ONLY when wifi is enabled.  The system works find without wifi on your tablet.  You can either disable the connect to available networks or just switch it off.  I've had no disconnections on either my nVidia Shield or iPad since trying this approach.... touch wood.
2015-5-14
Use props
s_nyky.yahoo
lvl.2

Canada

jon.jongodfrey Posted at 2015-5-14 18:31
I've found this too but ONLY when wifi is enabled.  The system works find without wifi on your tab ...

I have been flying without the wifi on. I also had it in airplane mode, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I will turn that off today to see.
2015-5-14
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

mbausman Posted at 2015-5-7 22:28
Dont switch off or it will not connect at all simply make sure smart connect or smart network is not ...

You can turn Wifi OFF on the tablet and you will still get a light bridge connection.  The Lightbridge connects to the phone via USB.  (Not Wifi.)

Wifi on the tablet will simply interfere with the light bridge radios.  Wifi on the tablet is COMPETING for bandwidth.  Not helping.
2015-5-14
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

jon.jongodfrey Posted at 2015-5-14 18:31
I've found this too but ONLY when wifi is enabled.  The system works find without wifi on your tab ...

What FW version are you using Jon?
2015-5-14
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

digitaldave Posted at 2015-5-14 22:51
What FW version are you using Jon?

sorry for the slow replies... I've been away.

I have latests software and firmware.  I have tested both nVidia Shield and iPad Min 3.  
2015-5-18
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

jon.jongodfrey Posted at 2015-5-18 23:24
sorry for the slow replies... I've been away.

I have latests software and firmware.  I have teste ...

Thanks. Ive taken your advice and always keep WiFi and BT off and have had no disconnect problems. I did however take a flight on my street in the afternoon (instead of heading out to the park) and noticed I had terrible interference with FPV. I chalked it up to my neighbors using a lot of 2.4ghz bandwidth as later flights were fine. I also think its a good thing to remember as a possible hiccup if I was ever to use the drone to photograph a house. :-S

Anyway thanks again!
2015-5-18
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

digitaldave Posted at 2015-5-18 23:33
Thanks. Ive taken your advice and always keep WiFi and BT off and have had no disconnect problems. ...

yes, I try to remember to take a quick look in the App and see how busy all the channels are.  There are SO many wireless devices around it can get very busy.
2015-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules