Cheap tablet that works!!
12Next >
28375 42 2015-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jakeemon
lvl.1

New Zealand

First time poster, long time reader here.

Got my new phantom 3 yesterday and promptly went out to buy a tablet. What I got was a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 lite for $249 NZD. At first I found it very slow with high lag times and app keep freezing to which I had to reboot to recover. However as I am only using this for the Phantom and nothing else I found a good work around for the problem.

I downloaded Clean Master from Google Play and disabled ALL non necessary background preinstalled apps. I'm not kidding or exagerating when I say I disabled 60 apps!!!! These apps were factory installed and most of them ran in the background and were not needed. I disabled ALL google rubbish, ALL samsung preloaded apps, e-book readers, photo viewers, background updaters, etc etc etc.

Saved HEAPS of RAM and lightbridge now streams my FPV video flawlessly. Will keep you posted on how it goes tomorrow!! So don't rush out to buy the most expensive tablet with the fastest processor if you are going to use the tablet only for the Phantom.

Cheers
Jake

2015-5-29
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Wow! Thanks for that post! I need to see if that Clean Master will also work on an Android phone!
2015-5-30
Use props
migs
lvl.1

United Kingdom

@jake

Any update on this at all?

I have an iPad 3, which I knew wasn't compatible with the P3P when I placed the order, so I really only need a tablet for drone itself.

Given that I can get a Nexus 7 II for half the price of an iPad Mini 2, and have no allegiance to either Android or iOS (I'm a Windows Phone user but DJI deem us worthless), I'm leaning towards the Nexus II but with reservations.

Any further comments you can add to this would be helpful.
2015-6-1
Use props
ditzlerphoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37470 ft
  • >>>
United States

migs Posted at 2015-6-1 20:10
@jake

I have an iPad3 as well. IMO it is too big to use with this anyway even if it could work which it doesn't.

I bought a used Google Nexus II (2013) as it's listed on Amazon for $104 and it works great. As a backup I also have an iPhone 5s which also works fine but I like having the Nexus for using with the Phantom 3.

I had the original Nexus 7 and it was decent for hardware but the second version is much nicer especially with the updated Android system on it. I think it makes an awesome companion for the Phantom 3 and for the price it is really awesome. The weigh and size I think is perfect on the controller. It could use a sun shade which I haven't sourced out but other than that I think it is perfect. I played with an iPad mini in the Apple store but even though I'm an apple guy I like the Nexus 7 for my Phantom. It keep it right in my backpack with the phantom and the rest of the accessories.

Nexus 7 (2013) 16Gb wifi
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVFLJDS

Also if you are going to use this where you don't have wifi simply launch the DJI Pilot app and pan and zoom around to where you think you will be flying. The app with cache the maps and there is nothing else to do as far as I can tell. If you fly in a new area it will still show you the position on the screen but will have no map data under the position graphics.
2015-6-1
Use props
migs
lvl.1

United Kingdom

That seals it then, a Nexus 7 II it is.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated
2015-6-1
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12100 ft
United States

I went on amazon and found a Samsung TAB 4   8"  tablet for under $200. I will have to try the cleaner on it also.
2015-6-1
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

dont get clean master. if your device is rooted you can manually uninstall these dumb apps.
2015-6-1
Use props
Kotaix 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 932228 ft
  • >>>
Chile

Hi there,
Don't you have any lag after the update to the 1.1.9 firmware?
Best wishes!
2015-6-12
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've seen a few people say even the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite works well ($99).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=UGLCQ2JWXH3R43FY

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-12
Use props
przemek
lvl.2
Poland

I've also thought about Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite, however I've ended up with Samsung Galaxy 4 7.0, which is also very cheap and more than enough for me.
I use it only as "screen" for my phantom, so all unnecessary applications are uninstalled or disabled. Works great for me !
2015-6-17
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160860 ft
United States

migs Posted at 2015-6-1 20:10
@jake

We just bought the Nexus and we are having a very hard time with it compared to an iPad or iPhone. The app itself that is downloaded to the nexus has bugs and has just randomly crashed on us mid flight, which has been scary. We are hoping the kinks get ironed out, but we have switched back to our iPhone for the time being until we know the app is fixed.
2015-6-17
Use props
migs
lvl.1

United Kingdom

That's interesting, because I went for the Nexus II and it's been terrific so far, no problems at all.
2015-6-18
Use props
trevorheath
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20463 ft
New Zealand

I bought the same tablet as top poster Samsung Galalxy Tab 3 Lite, downloaded Clean Master also but still have too much lag. I'm probably scared of disabling too many things on the tablet and stuffing it up I suppose. I will give it another go though...I have rooted device so will try this method also.
2015-6-25
Use props
Flying Gecko
lvl.1

China

Hey guys,
After reading and reading and reading. And then reading some more on this subject, I was down to choosing between a proven Nexus 7II (2013) and a Chinese, cheap but powerful Xiaomi Mipad.
I work on my Macbook Pro every day, carry an iPhone and have an old iPad. I just didn't want to splash on a iPad since I hardly ever used my old one, so I had a feeling any new tab would be used almost exclusively for flying.
I live in China and both the Nexus 7II and the Xiaomi Mipad can be had for about USD 110-130 second-hand.

In the end, I went with a cheap Xiaomi Mipad.
Hardware-wise it punches substantially above its price and should be much more powerful than the Nexus 7II. Its high res "Retina" screen seems OK so far though I need to stick a matte screen protector on it and get a proper hood.

You can expand it's internal memory by adding a MicroSD card (I don't think the Nexus has that option, nor of course the iPads). It's not a biggie at all, but if I do end up using it more, it will likely be for viewing movies on long flights and storing footage for inspiration, so there it could come in handy. The internal memory on my tab is 16gb (it might come in a 65gb version, can't recall).

I couldn't get the Pilot app to connect when I first installed it but a simple reboot solved that. Also, once in a while the DJI Pilot app wont open from "sleep" but it sounds worse than it is. If I kill the app, and open it from scratch works (closing apps works the same as on an iOS device). So, that's my MO now and I haven't had any grief since adopting it.

Apart from having to remember to start the Pilot app fresh and not from sleep, on the few flights so far, it has behaved impeccably. No issues at all.

While the Nexus has a GPS in it (I think), the Xiaomi Mipad doesn't and this could be a deal-breaker for some.
Since I am still just learning to fly it hasn't been an issue yet. But without a GPS on the controller side I can't change Home Point to the controller nor will I be able to use "Follow-me" modes once they get implemented.

The way around that would be to hook up the tab to a Bluetooth GPS or a phone with GPS. The tab can do that (just not with iPhones, I think). But I don't know if the Bluetooth is a source of interference best avoided.

Anyways, for the USD 130 I paid for this thing, I am happy that I am flying and have no real issues.

BTW, I agree with the folks who have said anything lower than 8'' starts getting tricky. My first flight was on an iPhone 6 and I have to say that I don't think I can go back to anything smaller than the equivalent of an iPad Mini. (I think the Nexus is a tad smaller, but probably not much at all).
2015-7-18
Use props
Medevon
lvl.2
New Zealand

Haha...I'm in the same position as you!
I got a P3 Pro, but my current tablet was too old!

So I got an 8" Android Nextbook (https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/sh ... let/prod131632.html) for only $110! 1GB ram, quad core, more than enough for what I need really... It was on a super special, so I took advantage haha!

I also got clean master as soon as I got it! Sooooooo good....helps with the delays & jerks, but there's still the odd one here and there...
2015-7-18
Use props
tcoleyrn
lvl.2

United States

I have been using the Nexus 7 (2013) tablet without problems for about 1 month now. I disable all running apps before flight and I put the tablet in airplane mode to disable wifi/gps/notifications. I also completely power it down and reboot it before every flight to clear caches and such (takes about 30 seconds). I have MANY apps installed on it and use it daily for other stuff as well because my kids took over our other tablets SO this is "daddys helicopter tablet" and they aren't allowed to use it....lol. I purchased new on Amazon for $165. I hope this helps and feel free to ask questions...
2015-7-19
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Galaxy tab 3 7" of my doughter is NOT working with DJI app.
But cheap and much better tablet is Lenovo S8-50 - works fine, 1080p screen, 2 GB ram, and 4 core powerful atom cpu.
2015-7-19
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

I have my Galaxy tab over clocked for when the phantom arrives
2015-7-19
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

ditzlerphoto Posted at 2015-6-1 21:50
I have an iPad3 as well. IMO it is too big to use with this anyway even if it could work which it  ...

Thanks for the info, sir. A Nexus 7 is going to be for me!
2015-7-19
Use props
ckb93
New

United States

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-13 11:24
I've seen a few people say even the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite works well ($99).
http://www.amazon.co ...

heard anything about the Galaxy tab 4?
2015-7-28
Use props
amckim2084
lvl.1
Flight distance : 606083 ft
United States

Will the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 lite work for P3 Standard with wifi?
2015-9-26
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

The nvidia shield work flawlessly with p3 and is not expensive.
2015-9-26
Use props
Specboy
lvl.1

United States

My Asus Nexus 7 (2013) works perfectly....   When the P3A has signal.  No lagging whatsoever and It's a great tablet.

~SB
2015-9-26
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

ditzlerphoto Posted at 2015-6-1 08:50
I have an iPad3 as well. IMO it is too big to use with this anyway even if it could work which it  ...

I have an iPad mini 2 wifi only and it works fine.  But I am wanting and android device so I can play around with the Lichi app.  The Nexus 7 (2013) sounds promising.  Something I am not sure about though is when I hear the android users talk about using this and that to disable and remove items that run in the background.  Do all apps you install on an android run in the background?  Or are those just certain apps that are installed that way?   Is there a list of these (need to be removed) apps on the Nexus 7 (2013) model or are they easy to identify?

Thanks
2015-9-26
Use props
Specboy
lvl.1

United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-26 09:27
I have an iPad mini 2 wifi only and it works fine.  But I am wanting and android device so I can p ...

Nexus Devices are stripped down to the bare minimum out of the box for everyday use.  (It's google's Development Platform).  There may be additional google features that you do not want or need that you have the option to turn off but overall the Nexus platform is pretty minimalist in terms of apps.  Android typically has background programs that run and keeps a "suspended" copy of any apps you have recently used in the background for quick access (so you can pick up right where you left off).  If you use the tablet for other things, you will see these apps by tapping on the right "softkey" to and you will want to close them to ensure best performance of the tablet (but that is easy).   Easiest thing is to make sure all app updates are completed and then reboot the tablet before flight (so you don't have apps auto-updating during flight).

That said, It's a pretty powerful tablet and should provide you with no problems.  Especially with a greater than FHD screen.

~SB
2015-9-26
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

iPad air 2 for $349  is still the best deal out, imho...
2015-9-26
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-30 07:13
Wow! Thanks for that post! I need to see if that Clean Master will also work on an Android phone!

Be careful with Clean Master on your PHONE. If you overdo it PHONE capabilities of your phone might not work anymore.

Bat
2015-9-26
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

myhondas Posted at 2015-6-1 13:54
I went on amazon and found a Samsung TAB 4   8"  tablet for under $200. I will have to try the clean ...

Have you tried it with DJI APP and flown the Drone with it.
2015-9-26
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Michael M Posted at 2015-6-1 20:08
dont get clean master. if your device is rooted you can manually uninstall these dumb apps.

But if you Root, you also loose warranty.
Bat
2015-9-26
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Specboy Posted at 2015-9-26 10:10
Nexus Devices are stripped down to the bare minimum out of the box for everyday use.  (It's google ...

Thanks for the help on the Nexus and I have ordered one.   Do apps always auto update or can you turn that off like on the iOS devices?  I never thought about rebooting before I fly but that really is not a bad idea no matter what device probably.  If you reboot do you lose the cached basemap though? But I bet that gets stored in the GO app folders though.  

@dji.blitzk -  You are right the iPad Air 2 is a great device. . But it will not run the lichi app.   I have ordered an iPad Air 2 as well because of the barometer and the great price on them right now.
2015-9-26
Use props
Specboy
lvl.1

United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-26 12:25
Thanks for the help on the Nexus and I have ordered one.   Do apps always auto update or can you tu ...

You can specify whether you want an app to not auto-update.  by default, all apps auto-update but you can also configure to Auto-update over WiFi only, then shut off the WiFi connection.  I've not see an issue with losing a map and often times I don't shut down the Nexus before flying as it has more than enough power for now.  I haven't tried Litchi yet.  need to be more comfortable with the P3 and get a stable firmware version working correctly before moving on.

~SB
2015-9-26
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Specboy Posted at 2015-9-26 17:33
You can specify whether you want an app to not auto-update.  by default, all apps auto-update but  ...

I wanted to thank you for your help and tell you that I received the Nexus 7 (2013) version today and I played around with it a bit and got it working with the GO app but with some really bad video problems.  I then updated to a new version of android 5.1 and after the install and reboot etc.  I pulled up the GO app and it was amazing clear and responsive.  I took it for a spin and all seems to be working great just like you said.  This will work fine for my Litchi App and I will have  a lot of studying to do before I use it there.   So this device will be for Litchi and I will use my iPad Air 2 (I just got it this week also they were on sale!) or IPad Mini 2 with the GO app.
2015-9-30
Use props
riverman13
New
Flight distance : 68310 ft
United States

I know a lot of people ask the same thing, but I need a cheaper 7" tablet for my Phantom 3 standard. there are a lot of diff tablets out there. I am using my gal 5s and it works Good but want something bigger to see. So what does my Gal 5s have that others don't? What is it that a tablet REALLY NEEDS to run the DJI GO app?  
2016-2-17
Use props
ishtarbgl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53323 ft
  • >>>
United States

riverman13 Posted at 2016-2-17 15:02
I know a lot of people ask the same thing, but I need a cheaper 7" tablet for my Phantom 3 standard. ...

I thought this was a pretty good question.  I would also be interested to know what would be considered the bare minimum to have for a good tablet to use with the Phantom 3 Standard?  A previous poster seemed to allude to putting his tablet in airplane mode before flying?  How does the tablet communicate with the drone in airplane mode?
2016-4-19
Use props
solly747
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68301 ft
Australia

How did you go?
2016-12-27
Use props
patria
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34826 ft
United States

I just got a P3S and saw a deal on the tab E lite so I decided to pick it up. I tested it last night with the DJI go app and it worked for the most part. I haven't used it for an extended period of time so I'm not sure if it will quit unexpectedly yet. I do notice that there is a little bit of lag with the video feed. I've done a bit of reading on a few forums and it sounds like I need to clear the tab of everything except DJI go. I've gone through and uninstalled what I can and stopped most of the other pre installed apps. I'm assuming I'm going to have to root the tablet to uninstall them. I'm an apple user so the android is fairly foreign to me. Are there some apps that I should not get rid of, or should I just wipe everything? Thanks for any advice!
2016-12-29
Use props
TMM777
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3763 ft
United States

Great post. This is a topic that affects everyone. Is Clean master the best choice for android to clean apps? I am using a Nexus 7 and it needed some massaging to make work but works well now.
2017-9-19
Use props
TMM777
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3763 ft
United States

migs Posted at 2015-6-18 13:34
That's interesting, because I went for the Nexus II and it's been terrific so far, no problems at all.

Would you be willing to post your efforts in getting the Nexus 7, 2013 to work. Settings and apps needed to get the tablet ready for use with the DJI go 4 app.

This area is one of the most troublesome areas for someone just starting out. Your help will be great for a lot of people.
2017-9-19
Use props
fansfa188f77
lvl.1
United States

Hey Jake, I just got a Tab A, I’m New to android… Can you walk me through disabling all of the apps on here to make this work great? Thank you in advance
2017-12-19
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfa188f77, check out this article for detailed steps to setup DJI GO on an Android device.
2017-12-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules