Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Pilot app and Galaxy Tab s 10.5: Choppy video error
4205 18 2015-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
emil.tanem
lvl.1

Norway

My Galaxy tab S 10.5 is updating the videoscreen about once every second. That's 1FPS!
Is anyone else using this tablet? Is it just mine or is it completely useless for this app? Everything else on the tablet seem to work smooth and well.

Btw. Please don't spam this thread with experience from other unrelated devices.. This is about the Galaxy tab S 10.5
2015-5-30
Use props
Dude
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

My galaxy tab S 8 is doing the same thing. I'm not sure when it started as I haven't been flying too much. I recently installed lollipop on my galaxy and even the app was slow to respond. Every time I hit a button, it wouldn't take effect for about a second. I then attached my HTC phone and it was much better. Not sure if it's the app not liking lollipop or the galaxy itself, although it has worked well before. Anyone?
2015-5-30
Use props
emil.tanem
lvl.1

Norway

I'm on 4.4.2 KitKat
2015-5-31
Use props
Prax
lvl.2

France

No problem here.
Galaxy Tab s 10.5
4.4.2 KitKat
USB Debugging Mode activated
2015-5-31
Use props
emil.tanem
lvl.1

Norway

I just did a series of testflights with an ipad air (1) and and my galaxy tab s 10.5
The Air runs smooth. The samsung is still showing a constant lag althugh not nearly as bad as it was yesterday. I did a complete factory reset before the test.
So what I have atm is an expensive tablet that can't do anything but run the pilot app and it doesn't even do that well.

How are you guys doing? I'm considering to return it to the store but not sure what to replace it with.
2015-5-31
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

I updated my android app yesterday. Before smooth as glass. Now choppy and at times completely locks up and I have to restart the app also at times restart the tablet.

I tried on two other android tablets and all experience the same issue
2015-5-31
Use props
Navigator53
lvl.2

United States

I have the choppy/studders on the Galaxy S 10.5 as well.

Installed CCleaner, turned off all apps I don't need, junk cleanup, memory cleanup and it's till there.

Awesome display, just wish it would work as well as the Nvidia Shield, don't know what else to try guys?
2015-5-31
Use props
Prax
lvl.2

France

Navigator53 Posted at 2015-6-1 01:43
I have the choppy/studders on the Galaxy S 10.5 as well.

Installed CCleaner, turned off all apps I  ...

I'm using the 1.0.10 version of the Dji pilot and it's perfectly smooth.
2015-5-31
Use props
emil.tanem
lvl.1

Norway

I'm also on 1.0.10 and it's horrible as I've described.
2015-5-31
Use props
Prax
lvl.2

France

Did you guys find a solution?
2015-6-5
Use props
justin.mah
lvl.1

Canada

I have a Galaxy Tab S 8.4", and I'm running into a similar issue.

Actually what happens to me is that the Pilot app video feed runs fine initially.

However, the longer I fly for, the choppier and choppier my video feed gets, to the point where it is less than 1 FPS... it may refresh 1 frame every 5-15 seconds.
All controller functions work fine, the Inspire has no issue responding to my controls (thankfully).

I saw this thread on another forum, flying a Phantom 3 who seems to be having the exact same problem as I am:

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/dji-pilot-app-from-dji-freezes-while-flying.44130/

So, got a new P3P and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 16GB tablet. I downloaded the DJI Pilot app directly from DJI, not the Google app store. Every time I fly, the longer I fly, the slower and choppier the FPV gets until ultimately, the app just hangs. I close the app and kill it completely and reopen it and it remains hung. In fact, the entire tablet acts like it is overloaded. After landing, I turn off the controller and *poof*, the tablet springs back to life.

It is almost like the USB data feed from the controller is overwhelming the tablet and once that feed shuts off, the tablet can function again.

Anyone else have any experiences like this, or, any insights?

I haven't tried shutting off the controller and turning it back on. The most I've done was shut down the app and restart it (but it doesn't fix anything, the video feed remains as choppy as it was earlier). I'm going to try to shut down the controller and restarting it (after landing the bird of course).

This is NOT acceptable. I don't know what happened with the firmwares but it started happening after the 1.2.1.06 firmware (previously on 1.2.0.17..... I didn't want to update to 1.2.1.0 after reading all the battery issues)

2015-6-6
Use props
Prax
lvl.2

France

i did the last fw update and few test flights yesterday and i'am now experiencing similar issue.
2015-6-7
Use props
ibrahimquayum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101175 ft
Bangladesh

dI am also using the Tab S with the Same issue. Don't want to buy iPad only for this app. The problem is DJI Pilot android version is not optimized for latest android and i think that's the problem. Hope DJI will fix it soon.
2015-6-7
Use props
daniel.frederik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10656 ft
New Zealand

Am using a galaxy tab4 and had the problems being discussed. I can only add that they passed with out any help on my part, i assumed the tab4 was doing some resource intensive maintenance and once that was complete it ran as i expected it to.
Good luck!
2015-6-7
Use props
gmklinefelter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 804058 ft
United States

I am new to the forum and only have 10 hours of flight time with my inspire.  I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Model SCH-1925 running Android 4.1.2 Kernel version 3.0.31-1481943.  I have the same problem.  The longer I fly, the screen fails to update and slows until there are no updates at all.  Fortunately I was able to activate the RTH from the controller.  I have tried resetting the device, but that doesn't seem to matter.  Could it be temperature related?  I have turned off all of the notification settings for all apps on the device.  I always go into task manager and shut down any apps prior to flying.  Everything is up to date with my Inspire software.  I started to have this issue about two weeks ago.  It was a hot day with ambient temps around 90°F or 32°C.  I blamed myself for the issue since I bet that in direct sun I was approaching the high end of the operating temperature 40°C.   I have not had any erratic issues with the Inspire itself.  It is an absolute wonderful machine.  Way to go DJI.  Awsome!!!  I have also tried to put the unit into Airplane mode, but then I get warnings that it cannot get updates.  I know this pad is not on the approved list, but just about everything else works.  The only thing is I cannot see the map and camera at the same time.  I just get a black screen in the lower right.  Thank you emil.tanem for starting this conversation.  I hope the data I have contributed helps someone somewhere.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I forgot to mention.  When the app locks up, the flight is not recorded on the user page, no time is accrued, and no pictures are recorded.  I really like this function.  Wish I had a record of my last two flights.  They were my longest yet.

2015-6-7
Use props
Prax
lvl.2

France

@Tahoe_Ed: your help would be much appreciated.
2015-6-7
Use props
justin.mah
lvl.1

Canada

justin.mah Posted at 2015-6-7 14:09
I have a Galaxy Tab S 8.4", and I'm running into a similar issue.

Actually what happens to me is th ...

So I did another flight and the same thing started happening again.

Before it got really bad, I clicked the video link button at the top.

If it is on "custom", you see a graph of the different available channels and the signal strength you would get from those channels. I was on channel 16 or something (was not marked green). I noticed different channels were green so I selected one of those (I picked channel 20).

The video got a lot smoother. And the app became a lot more useable. It helped me for the rest of the flight, so maybe that's something somebody would also like to try, but I don't suppose it would help everyone.
2015-6-9
Use props
FLYMN
lvl.2

United States

justin.mah Posted at 2015-6-9 19:15
So I did another flight and the same thing started happening again.

Before it got really bad, I c ...

Thermo-Throttling

I ran various tests yesterday using my Note 4 and the P3, testing different scenarios with regards to heat dissipation of the Note 4.

At this stage of the game, I am fairly convinced that what we are seeing is the Android device approaching temperature limits that cause the GPU to thermo-throttle.

I ran 3 tests with the Note 4 bare-boned (no case), Note 4 with ice pack attached and Note 4 w/case.

CPU temperatures reached running the Pilot Ap:

No case = 68 C
Ice pack = 61C
case = 70C

I won't say for sure if the problem is temperature related, but the amount of lag did seem to correlate.

Each flight was 15 minutes. They all had some hiccups...times of lag, display freeze, etc. but it appeared the best flight was with the ice pack rubber-banned to the back of the phone.

AJ
2015-6-10
Use props
memelivorno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287474 ft
Italy

Stuttering video feed here too with note 4 that is on the list of approved devices. This issue should be solved asap, it's very frustrating to have lagging video feed. As i read everywhere it's not a device hw related issue but it's application software issue.
2015-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules