Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android in FPV
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

Kevin Stewart Posted at 2015-6-16 21:50
Hey guys, just saw on Facebook, a guy opened 2 P3 controllers, one had a fan (cooling fan like PC) w ...

Hey Guy is this confirmed? Fan or No Fan in controller?

I cant say if mine has one or not... never heard it running...! Weird!

Regs Chris
2015-6-16
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-17 03:34
If you are using the camera rather than your eyes to determine the position of your Phantom, then  ...

The Phantom 3 is a flying CAMERA guy ! Its first goal is to produce stills and movies !!!
And to produce movies you need to have your eyes mainly on the tablet, even if flying LOS.
Also you need to have a decent frame rate.
If you want to orbit and record your eyes have to stay on the screen. Being droneflyer or not, you cannot control the camera tilt with the required precision to do a nice movie if you don't have the eyes on the tablet.

If you want to fly just for the pleasure of flying it is better to go for  a cheap RC model.
The P3 is supposed to work with a full HD downstream to iOS devices and crappy Android ones... as mentionned on DJI website and ads.
If a customer ask me for something I cant do, I tell him his request is out of my competences !!!
2015-6-16
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belgium

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-17 03:34
If you are using the camera rather than your eyes to determine the position of your Phantom, then  ...

The Phantom 3 is a flying CAMERA guy ! Its first goal is to produce stills and movies !!!
And to produce movies you need to have your eyes mainly on the tablet, even if flying LOS.
Also you need to have a decent frame rate.
If you want to orbit and record your eyes have to stay on the screen. Being droneflyer or not, you cannot control the camera tilt with the required precision to do a nice movie if you don't have the eyes on the tablet.

If you want to fly just for the pleasure of flying it is better to go for  a cheap RC model.
The P3 is supposed to work with a full HD downstream to iOS devices and crappy Android ones... as mentionned on DJI website and ads.
If a customer ask me for something I cant do, I tell him his request is out of my competences !!!
2015-6-16
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

rogeruzun@gmail Posted at 2015-6-17 03:47
I was having the same issue after updating to FW 1.2.6 on my P3 Pro.  At the same time Google update ...

So are you flying with out Google Play services installed, or just shut down? Also, when flying in the GPS mode, do you still have maps and can see your home point where the bird is?
2015-6-16
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Well i went and threw some money on an iPad air 2 LTE and updated the phantom and controller, went and flew it in 85 F degrees 70% humidity 2pm today, made this video from the dji pilot app video cache.

I flew by FPV and only used LOS when in close proximity to objects.

Threw my nexus 7 2013 in the garbage as in it can only be good for kodi and kali net hunter, no wonder i am relying on my mac book more than my super gaming pc monster, apple wins.

If i am DJI i would drop android support all together and just support IOS and bring a pilot app for MAC and PC. I got no time to keep fiddling with android and cripple a perfectly working tablet just for DJI pilot app, IOS app submission is always strict and they have to make it good the first time or they get slammed out of the market, so android guys are slacking off and not fixing there app because they know we can side load that shit, but you can't do that on the apple side.

I went and bought the iPad because if went the analog way i would have spent as much on an ezUHF and a 2.4GHZ fpv gear and monster antennas plus BULK and BULK not one suit case that has the whole setup and i won't look like a dork doing it.
2015-6-16
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-6-16 23:07
I have something very interesting folks.

I made several test today with Android app... and as I wro ...

This worked for me on my Samsung Tab S 8 Android 5.02 to fix the lag making FPV unusable

temporarily "Disabled' the app in the application manager:

Settings > Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version.

Once complete choose to 'Enable' the app again but don't install any updates when requested to.

Prior to that you should probably Turn off "Automatic App updating":

"Play Store > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." - then ignore any apps that want to update play services as part of their own update (maps etc), until DJI come up with a fix or workaround.

My downgraded version of Google Play Services is now v 6.7.77.

So perhaps it wasn't a DJI firmware update, rather a coincidental Google Play Services update that caused this particular issue?

In any case perhaps an option can be added to the DJI pilot app to bypass Google Play Services for GPS functionality, for those users that are experiencing this issue:

"The reason for this is that for the last year or so, Google has been recommending developers use Google Play Services for Android Device location GPS functionality which allows for Google Play Services to batch GPS requests, hopefully preserving battery life. However, developers still have access to the native Android location APIs which they could leverage to request device location."

My 2 cents again.

2015-6-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ulysse Posted at 2015-6-17 05:37
And to p ...

"Produce movies" sounds semi-professional or prosumer which would mean you could easily get a good IOS device.

Here in the USA there are actually guidelines against flying with your camera (so-called FPV) and LOS means that YOU are looking at it, not that it's possible that you could see it.

But things in Belgium might be different.

You are flying a toy....a lower end hobbyist device. It's a $100 or $200 camera.

This isn't Hollywood.....

I can take some great pics and videos with my $30 device......moto-g.
2015-6-16
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325659 ft
United States

I'm tempted to get an ipad mini 3 and ditching android.  For now I just have google play services uninstalled.  I went to the apps area in settings and it either had an option to uninstall or it gave me that option after I chose DISABLE.  At any rate I don't have Google Play Services any longer on the Nexus pad.  The pad still heats up a lot but doesn't stutter or have any real slowdown.

I'm still tempted to get an ipad mini 3 just to be rid of this heat issue.  I think the new FW causes more heat, and the google play services always caused extra heat due to its cpu utilization.   but the little extra load from FW 1.2.6 pushed my Nexus 7 II tablet over the edge.

I don't get any map data since I'm not online when I fly but I do get relative position indications on the map display, and I get a readoout of how high and far from the home pt the P3 is.  It  did not seem to affect the DJI Pilot app when I uninstalled Google Play Services.
2015-6-16
Use props
lnwpower
lvl.1

Thailand

ScottyT Posted at 2015-6-17 07:22
This worked for me on my Samsung Tab S 8 Android 5.02 to fix the lag making FPV unusable

tempora ...

I can't uninstall google play service.

Screenshot_2015-06-17-07-48-29.jpg

2015-6-16
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I just finished flying my P3P for perhaps the last time, Its dangerous, something is going to happen and its going to damage itself. I cannot afford that, I haven't even received my second battery yet.  I have had this thing for a month now and the situation just keeps getting worse.  I am contacting where I got this and pay pal to be certain I do not run out of time to send it back, it is parked.  The last update made things worse.  Every time I come back and land from a flight I still have 20 to 60 ft. showing on my alt,  with the lag so bad now on my tab s 4.4.2 that I cant fly it.  I could at least fly it on the 4.4.2 tab s before this update, this is to much, I have a tab s with lollipop on it also, may as well not even turn it on. Check to see how long you have to return,  I am contacting seller on ebay and pay pal right now, this puppy is going back.  I'm done stick a fork in me.  Do not let the return time run out, contact your credit card company.
2015-6-16
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

And now... new FW and VPS problems.... (Does it never end?)
2015-6-16
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

VPS... info....

http://forum.dji.com/thread-21636-1-1.html
2015-6-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-17 08:54
I just finished flying my P3P for perhaps the last time, Its dangerous, something is going to happen ...

Sorry to hear that.

I'm keeping mine no matter what. Basically, I feel like I got a 2500 machine for $1300 and if it costs me a little time and trouble before it's perfect, that's fine with me. The video and pics I have are amazing - and I'm not a photographer by any means.

I've spent more on a weekend vacation - where it rained and the food was bad.

Hope to see you back in a few months when the machine is more mature!
pano3.jpg
2015-6-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

chrisclaydon@bi Posted at 2015-6-17 09:22
And now... new FW and VPS problems....  (Does it never end?)

Actually, it never does.
But it did on most of the others quads I've purchased - when I either lost them to the wild or they crashed so badly I gave up and sold them for parts....

So in a way it's a positive that it never ends!
2015-6-16
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-17 11:08
Sorry to hear that.

I'm keeping mine no matter what. Basically, I feel like I got a 2500 machine f ...

Oh yes it's a keeper... just wait for the pest control to come in and sort the bugs out!
2015-6-16
Use props
StevenHuff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 333852 ft
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-17 08:16
"Produce movies" sounds semi-professional or prosumer which would mean you could easily get a good ...

Is there any end to your arrogance?  Give it a rest!!!
2015-6-16
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

lnwpower Posted at 2015-6-17 08:50

Yes, I had that too:

Go to "Settings > Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator then try again... Hopefully it works for you.

I've had several long flights now using the tablet that was unusable before - works great now.

2015-6-16
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

ScottyT Posted at 2015-6-17 07:22

tempora ...

Mate, please send to DJI support this part about obey Google Play Services. Maybe you found a solution for this case.
2015-6-16
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-17 08:54
I just finished flying my P3P for perhaps the last time, Its dangerous, something is going to happen ...

Have you tried rolling back the Google Play Services version on your Tab S with Lollipop?
It might tide you over until a proper fix is released...

I kinda understand why people are venting - it would be nice if we got more formal notifications from the Engineering/Dev team as to what the progress is on certain bugs. Also, a bit more info rather than "Various bug fixes" in the release notes for the last firmware update, for example.

Anyway, hopefully it will get better. Minus those bugs the app and hardware is pretty darn good.   
2015-6-16
Use props
m.vos2
lvl.1

Ireland

chrisclaydon@bi Posted at 2015-6-17 05:35
Hey Guy is this confirmed? Fan or No Fan in controller?

I cant say if mine has one or not... neve ...

never heared one in mine but  its kinda dumb putting a fan in a closed  controller
2015-6-16
Use props
m.vos2
lvl.1

Ireland

got confirmation from Dji that there will be a fw update to addres this issue sadly no eta yet
2015-6-16
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belgium

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-17 08:16
"Produce movies" sounds semi-professional or prosumer which would mean you could easily get a good ...

Produce movies means what it means : record mov or mp4 files on a storage device, whatever your skills. These files contain a series of stills (25, 30, 50 or 60) per second which allow you to capture "motion".
And I'm actually not concerned at all with this android saga as I use an iPad Air.
From day 1, I never considered the P3 as a toy because it is the best way to end with a disaster for the drone or worse, for other people.
2015-6-16
Use props
m.vos2
lvl.1

Ireland

well the problem is actually not a android issue at all
sure there are users who have under powerd devices that show lag nothing can be done about that
but mij note 3 phone is a quadcore system that's mutch faster then most ipads
and even on that phone I have stutter not because the cpu is at high load but because the phantom cant stream it fast enouch
2015-6-16
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belgium

It isn't only a matter of hardware. Most android device are faster than iOS ones on paper only, because of the OS.
The Phantom downstream is always the same, whatever device is at the other end...
2015-6-16
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

m.vos2@quicknet Posted at 2015-6-17 14:02
got confirmation from Dji that there will be a fw update to addres this issue sadly no eta yet

some good news
2015-6-16
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

ScottyT Posted at 2015-6-17 13:45
Have you tried rolling back the Google Play Services version on your Tab S with Lollipop?
It migh ...

Hey Scotty T
Yeah I'll give it another shot .  I rolled back the Google play seems to work well inside, not quite as good when it has a bunch of sats outside. Its just amazing to me that this is going on,  One of my main problems beside all the error messages like error 42 at start up or barometric sensor error, and to top it off every time I fly it when i descend to land my altimeter reading is always 20 to 60 ft. off. Has anyone noticed and does anyone no of a thread dealing with this I have seen a couple but not much. This really bugs me, it messes with my head, look at my avatar
2015-6-16
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

m.vos2@quicknet Posted at 2015-6-17 14:01
never heared one in mine but  its kinda dumb putting a fan in a closed  controller

I have heard the fan in my remote confirmed
2015-6-16
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-17 15:51
Hey Scotty T
Yeah I'll give it another shot .  I rolled back the Google play seems to work well in ...

Interesting. What version of Google Play Services do you have on your lollipop Tab S?  Still laggy ? Still sounds Sat related... have you tried taping a 10cm square tin foil on your top of the P3 to see if you get no lag without sats?  Don't fly too high or far away when testing as you won't have RTH and if it switches to p-atti it will drift with the wind. On the plus side, if there is one, it makes you a better flyer using LOS without FPV, and P-atti mode which is what you need to know should something go wrong. I'm sure it will get fixed... It's just a pain waiting without info on an upcoming fix
2015-6-17
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-6-16 13:28
I have no lag increase in flying. I have huge CPU overload caused by something connected with GPS i ...

Hey man... good stuff..

Today i uninstalled googleplay update.. off my TAB S 10.5 so now its running v5.6.8.

Ran a full battery thru my ph3a without any fpv lag problems.

Next battery i installed the googleplay updates and fpv was crap from the start of the flight. So uninstalled googleplay update again and fpv was all good again  

CPU without update was 63%... CPU with up date installed was running at 83%

CPU temp didnt change much, 73c.

Had video cache turned on too.

Anyhow, i have iphone 6+ & tested a samsung S6.... but i love the TAB S 10.5 for its big clear screen. so good to see in daylight.

Anyhow thxs for the tip mate. I knew it was cpu been over worked, but didnt know wot!

Regards Chris

2015-6-17
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

chrisclaydon@bi Posted at 2015-6-17 16:41
Hey man... good stuff..

Today i uninstalled googleplay update.. off my TAB S 10.5 so now its runn ...

Yes, thanks to Kyokushin for the Google Play Services roll back workaround that makes these Samsung tablets on lollipop usable again for FPV. .

Cheers
2015-6-17
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

ScottyT Posted at 2015-6-17 16:49
Yes, thanks to Kyokushin for the Google Play Services roll back workaround that makes these Samsun ...

Mine on kitkat still
2015-6-17
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

Oh, even better then
2015-6-17
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

we should change this topic to official DJI R&D by users
2015-6-17
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

lnwpower Posted at 2015-6-17 08:50

Click on Manage Device Administrators and unbind simply by unchecking.
2015-6-17
Use props
cegio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 671257 ft
  • >>>
Spain

vincent.zorzi Posted at 2015-6-16 17:50
Here, in french non official DJI forum, we have a strange case : Most of Tab S 8.4 SM-T700 have lag. ...

I have tab s 10,5 , same specs than 8,4, and I´m flying without problems, of course I´m flying with 1.1.8 firmware.
2015-6-17
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

Anybody notice any difference between disable Google Play Services versus uninstalling recent versions?

Is much better but still not perfect... But it was a great improvement...
2015-6-17
Use props
cegio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 671257 ft
  • >>>
Spain

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-17 19:04
Anybody notice any difference between disable Google Play Services versus uninstalling recent versio ...

wich version of dji pilot did you use?
2015-6-17
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-17 19:04
Anybody notice any difference between disable Google Play Services versus uninstalling recent versio ...

There is no diference for me in CPU usage between disable or downgrade. In both cases this operation can save about 30% of load.
However it may depend of version what you will have after downgrade (stock).
2015-6-17
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

StevenHuff Posted at 2015-6-17 11:53
Is there any end to your arrogance?  Give it a rest!!!

Wait - you said to ignore you........and now you are stalking me?

Give it a rest, man. It's a public forum and I am gonna be here forever.

Someday maybe they will have an "ignore" feature. Until then, if you don't have anything kind or helpful to say, you should be quieter and learn something.

In other words...........
2015-6-17
Use props
edumlz
lvl.2

Spain

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2015-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules