downgrade firmware/dji pilot app to prevent crippling
2377 19 2015-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
newact1
Second Officer

Canada

Just wondering if anyone can direct me how to 'backup' an apple app (i.e., the DJI pilot app) so I can restore it later, if anything ever happened to my iPad...

In the "good" 'ol days - you could backup an .exe file to a disk - so if your computer ever got corrupted (or the 'new' version didn't work) - you could always download & re-install the 'old' version.

Nowadays - it seems you are "forced" to use whatever is currently on the Apple iTunes store (no idea how to 'copy' an app to an iPad unless you go through apple's store)...

So questions:

a) Is it possible to make a 'backup' copy of the current DJI pilot app?
b) If so - how would I then "copy" it on to my iPad if I don't do it through the iTunes store?

Just reading all these horror stories about how new firmware updates are crippling the machines makes me really concerned... I.e., apparently even the new firmware update now reduces range of the video feet to about 200 ft (effectively making it useless for most people other than a very expensive toy) - because of 'undocumented' changes (finding other threads that said video channels were reduced, amongst other things)...

So effectively, this has gone from an amazing device, to crippled in range, to crippled video feed, etc, etc... I "did" want to buy another phantom, but not sure now because of all the limitations of the new 'updates', etc...

So... back to my original question - anyone know how to do backups? I just want a backup in case anything ever happened to my iPad, so I wouldn't be "forced" to use a new "crippled" version...

Thanks!

2015-7-1
Use props
newact1
Second Officer

Canada

ah, kk, thanks - do you have some download links for the previous android versions? (you can send me an e-mail if you wish, or post here... I'd like to get copies of that). also if you know how to rollback firmware - I'd appreciate that, thanks!
2015-7-1
Use props
newact1
Second Officer

Canada

lol - nah, I'm "asking" for your e-mail. it would be nice to chat to another smart guy, privately. but your choice. that is why I suggested you make a different e-mail address (hotmail) if you don't want to give out your real e-mail address  (you can edit your post after). but I'll let you decide.

and yes, I've used google. haven't found it. google doesn't know everything (yet).
2015-7-1
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

You can backup your IOS device with iTunes to a Mac or PC.  if you have an app that auto updated and you want to roll it back just restore from the aproprate backup file.  Make sure that you shut off auto update for that app before you connect to the Internet.  That way you won't have to restore all over again.
-Dog
2015-7-1
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The new firmware doesn't cripple your Phantom!
2015-7-1
Use props
jeffgritchen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3117448 ft
United States

In the Mac the IOS apps are located here: Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications

Not sure where they are on a PC
2015-7-1
Use props
newact1
Second Officer

Canada

Nick Martin Posted at 2015-7-2 05:56

yes, it does - found out they changed tthe video channels from 32 to 8 - which means now you get a lot of interference for videos (because many other people are on the same bandwidth). thats ONE of the things it cripples.
2015-7-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I guess that would probably only depend how many others are flying in the same field of dreams you are in?
I doubt those lesser choices would affect me, being way up here, far from you and those other pilots... ;-)

No, it's not a problem for me, at all..

RedHotPoker
2015-7-1
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

newact1@hotmail Posted at 2015-7-2 09:59
yes, it does - found out they changed tthe video channels from 32 to 8 - which means now you get a ...

Yeah I totally lost my lightbridge range, My p3 has been grounded, threatened to send back, and now I am crippled also,  By reading all of these threads, I still keep hoping that a software fix will fix my p3.  I dont know if my p3 is defective or if a long awaited, much anticipated, firmware upgrade will restore my phantom to something close to what it was when I purchased it.

I love this thing and the way it flies, but I wish it were as we expected and as advertised,  I really dont like this poor lightbridge connection that some seem to be suffering, with me being one of them.  To those that say theirs is fine, all I have to say is your very lucky, I wish I was in your group.

I think I have a lot of interference, I live out in the middle of no where, in the mountains but Seems to be spurious strong transmissions, all over the place,  regardless my lightbridge was great before the upgrades.  I am not flying it much now, waiting for upgrades,  Its just discouraging to see all of the little problems when I fly it.

I have tried manual mode, lower bit rates, different channels, all with same results.  I think my useful range  is about a third of what it was when I got it.  I need the range that is why I bought it.  

A couple of months ago the sheriff called me to bring the phantom out deeper in the mountains here in extremely rough terrain to help search for a women that was lost. We were limited by the range and the picture quality of the P2v+ , This is why I rushed out to buy the new P3P, At this point there is no sense in even thinking about using it,  if a similar situation should arise. I have totally supported Dji in the past, they need to fix or recall these units soon.
2015-7-1
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-2 10:35
Yeah I totally lost my lightbridge range, My p3 has been grounded, threatened to send back, and no ...

The future is dark in that aspect and don't hold your breath. They did us in and managed to pull us by the balls after we handed them our money.  Next update might make the range 200 feet.
2015-7-1
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

newact1@hotmail Posted at 2015-7-2 09:59
yes, it does - found out they changed tthe video channels from 32 to 8 - which means now you get a ...

man thats nonsense, it had 8 channels ever since, please inform yourself better. The Inpsire had more channels in the beginning but they reduced it. The P3 has the usual 8. I dont think they reduced anything in range.
2015-7-1
Use props
FlyingScotti
lvl.1

Austria

Sorry to say, but it is no nonsense: The range of the video signal has decreased after updating to V1.26 (P3 prof). The gimbal is rolling after a while, the first poerson view does not work (you can choose it from the pilot app but the camera is still in following mode). And now the absolute no go: The video is not smooth anymore, after 5 minutes recording I get only a set of single shots.

I have a "test" area where I can compare the quality of the drone.

Support from DJI: No answer from DJI Europe, only an automatic answer from DJI.

Today I will offer my P3 prof, hoping someone who does not read the Forum will buy it.

2015-7-1
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-7-2 13:56
The future is dark in that aspect and don't hold your breath. They did us in and managed to pull u ...

I am past the 30 day return , I filed a claim with pay pal, no response yet.
2015-7-2
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-7-2 14:28
man thats nonsense, it had 8 channels ever since, please inform yourself better. The Inpsire had m ...

Send me your p3 and I will send you mine I will pay for shipping both ways you can then see for yourself if this is nonsense.
2015-7-2
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l'm not sure that the reduction in channels is the blame of the other issues. l'm still running 1.1.1 for iOS and my channels have also been reduced with no problems.
2015-7-2
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-7-2 20:45
l'm not sure that the reduction in channels is the blame of the other issues. l'm still running 1.1. ...

I am not sure either,  mine is a mixed bag one minute everything seems all right the next it seems as though I have a range issue, altitude slip and everything else, One minute I am totally in, I love this thing, and the next moment I am frustrated and ready to send it in,  or back. I hope dji can clean a few of these issues up soon.  
2015-7-2
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-2 22:09
I am not sure either,  mine is a mixed bag one minute everything seems all right the next it seems ...

Have you tried opening it up and checking cable connections ?
2015-7-2
Use props
ArcheOptics
lvl.1

Poland

Nick Martin Posted at 2015-7-2 05:56

Yes it does. Read my post in Help!
2015-7-2
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

I know for the regular $1500 lightbridge system you could edit a file in the android version of the app to get the 32 channels back.. I bet the same thing would work for the p3 too..  Around November 2014 is where the thread would be located if anyone wanted to go look for it..  
2015-7-2
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-2 20:08
Send me your p3 and I will send you mine I will pay for shipping both ways you can then see for yo ...

No, you got that wrong, the P3 had 8 channels when it was released, it was never reduced. I can select the same 8 channels manually like i could during release. Dont know what you mean with crippled. The Inspire 1 had 32 channels when it was released and it was reduced to 8 as well. But it should not affect the range, it only affect the range if the channels are "red" and crowded. When they are clean and noise free you can hit your long ranges, for example in the countryside. In a city they are of course overcrowded
2015-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules