Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 1.2.6/1.2.8 Firmware Update Issues and Resolutions
1234567Next >
42624 270 2015-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Phantom 3 1.2.6/1.2.8 Firmware Update Issues and Resolutions

At DJI we are dedicated to creating the world’s most advanced flying platforms and camera stabilization systems. This dedication extends to ourdesire to provide quality products that meet and exceed the needs of our customers.

Recently however, we have had reports of a number of issues arising from our latest firmware upgrade, specifically upgrading from 1.1.9 to 1.2.8 onthe Phantom 3 Advanced and from 1.1.9 to 1.2.6 on the Phantom 3 Professional. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and we are pleased to say that after extensive research and over 1000 flights, resolutions are now available. We would also like to extend a special thanks to users who reported the problems to us and assisted us as we worked on fixes.

If you have experienced any issues with your Phantom 3 Advanced or Phantom 3 Professional, please see below. If your issue is not below please let us know and we will work to resolve it as soon as we can.

1.  Non-visual live feed image, i.e. a blank screen that appears instead of a camera feed.

Reason: Certain chip pins on the SD card are not connecting properly tothe circuit causing the camera to start up abnormally, making the screen turn black.
Solution: Remove the SD card and re-install it tightly.
Further solution: The camera startup process is being refined to take into account possible connectivity issues with the SD card. If necessary, DJI will repair affected units as quickly as possible.

2.  Increased lag and screen flicker.

Reason: The DJI Pilot app is extremely complex, causing it to place highdemands on your mobile device’s processor and power consumption. This is especially true of three functions.
a)        Live feed, location map and Flight Route Recording all draw on processing power.
b)        When activated, the Video Editor automatically transcodes your live feed and creates your video in real time using your phone’s processor
c)        When the remote controller is connected to an iOS device, your iOS device will specifically use a Central Processing Unit (CPU) core to deal with data authentication computation.
All of these functions increase the power consumption of your mobile device, in turn causing its temperature to increase. Most devices will lower processing speed when a temperature threshold is reached, slowing down the app causing lag and flicker.

Suggested solution:
a)        Activate hardware decoding on your mobile device in the DJI Pilot app to reduce demands on your mobile device’s CPU.
b)        Choose a lower code rate under Image Transmission Quality assmaller files decode more efficiently.
c)        Shut down any unused application programs, or activate “Flight Mode”
d)        Keep your mobile device in a cool place whenever possible and keep it out of direct sunlight when flying outdoors.

Further solution:
We will continue to optimize the DJI Pilot app, increasing computation efficiency and lowering power consumption to ensure that it always runs smoothly

3.  Flickering screen and/or a blank screen during flying.

Reason: When the Phantom is flying at an extended distance, the angle of the antennas is essential to maintain a strong signal.
Solution: Refer to the user manual and adjust the antenna angle.

We would also like to take this chance to share some good news with everyone. Many users have suggested that we provide more versions of the firmware so you can choose which one to use. This is something that we have taken on board, and we are delighted to announce that we will be making that happen as soon as dedicated engineers assess the best possible way to make this available.

In the future, there will be two versions of the firmware for you to choose from, the previous version and the new one. This means if for any reason you are not satisfied with the latest firmware you can revert back to the previous one.

We are constantly working to ensure that our customers are satisfied and will continue to optimize our products and provide the best service we can. If you have raised a problem about your Phantom 3 on the forum and it still has not been resolved, please contact our dedicated customer service team and provide as much detail as possible about your issue. They will be more than happy to help you.

Thank you for your sincere understanding.

DJI

2015-7-2
Use props
rseal
lvl.2

United States

I'm kind of shocked that DJI has decided to go with an either/or scenario. Wouldn't you think that one of the versions is the best and correct one? To be fair, I have no issues with my Phantom, although only had it a few days, and I don't know what version I am running, haven't looked. Let's get the best firmware version that is available with DJI's full and complete support for it. Kinda scary, just tell me what to use and should it not work properly, then we have an issue. Concur?
2015-7-2
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks for the communication!
This is good news: "In the future, there will be two versions of the firmware for you to choose from, the previous version and the new one. This means if for any reason you are not satisfied with the latest firmware you can revert back to the previous one."
Will that apply to the app as well?
2015-7-2
Use props
tcoleyrn
lvl.2

United States

It seems that no matter what DJI does, someone is going to complain. Guys let's think about what there company offices and meetings must be like. I am pretty sure they aren't just sitting back counting our $. I imagine a lot of chaotic engineers, programmers, and meetings trying to figure out how to fix/address all of the issues. We have to be reminded that this is a complex machine/computer and it TAKES TIME to isolate issues, develop solutions, test solutions, and then get out to the consumers. Be patient....all will be well (eventually).
2015-7-2
Use props
rseal
lvl.2

United States

If you are referring to me, as far as complaining, I'm not complaining. I am just wondering why DJI can't give us the firmware that works and be done with it. On top of learning a new skill, now I have to decide which firmware I want to chance my flying machine with. I have had no problems with my Phantom and I actually don't think I will because I RTFM and did every thing by the book, to the letter. They can do their part and give us the firmware that works, why should I have to decide on firmware? So now the question goes back to a question from a while back, do I upgrade or do I keep the old firmware?
2015-7-2
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

rseal Posted at 2015-7-2 23:21
If you are referring to me, as far as complaining, I'm not complaining. I am just wondering why DJI  ...

True enough, it would be nice. But some quads take some updates well and others don't.

l don't think "choice" is the right word. l think we're still expected to update to any released FW, but if we have a quad that craps out, we still have the available option of reverting back, that's how l read it anyway.
Right now we don't have the option which is why l'm still rooted to 1.1.6. Maybe now that l can update, check it out, and roll-back if necessary, l'd start updating.
2015-7-2
Use props
Morgon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104393 ft
United States

This is great news. Any idea on when this might become available?
I know it was said that engineers have to assess how to do it, but are we talking about days, or weeks?
2015-7-2
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

@DJI-Autumn no mention of the VPS issues which are widely reported. I received a reply from DJI Support after about a week and was told the resolution is expected next week. Are we to understand this is the solution?

Finally to be honest the incremental version checking should be disabled completely and a library of firmware made available rather than current and -1.
2015-7-2
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I for one think that DJI is working for our benefit when they make progressive change ideas like that into reality. We should be able to get back to where everything worked, after a problematic upgrade of firmware.
So bravo DJI. We like the trend.
2015-7-2
Use props
rseal
lvl.2

United States

Do you think there are two or three batches of Phantoms that work better with the different firmwares? If so, I'll give my serial number and tell me which one to use. I should not have to make that decision. I have seen many many posts of folks that 1.2.8 works great and many that said that it doesn't work for them. And maybe their are two meetings at DJI, one to count the money and one to fix the firmware issue. What if I update to one or the other and that happens to be the one that causes mine to have problems and I damage  the thing. I don't know, not trying to be a PITA but this doesn't make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them doing something, even if it's an attempt, but this puts doubts in my mind every time I get off the ground, do I have the right firmware running to fly and get back home safely?
2015-7-2
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-7-2 23:32
True enough, it would be nice. But some quads take some updates well and others don't.

l don't t ...

CapitAn,

The way I read this announcement is that you can roll back to the previous version, not necessarily the one you are using if it's an old version (like being two or three revisions back).

Quote from DJI
  "In the future, there will be two versions of the firmware for you to choose from, the previous version and the new one. This means if for any reason you are not satisfied with the latest firmware you can revert back to the previous one. "

So my read says that if you are using 1.1.6 and 1.2.6 is current before 1.x.x comes out, you'd only be able to revert to 1.2.6, from 1.x.x .

I could be wrong, but we'll have to wait and see what actually rolls out and who's going to be the first guinea pig.
2015-7-2
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

autumn,  what is DJI going to do about the shells cracking around the motors.  You guys need to inspect your birds.  People whom have never had a crash have had the plastic crack in those areas.   Why don't you let us send it back to the dealer for replacement instead of making us go through hell with a 6-8 week RMA?
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... /page-3#post-436391
2015-7-2
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-3 00:01
autumn,  what is DJI going to do about the shells cracking around the motors.  You guys need to insp ...

Would like to know that answer as well
2015-7-2
Use props
Shutter
lvl.2

Sweden

Where can i find hardware decoding on my Tab S?
2015-7-2
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

sdharris Posted at 2015-7-2 23:41
@DJI-Autumn no mention of the VPS issues which are widely reported. I received a reply from DJI Supp ...

I agree 100%

Version checking should be disabled.   ALL versions should be made available for download.
2015-7-2
Use props
news
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1607267 ft
Spain

"b)        Choose a lower code rate under Image Transmission Quality assmaller files decode more efficiently. "

This option was removed from the latest iOS application !

2015-7-2
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thanks you for keeping us updated. Even small updates help give confidence to customers ;)
2015-7-2
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

news@bonathan.c Posted at 2015-7-3 01:00
"b)        Choose a lower code rate under Image Transmission Quality assmaller files decode more eff ...

Put it in manual transmission mode..Then the slider becomes active.
2015-7-2
Use props
TonyMF
lvl.2

Canada

Thank-you for the update and thanks for taking the time to listen to our requests. Rollback option will be a huge help.

Can I please ask, as I'm sure many others here will agree, that we have access to version 1.1.8 FW for our P3's as it seems to be the most stable firmware so far? Having an option to only go back to 1.1.9 will still leave some with instability issues with their P3's.
2015-7-2
Use props
duke
lvl.1

United States

Any projected release dates? I was hoping to have this thing up and running before July 4th

I've already missed THE big fireworks display in my area that I was waiting all year to record (...already sold my P2V+ to finance my P3Pro)

...and a big AMEN on the "keep your customers informed"

We all know this is cutting-edge technology, which breeds it's own set of problems. Just tell us something is screwed up and you're working on it. Don't add insult to injury with all the naysayers who go around the forums spouting off about how it works for them (because of blind luck) and everyone else is just stupid.

Some people on this forum remind me of my grandpa's rooster, every morning taking credit for the sun coming up.
2015-7-2
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

duke@thetrustas Posted at 2015-7-3 01:50
Any projected release dates? I was hoping to have this thing up and running before July 4th

I've al ...

What issues are you having that would prevent you from flying?
2015-7-2
Use props
duke
lvl.1

United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-7-3 01:58
What issues are you having that would prevent you from flying?

I'm not going to risk hurting others, or crashing a $1,400 toy when it won't even hover at eye level without 6' toilet bowl swirls and bobbing from 10' alt to bouncing off the ground with a mind of it's own.

Before the update, it was steady as a tripod...now it's a ticked-off 4-headed weed whacker with a mind of it's own, and it is totally unsafe for anyone in the vicinity.
2015-7-2
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-3 00:01
autumn,  what is DJI going to do about the shells cracking around the motors.  You guys need to insp ...

There is no warranty on the shell... My guess is they will not do anything. Since the shell is sold AS IS...
2015-7-2
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

Hello DJI-Autumn,

Thank you very much for your report.

Isaac
2015-7-2
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

news@bonathan.c Posted at 2015-7-3 01:00
"b)        Choose a lower code rate under Image Transmission Quality assmaller files decode more eff ...

No it wasn't. You have to choose "custom" on the image transmission screen.
2015-7-2
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-7-3 02:02
There is no warranty on the shell... My guess is they will not do anything. Since the shell is sold ...

I'd like to hear from DJI about the warranty on the shell.   Who says it's not covered?  As far as I know, the shell comes with the drone and should be subject to warranty and defects in manufacture.   A shell should not crack under normal use.   Especially in the first month of ownership.   I'm starting to see more and more people coming forth on this.  I plan on making a video to display my crack when I get time.
2015-7-2
Use props
Randy55
lvl.1

United States

Thank you, DJI, it is nice to see that you are monitoring these forums and responding to our concerns. It's a good step in the right direction of better customer service!
2015-7-2
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Thanx for communication DJI-Autumn! I have one question,  what about Google Play Services workaround?

downgrading this crap removed video lag in most of Android users... Google Play Services are main problem generator. Without them or when they are downgraded everything works fine.They consumes a lot of CPU power for nothing, and they cause overheating of devices, crashing and lagging DJI app.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 51231&fromuid=51556
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 52578&fromuid=51556

Almost everyone who downgraded Google Play Services is free from video lag, overheating, app crashing and stuttering.

And after that, transcoding, map draving or other functions in DJI Pilot works perfectly.

I am flying on 1.2 DJI Pilot and 1.2.6 firmware with downgraded Google Play Devices and flight is smooth and application works stable.

2015-7-2
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-3 02:48
I'd like to hear from DJI about the warranty on the shell.   Who says it's not covered?  As far as ...

Are you the type to buy something with out doing any research... The type who gets something new and throws away the manual without reading it... then crash it and come crying that somebody else should fix it? Did you even take a look to see what the warranty was BEFORE you dropped 1200 bucks???

It clearly says there is NO WARRANTY on the frame (shell) ... and NO WARRANTY means AS IS...

When you make your video make sure you tell the world that YOU and only you did not take the time to research the warranty BEFORE you spent you money...

http://www.dji.com/service/warranty-period
2015-7-2
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-7-3 03:03
Are you the type to buy something with out doing any research... The type who gets something new a ...

I live in dallas texas.  If you want to know what type of person I am, I can meet you for a beer.   It still shouldn't prevent us from discussing the problem and I would expect the product not to crack under normal use regardless of what the warranty says.   And you don't know about what a product will do until you buy one.    I can see no warranty if abused, used or crashed outside of normal flying
2015-7-2
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-3 03:18
I live in dallas texas.  If you want to know what type of person I am, I can meet you for a beer.  ...

Texas... They says a lot...

Regardless, You did not read the warranty, and what is and isn't covered... It say NO WARRANTY... Plane and simple... Even in English. It's yours, defects and all.  Now may I ask how this makes you feel?

I don't need a beer to know that you didn't research the warranty before you dropped you money. You are showing the world this.

Up here in Washington most of the people I know ask about a warranty... Must be something unique to Washington?

Oh and I don't think anybody is stopping you from talking about issues. Nothing wrong wiht that... However demaning DJI warrnaty a part they cleary say is not covered by warranty is just crazy talk.
2015-7-2
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-7-3 03:27
Texas... They says a lot...

Regardless, You did not read the warranty, and what is and isn't cove ...

Must be.   I'm done with your attitude.
2015-7-2
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

Any version of the firmware should be able to overwrite what is on there, different people were happy with different versions.  Going back one version will not solve a lot of Users issues.

Just my opinion, Thanks for the update.
2015-7-2
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

North and South war is over guys ;)
2015-7-2
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-3 03:30
Must be.   I'm done with your attitude.

All hat no cattle
2015-7-2
Use props
Philliplloyd20
lvl.3
Flight distance : 690607 ft
United Kingdom

Thank you for acknowledging the issues many of us have experienced, the roll back feature is a very welcome but I think you should definitely consider the possibility of rolling back to ANY previous firmware. Due to what I believe is slight  differences in the hardware and different combinations are hitting the sweet spot.
2015-7-2
Use props
stevedunk
lvl.2

United States

How do I Revert back to 1.1.8 from 1.2.6 for the P3 Pro on an Ipad Mini app. I,ve tried all of their so called fixes and the quad is not cooperating. I have the file for the old update 1.1.8 but the quad will not accept it and DJI says that your quad can,t be downgraded from the last firmware.
2015-7-2
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

l never checked to see the warranty on various components of the quad before purchase either.
Some people download the wrong app, some have a hard time starting the quad, some don't check the warranties ahead of time. All part of the learning curve.
2015-7-2
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just so you guys can see that the VPS issue isn't happen to all users. Mine works pretty darn well!
2015-7-2
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

No matter what they do do people will get mad. I am in the service industry and will never make everyone happy. They are at least trying. They are not the evil corporation they are imagined to be. At least they have taken all the venting online and acted upon it. They have some solutions and I am sure that more will come. This product is a great product, a lot of user error is at the core of the issue as well. Some post and questions blow my mind. "I flew my quad into water will they replace it!?" really??
If you can't afford to loose a quad you should buy a cheaper one, other wise just make sure you are doing it right on your end. How many "complaints" about the FW were "oh i didn't realize i installed the wrong one. Some of it os common sense the rest is pure economics. Yes some batches will be defective, yes some might crack that is why you have warranties and what not. It always sucks when it happens to be yours, but the take away point here is that they are communicating and trying to resolves the issues. Which is huge. They are the primary producer of non commercial quads, so of course they are going to do there best.

2015-7-2
Use props
1234567Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules