Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dear DJI,
Please introduce a mode in panorama, when the individual frames (jepgs or raws) are saved, it would let us NOT to make the actual pano while we fly.
Basically, let us take the pictures, and be done with it, don't stitch it.
M3 seems to take the pictures very fast, which is great, but it takes a very long time to stitch them.
I understand that this is a desirable output for those who are new to photography, for for people like myself, it's a pure waste of time, since we can't really do anything during the stitching process.
And the thing is, I don't even use those in-drone panos. Like never. I download the original frames merge them into one large DNG and then process it to my liking.
So, all this time stitching is the precious flight time we could spend capturing other content.
Pretty please, it's just a checkbox in pano settings!
2022-1-30
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just think about it.
Taking a 180 pano takes about 20 seconds. It takes another 40 seconds or more to stitch, during which time we're severely handicapped in everything we can do.
We're losing  2/3 or more of the flying time!
2022-1-30
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great suggestion!  I've never had any use for the drone-stitched pano.

DJI please make it happen.
2022-1-30
Use props
WKKL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 873478 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Spazoo Posted at 1-30 16:30
Great suggestion!  I've never had any use for the drone-stitched pano.

DJI please make it happen.

Yes Yes,., I Second that!
2022-1-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DarthSLR. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you and have a nice day.
2022-1-30
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a good idea.  It seems like a lot of flight time wasted!
2022-1-30
Use props
Franzdampf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7022441 ft
  • >>>
Mexico

Good idea.
Actually would be nice to be able to continue your flight, once the pictures are taken. Just like on the M2P!!
I don't use the internal Pano and render them with another software, but it's quite nice to keep the small pano as a quick overview.
2022-1-30
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-30 19:12
Hello there DarthSLR. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you and have a nice day.

Thank you!
Is there a way to get the Case/Ticket# and track the progress?
2022-1-30
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-30 19:17
This is a good idea.  It seems like a lot of flight time wasted!

A whole lot.
When I first tried it, when I saw the capture speed, I was all like "wow, that's cool!".
Then stitching kicked in, and I was all like "damn, that sucks "...
2022-1-30
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Franzdampf Posted at 1-30 19:19
Good idea.
Actually would be nice to be able to continue your flight, once the pictures are taken. Just like on the M2P!!
I don't use the internal Pano and render them with another software, but it's quite nice to keep the small pano as a quick overview.

I agree. Maybe an old-style small-res pano for references as an option.
So not a check box but a dropdown/radio:
  • hi res pano (current behavior)
  • low res pano only (M2P style)
  • no pano (new)
2022-1-30
Use props
liezenblau
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10545 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I see it the same way. The one with the 3 checkboxes would be ideal. At least a setting "Stitching Panorama off and on" is absolutely necessary.
2022-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can’t you just take the pano manually ?
2022-1-31
Use props
liezenblau
lvl.3
  • >>>
Austria

Yes, it's possible. But is not practical at 360 degrees. The automatic is already there for that. Also that I can record them in RAW. Of course, it would be even better if I could shoot in HDR RAW. But the stiching of the pictures with a relatively long waiting time is completely unnecessary for me. Wait and then delete the stitched image again. Makes no sense.
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-31 15:48
Can’t you just take the pano manually ?

I have been taking pano manually since I got a working copy of M3.
I still do for the telelens.

The downside of this process is:
* it's super slow compared to machine-gun-rate of the automated process, so timing wise I would lose even with stitching. It takes me about 2-3 minutes to take a replica of 180 pano.
* it's less reliable, as it's very easy to undershoot or overshoot the intended rectangle
* you normally would take 50%..75% more frames than actually needed, since you're trying to play safe and make sure there is enough intersection between consecutive frames. Extra frames also mean a longer time.

All in all, doable, but I'd rather have the drone take them and let me choose what to do next. I would be even opposed to a dialog asking me each time if I want to stitch the pano in-drone. I'd simply say no, and be done with it.
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

liezenblau Posted at 1-31 15:57
Yes, it's possible. But is not practical at 360 degrees. The automatic is already there for that. Also that I can record them in RAW. Of course, it would be even better if I could shoot in HDR RAW. But the stiching of the pictures with a relatively long waiting time is completely unnecessary for me. Wait and then delete the stitched image again. Makes no sense.

Exactly.
I actually did HDR pano manually a few times with M3. Found it a bit of "not interesting", but in a tough spot can be a life-saver. So adding that option to the automated process would be welcome as well.
2022-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

liezenblau Posted at 1-31 15:57

Its very difficult to perfectly expose for 360 pano unless you shoot manually . It can also be difficult to expose for 180 pano and get what you want in the shot using auto, almost impossible to judge where and when the photo will begin or end. Also difficult to judge how much sky in the shot or foreground. All of these are much easier and accurate shooting manual especially exposure. You also have the option in shooting in AEB.
For me dji drones do a great job for quick panos maybe holiday locations etc, but if I need a pano specific then I find the only way to guarantee  correct exposure and to frame correctly is to shoot manually and its pretty simple. Its not as quick but if your worried about taking “quick” panorama landscape photos then they will nearly always have flaws in them. The one thing about landscape photographers is they are slow deliberate for good reasons.

But the manual options are good fun and quick .
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-31 16:43
Its very difficult to perfectly expose for 360 pano unless you shoot manually . It can also be difficult to expose for 180 pano and get what you want in the shot using auto, almost impossible to judge where and when the photo will begin or end. Also difficult to judge how much sky in the shot or foreground. All of these are much easier and accurate shooting manual especially exposure. You also have the option in shooting in AEB.
For me dji drones do a great job for quick panos maybe holiday locations etc, but if I need a pano specific then I find the only way to guarantee  correct exposure and to frame correctly is to shoot manually and its pretty simple. Its not as quick but if your worried about taking “quick” panorama landscape photos then they will nearly always have flaws in them. The one thing about landscape photographers is they are slow deliberate for good reasons.

I have been using individual frames to make my panos (in Adobe Camera Raw) for as long as I can remember, never had many issues with automatically taken frames.
As you know, my "thing" is sunset, and the time is super precious, as the light can change within a minute from "wow" to "ok" and then to "meh". With the manual process, I sometimes start with "wow" and finish with "meh", so I have to make smaller panos to ensure the light quality.
The speed is absolutely crucial in such conditions.
2022-1-31
Use props
liezenblau
lvl.3
  • >>>
Austria

I don't understand why I can't do the panorama with manual settings. From my point of view, it would be ideal if I always had the setting for the panorama pictures that I set in photo mode. So manually all images with fixed preset manual settings. Auto Mode exposure all images automatically.
From my point of view, the panorama function should only take pictures of the different positions. That's what I do on the ground too.
Stitching function off/on
2022-2-1
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Please add AEB aswell, early morning and sunset there is way too much dynamic range for one single exposure to handle, we are limited to midday panoramas.  and while you are at it please add 360 cylindrical panorama
2022-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Skyris Posted at 2-1 13:54
Please add AEB aswell, early morning and sunset there is way too much dynamic range for one single exposure to handle, we are limited to midday panoramas.  and while you are at it please add 360 cylindrical panorama

Can’t see them adding AEB to panos, a sphere would require 150 exposures X3 and 250 x5.  AEB manual AEB panos are very easy to do and process.
2022-2-1
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 14:12
Can’t see them adding AEB to panos, a sphere would require 150 exposures X3 and 250 x5.  AEB manual AEB panos are very easy to do and process.

it is but how much easier is it to press one button. also the M3 takes a sphere in 25 frames so x3 would be 75 and x5 125
2022-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Skyris Posted at 2-1 19:13
it is but how much easier is it to press one button. also the M3 takes a sphere in 25 frames so x3 would be 75 and x5 125

Ok 75 125, how does it know from 3 AEB which one is correctly exposed ? I would have thought most photographers would prefer to have their own input in editing such big projects. Than leaving the camera to do it for them. Yes its a bit more work but also more control. I mean don’t photographers take raw images for this very reason of being able to control how the photo looks.
2022-2-2
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 00:16
Ok 75 125, how does it know from 3 AEB which one is correctly exposed ? I would have thought most photographers would prefer to have their own input in editing such big projects. Than leaving the camera to do it for them. Yes its a bit more work but also more control. I mean don’t photographers take raw images for this very reason of being able to control how the photo looks.

Sorry i dont know what you mean.
I am asking for the camera to shoot 3 raw brackets of exposure and let the drone take the angles. Its pretty tedious to turn shoot turn shoot turn shoot when your drone can do it for you.
2022-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Skyris Posted at 2-2 00:36
Sorry i dont know what you mean.
I am asking for the camera to shoot 3 raw brackets of exposure and let the drone take the angles. Its pretty tedious to turn shoot turn shoot turn shoot when your drone can do it for you.

Your drone can only do it as it sees fit, you don’t control what the drone takes, you set up in the middle of the shot and hope it gets what you want in the frame, if it takes to much you have to crop and if it misses something in the foreground or left or right you have to take the whole pano again. I do think its quicker but landscape photography is not really a quick sport. Taking 5 shots across 3 times takes about 3 minutes manually. The 360 is a different kettle of fish.
2022-2-2
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 02:31
Your drone can only do it as it sees fit, you don’t control what the drone takes, you set up in the middle of the shot and hope it gets what you want in the frame, if it takes to much you have to crop and if it misses something in the foreground or left or right you have to take the whole pano again. I do think its quicker but landscape photography is not really a quick sport. Taking 5 shots across 3 times takes about 3 minutes manually. The 360 is a different kettle of fish.

Sorry this doesnt make any sense to me, I am only asking for the spherical pano feature to have an option for AEB for scenes with high dynamic range... I dont understand why your telling me all of this.
2022-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Skyris Posted at 2-2 12:37
Sorry this doesnt make any sense to me, I am only asking for the spherical pano feature to have an option for AEB for scenes with high dynamic range... I dont understand why your telling me all of this.

It doesn’t matter if its spherical or 180, they’re not difficult to shoot, your looking for AEB and to be able to shoot raw. This is not that difficult manually and the fact you cannot shoot it auto and likely never will. Your left with for you is the worst option shoot in bad light and that doesn’t really make any sense. Of course you have the option not to shoot at all.
2022-2-2
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 12:51
It doesn’t matter if its spherical or 180, they’re not difficult to shoot, your looking for AEB and to be able to shoot raw. This is not that difficult manually and the fact you cannot shoot it auto and likely never will. Your left with for you is the worst option shoot in bad light and that doesn’t really make any sense. Of course you have the option not to shoot at all.

Hey if you dont ask you dont get... I have been asking for this for a while and your right will prob never happen, a simple thing for dji to add, you can do this with litchi although not as quick as dji's app.. but no SDK means no Litchi for now
It is tedious to shoot spherical after spherical, I do this for a job and if I can press one button to take it I would.
2022-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Skyris Posted at 2-2 14:25
Hey if you dont ask you dont get... I have been asking for this for a while and your right will prob never happen, a simple thing for dji to add, you can do this with litchi although not as quick as dji's app.. but no SDK means no Litchi for now
It is tedious to shoot spherical after spherical, I do this for a job and if I can press one button to take it I would.

I think if you try you’ll find its not that difficult. All photographers using handheld shoot 360s manually with really great results, big files though.
2022-2-2
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 14:34
I think if you try you’ll find its not that difficult. All photographers using handheld shoot 360s manually with really great results, big files though.

I see you want to get the last word in.... go ahead..
2022-2-2
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I would also like to add similar feature request for Hyperlapse.
When individual frames are saved, whether in JPEG or DNG, there must be an option to NOT create a resulting movie.
I personally, never use it anyway, so it's a pure waste of a precious flight time.
2022-2-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

djiuser_3MllD4ggWTY2 Posted at 2-9 09:20
He usually denies, deflects, creates a straw man argument, insults, and then shills. It’s his modus operandi for years here. It’s referred to as the “Hallmark Recipe”.

Banned again, NGC? Just stop!
2022-2-9
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes please DJI allow us to save the 360 pano pictures individually to do our own post-processing !!!!!
2022-2-9
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 2-9 09:26
Yes please DJI allow us to save the 360 pano pictures individually to do our own post-processing !!!!!

We can save them now. What is needed is not to waste time assembling the little earth gizmo while we're flying and shooting.
2022-2-9
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

It will be nice to have an enable-disable option to stitch the pano automatically. In this way will take only the pano pictures in a separate folder. In the perfect world !!!
2022-2-9
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 2-9 09:32
It will be nice to have an enable-disable option to stitch the pano automatically. In this way will take only the pano pictures in a separate folder. In the perfect world !!!

Exactly. And it already stores pano pics in separate folder, as it does hyperlapses frames.
All is needed is NOT to stitch/render the outcome. Just a checkbox.
2022-2-9
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_3MllD4ggWTY2 Posted at 2-9 09:20
He usually denies, deflects, creates a straw man argument, insults, and then shills. He then sends private messages attacking those who disagree with him and calls them trolls. It’s his modus operandi for years here. It’s referred to as the “Hallmark Recipe”.
The guy spends like hours upon hours every day here for the past 6 years or so.

Really sad.. Must have anything else to do.. just got to ignore those people.
2022-2-9
Use props
idomeirovich
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11853189 ft
  • >>>
Israel

this is so correct !!! mavic 3 is for pro and advanced photograhers and from my pov is a waste of valuable flight time. i can take so much less pano with my mavic3 compared to the pvpv2.0
2022-2-9
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

idomeirovich Posted at 2-9 22:21
this is so correct !!! mavic 3 is for pro and advanced photograhers and from my pov is a waste of valuable flight time. i can take so much less pano with my mavic3 compared to the pvpv2.0

Exactly. it's especially hurting since the actual capture is so much faster, but all the time gained is wasted in stitching, and then some.
2022-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DarthSLR Posted at 2-10 06:55
Exactly. it's especially hurting since the actual capture is so much faster, but all the time gained is wasted in stitching, and then some.

So I haven’t shot any panos with M3. It shoots faster. Then what happens after that that slows the whole thing down ?
2022-2-10
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-10 06:58
So I haven’t shot any panos with M3. It shoots faster. Then what happens after that that slows the whole thing down ?

It takes a very long time to stitch the resulting pano.
I think it's because it makes a much larger pano than M2P, so it takes much longer.
With M2P the stitching was relatively fast, and capture took longer, so the stitching time felt adequate. However, the capture on M3 is really fast, which is awesome, and now stitching feels like a pure waste of time.
2022-2-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules