123Next >
31093 81 2014-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
firedog121
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25686 ft
United Kingdom

Hi I recieved my Phantom 2 Friday charged everything up ready for some flying Saturday. I had a great first flight very stable in the air was doing circuits around the field trying to get used to the controls so first flight all ok. 2nd flight placed the copter on the floor turned everything on powered up the copter and only 3 of the motors were working at full speed. I am really gutted I have invested a lot of money in the copter and for this to happen on the 2nd flight I am starting to have regrets buying it. So let's see how good the shop I bought it from are with sorting this out!

2014-12-7
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Shame, it is really disappointing when this sort of thing happens, so far mine has been ok, but its always in the back of my mind.
2014-12-7
Use props
firedog121
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I don't understand why the motors aren't plug and play. Would be a lot easier for the shop to send a new motor rather than send the whole phantom back.
2014-12-7
Use props
siweckipawel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57070 ft
  • >>>
Poland

firedog121@hotm Posted at 2014-12-7 20:02
I don't understand why the motors aren't plug and play. Would be a lot easier for the shop to send a ...

It is not a faulty motor, it is ESC  failure. All I can say is that  something wrong is going on  with these news motors and old (upgraded fw only) ESC. We have sold over 100 pcs of Phantom 2 and never had any problems with ESC, right now Phantom 2 v.2 ( we have sold 20pcs) and 3 of them had the same issue you are having. When you open the Phantom shell you will see the burnt out MOSFET on the ESC board.

I think the ESC are to weak for these new powerful  motors.

Pawel
2014-12-7
Use props
knarfboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 494508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The ESC need a new Firmware 4.06

http://www.drohnen-forum.de/inde ... tID=25295#post25295
2014-12-7
Use props
firedog121
lvl.1
United Kingdom

3 of the motors were cold and the one that isn't working was hot and smelt of burning.
2014-12-7
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

siweckipawel@gm Posted at 2014-12-8 01:50
It is not a faulty motor, it is ESC  failure. All I can say is that  something wrong is going on   ...

What's your opinion on using the new props with the old motors/esc's?
2014-12-8
Use props
na5n
lvl.4
United States

siweckipawel@gm Posted at 2014-12-8 01:50
It is not a faulty motor, it is ESC  failure. All I can say is that  something wrong is going on   ...

One of my motors failed on my 16th flight just as it was landing (new version).  No crash, just a mild tip-over with a distinct puff of white smoke coming from the arm and smelling like burned PCB.

To DJI and others:

I am an electronic engineer by trade.  Took the Phantom apart this evening.  The ESC on the bad motor arm is completely fried.  Two of the mosfet ICs are completely blown - split wide open typical of when the die gets blown out of the package (catastrophic substrate failure).  All three wires are melted.  The insulation on the red wire got so hot, the insulation peeled off (split) and the wire melted into the black wire causing the black and red to be fused and shorted together.  That's dumping nearly the full 5A of the battery into the short.  No doubt what blew the mosfet drivers.   Yellow wire melted into the two blown ICs.

What is a bit disturbing is the motor wires on 2 of the 3 remaining arms are also partially melted and clearly showing signs of severe heat stress from the ESC board all the way to the motors.  Obviously, the new motors with 25% more power are drawing far more current than the wires (AWG#22 ?, generally good for 1A) can handle.  I suspect the heating of the wiring caused my black and red to fuse and short together, blowing the mosfet drivers.  The good motor/ESC wiring doesn't look far behind - the insulation is warped and distorted.

Disconnecting the bad motor and one good motor, the stator winding resistance is about the same, hopefully indicating the motor is OK.

I recommend going to #20 or #18 wire for the motor drives.  Rework the ESC so the motor wires terminate on the motor end of the board (not the side) - this way, the wires would be shorter and arranged so they do not touch, and reduce the inductance for the reverse voltage fly-back from the stepper motors.  The mosfet drivers are rated at 6-8A which should be sufficient.  Disconnecting the bad ESC, I ran the other motors, which looks like you're using a 400Hz 3-phase stepper drive, PWM modulated for speed control.  What is the maximum motor current draw at maximum PWM duty cycle?  I didn't want to rev up the motors without the load of the props to measure the current.

For others who open up your new Phantom, I suggest rearranging the 3 motor wires (black, yellow and red) to ensure they are not touching to avoid a short when the insulation gets so hot, it starts getting soft.  If the ESC fails in flight, it's coming down like a rock.

I love my Phantom and there is plenty of clever, well thought-out engineering in the craft.  However, it does appear the new Ver. 2 ESC falls a bit short with the higher current draw of the new motors.

Paul

I have photos of the failed ESC if anyone at DJI wants to see them.

2014-12-8
Use props
firedog121
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok so its all parcelled up and ready for collection to go back to quadcopters.co.uk costing me for the return postage which I think is a cheek considering how much the thing cost and how long I have flown it 1/2 an hour. Will post more when they have had a look at it.
2014-12-9
Use props
rare1a1
lvl.2

United States

To be clear, was this on a p2 v +  or the newest version 3?
2014-12-9
Use props
siweckipawel
lvl.3
  • >>>
Poland

away-point Posted at 2014-12-9 05:38
What's your opinion on using the new props with the old motors/esc's?

No problem, you can use new props with old motors, new props are more stiff, something  between old props and carbon props.

But I would rather not mix old props and new props on single quad.
2014-12-9
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

siweckipawel@gm Posted at 2014-12-10 02:35
No problem, you can use new props with old motors, new props are more stiff, something  between ol ...

Thanks!
2014-12-9
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

na5n, distressing news.  Hope DJI hires you.
2014-12-9
Use props
rod
lvl.4

New Zealand

na5n@zianet.com Posted at 2014-12-9 15:49
One of my motors failed on my 16th flight just as it was landing (new version).  No crash, just a  ...

Hi Paul,
Jeez, you are not seriously expecting an answer beyond " download new software and recalibrate" or "contact your local distributor" are you?? (not on this forum anyway- I think they read it from a list similar to those IT help lines!!!)
You clearly know your stuff and I hope DJI are listening to you at a higher level, so you may get some advanced technical feedback. Great that you shared this with us- although I am a mechanical rather than electronics engineer I get most of your observations. Keep us informed on any feedback you might get.   The users on this site have bought much more to the learning process than DJI ever have.  I guess that's the power of mass experience! Cheers!
Rod
2014-12-9
Use props
firedog121
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Its a brand new Phantom 2 with a Gimble and Go Pro 4 and mini iosd with FPV.

2014-12-10
Use props
siweckipawel
lvl.3
  • >>>
Poland

My one last question :

Why da hell motor wires are two times thinner than before ?  Wiring in previous version was really solid, with thick cables. Now 25% more powerful motors wired with so thin cables. Where is logic?

It is a retorical question, I doubt if anybody from DJI will answer .

2014-12-10
Use props
na5n
lvl.4
United States

siweckipawel@gm Posted at 2014-12-11 04:18
My one last question :

Why da hell motor wires are two times thinner than before ?  Wiring in previ ...

Never saw the wiring in the original P2Vs, but they do appear to be heftier in photos.  The motors have to be 95% of the current load on the ESC, and therefore should be very close to the wire size of the 11v coming into the ESC board.  Those look like #18 or even #16.  The motor wires are much smaller.

For the non-electronic types, it would be like hooking a garden hose to a 4-inch fire hose to get water and expecting all that water to come out of the garden hose.  Instead, all that water flowing into the smaller garden hose would likely make something burst.  In electronics, sending too much water (current) down a wire makes heat - severe heat if excessive.

Even on my remaining functional ESC/motor arms, the motor wiring is showing severe signs of heating, blistering and melting on the wire insulation ... signs of a serious short coming of power management in the new ESC and motor wiring.

In my case, I also live just shy of 5,000 feet ASL in New Mexico, meaning the motors are also working a bit harder due to the thinner air over sea level.  I'll have to do some figuring, but that probably doesn't add more than 5% (10% tops) more motor current.

DJI needs to address this - FAST.  As these motor wires start melting causing ESC failures, lots of the new version P2Vs are going to start falling out of the sky or perhaps already the cause of a few wild fly aways.

For the good news, I contacted the vendor where I bought mine, who in turn contacted DJI with my data and photos of the burned wiring.  Instead of fixing it under warranty (2 month wait), they have agreed to send me a new ESC board and motor to repair myself under warranty and for me to take a few measurements.  It sounds like reports of these "premature ESC failures" are starting to come in and it appears DJI is listening.  Hopefully we'll see a new ESC board and heftier wires on motors before long.

I'll continue to update any developments from the vendor or DJI.

Paul
2014-12-10
Use props
rare1a1
lvl.2

United States

Paul, is your model p2v+ or the newest version three?   What is your camera setup?
2014-12-11
Use props
na5n
lvl.4
United States

rare1a1@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-12 00:37
Paul, is your model p2v+ or the newest version three?   What is your camera setup?

It is the new "Version 3" P2V+ with the new motors and ESC, new RC with the camera tilt thumbwheel, and the integrated camera, using an Ipod 4 for the FPV.  The ESC board says "Ver. 2."  Not sure what other camera setup info you are seeking.

Paul
2014-12-11
Use props
rare1a1
lvl.2

United States

Thanks paul. Was thinking of upgrading the motors and speed controllers. Maybe I'll hold off. I have the integrated camera as well which should be lighter than the gp setup.
2014-12-11
Use props
john
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have just received my new Vision 2 + Version 3.
Props attached, I tried to spin up the props as the first step in setting up for flight.
Three props spinning correctly and one prop twitching and useless.
I have just spent a little under £1000 for a potential flying bomb.
I am now being asked to pack everything up for return to the supplier who will then investigate and decide what action to take.
I think I should have listened when I was advised to look elsewhere.
What concerns me is how confident can I be if and when I get a replacement?
What is DJI doing to resolve what is an obvious product defect?
2014-12-12
Use props
firedog121
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So I sent the copter back on Tue 9th they received on the 10th spoke to the guy yesterday who said mine would be looked at today. Called them today and they have had no power for most of the day so unable to look at my copter. I did try and give them some feedback about the communication between customer and there business but he wasn't really listening he was right and I was wrong nothing like keeping the customer informed of how the repair is going or not.  He then tells me that basically anyone that calls up with this type of warranty repair have in some way broken it themselves basically we are all liars! He said even as a main dealer they make very little money on the copter and that any repairs that are made that eats into there profit. He quoted they make £32 per copter and that's it with little or no warranty support from DJI. Why you would sign up to such conditions is beyond me can't make good business sense, great for DJI but very poor for the dealer. I also said I have invested a great deal of money in this. When I said I had only flown it for 1/2 an hour he said at least you got that! If you are going to buy something like this I would really recommend buying from a local dealer to get face to face support. At the moment I feel this copter is a black hole, hopefully it can all get sorted out and I can be a happy customer but I will wait out on that one!
2014-12-12
Use props
nhilliard
lvl.1

Canada

Well am I ever so glad that I stumbled across this thread, my wife figures we have bought a lemon and the above replies suggest that DJI need to do something soon. I have owned my Phantom 2 Vision Plus Ver.3 for 2 weeks and in this time I have replaced (3) ESC's. I haven't seen the catastrophic failures as indicated by others but still failures. In 2 cases minor burning of the mosfets, and 1 was a total burn up. I have not witnessed the burning of the wiring to the motors, only some very slight discoloration of the yellow wire. Luckily for me all failures happened while on the ground, in fact just after landing and then on start up(motors wouldn't start) smoke would come billowing out of the motor area. Looking forward to a permanent fix to this obvious problem with the ESC's
2014-12-13
Use props
uwe.loewer
lvl.1

Germany

Hello,
I got the same problem 2 days ago at the Moment while hovering about 1.5 m above ground (P2V+). Suddenly back left engine failure, the Copter turned On it's back with the Blink of an eye, and crashed on it's back.
Smoke came out of the back left Arm, and the smell of burned electronics.
Ten days before this happened, i got my Copter back from DJI Repair Center, with all NEW ESC and latest Firmware 2.0/Rev. 4.06., and mounted new motors "2312"

After a short look inside it was VERY obvious that the MOSFET directly beneath the BLACK WIRE was damaged, the blank metal of this wire (Isolation cut off perhaps a little bit too much for solder purposes) was VERY CLOSE to the MOSFET  (View Photos)

At the Moment I haven't any idea what could have happened....
with NEW Motors and all NEW ESC with Most actual Firmware all should have been well....
Photos: (should have been posted just topside down)
Hope that the pictures will help DJI to identify and solve the problem in General.....

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2014-12-14
Use props
jackiedh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83589314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where do you see this firmware version listed to check out what version you have?  I don't see it anywhere in the assistant software- upgrade page-
And where would you get this version if you need it?
I don't see it listed in the Vision+ download area...

Thanks

Jack
2014-12-14
Use props
jackiedh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83589314 ft
  • >>>
United States

anyone?

Jack
2014-12-15
Use props
knarfboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 494508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The Firmware Version is on the white label on the botom of the ESC board:

If had had v2.0 it is Firmware 4.02
Is it v2.1 you have Firmware 4.06 or higher.

No versions no. on this label? It's a know joke from dji....:

a. your Phantom 2 is a old Version with the old motor's you have a 1.0 ESC or the Firmware 4.0x (ESC 2.0) on it.

b. your Phantom is a new Version with the stronger Motors on it you have a 2.0 ESC with Firmware 4.02

And the bad news, only DJI can update the firmware!

Pictures? Here:

http://www.drohnen-forum.de/inde ... tID=26218#post26218

But read here: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2908

siweckipawel wrote at: 2014-12-8 01:50

It is not a faulty motor, it is ESC failure. All I can say is that something wrong is going on with these news motors and old (upgraded fw only) ESC. We have sold over 100 pcs of Phantom 2 and never had any problems with ESC, right now Phantom 2 v.2 ( we have sold 20pcs) and 3 of them had the same issue you are having. When you open the Phantom shell you will see the burnt out MOSFET on the ESC board.

I think the ESC are to weak for these new powerful Motors.

2014-12-15
Use props
Dboy
lvl.3

China

Looks like lots of feedbacks from V2.0,
How about the Version 3.0, Any failure?
2014-12-15
Use props
crc2004
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63461 ft
United States

na5n@zianet.com Posted at 2014-12-11 11:31
Never saw the wiring in the original P2Vs, but they do appear to be heftier in photos.  The motors ...

Paul, thanks for your posts I think I'll copy and paste to the https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vision.Plus.Owners/ Facebook group.
2014-12-17
Use props
na5n
lvl.4
United States

crc2004 Posted at 2014-12-18 09:58
Paul, thanks for your posts I think I'll copy and paste to the https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vis ...

That is fine with me.  I'm hoping to get my new ESC and motor soon so I can affect the repairs, for which I intend to photograph, document, and take pertinent voltage measurements, etc.

Too bad my P2V+ is broke.  The "dead of winter" in New Mexico so far has been great flying weather slipping by! :-(

Paul
2014-12-17
Use props
firedog121
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok so it's not a motor failure but as it's been said an ESC failure confirmed by quadcopters.co.uk yesterday. I have been told it won't be back with me until after the New Year as they have no ESC boards and are waiting for a shipment from China. Not a bad return for £1500 invested!!
2014-12-18
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

what do you mean with only DJI can update the ESCs? I dont understand the problem, if you have a newer Phantom with the newer Motors you should already have the newest ESC FW, so its kind of pointless to me. Or do you mean DJI should build in new designed ESCs?
2014-12-18
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

Dboy Posted at 2014-12-16 11:26
Looks like lots of feedbacks from V2.0,
How about the Version 3.0, Any failure?

Phantom2 V2 and Phantom2 vision+ V3 have build in the same ESCs and Motors as far as i know
2014-12-18
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Daninho Posted at 2014-12-18 18:49
Phantom2 V2 and Phantom2 vision+ V3 have build in the same ESCs and Motors as far as i know

The Phantom 2 v+ upgrade to v3 has new more power in the motors and new esc's to match them.
2014-12-18
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-18 19:28
The Phantom 2 v+ upgrade to v3 has new more power in the motors and new esc's to match them.

i know that the new P2's using the new Motors and ESCs but i mean the difference between the Phantom 2 V2 and the Phantom2 vision+ V3, i think both have the new motors and ESCs.
2014-12-18
Use props
firedog121
lvl.1
United Kingdom

The ESC is burnt out and requires a new one but the company I bought the Phantom from do not have any new V3 ESC's in stock.
2014-12-18
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

firedog121@hotm Posted at 2014-12-19 01:45
The ESC is burnt out and requires a new one but the company I bought the Phantom from do not have an ...

Hi, firedog121:
Which country did you buy your drone? I'll send a feedback to our logistics dept for their reference.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
2014-12-18
Use props
na5n
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2014-12-19 10:00
Hi, firedog121:
Which country did you buy your drone? I'll send a feedback to our logistics dept fo ...

DJI-Dboy:
My P2V+ ESC failed (2 MOSFET chips completely destroyed and melted motor wiring) in November while on the ground, within my warranty period.  I am awaiting an ESC and motor from the vendor under warranty.  I have also purchased an ESC and motor from that vendor, and another.  All remain on back order for 3 weeks and I've been told there are currently no V.2 ESCs in the U.S.A., awaiting a shipment from China.

This forum reveals lots of people with premature ESC failures with the new P2V+.  The V.2 ESC obviously falls short to power the new motors with 25% more power.  I am hoping this delay is due to DJI designing a more robust replacement.

We would all appreciate an update on this situation and availability of replacement or new ESCs.  We're all missing our grounded birds!

Thanks
Paul
2014-12-19
Use props
firedog121
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2014-12-19 10:00
Hi, firedog121:
Which country did you buy your drone? I'll send a feedback to our logistics dept fo ...

Hi I bought the Phantom from in the UK from Quadcopters they aid the ESC's were coming in as the same time as the back ordered Inspire 1's
2014-12-19
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

na5n@zianet.com Posted at 2014-12-20 02:37
DJI-Dboy:
My P2V+ ESC failed (2 MOSFET chips completely destroyed and melted motor wiring) in Nove ...

Hi, Paul,
Thanks for your detailed description in technical. It is our customers' support that makes DJI Innoviation's products more user-friendly and mature.
I've already summarized the feedbacks in this thread and send to RD colleagues. For any further information I will let you know.
2014-12-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules