Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Pro remote controller cracked open
12Next >
6313 45 2015-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sandis.kajins
New

Latvia

Hi there,

Strange thing happened recently involving my phantom 3 controller.
I was traveling abroad and took my phantom 3 Pro with me in B&W Type 61 case.
I packed everything in the case in perfect condition and once arrived in my final destination and took the copter out
found that the controller has falen apart, 3 out of 4 mounts have completley broken off, exposure wheel broken off and both antenna mounts
cracked.

Case is super though and does not flex even slightest so I highly doubt that the case is to blame.
slot for the controller is towards the side of the case where it is the toughest and also antennas sit lower than phantom 3 props so sureley phantom itself would be damadged too, but it's fine. Also upon close inspection the controller does not have any marks on it to indicate that it has been dropped. Case was also locked by a padlock.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar issues and what can I do about it.
At the moment it is a complete mistery for of how this could have happened.

I have attached some photos to show the damadge.

IMG_2973.JPG
IMG_2974.JPG
IMG_2975.JPG
IMG_2976.JPG
IMG_2977.JPG
IMG_2978.JPG
2015-8-28
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WOW, I cannot even think how this would happen under "normal circumstances".

You don't mention if the case was hand luggage or checked luggage when flying abroad ( assuming you flew )

You sure it wasn't opened by customs and possibly damaged?
2015-8-28
Use props
airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

I have a B&W Type 61 case for my P3P, they are one of the toughest cases you can buy, looks like someone was messing with your kit.
2015-8-28
Use props
Nemmo
lvl.2

Russia

Do You know the serial number of Your RC. May be just now it not Yours already
2015-8-28
Use props
sandis.kajins
New

Latvia

Case was checked in luggage, but still I can't think what would they have to do to it to damage the controller this badly as the case is super though. Also it had padlock on, but I guess they have master keys for everything. I also didn't think of writing down the serial numbers to compare later. My initial thought was that they have opened the case and dropped the controller, but there is not a single dent, or scratch on it that would suggest that. I'm really puzzled and p***d off knowing that I will most likely spend a small fortune to get a new one.
2015-8-28
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check the original Phantom 3 box, I'm sure it has the serial numbers on that ( definitely P3 not sure of RC )
2015-8-28
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

United States

I always fly with my phantom right above my airline seat in the overhead bin.  Checked luggage can be and normally is opened for inspection.  Maybe they dropped your controller.  Bottom line your out of luck and no where to go except order a new controller.
2015-8-28
Use props
puterwiz
lvl.1

United States

It may have been damaged purposely so you could not fly it at your destination place.
2015-8-28
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

Was there damage to anything else in the box?

I have two guesses.

1) The box was dropped from a height.  Inertia might have caused the case to split like that especially if the foam was not touching the controller on the antennea.

2) The battery blew in high atmosphere.  I see some tiny dark bits in the pictures.  Could this be battery residue?  Open up the battery compartment and inspect the battery.

HTH
2015-8-28
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

sandis.kajins@g Posted at 2015-8-28 18:30
Case was checked in luggage, but still I can't think what would they have to do to it to damage the  ...

I'm sure it's not that difficult to open padlock. My guess is that someone did open it at customs. Why? Who knows.
2015-8-28
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only other thing i can think of is that whoever was screening luggage opened up your case, pulled out the controller to see what's under it and accidentally dropped your controller on the ground....does it look like there is an impact point on it?   I would definitely report this to the airline you flew with..... that's a $600 controller.  When you say locked by a padlock, I'm assuming it was a TSA approved padlock?

Nevermind...saw you other post above...you are thinking the same thing.
2015-8-28
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2015-8-28 09:58

I have two guesses.

Interesting idea on #2......lipo batteries definitely can explode in compartments that aren't properly pressurized.
2015-8-28
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

That sucks...  but it's yet another reason to use NON-TSA approved locks and make sure your stuff is securely packed.  
2015-8-28
Use props
aek
lvl.1

Sweden

From the pictures, it is clear that massive force has been applied to the antennas. They have been pushed in to the controller.
So this is probably due to the case being compressed. Even with such a strong case it will give a bit when exposed to a lot of force or weight.

2015-8-28
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Sorry to hear about the damage but Pretty sure it is against regulations to check baggage with LiPo's in them in the first place, extremely dangerous and could definitely go kaboom!
2015-8-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It does not matter how tough the case is, all that determines is if the case will be damaged. The sort of damage you have can simply be caused by someone dropping your case from a height onto a hard surface, as in out of the hold of the aircraft onto the ground or a waiting baggage trolley.

I have had well protected broadcast equipment damaged in this way. Baggage handlers are not the least concerned about damage they cause.
2015-8-28
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

aek Posted at 2015-8-28 14:33
From the pictures, it is clear that massive force has been applied to the antennas. They have been p ...

I agree with aek.

That is definitively caused by the antennas being pushed in.
2015-8-28
Use props
AirWizard
lvl.2

United States

Could this have been caused by air pressure. My case had instruction on removing the rubber seal if I was to fly with the case being checked?
2015-8-28
Use props
sprawl
lvl.2

Finland

AirWizard Posted at 2015-8-29 10:28
Could this have been caused by air pressure. My case had instruction on removing the rubber seal if  ...

I think that controller is not so tight that air pressure can do that damage. If air pressure is reason for that, the controller must be VERY tight in everywhere.

Im quite sure that someone opened that case and dropped it in the floor, and it hit antennas first on the floor because the plastic is inside the controller.

REPORT to airlines, and ask if someone knows something about this case.
2015-8-29
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

By looking at where the rc has broken to me that's the perfect place for you hands and a screwdriver if you wanted to lever break it open.
2015-8-29
Use props
aek
lvl.1

Sweden

If the transport case is of the sealed type (a rubber sealing around the edge) it most certainly also have an air vent screw.
You have to open this screw during flight to avoid having the transport case being compressed during flight.
If you do not set the vent to open position before flight, then when at high altitude, the case will still let air out when air pressure is lower in the cabin/storage.

BUT, when the airplane then descends and the air pressure in the cabin increase, the case will be severely compressed.
This is most probably the cause of your antennas being pushed into the RC casing.

Did you open the vent before checking in the transport case?

Edit:
Judging from your pictures, your case IS of the sealed type.
Then you will have a hard time blame anyone else but your self, or possible the case manufacturer for not informing you of this.

Edit 2:
I did a fact check and a calculation on this:

The air pressure in the cabin goes as low as about 75% of the air pressure at sea level.
This means that an average air tight transportation case for a drone (50x42cm) would experience a force equivalent of putting a weight of about 500kg or 1100 lb on top of it at the time when the air plane lands!
Assuming that the case vents out air when the cabin pressure decrease (when air craft ascends), and that it is air tight when compressed as the air pressure around it increase (when air craft descends).
2015-8-29
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Oh man thats is messed up sorry to say it but anything checked in the belly of the airplane WILL be handled like this :

2015-8-29
Use props
aek
lvl.1

Sweden

This is the valve you have to make sure is open when taking your drone on a trip in an air plane:

2015-8-29
Use props
aek
lvl.1

Sweden

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 00:41
Oh man thats is messed up sorry to say it but anything checked in the belly of the airplane WILL be  ...

Horrifying, but nothing in those videos are likely the cause of the damage in this case.
2015-8-29
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

aek Posted at 2015-8-29 18:20
If the transport case is of the sealed type (a rubber sealing around the edge) it most certainly als ...

So what you are saying when the aircraft is up high the case sucked itself down and crushed its contents, but why the phantom was not reported damaged and only the RC is ?
2015-8-29
Use props
aek
lvl.1

Sweden

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 01:59
So what you are saying when the aircraft is up high the case sucked itself down and crushed its co ...

No, read again.

At high altitude, the air pressure is lower, so the higher air pressure in the case will sip out.
(The case cant hold overpressure, but will be shut air tight when the surrounding air pressure is higher than inside the case.)
Then when the plane descends and the air pressure in the cabin increase, the case can not let air in, and will be compressed.
2015-8-29
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

aek Posted at 2015-8-29 20:07
No, read again.

At high altitude, the air pressure is lower, so the higher air pressure in the ca ...

OH LOL the other way around, but then there is the same question why the phantom shell did not crack and only the RC experienced damage ?
2015-8-29
Use props
aek
lvl.1

Sweden

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 02:12
OH LOL the other way around, but then there is the same question why the phantom shell did not cra ...

Absolutely, good point, I have no idea.
Maybe there were more headroom above/below the phantom shell or the landing gear flexed, I don't know.

Or maybe his case experienced what happened @3:04 in your second video {:3_57:}
2015-8-29
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

aek Posted at 2015-8-29 20:18
Absolutely, good point, I have no idea.
Maybe there were more headroom above/below the phantom sh ...

But then when i look at the picture of the placement of the RC and the phantom, the RC is at the edge where the thick edge is and lower than the phantom motors, so in case of suction due to air pressure change, the first thing that would start cracking is the motor mounts then everything else after.

I am betting on employee abuse and jealousy, depends where the OP was coming back from.
2015-8-29
Use props
sharper4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 767379 ft
United States

I would most definitely put a claim in against the airline, proof or not.  It stands to reason that you didn't travel with your drone in that type of condition and I can't image cabin pressure caused that type of damage.
2015-8-31
Use props
sandis.kajins
New

United Kingdom

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2015-8-28 14:58

I have two guesses.

Everything else was intact. I thought it was the battery at first, but inspecting it showed no damage.
The black residue is probably finger marks or bits from foam.

I suspect that your 1st point is more likely although there is foam surrounding the controller from all 4 sides.
2015-9-7
Use props
sandis.kajins
New

United Kingdom

Flight Raptor Posted at 2015-8-28 15:11
Interesting idea on #2......lipo batteries definitely can explode in compartments that aren't prop ...

battery is completely intact
2015-9-7
Use props
sandis.kajins
New

United Kingdom

dji.blitzk Posted at 2015-8-28 18:53
That sucks...  but it's yet another reason to use NON-TSA approved locks and make sure your stuff is ...

my padlock is non-tsa, but it's not hard for them to get master keys for any padlocks.
2015-9-7
Use props
sandis.kajins
New

United Kingdom

aek Posted at 2015-8-28 19:33
From the pictures, it is clear that massive force has been applied to the antennas. They have been p ...

It certainly looks like it, but i stood on the case and jumped a little with the phantom inside and that didn't break anything so how did the controller broke is a mystery.  Especially as the controller is at the side of the case where material is the strongest and least susceptible to flexing.
2015-9-7
Use props
sandis.kajins
New

United Kingdom

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-8-28 19:45
Sorry to hear about the damage but Pretty sure it is against regulations to check baggage with LiPo' ...

Not according to ryanair

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms- ... prohibitedarticles/
2015-9-7
Use props
sandis.kajins
New

United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2015-8-29 00:49
It does not matter how tough the case is, all that determines is if the case will be damaged. The so ...

this is exactly what i'm suspecting
2015-9-7
Use props
sandis.kajins
New

United Kingdom

aek Posted at 2015-8-29 23:20
If the transport case is of the sealed type (a rubber sealing around the edge) it most certainly als ...

air valve vas open so that is not to blame
2015-9-7
Use props
sandis.kajins
New

United Kingdom

aek Posted at 2015-8-30 00:39
This is the valve you have to make sure is open when taking your drone on a trip in an air plane:

yes, that valve was open
2015-9-7
Use props
sandis.kajins
New

United Kingdom

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 00:59
So what you are saying when the aircraft is up high the case sucked itself down and crushed its co ...

exactly. Everything else was fine and dandy except the RC. As Phantom sits higher than RC surely the Phantom would be damaged first
2015-9-7
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

This didn't by itself my friend. Does your Padlock have a TSA Key Slot?
2015-9-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules