5.8Ghz NPVT581 Remote Control thumwheel jerky movement
6664 14 2014-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Sigh... I have gimbal jerky (and no, it is not a dried meat snack)

I know other people have had this issue because I have helped troubleshoot them but I am trying to pin down whether it is more of a hardware (bad potientometer) or software (defective firmware) issue.  I have both an older and a newer Phantom 2 Vision+ linked to the remote control so I can easily isolate if it is a problem with the remote or the gimbal on the Phantom.

My problem started after installing the latest firmware 1.0.2.31 with the DJI RC System Assistant 1.2 and I noticed jerky movements in the gimbal when I moved the thumbwheel in the Clockwise direction (camera points up).  

The CounterClockwise movements (camera points down) are still smooth but any attemps to move up are unpredictable.  A YouTube video is available at http://youtu.be/NI39dDI7uaQ

The very same response can be seen when I use the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Assistant v3.6.  What makes me lean more toward a hardware issue is that I can reverse the behavior by clicking the the REV / Normal button (in the RC tab of the Advanced setting under the Sticks Monitor) and then the upward movement of the camera is smooth and the downward movement is jerky.  Clicking the button again reverts the jerkiness back to the Clockwise direction.

So my question is this:  anybody else have gimbal jerky AFTER installing firmware 1.0.2.31?

RESOLUTION!

TRANSMITTER CALIBRATION WITHOUT SOFTWARE (stand alone, does not use RC System Assistant or Phantom 2 Vision Assistant)
( I just revised the instruction a bit to hopefully make it a bit easier to follow, credit goes to "w-nils" for initially posting this gem to the forum!)

1)  Set switch S2 at the OFF position; Switch S1 at the GPS position

2) Push both the THROTTLE and PITCH stick to the top position and hold them there.

3) Turn on the POWER switch.  You should hear the indicator sound of "Di--Di Di" from the transmitter repeatedly.
    -> Toggle switch S2 into the CL position, you should hear an indicator sound of "Di" from the transmitter, in this case the transmitter has entered the calibration mode.
         (THROTTLE and PITCH stick must have been kept in the top position all during this time)

4)  Release the THROTTLE and PITCH sticks and make sure they return to the center position.
    -> Toggle switch S1 to the bottom ATTI position; you should hear an indicator sound of "Di" from the transmitter.  
    -> Move all of the sticks throughout their complete range several times.
        (for those remotes equipped with a throttle lock this means complete movement through the throttle lock position)
    -> Don't forget to move the GIMBAL CONTROL DIAL through it's complete range of movement as well.
    -> After this, put the THROTTLE stick to the bottom position and toggle switch S2 to the HL position, you should hear an indicator sound of "Di" from the transmitter.  
        In this case the transmitter has been calibrated successfully

5)  Turn transmitter off.

TransmitterCalibration - switches.png
2014-12-7
Use props
wayne
New

United States

My problem exactly   my solution is here,
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en

Wayne
2014-12-7
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Flight distance : 138458 ft
Canada

I also had the same issue... Noticed gimbal tilt was smooth via dji app but jerky via dial on RC....  Re calibrated in RC assistant and dji assistant. (X1 axis I believe)..  Just got my pv2 plus v3 Friday...   Only two flights under my belt but loving it so far!!!  I was able to learn a lot from the forum so far!

Thanks
2014-12-7
Use props
Rherb89
New

United States

Gil and I forget who came up with the above instructions but they worked like a charm... : )  .. of course it is raining today   so i can't  fly but will fly tomorrow .. it being sunday its a good day for some football GO PATS....   

Again thanks to all ...
Rherb89
2015-1-18
Use props
jacobleomoore
New

Australia

I have the Vision2+ with the original remote without a gimbal toggle or lever and I can't manage to calibrate my X1 camera pitch to be able to use either arrows or the camera tilt within the iOS app?

Can anybody help me get a response of out gimbal without this updated RC?
2015-4-25
Use props
phi-doo
lvl.1

United States

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!! Your post just solved my problem. I had a completely different issue. When i "up raided" 3.12 my Transmitter power LED turned YELLOW. Going through this process turned the LED green and now starts the motors.
          A Big Thanks Phil.
2015-4-26
Use props
parrish
lvl.1

United States

im hving a similar prob except my camera will not move to a position and hold. When i release the wheel, camera retuns ti horizontal. TRYING TI FIX IT, I noticed the RC calibration of th X1 has a drop down menu that seems to permit changing the channel. Has anyone tried doing that to fix prob. ALSO, my iphone app shiws the camera at exterme up with red. I cannot use app to make a change in the pitch of camera. Ill try method here and see if that helps.
2015-4-26
Use props
gil
lvl.4
United States

parrish@parrish Posted at 2015-4-27 04:49
im hving a similar prob except my camera will not move to a position and hold. When i release the wh ...

Parrish, If you're seeing a drop down menu you're using the RC System Assistant!  

First, try the calibration without software.  Follow the steps exactly.
Next, make sure you're using the latest version of the Vision Assistant http://download.dji-innovations. ... _Installer_v3.8.zip and it's set for the advanced controller.

That should correct it.
2015-4-26
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

I had jerky movement of the gimbal after I had calibrated with Vision Assistant so I did the calibration with the RC assistant and it went away.
2015-4-26
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

I used the procedure Jerry posted and it worked perfect!
2015-4-26
Use props
parrish
lvl.1

United States

Did the manual calibration suggested above. My prob persists. I can make camera pitch downward, but on releasing the wheel, it returns to horizntal. It will not stay in place where I want it.
2015-4-27
Use props
parrish
lvl.1

United States

Called tech support. They said do IMU Cali. To do it I had to do the upgrade on firmware first. App wouldn't have it any other way. Still not working. Still does not work.

This is my second Phantom 2+ in as many months. This one was purchased on 4/3 and arrived 4/13. I did not know a 3 was coming out. DO not know how I missed it. Now they are selling the 3 for less than I paid for the 2 and they were balking at trading this thing that doesn't work on a 3 that may. Pretty frustrated here. Do any of them actually work for long?
2015-4-27
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

parrish@parrish Posted at 2015-4-28 04:00
Called tech support. They said do IMU Cali. To do it I had to do the upgrade on firmware first. App  ...

I have 2 phantom 2 V2 for almost a year with no problems at all.
2015-4-27
Use props
parrish
lvl.1

United States

IO think I fixed it. This is where documentation that is worth something would help. I've found next to nothing on the configuration of X1. I just mistakenly did an adjustment that got the red mark in the center. What I did was to move the wheel to all the way down position. Then to the all the way up and accidentally let it go. Instead of the needle going all the way to the right of the scale, it went to the center. I then went down and let go and it returned to the center. My question: Exactly why didn't two different tech support persons not ask me to look at the X! scale and ask me what I saw? Second question: How do I offer this info to other poor bastards out there facing a similar prob.
2015-4-28
Use props
gil
lvl.4
United States

parrish@parrish Posted at 2015-4-28 22:58
IO think I fixed it. This is where documentation that is worth something would help. I've found next ...

I don't know how you were doing it before but what you did _IS_ the calibration procedure.  By moving the gimba control lever or wheel (depending on which controller you have)  to the two extreme positions you're telling the software where the endpoints are.

That's the same thing you're doing with the two control sticks calibration when moving them throughout the complete range of motion.

Glad to hear it's resolved!
2015-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules