988 10 2023-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JustusLM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1579888 ft
Germany

Hello everyone!
So, there have been plenty of posts from people wanting to set their Mavic 3 to count files continuously, rather than resetting each time.
Well, I want the opposite.

Here's the situation: I bought my Mavic 3 used, and it continued counting from the previous owner's count, which was above DJI_0400.
Now, with how I sort my files, I would most like it to start at 0001 every time I've cleared the data off the SD card, but at the very least, I'd like to reset it at least once to get my own count.

I've tried formatting the SD card (which seemed to reset it for some people who didn't want it), but that didn't work. As far as I can tell, there is no setting for this.
Does anyone know how to reset the count?
2023-7-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rename ''400'' etc. to ''999'' or add a photo with the name DJI_0999, that is if there isn't an option in the camera etc. menus.

But be warned this may result in a lot of images with the same name and be wary of changing the naming scheme via the menus, you'd need to google that but I have the recollection that if you change the scheme from the default you can not revert to the default.
2023-7-16
Use props
JustusLM
lvl.3
Germany

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-16 13:56
rename 400 etc. to 999, that is if there isnt an option in the camera etc. menus.

Turns out it isn't as simple as that, but your reply did set off a series of tests that resulted in finding a workaround:

I had to create a folder called "999MEDIA" and in it a file called "DJI_0999". This leads to the app saying the file index is filled and that the SD card can't be used. Formatting it at this point resets the file index.

Safe to say I won't be doing this every time, but at least I get a fresh count.
Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-16 13:56
But be warned this may result in a lot of images with the same name and be wary of changing the naming scheme via the menus, you'd need to google that but I have the recollection that if you change the scheme from the default you can not revert to the default.

I have never had a problem organizing identically named files in separate folders, but I understand your concerns. Additionally, looking at the menu in the Mavic 2, it sure seems like it could easily be changed back, but to be fair, I've never actually tried it. I'd imagine it just starts a new continuous count at 0001.

2023-7-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JustusLM Posted at 7-16 14:30
Turns out it isn't as simple as that, but your reply did set off a series of tests that resulted in finding a workaround:

I had to create a folder called "999MEDIA" and in it a file called "DJI_0999". This leads to the app saying the file index is filled and that the SD card can't be used. Formatting it at this point resets the file index.

I don't know why the manual creation of folder 999MEDIA was necessary.
Maybe they have messed with the folder structure but with my, non Mavic 3, drones the old "MEDIA" folder was perhaps numbered 100, if that contained the added DJI_0999 then DJI_0000 or perhaps DJI_0001, would be contained in a new MEDIA folder numbered 101 i.e.101MEDIA, and there was no warning about the file index being full.

Alternatively if you have no problem sorting photos then once the photos are on a windows computer rename them using something like Bulk Rename Utility. It allows you to, en masse, delete as selected part  of the names e.g. the old numbers and add your own sequential numbering.
With regards to "Additionally, looking at the menu in the Mavic 2, it sure seems like it could easily be changed back, but to be fair, I've never actually tried it" sadly a lot was lost in moving from Go4 to Fly and there have been posts about the new optional image file naming structure being unreversible. Two steps forward and one back etc. etc.
It doesn't affect me as I don't have a Mavic 3 but I do remember mention of a possible problem .... which is why I said you'd need to google it.
2023-7-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've tried formatting the SD card (which seemed to reset it for some people who didn't want it), but that didn't work. As far as I can tell, there is no setting for this.
Format in the drone and the file index numbering resets to 001.
Format in the computer and file numbering is continuous.
2023-7-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. There are two naming rules of file index. Example: The file index is (001,002,003,004). For example, 003 is deleted.

(1) Reset:
1. If you didn't change the microSD card (does not format the microSD card), the system will start naming from 005.
2. If you change the microSD card (format the microSD card using your computer as Labroides said above), the system will start naming from 001.
(2) Continuous: The system will start naming from 005 regardless of whether the user has changed the microSD card (formatted the microSD card) or not.
2023-7-16
Use props
JustusLM
lvl.3
Germany

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-16 15:24
I don't know why the manual creation of folder 999MEDIA was necessary.
Maybe they have messed with the folder structure but with my, non Mavic 3, drones the old "MEDIA" folder was perhaps numbered 100, if that contained the added DJI_0999 then DJI_0000 or perhaps DJI_0001, would be contained in a new MEDIA folder numbered 101 i.e.101MEDIA, and there was no warning about the file index being full.

When I had the file "DJI_0999" in "100MEDIA", it did create the new folder "101MEDIA" without any warning, but in that folder, it started with the 400+ number it had before.

So, in order to get it to reset, I had to fill the index completely by making it impossible to add a higher folder.
2023-7-17
Use props
JustusLM
lvl.3
Germany

Labroides Posted at 7-16 16:49
Format in the drone and the file index numbering to 001.
Format in the computer and file numbering is continuous.

Every time I mentioned formatting in the original post, I meant formatting in the drone. That didn't reset it.
2023-7-17
Use props
JustusLM
lvl.3
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-16 17:51
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. There are two naming rules of file index. Example: The file index is (001,002,003,004). For example, 003 is deleted.

(1) Reset:

How do I change between index rules?
2023-7-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JustusLM Posted at 7-17 06:54
When I had the file "DJI_0999" in "100MEDIA", it did create the new folder "101MEDIA" without any warning, but in that folder, it started with the 400+ number it had before.

So, in order to get it to reset, I had to fill the index completely by making it impossible to add a higher folder.

Hmm interesting, that's not my recollection of how it behaved with my drones ....... or maybe "drones" were "cameras". Sorry about that.
What do you think of the bulk rename idea? I use it, a lot, for 'fiddling' with the names of fight logs and it works very well for that, I have used it a few times to fiddle with image names.
2023-7-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

JustusLM Posted at 7-17 06:55
How do I change between index rules?

Thank you for your response. With the latest firmware version, the footage is incremental after formatting, and we cannot select the naming rule. (The naming rule of file index is "continuous"). Hope this helps. Thank you.
2023-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules