Any options when phantom flys away
1316 4 2014-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

Just wondering if DJI offfers any kind of discount or replacement for a phantom that flys away. Had GPS lock before taking off (9 satilites) Went up and when I was ready to come down I got lazy and decided to use the return to home "feature" instead of holding the joystick in the down position for 5 minutes. Well I lost video signal and never saw it again.
Hard to understand that a touted feature of the phantom can fail and there is no small print to let people know. Bummed about the orderal but was just wondering if it's worth my time to email support....from what I have heard it's not but I thought some people on here might have some advise. Thanks

Phantom 2 vision - all stock parts

2014-12-16
Use props
hearttwolove
New

United States

Don't spend more money. My friends drone was only about 15ft away from us when thing just took off his Failsafe RTH failed even after it was calibrated to where he took off from. He has owned 1 before this one and is a great pilot, it was his very first flight after charging the battery and extender thingy he upgraded the software on both transmitter and drone as required to be up to date. He thinks its was the soft ware he had 8 GPS locks when this happened lights were green. hope this helps
2014-12-16
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

hearttwolove@ya Posted at 2014-12-17 02:01
Don't spend more money. My friends drone was only about 15ft away from us when thing just took off h ...

Thanks or the response. I also agree that there seems to be a software glitch....which may be cause by a hardware glitch or bad sensor data. Either way I think it's an issue with the drone and not the users.....well most of them.
2014-12-16
Use props
wwwDAVEHUMPHREY
New

Canada

ya, I've been dealing with DJI for months now after the same experience than you.  They have been a nightmare to deal with.  In the end they offered 30% off for a new drone.  After spending $2700. already and experiencing a dramatic fly away I feel very cheated.  Brutal customer service & a slap in the face to finish it off.

Brutal experience with DJI all around.
2015-5-1
Use props
project41
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have beenlooking into the causes of flyaways and am looking at other causes, take DJI out of the picture and you will see that the same happens with other flight controllers typicaly the ardupilot (i had one go)
I have now been analising the 2.4g frequency band where i fly and found that where ever we go there is a lot of interference just down to the sheer number of wifi networks and other 2.4g signals we share the band with.
Ok so this shouldnt cause a fly away but will put you in a failsafe situation.
Other issues i have found is people doing compass calibrations with mobile phones in pockets, to check to do a safe compass calibration is easy, buy a simple magnetic compass and before doing a compass calibration just try doing it with a normal compass first and see if you have anything effecting the calibration, you will be surprised what you find.
Finally i now monitor the GPS satelite signals with an external gps reciever i bluetooth to a laptop, agian you will see that you do in fact get 6 satelites or more but the signal strength varies a lot. also xheck out sunsports and solar flares on the internet before you fly as this has a dramatic effect of GPS fix.

This is by no means a definitive answer to why this happens but since i have been following these proceedures and check i have had a lot more reliable flights and faith in the equipment we are using.
Excuse the poor spelling and gramar but it is really early in the morning
2015-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules