Battery Firmware Problems
2103 6 2014-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gregg.smith
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Guys

I bought my Phantom 2 Vision + in June of 2014 - and have six batteries - two bought together with the Quad, another two about a week later and a further two a couple of months after that.

I have recently updated to version 3.6 of the Assistant Software and noticed that one battery has updated from firmware 2.0.0.0 to 2.6.0.0.

All of the other batteries are showing loader 1.5.0.0 and firmware 2.0.0.0 but do not offer an update when I attach them to the computer running the Assistant software.

I have even tried clicking on the No Updates link next to the battery update to manually check for an update, but to no avail.

Is there any reason for this - am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance

Gregg Smith.

2014-12-29
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

"Officially" the upgrade added warnings, added the auto-discharge,  etc.  "Unofficially" if you used the upgrade to any third-party batteries (i.e. not-DJI) it tended to turn them into useless bricks.

I suspect either one or both of the following scenarios: a) those third-party companies raised a stink and DJI backed down and withdrew the update.  b) DJI owners raised a stink when it started bricking even DJI batteries.  Sorta like what ink jet printer companies used to do, void the warranty if you used any ink cartridge but theirs.

My advise, don't scratch something that shouldn't itch.
DJI battery 1071 upgrade.png
2014-12-29
Use props
gregg.smith
lvl.1

United Kingdom

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-30 09:49
"Officially" the upgrade added warnings, added the auto-discharge,  etc.  "Unofficially" if you used ...

Thanks for the info, Gil.

I think if DJI had 'backed down' we would have heard about it somewhere in an official announcement, so I'm not sure that's the case.

Could anybody at DJI comment ?

If they have removed the upgrade, do I now need to downgrade the one battery that has been updated ?

FYI all of my batteries were purchased from an authorised dealer and are, to the best of my knowledge, OEM DJI products.
2014-12-29
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

gregg.smith@exc Posted at 2014-12-30 09:57
Thanks for the info, Gil.

I think if DJI had 'backed down' we would have heard about it somewhere ...

They would never admit to deliberately try in an update to disable cloned batteries.  They would do as they did, say they have an error of some kind and have corrected that in a new update.
2014-12-29
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

gregg -- the tendency thus far has been the absence of any official announcement.  In recent cases of firmware updates a faulty version X is simply replaced with another version (as in Vision Assistant 3.2 to 3.4, oops 3.6) or it just disappears (battery)

gerry -- oh absolutely!  I agree DJI would never knowingly acknowledge something like that.  Notice that I prefaced my comments with unofficially and suspect.

ahem -- At this point I will self chastise my rampant rumor mongering and impose a penalty of
2014-12-29
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

China

We close the battery update now but it will be reopened again when next firmware version released.
If everything goes well, just stay with it.
2014-12-30
Use props
gregg.smith
lvl.1

United Kingdom

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-30 10:28
gregg -- the tendency thus far has been the absence of any official announcement.  In recent cases o ...

Thanks for the info, guys. I hear what you're saying (reading between the lines).

And thanks, Autumn, for the official answer - so it appears the 2.6.0.0 battery firmware has been removed by DJI.
I look forward to the next battery firmware update.

That said, I'm not so sure I want my batteries discharging by themselves (but to be honest, if I haven't used the Phantom for more than 10 days then something is obviously wrong).
In the meantime is there a way to downgrade the one 2.6.0.0 battery I have back to 2.0.0.0 ?

Cheers

Gregg.

2014-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules