CAUTION! - Some new Phantoms have the wrong ESCs. Can cause crashes and fire!
123Next >
11641 102 2015-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lpabmendez
lvl.1

United States

The New Version Phantom 2 come with new, more powerful motors. The model 2312 motors are only compatible with the ESC V2.0.

If your new Phantom has the older ESCs, they seem to overload under certain situations that may cause "instability in the air and crash." Some have reported incompatible ESCs that catch on fire.

Use the ESC compatibilty chart attached to see if your ESC and Motors are compatible. Stay safe.
2312-ESC DJI compatibility chart.jpg
2015-1-8
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

Where have you seen one with the wrong esc installed from the factory?
2015-1-8
Use props
lpabmendez
lvl.1

United States

I opened mine up to check and it has the incorrect ESC.

Link with my pictures of my ESCs  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eos4v ... Dolm-uVMyD0eRa?dl=0

Forum links:
http://www.phantompilots.com/vie ... p;start=130#p297199

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32820

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32600

2015-1-8
Use props
lpabmendez
lvl.1

United States

"That's the package insert that comes with the original 2312 "upgrade" kit from DJI. I am inclined to conclude that it does indeed imply that they started out with the initial 2312 upgrade kits by using the old ESCs that they used for the 2212 motors and found that they weren't compatible with the 2312 motors. So, with the SUBSEQUENT upgrade kits they upgraded the ESC to v2.0 and firmware version (on the ESC) 4.02 and printed up that instruction card shown above. When they found out that that STILL wasn't good enough, and an inordinate number of Phantoms were dropping from the sky or their testing demonstrated failure-pron ESCs, they then came out with the v2.1 ESC with the 4.06 firmware.

I think that it's clear that if you have 2312 motors and a "no version" ESC, you're hosed. If you have a v2.0 ESC, you're on thin ice. If you have a "v2.1" ESC....jelly beans! It would be logical to conclude that they just upgraded ESCs on the fly using what they had in inventory without regard to whether or not they would actually work."
2015-1-8
Use props
louvros
New

United States

I think that it's clear that if you have 2312 motors and a "no version" ESC, you're hosed. If you have a v2.0 ESC, you're on thin ice. If you have a "v2.1" ESC....jelly beans! It would be logical to conclude that they just upgraded ESCs on the fly using what they had in inventory without regard to whether or not they would actually work."

So, in that aspect, since this seems to (finally) be the cut and dry, all info digested summary, what would be the course of action for users with the "no version" and v2.0 ESC? I highly highly doubt that DJI will do a recall, and those that will open their bird will forfeit warranty.

In my case, since I purchased from DJI directly I will not be returning it to them, and am willing to have the work sent in. I will be opening  her up in the next few days to check my ESC version. If I am in the high risk category I will be sending it in for upgrade. So far about 10 flights with no issues and even a tip over, also this is Western NY and she's been airborn in 20-40 degree (f) temps only, not that it would really matter in this case with an overheating ESC.

If someone has the information and this thread does not have pages and pages of replies, I think it would be highly helpful if someone has the information for high quality repair centers for each region that are aware of this situation on one of the first posts.

Thanks guys!
2015-1-8
Use props
tariq72
lvl.2

Singapore

my V3 phantom which i bought almost a month ago has the v2.1 ESCs. I have had around 12 flights with it so far with no issues.
2015-1-8
Use props
lpabmendez
lvl.1

United States

It seems to be an issue for the early production batch of the new Phantoms from November and December.

Here is another forum link with pictures of burn ESCs.   http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2908

I have emailed DJI. I want these ESCs replaced with the newest ones with the correct software.

Not sure if I will fly it easy for now or not fly it at all until there are more answers.
2015-1-8
Use props
lpabmendez
lvl.1

United States

Here is a great explanation of what is going on.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-1-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

So far I've heard about 5 different theories presented as factual. It's amazing how each takes on a life of it's own and causes some people to cancel orders, return units, modify units, etc.....and then, reports come in that this (or that)  isn't the problem!

Not to say that there is no problem. But for the problem to change every couple days...and then to be presented as "fact" is somewhat troubling.

If we all would have believed the first reports, we would have spent $200 each plus freight both way to have the experts fix our motor wires.....

There are lots of things - or nothing - which may be wrong! That is, there may be 10 or 100 or 20 units which were assembled incorrectly or it may be a deeper problem. The only one in a position to know is DJI since they know the numbers (of failure) and whether that differs from the expected failure rate. They gain absolutely nothing by trying to hide it since they looking to be the long term leader in the market.

Again, I'm not disputing whether one person or 100 people may have a problem...but some may be different problems, some may be other problems and some may be no problem.

2015-1-9
Use props
mech
lvl.2

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-9 22:36
So far I've heard about 5 different theories presented as factual. It's amazing how each takes on a  ...

I like what you are saying.

Mine was bought in November, says V2 on the ESCs and I have not had any problems. Going to fly again today. Not saying there isn't a problem, but my dealer doesn't think there is and I have not had one. If you fly RC's and put planes, copters, Quads in the air they will eventually come down when you don't want them to. Usually it is your fault, sometime something fails and maybe it is a manufactoring or design problem.
2015-1-9
Use props
lpabmendez
lvl.1

United States

The problem is with ESCs that do not say V2 on them
2015-1-9
Use props
jamie
New
United States

Hi all,
In mid-December I bought a PV2+ V3.0 and have only had a chance to fly it once (no problems).  In reading this thread, I checked my ESCs - there is no version # printed on the white label, but V2 is printed in white on the ESC itself (at the other end from the label).  I called 'support' and was told that, of course, the newest versions are sent with the newest (and compatible) ESCs.  Should I press the issue with DJI, or keep flying - wait and watch?  If I crash cause an ESC blows, and the integrated camera is wrecked, will the 1 year warranty on the ESC cover the camera repair?  Appreciate your insight - this is new for me.
Thanks,
Jamie
2015-1-9
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-9 22:36
So far I've heard about 5 different theories presented as factual. It's amazing how each takes on a  ...

This "theory" is the one that comes directly from DJI. THEY are the ones that label the "no version number" ESCs as INCOMPATIBLE with the 2312 motors that they installed in my Phantom before they shipped it off to be sold. I can't imagine how this could be more clear-cut.

2015-1-9
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Whew, I'm good!  Just checked mine out of an abundance of caution.  I ordered my P2V+ v3 directly from DJI the first day they showed up on their website (28oct2014) and all the ESC's are good (v2 on both the circuit board and label).  As long as I was in there rummaging around I also adjusted the wires so they were not touching each other or the MOSFET's.
2015-1-9
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

gil Posted at 2015-1-10 07:09
Whew, I'm good!  Just checked mine out of an abundance of caution.  I ordered my P2V+ v3 directly fr ...

Note that the current version of the ESC is version 2.1. It uses ESC firware version 4.06, the most current version of the IC driver firmware. The previous version, version 4.02, was found in the v 2.0 ESCs like yours. It was upgraded after the above flyer came out because there were still MOSFET failures from overheating with the 2.0/4.02 ESCs.
2015-1-9
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

I believe that the ral situation may not really matter think of this-you buy three units all three have the three different esc's they all fly fine until you land hard and each one falls on its side the blades are on and hit the ground on all three will they all blow the esc saying that the ground held the blades from spinning correctly on all three my guess you would need esc for all. What I am getting at is all of them will fail in some situations but flown without ever hitting anything they all will do fine or there would be a whole lot more people with wrecked units. This is my guess so dont get mad just a thought.
2015-1-9
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

So what are those who have a P2V+  V3.0 with 2312 motors but non V2.0 or V2.1 ESC's to do?  Contact their seller or DJI?  Mine is from B&H ordered 11/30/2014 as a "Late 2014" V3.0, and says so on the box and the serial number labels.
I've got around 50 or 60 flights on it, but if this is a "recall'...
WP_20150109_14_06_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20150109_14_08_24_Pro.jpg
2015-1-9
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

Jamie Hellmich Posted at 2015-1-10 08:35
So what are those who have a P2V+  V3.0 with 2312 motors but non V2.0 or V2.1 ESC's to do?  Contact  ...

If I was in your situation and until I remove the cover who knows I may be in your situation anyway I would get a hold of them and ask how long it will take them to send you the new correct esc and ask them to ship them fast with a tracking number on their wallet.
2015-1-9
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

jeepinocala Posted at 2015-1-9 08:02
Where have you seen one with the wrong esc installed from the factory?

Mine, according to DJI's chart.
2015-1-9
Use props
johnjohndufour
lvl.1

United States

What needs to happen is DJI needs to respond to these threads and set the record straight. Until then everyone is purely speculating. It's costing DJI sales as mentioned earlier some are returning their units and some aren't buying til they see all this cleared up. Everyday DJI waits the more the rumor mill runs and it's at DJI's expense.
2015-1-10
Use props
johnjohndufour
lvl.1

United States

Just saw this:

http://youtu.be/ezNo3Tt7ur8
2015-1-10
Use props
ZippyZapp
lvl.2
United States

Is there anyway to tell without opening the phantom? I bought a v3.0 at end of Dec. direct from DJI. have flown it about 20 times.
2015-1-10
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

johnjohndufour@ Posted at 2015-1-11 00:06
Just saw this:

Thats not good but didnt the instructions say not to fly it at full speed? Maybe that overheated the ecs? Time for dji to get this straight that video was pure failure I have to wonder which esc was in that unit?
2015-1-10
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

johnjohndufour@ Posted at 2015-1-11 00:06
Just saw this:

Thats not good but didnt the instructions say not to fly it at full speed? Maybe that overheated the ecs? Time for dji to get this straight that video was pure failure I have to wonder which esc was in that unit?
2015-1-10
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Honestly guys, this thread is so full of BS that I really don't know where to start.
The opening post headlines incorrect ESC's fitted to new Phantoms that cause them to fail or burst into flames for no reason.
Really ? Well in that case why is this not headline news all over the world, flaming Phantoms falling from the sky would make a great story...
The only way you can burn out or damage a ESC is if you stop the motor while its at full throttle, buy crashing into something or tipping over under full power, the few seconds it takes the ESC to go into shut down mode will be enough to overheat the unit.
Under normal conditions there is no issue or problem.

2015-1-10
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-1-11 01:52
Honestly guys, this thread is so full of BS that I really don't know where to start.
The opening pos ...

Convince us that your credentials equal or exceed those of the two or three electrical engineers that have posted here and elsewhere all identifying and clarifying the same problem?

Then supply facts (not just your opinion) that refute DJI's published statement that an ESC with no version number is incompatible with the 2312 motors that they installed?
2015-1-10
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-1-11 01:52
The opening pos ...

I opposed your opinion cause I believe the news does not care first off second I never herd of any fires and third I used to have a simular opinion until I saw actual proof of a unit new v3.0 with the wrong esc installed from the factory. The wrong esc can burn up in the air from overheating.
2015-1-10
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

The facts are that the V2 ESC's have been out for ages, my V+ bought in July has them and the latest firmware.
You can tell by turning the Phantom on and if the front RED LED's don't light up until you start the motors, you have the "new" ESC's
If they light up when powered on but motors not running, then they are the "old" ESC's
2015-1-10
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-1-11 04:25
The facts are that the V2 ESC's have been out for ages, my V+ bought in July has them and the latest ...

The v3.0 has different more powerful motors needing better esc.
2015-1-10
Use props
culnara69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 96014 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

keeping an eye on this, I scanned in the top pic from the replacement DJI ESC boxes, the two Rear Speed controllers I replaced myself and are now V2.1's and two front ones are the original unmarked ESC's, the front led's don't light up till the motor's start, thank grud it's shite weather, then again, I am too frightened to take her up again anyway
BTW I get my replacement ESC's ( V2.1's) from Buzzflyer website (UK) very quick delivery
2015-1-10
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

culnara69 Posted at 2015-1-11 05:04
keeping an eye on this, I scanned in the top pic from the replacement DJI ESC boxes, the two Rear Sp ...

Smart move.
2015-1-10
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

johnwarr
The facts are that the V2 ESC's have been out for ages, my V+ bought in July has them and the latest firmware.
You can tell by turning the Phantom on and if the front RED LED's don't light up until you start the motors, you have the "new" ESC's
If they light up when powered on but motors not running, then they are the "old" ESC's

I did not know this so I fired up my V2 Phantom Vision (the one with the updated wire and compass) and sure enough the front red lights only light up when you start the motors.  Now as far as I know my Phantom does not have the upgraded motors, so if I do have the more powerful esc's then a motor upgrade is all that's needed ?
2015-1-10
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

The facts are that the V2 ESC's have been out for ages, my V+ bought in July has them and the latest ...

Not according to DJI
2015-1-10
Use props
david
lvl.1

New Zealand

I brought V3 at the end of December. I have flown it for about 3hours all up without any issues so far. I am not a techno person and not keen to start opening it up but I just checked and the red LEDs don't come on when first turned on so I hope you're right John.
2015-1-10
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Flight distance : 138458 ft
Canada

Well cracked open my P2V+V3. Purchased in Dec 2014 direct from DJI...  NEW  motors seemingly old no version ESC.    DJI some input here ????   I'm wanting my ESC's replaced unless DJI can explain otherwise.
2015-1-10
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Canada

Ok slightly confused (my usual state)...  As per above have what appear to be  no version ESC with new motor... But just checked and my front LEDs does NOT come on until props are spinning....  So is it possible DJI is not labelling ESC consistently??  Do I have new or old ESC 'S ?????
2015-1-10
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

applekiller Posted at 2015-1-11 13:39
Ok slightly confused (my usual state)...  As per above have what appear to be  no version ESC with n ...

I have seen other companies have inconsistent labels so you would have to find a part that is different from the old ones and compare. I do believe that it needs to say v2 on it that would be more of version info than labeling.
2015-1-11
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Canada

Ok,   so from what I'm reading on this other forum...  the esc's may or may not have the v2 label....   as well as most of the esc hardware is the same  v2 ...  only difference is what firmware is loaded.   The front LED seems to be the best indicator.  See this post  from Nimbus
ESC info
2015-1-11
Use props
jamie
New
United States

Jamie Hellmich Posted at 2015-1-10 08:35
So what are those who have a P2V+  V3.0 with 2312 motors but non V2.0 or V2.1 ESC's to do?  Contact  ...

Jamie,

In addition to having the same first name as you, I too bought my P2V+ V3.0 from B&H - mine mid-December (labeled Late 2014).  My ESC sticker looks identical to yours (no V2.0 or V2.1).  I'm curious to know what you've decided to do - ride it out with hopes that the ESC sticker labeling is simply inconsistent, return to B&H, etc.?  Any feedback from DJI?
Thanks for your help,
Jamie
2015-1-12
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

jamie@wildfishc Posted at 2015-1-13 15:01
Jamie,

In addition to having the same first name as you, I too bought my P2V+ V3.0 from B&H - min ...

I had a crash on my Phantom 2 V3 that looked identical (on my Black Pearl FPV screen)  except mine was up about 100 meters and I was over marshland and heavy trees so I couldn't recover it.  Total loss with a GoPro Hero 4 and FPV kit.  I never thought to check the ESC version.  I ordered mine from DJI directly in October and had flown about 20 flights without any problems.  I've owned three other V2 Phantoms without any problems.  I'm suspicious that this is what happened to my phantom as well but I'll never know...
2015-1-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules