New to drones, where do I find training vids
2275 13 2016-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Hey, bought my first drone ever. A phantom 4. After a pretty epic fail of a first flight, where can I find vids on how to effectively control it? Crashed it pretty hard first time. Did a landing but it didnt wanna go down... Crazy.
2016-3-15
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Well,
You could start here..and maybe should have started here...
http://forum.dji.com/thread-45307-1-1.html and here...
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 81&page=1#pid251592
As the P4 was just released, no videos per se but it is a P3 with "D" cups...
Hang on and enjoy the ride...
Hope you get it sorted....
2016-3-15
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

I had NO idea how much air this thing disperses! Tossing papers around and pillows etc and I was afraid to just like grab it. I guess I had it on a GPS sorta mode and wouldn't land when I wanted it to, so it  just kind hovered and crashed pretty hard into my table... How durable are these things. I figured out how to get it off of the GPS mode into the P mode which I was able to control indoors. Is it not supposed to fly indoors haha? I just wanted to get the hang of it as it was already dark by the time I got it going.
2016-3-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-16 14:24
I had NO idea how much air this thing disperses! Tossing papers around and pillows etc and I was afr ...

Don't try learning to fly inside.
Go out and find a nice big open area well away from trees and buildings and learn to fly there.
But you have a lot of reading to do before you do.
The P4 might be ready to fly out of the box but you aren't.
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-16 11:24
I had NO idea how much air this thing disperses! Tossing papers around and pillows etc and I was afr ...

This isn't a $50 toy, it's an expensive piece of sensitive electronics. You should never fly in your house unless you are an 100% experienced pilot with the aircraft you are flying.
In the house it may not even get GPS lock, and if you are going to fly indoors you should do it in ATTI mode.
2016-3-15
Use props
ardian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 455197 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get a feel of flying if you haven't,try to buy a $50 toy and learn to fly first,then do your research get comfortable with inverted pitch & yaw (flying the uav towards you)after a couple weeks your ready to move up to p4, at least thats what i was taught...
2016-3-15
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

ardian Posted at 2016-3-16 12:23
Get a feel of flying if you haven't,try to buy a $50 toy and learn to fly first,then do your researc ...

haha, the story gets worse.... i charged up my phantom for another round of flying. went to a parking lot.. flew for about 20 minutes and literally, in my last minute of flying, i do a little banking turn in s mode, and clip a tree just barely and it crashes down to the pavement, battery ejects, props break, plastic is scratched and one of my shell arms is dented... it seems to still be flyable and the camera wasn't damaged at all.... so basically just the shell damage. am i screwed? i was being very cautious during the flying, but maybe got a little cocky during the last minute..
2016-3-15
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

oops. feel awful
2016-3-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-16 18:14
haha, the story gets worse.... i charged up my phantom for another round of flying. went to a park ...

"i was being very cautious during the flying"
If you had trees within 50 metres of where you were flying, you were taking an unnecessary risk and asking for trouble.
Flying close to trees and buildings is the number 1 killer of Phantoms, particularly for new flyers and you need to have a very real fear of flying close to obstacles.
Read or re-read my post above for my thoughts on where you should try flying.

The biggest problem with the Phantom is that it is so easy to fly, new flyers can become too confident too early.
It takes 5 minutes to learn to fly a Phantom but there are 100 things that can go wrong and it takes a lot of flying to learn how to make sure they don't happen to you.
2016-3-15
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-16 15:40
"i was being very cautious during the flying"
If you had trees within 50 metres of where you were f ...

yup, i definitely started feeling pretty confident, too quickly... what can i do in terms of fixing it? do parts even exist?
2016-3-15
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

What I've learned is BE CAREFUL Of YOUTUBE because there are a lot of people serving up bad info with nobody to check them.

This dude has 30,000 followers but has a real nice looking page and he sounds confident but I swear he just makes stuff up. I couldn't believe some of the stuff he was saying and 30,000 subscribers!

Anyway, it's not like there is a ton of good info here but at least it's being monitored by a few people that know what they are talking about.

You have to be careful here too though. I'll use PhantomPilots as an example.  I heard people arguing with me about stuff I AM 100% sure they are wrong about but they will argue tooth and nail and I finally figured out its because they heard it from YouTube.

The best example I can give is if someone tells you something that is right but gives you a long explanation that is so wrong.

Example: 1+1 = 2.  yes that is correct but if XXXX Tech's Time says 1+1=2 because Neil Armstrong was the first person on the moon, did you really learn?  I say not really.
2016-3-16
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

Also, GO SPEND $50 on a su,a X5SC and learn how to fly that first.  Every person should be required to.

You won't lose even that if you crash it and you won't hurt anyone and you'll learn how to fly the Phantom with it and when you get to the Phantom it will seem like the easiest thing to do in the world by comparison.

Buy this and fly it for a couple weeks!

http://www.amazon.com/Explorers- ... ;keywords=syma+x5sc

I'm a videographer so I need my drones but I have no less fun flying that thing above than I do anything else.  The P4 is super fun but I enjoy the Syma more than my S1000.  That's just a tool I need.
2016-3-16
Use props
seanpburke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 246214 ft
Ireland

I'm taking my P4 out for it first flight today - This is my 3rd drone (first DJi) but I'll be spending my first few hours practising the basics over and over in a big open space till I'm 100% comfortable with progressing.

Looking forward to practising and getting better, I love all the auto features but I'll be getting comfortable with the manual controls first.

s.
2016-3-16
Use props
FailureEngineer
lvl.1

United States

After reading this thread and another posted by the OP, I am almost convinced he's trolling. I mean, he admits he crashes his P4 on day one in his house. He admits he crashes 1 to 2 more times the next day in the other thread, can't provide DJI with the data logs, and wants DJI to replace his bird?
2016-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules