Phantom 3 standard- signal lost - short range 5.8ghz signal
12Next >
18377 76 2016-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jgrega1
lvl.1

Slovenia

I already tried to get help in another thread 'Phantom 3 Series firmware update', with no luck (no wonder, with so many users complaints recently!)
So here is my issue in a stand alone Thread:
My problem is very short range of my RC controls (5ghz) and losing signal, while video transsmission (2.4ghz) works fine.

I'm fliying in CE mode and the very max range i got is 125m (before and after the update), i'm flying out in the open (I have tried many diferent locations out in the fields), with no/minimal interference, fliying at 50m altitude (not directly above me), antenass pointed corectly. My wifi strength meter is showing most bars at all times, I have never lost the video signal. I'm losing 5.8ghz controlls signal, even while indoors. Strenght meter for RC signal usualy drops before the bird reaches 100m distance, and the aircraft goes to RTH.

Firmware: Aircraft (P3 Standard)- Version 1.4.60+
App version- 2.7.1 for ios,
My log file after the last firmware update shows: device not detected on modules 7, 11 and 12 (i'm not sure if tha's normal). The firmware update was sucesfull.

I have relinked the aircraft and the RC and tested it in an location uphills away from any interference. Max range I got yesterday was 125m, at 70 m altitude, then the signal was lost (repeated many times) and the aircraft goes to RTH. I noticed that the signal was lost quicker when I turned the drone (yawing).

Today I've done RC controls calibration- not tested yet, should i do another cold imu calibration (it was done just before the recent update)? I can post the entire log file if it's any help. Is there someting I can try on my own before I send it in for repair? I'm a bit sceptical, as I read many users complain about the DJI suport.

Appreciate any help!

2016-3-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I can't say what those modules, 7, 11 and 12 are, but hopefully a DJI person will come on here and tell you what those modules are. I suspect they are important, and if those messages are in the file, it tends to suggest the update was not complete.
2016-3-18
Use props
jgrega1
lvl.1

Slovenia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-18 10:11
I can't say what those modules, 7, 11 and 12 are, but hopefully a DJI person will come on here and t ...

Thanks Geebax! Hopefully the will. Here is the link to my hidden log file left on SD card after firmware update: Log file
Was my update complete (successful)?
2016-3-18
Use props
jgrega1
lvl.1

Slovenia

jgrega1 Posted at 2016-3-18 12:50
Thanks Geebax! Hopefully the will. Here is the link to my hidden log file left on SD card after fi ...

I just tested the range again after calibrating the contolls and imu. Max range I got today was 120m.

I noticed two things:
1.  that even in very close range (less than 10 meters away from me, altitude was no more than 2m) the signal got weaker/lost while in a yaw.
2. While flying straith forward the aircraft starts to jerk just before losing connection.
Is this normal in CE mode?
2016-3-18
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

jgrega1 Posted at 2016-3-18 07:00
I just tested the range again after calibrating the contolls and imu. Max range I got today was 12 ...

It sounds like you might have a broken antenna.

I've read several threads on here that described a new P3S owner having range issues traced back to a broken antenna in the RC unit.

Sid
2016-3-18
Use props
jgrega1
lvl.1

Slovenia

sidtx Posted at 2016-3-18 14:15
It sounds like you might have a broken antenna.

I've read several threads on here that described  ...

Thanks Sid, Is there anything I can do to check or repair?
2016-3-18
Use props
P3A_Pilot
lvl.2

Netherlands

I also had poor range with the Standard but the other way around, lost video after sometimes only 10m. RC control was better but flying without video is useless.
My solution was to get a P3 Advanced instead, Lightbridge is soooo much better than WIFI video :-D
2016-3-18
Use props
jgrega1
lvl.1

Slovenia

P3A_Pilot Posted at 2016-3-18 15:18
I also had poor range with the Standard but the other way around, lost video after sometimes only 10 ...

Hi P3A_Pilot, what did you do with your faulty P3S? Have you had any experience with DJI support? How would you evaluate them.

I don't need advanced model, I need my P3 Standard to perform as stated in the specifications (Range in CE mode should be 500m, and that's all I'm aiming for).
2016-3-18
Use props
jgrega1
lvl.1

Slovenia

jgrega1 Posted at 2016-3-18 17:34
Hi P3A_Pilot, what did you do with your faulty P3S? Have you had any experience with DJI support?  ...

My experience with DJI support so far:

I wrote to the EU support 8 days ago (march 10th), since then I recieved 2 answers from them:
1. They asked me to relink the RC.
2. They asked me for my info to arrange RMA.
Havent heard from them since. Not really fast huh?

In the meantime I upgraded the app and the firmware. Relinked RC, recalibrated RC, recalibrated IMU. No improvement.

From what I read in this forum, some users send the drone back for repair, wait for a few weeks and then recieve an 'repaired' P3S with identical issues and no explanation what was done to repair the drone.

Forum moderators weren't much help either. I recieved 1 reply (from DJI-Ken in another Thread) asking me 2 questions, after answering them, there was no reply from him (them).

I don't envy them. So many user complaints to handle these days, but still... DJI should greatly improve users experience by speeding up the conversations related to service and support.

So here is my dilema:
- should I just except that the P3S doesn't have the range stated in specs and sell it or
- insist to get some answers and service?

2016-3-18
Use props
lvl.1

United States

I have exactly same problem, i hope someone from DJI can provide some advice.
2016-3-18
Use props
jgrega1
lvl.1

Slovenia

2208340519 Posted at 2016-3-18 17:42
I have exactly same problem, i hope someone from DJI can provide some advice.

Do you have the log file from the update to compare it with mine? log file

Can you search in the text for 'device not detected' and investigate if it shows in the same positions. My log shows it next to: [07 00], [11 00] and [12 00].
I'm trying to found out if that is causing the problem.
2016-3-18
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.2

United States

I don't have a P3S, but I read somewhere here that a P3S owner with similar issue resolved it by switching phone/tablet first to airplane mode, power on RC and aircraft, and then turn on wifi to connect.
Don't understand the logic in this, but this method solved the short range issue for him.
2016-3-18
Use props
jgrega1
lvl.1

Slovenia

ArcticM39 Posted at 2016-3-18 19:58
I don't have a P3S, but I read somewhere here that a P3S owner with similar issue resolved it by swi ...

Thanks for trying to help, but I always fly in airplane mode (with only wifi connected to rc). Usually I kill all the apps before takeoff and turn off the background sync in settings. I use iphone 6.
2016-3-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jgrega1 Posted at 2016-3-19 07:25
Thanks for trying to help, but I always fly in airplane mode (with only wifi connected to rc). Usu ...

That sounds odd. Usually, switching on airplane mode shuts down all functions that transmit, such as cellular, WIFi and Bluetooth. As cellular may be useful if you want to gets maps on your screen, you can leave it on, WiFi is necessary to connect to the RC unit, and Bluetooth really does not matter.
2016-3-18
Use props
P3A_Pilot
lvl.2

Netherlands

jgrega1 Posted at 2016-3-18 17:34
Hi P3A_Pilot, what did you do with your faulty P3S? Have you had any experience with DJI support?  ...

I returned it to the store as they have very generous return policy and they exchanged it for the P3 Advanced no questions asked.
Knowing quite a bit about WIFI I think the only way to increase the range is by upgrading the antennas with something like the Itelite DBS (That's what I would have bought if they hadn't returned it).
In general I think WIFI sucks as a connection option since it very much depends on the device that you use it with, even though I tried it with different devices most of which are brand new.
2016-3-19
Use props
vinojaya6
lvl.2

Indonesia

Just get dbs antena mod itelite, the problem solved.
2016-3-19
Use props
vinojaya6
lvl.2

Indonesia

Using itelite dbs mod, i trust better range.
2016-3-19
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

Welcome to the club , jeje mm thats normal in the phantom 3 standard , it have really bad range !   i already try everything with the stock controller and quad and nothing works

i was getting 100 to 300 meters of range  , then i upgrade to the dbs and now everything is ok now i get up to 2 km of range ,  here my post about it
http://forum.dji.com/thread-41425-1-1.html
2016-3-19
Use props
jgrega1
lvl.1

Slovenia

GTDrone Posted at 2016-3-19 23:46
Welcome to the club , jeje mm thats normal in the phantom 3 standard , it have really bad range !    ...

Interesting to see, that some of the forum moderators approve your mod and what you've done to the controller. Is your Warranty void?  Are you in FCC or CE mode? Where did you buy this mod how much did ya pay 4 it?
2016-3-20
Use props
lvl.1

Indonesia

Still waiting for a good reply....
2016-3-23
Use props
ceyhunkardas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9154 ft
Turkey

I am facing the same problem after software update. I was happy with p3s and was getting over 1000 meters in open area. but after firmware update now the signal is lost after 150 meters in the same area. waiting for a good answer.  also is it possible to downgrade the firmware
2016-5-8
Use props
Barni
lvl.1
Flight distance : 253077 ft

I bought a used P3S and updated before my first flight. So i can not say if there is an issue with a maybe broken connector in the RC.
But flying in beginner mode suddenly i got WEAK SIGNAL and RTH starts. Seconds later i got full signal?
2016-5-8
Use props
cekabu
lvl.2
Turkey

Does anybody find any solutions? Still having the same problem.
2016-5-10
Use props
dustinjohn2
lvl.2

i just glanced this.. 5Ghz is generally not as stable like 2.4Ghz.
2016-5-10
Use props
futurapatos
New

Brazil

dustinjohn2 Posted at 2016-5-11 09:07
i just glanced this.. 5Ghz is generally not as stable like 2.4Ghz.

I bought my P3S is six days ago and the radio range is short, maximum 100 meters without obstacles or interference , with pointed the right way antenna.

We are waiting for the Technical DJI make a new firmware FOR P3S the Faster What can because it has hundreds of dissatisfied buyers to the range of the radio signal.

Let us join all customers DJI and ask them to do a new firmware for the P3S . This will be the only way they make fast.
2016-5-11
Use props
dants999
lvl.1

futurapatos@hot Posted at 2016-5-11 19:14
I bought my P3S is six days ago and the radio range is short, maximum 100 meters without obstacle ...

You may want to... check out your DJI APP Who want's to be the first?
2016-5-11
Use props
cekabu
lvl.2
Turkey

dants999 Posted at 2016-5-11 21:52
You may want to... check out your DJI APP  Who want's to be the first?

I downloaded the new software but did not try yet. Hope tomorrow i will have time to test it and hoping it will be the solution.
2016-5-11
Use props
antoinecret
New

France

Hi !
As everybody here, i have the same issue... My RC signal was very weak before updates.  I have done the update this afternoon and nothing better, max range is above 50 meters, the maximal distance is aproximatly 250 meters, and i often lost signal betwen this 250 meters  ... I hope DJI will solve this issue fastly !
2016-5-13
Use props
cekabu
lvl.2
Turkey

Also no improvements here still the same. That's bullshit. No solutions upto now. Money is gone for nothing. It is wiser to buy a toy quad like syma which will cost only 100 bucks.
2016-5-16
Use props
zphantom3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 164196 ft

Hi, everyone.
I have a new phantom 3 standrad EU 1 month, no firmware update after unboxing.
Αfter 2 successful flights about 26 minutes both , suddenly,  i got WEAK SIGNAL οr LOST SIGNAL and RTH starts, only 10m from trasmitter.
Seconds later i got full signal again . Some times drone goes like crazy.
My seller saying that Ι must send it to DJI (guarantee). About 2-3 months for repair.
I really do not know what to do.
Thanks
2016-5-27
Use props
telas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 583140 ft
Greece

I got the same short range / weak signal problem.

Hell mine sometimes looses signal literally sitting on my desk next to the controller!

2016-5-27
Use props
jacopo.marcoval
Second Officer
Flight distance : 244856 ft
Italy

Hi, i got the same issue: i try to downgrade to 1.5.07 but nothing happen...range problem still remain.
I try to pair again rc and drone but nothing happen...range problem still remain.
Last weekend i flew up to 187 meters with full rc signal in the same location....how is possibile?
My drone and my rc are never fallen o crashed...i buy my p3s 3 weeks ago....
I am very disappointed...
I will try last time and if it doesn't work i will send it back to dji.

Update: http://healthydrones.com/main?share=eGguMV here you can find all flight data
2016-5-28
Use props
balciatilla
lvl.2
Flight distance : 282080 ft
Turkey

jacopo.marcoval Posted at 2016-5-28 11:17
Hi, i got the same issue: i try to downgrade to 1.5.07 but nothing happen...range problem still rema ...

range is a radio controller issue. the controller specify the output power for your location when you connect your phone to the controller. and imo it is not in use option at last 1.4.0060 firmware. also compatible app v2.7.0. can you explain how did you downgrade the bird?
2016-5-28
Use props
jacopo.marcoval
Second Officer
Italy

balciatilla Posted at 2016-5-28 11:04
range is a radio controller issue. the controller specify the output power for your location when  ...

i follow this post: http://forum.dji.com/thread-52777-1-1.html
I know that is an rc issue but i try everthing to reach a decent distance
600€ drone can't reach the distance of my 60€ old 262 wltoys ? it's unbelievable
2016-5-28
Use props
balciatilla
lvl.2
Turkey

jacopo.marcoval Posted at 2016-5-28 14:42
i follow this post: http://forum.dji.com/thread-52777-1-1.html
I know that is an rc issue but i tr ...

it seems doesn't support downgrade to 1.4.6
2016-5-28
Use props
jacopo.marcoval
Second Officer
Italy

yes you are rigth... I wrote an email to dji...if they don't fix this problem soon, i will send phantom 3 back.
2016-5-29
Use props
balciatilla
lvl.2
Turkey

jacopo.marcoval Posted at 2016-5-30 09:12
yes you are rigth... I wrote an email to dji...if they don't fix this problem soon, i will send phan ...

I wonder what will they say. If doesn't fix, i will send back too.
2016-5-29
Use props
jacopo.marcoval
Second Officer
Italy

They just answer me.
I have to fill a doc file and send it back to them.
Then they will send me rma information.
I'll keep you informed
2016-5-29
Use props
jacopo.marcoval
Second Officer
Italy

I update Android app and i tre again in the same place. 49 meters rc signal full, 51 meters signal lost... I'll wait a new firmware update in 3 or 4 weeks the i will send back my p3s. Why the don't plan a mass dowgrade?
2016-5-30
Use props
baerboy22
lvl.1

Canada

P3S owner with problem as the person that started this thread. RC signal drops completley when only 100m out, video signal remains good up to 500m out.
2016-5-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules