Any UK commercial drone pilots out there? Advice needed!
866 10 2016-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MistaGuitarista
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi everyone - still a 'newbie' - bought my first ever drone [P3S] in February and enjoying it very much, and like all 'newbies' [I'd guess] I'm starting to think of Aerial photography as a way of making some money. I was wondering if there are any commercial pilots out there [UK] who would offer some advice to someone thinking of getting their RPC etc? The type of things I'm wondering about:

Expense - I know the RPC course tends to go for about £1000 or so, and I'd obviously need to invest in a higher level drone, but are there other 'start up expenses'?
Freelance work - are there companies out there who you can register with for some 'freelance' work rather than start your own business [is that even a good idea]?
Computer cost - do you need to invest in a high end PC for video editingDVD production? I have Filmora right now running on a pretty basic [but decent] Windows 10 PC with a huge touch screen.
After obtaining the RPC, are there other expenses? Such as - do the CAA charge for a RFAW?
How long do the RFAWs take to get processed by the CAA?
Does an RFAW allow you to film 'within 150 feet of a building not owned by you' etc
Do you really need an RFAW for every job?!

...and finally the big question - is it worth it financially?! I know this is a difficult one to answer, because it will depend on so many things. But generally how long would it take to re-coup the initial financial outlay? Is there a very high 'drop out' rate for commercial drone pilots?! Don't really think anyone will have a hard and fast answer for that one, but any opinions/feelings welcome.
Lots of questions, I know, but since February have realised that this Forum is actually extremely helpful - hoping I can get some good info/advice from you!
2016-4-18
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 9082933 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting questions; I hope others can help with the flight questions.  
Re the PC, you can answer that yourself by shooting in 2.7K and seeing if you can play it back smoothly and edit it on your PC.
It's the graphic cards that tend to be the single most important thing.  If you can upgrade that and you have a decent processor, you should be fine.  RAM can easily be upgraded but conversely you tend not to need any more than 8Gb of RAM for video editing. It's processor and graphics card that counts....

Ian
2016-4-18
Use props
MistaGuitarista
lvl.1

United Kingdom

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-18 19:55
Interesting questions; I hope others can help with the flight questions.  
Re the PC, you can answer ...

Thanks Wellsi - I did think a PC upgrade would be required - will take your advice and try editing some 2.7K on my existing PC first. I'm maybe due for a PC upgrade soon anyway!
2016-4-18
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 9082933 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had a decent laptop only 6 months old with a built in graphics card that couldn't handle full HD.  Had to get a gaming laptop. Plays and edits 2.7k and 4k fine now.....

Ian
2016-4-18
Use props
MistaGuitarista
lvl.1

United Kingdom

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-18 20:16
I had a decent laptop only 6 months old with a built in graphics card that couldn't handle full HD.  ...

Cheers Ian - yup, looks like I'd have to add a new gaming PC or similar to the start up costs too!
2016-4-18
Use props
Alan Guan
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-18
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

Alan Guan Posted at 2016-4-18 22:13
The PC doesnt have to be that good, imovie would do for your situation.

iMovie is a Mac application
2016-4-18
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

What you need is a Permission For Aerial Work (PFAW) from the CAA.  To obtain PFAW you need to attend a course run by a CAA appointed National Qualified Entity (NQE), normally around £1500.

You need a PFAW for any work where you get any kind of payment whatsoever.  Basically, if you end up better off by flying your drone, you need a PFAW.
Regarding whether it's worth it or not, it's no different to any other photography/videography business except there aren't as many people doing it yet.  If you're going to do it, you need to do it now to build up some kind of customer base.
2016-4-18
Use props
MistaGuitarista
lvl.1

United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-18 23:53
What you need is a Permission For Aerial Work (PFAW) from the CAA.  To obtain PFAW you need to atten ...

Thanks Nigel - yes, take your point - getting in early would be ideal. Still looking in to it and gathering as much info as I can.
2016-4-19
Use props
kingphil123
New

United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-18 23:53
What you need is a Permission For Aerial Work (PFAW) from the CAA.  To obtain PFAW you need to atten ...

Hey Neil,

Are you aware if there are any rules around giving your footage away? I recently shared some footage on a facebook page and the BBC have got in touch saying they would like to use my footage on one of their programs.

My drone is not registered & I have no interest in selling them the footage. What are the rules around me giving them this footage?

Thanks in Advance
2016-4-19
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

kingphil123 Posted at 2016-4-19 14:22
Hey Neil,

Are you aware if there are any rules around giving your footage away? I recently shared ...

You can give it away, but I'd make sure you let the BBC know (in writing/email) you don't have permission for aerial work so they know where they stand.  That way, if the CAA decide they're not happy, you're covered.  I'm not sure if the CAA would bother because no money changes hands, but better to be safe than sorry.
2016-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules