Phantom 4 crash
12Next >
9115 68 2016-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
titeo
lvl.1
United States

I just crash my phantom 4 today. I have purchashed it since march -4- 2016. And I don't have DJI care plan. I have been flying it less than 10 times. So do DJI repair it for free or do i have to pay for that fee? The phantom4 has crashed when I try to land it home and accidentlly press the RTH button. Then the drone lose control, turn up side down and goes straight to the ground. It totally crash and cannot fly again.
2016-4-22
Use props
titeo
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for reply. At that point my drone was above 50 M height. I push left stick down  to right corner and press the RTH button... the drone fly up side down and goes straight to the ground.
2016-4-23
Use props
titeo
lvl.1

I am really sorry guys. I work full time at weekend and have school on weekdays. So I don't have much time to answer questions.  I did contact to the DJI repair service. They sent me an email with an attachment label and the instruction show how to send the product to North American Support center. Here is the picture of the drone crashed.
12.png
2016-4-25
Use props
treeboyy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 604747 ft
United States

That is a major bummer and I'm sorry!  Not sure about the repair, the reaction to the RTH button push sounds weird  though. Gather your information, flight log, video, pictures what have you and contact customer service.
2016-4-22
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

You will likely have to pay for the repair. Especially since it was something that you caused.  
2016-4-22
Use props
scarper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59272 ft
Australia

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-4-23 11:17
You will likely have to pay for the repair. Especially since it was something that you caused.

How do you know that without seeing logs?
He said he pressed the RTH button..we not allowed to push that button?
2016-4-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

scarper Posted at 2016-4-23 13:20
He said he pressed the RTH button..we not allowed to pus ...

You and the OP need to look up the meaning of Manufacturer's Warranty. It warrants you against a manufacturing defect, not inability to fly the aircraft. And the logs probably will not reveal anything.

2016-4-22
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

scarper Posted at 2016-4-22 23:20
He said he pressed the RTH button..we not allowed to pus ...

I don't need to see logs to know it was caused by something the OP did. Basically because that is exactly what he said. He was landing, pressed a button, crashed it. That's not a manufacturers defect and thusly, not covered under warranty.
2016-4-22
Use props
scarper
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-23 11:26
You and the OP need to look up the meaning of Manufacturer's Warranty. It warrants you against a m ...

And what did he actually do wrong I am intrigued
2016-4-22
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

scarper Posted at 2016-4-23 00:03
And what did he actually do wrong I am intrigued

He crashed his Phantom. I'm not understanding the confusion. He said he was a new pilot. He tried landing and accidentally pressed RTH. You can't "accidentally" press that button. If you do, you shouldn't be flying. And what does RTH button do when you are close to the home point? It just lands right there. I'm guessing he panicked and did some wonky things with the sticks and crashed it. Crashes happen, but to expect DJI to pay for it every time is naive.
2016-4-22
Use props
scarper
lvl.4
Australia

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-4-23 12:02
I don't need to see logs to know it was caused by something the OP did. Basically because that is  ...

So if im flying and hit the rth button i can expect my phantom to flip upside down...and this is user error because he didnt mean to push the button...so if he meant to do it and it flipped that would make it different how?
Not trying to troll just trying to work out how you can come to that conclusion with the info provided.
2016-4-22
Use props
scarper
lvl.4
Australia

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-4-23 12:09
He crashed his Phantom. I'm not understanding the confusion. He said he was a new pilot. He tried  ...

But youre guessing right???
2016-4-22
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

scarper Posted at 2016-4-23 00:20

Listen, I have enough flights under my belt to know that you don't accidentally press the RTH button while landing. If you somehow manage to do so, I know the thing will not flip over without other input from the sticks. Go ahead and get your logs and see what it tells you. I don't have time to debate this with you. Good luck, OP. My only advice from here out, is to read the manual and practice more. Take care.
2016-4-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

scarper Posted at 2016-4-23 14:14
So if im flying and hit the rth button i can expect my phantom to flip upside down...and this is u ...

You don't 'accidentally' hit the RTH button, it requires you to hold it down for a period of time.  And when you do, it tries to ascend to the RTH altitude before flying home. The rest of the description is indicative of someone mashing the controls in an effort to get back control of the aircraft.
2016-4-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-23 00:31
You don't 'accidentally' hit the RTH button, it requires you to hold it down for a period of time. ...

pressing the rth shouldn't cause a crash,   if it did then should be covered.    i think we are all just getting into wild speculation here,   we really need to see logs posted and see what really happened.   

heres one way rth could cause it to flip over and crash,     he flew the drone and was comming in for a landing away from where he took off from.    while landing he hits RTH and the drone climbs to RTH height and hits a tree branch or a wire.   then it flips over and crashes!    that is one way accidentally hitting rth can cause a crash!

if previous scenario is what happened then accidental rth crash is not covered because its pilot error   
2016-4-22
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What happened?
Accidentally hitting the RTH button doesn't cause the Phantom to lose control.
2016-4-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-23 01:06
What happened?

op only made 1 post and vanished....

alot doesn't add up.   rth needs to be held and then it goes.    i think alot of the story is missing or being withheld.   as well as flight logs.     this was titeo's first last and only post on the forum,   they got quite a few replies rather quickly and haven't said a word sense.   i really think a good portion of the story is being left out.  and trying to get free repairs blaming hardware for pilot error.  

at this point who knows.   he may just have posted, and went to bed or something.    hopefully tomorrow will have logs posted and more information available.   AND THE TRUTH WILL BE KNOWN! (maybe)
2016-4-22
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Well, that was a nice little "discussion" here!
Sucks to crash a nice P4! Sorry to hear that! Hope DJI will at least be able to help out enough to make the cost of repair reasonable! Good luck!
I am amazed that certain users would behave the way they did on this thread... Realy? How does it help the forum or the users discussing an already unpleasant experience?
Take care.

GT
2016-4-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-4-23 01:23
Sucks to crash a nice P4! Sorry to hear that! Hope  ...

more of alot of the more senior people on the forums get newbies who only jump on here when they have a problem.    with out thinking they could even be at fault they slide blame to the hardware.  it could be the hardware at fault but very vague description of the circumstance, on top of the post and run, normally means they are hiding facts.  i have seen it and it pisses me off as well.  i have went off on a few people who were reckless and stupid who crashed.   things that could have been easily avoided by using common sense, or reading the up on how the drone works.   even simple things like not flying during wind gust advisories.      

having seen lots of pilot error crashes and the hardware getting blamed for pure ignorance on the pilots behalf.  its frustrating and just stupid most of the time.    but like i said maybe they will upload the logs and it will show a genuine error or fault in the drone.  its possible but not very likely.

Dji does help people out and cuts breaks to people who are honest and made an honest mistake.   those who try to lie and cover up acctual events which may have been a reckless manor of flying don't deserve anything.  

2016-4-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-23 15:45
more of alot of the more senior people on the forums get newbies who only jump on here when they ha ...

'those who try to lie and cover up acctual events which may have been a reckless manor of flying don't deserve anything. '

This is very true. After you have seen you fortieth 'P4 Crash' thread, you begin to see common factors crop up again and again.

The real question is why the person comes on here to report these incidents, do they genuinely want help, or are they after a freebie? If they want help, they submit the flight logs and post a link. Then you get experienced flyers who look at the log and offer ideas about what happened.

No-one is out to lynch anyone, and you do get situations where the people on here encourage DJI to help these people out. And DJI are not silly either, in fact they are, in my experience, quite generous in dealing with these incidents.

But from time to time, you get reports that don't stack up......

And it does not help when the OP disappears.

2016-4-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-23 02:07
'those who try to lie and cover up acctual events which may have been a reckless manor of flying do ...

most just want freebies.   few people like mafia had a problem,   we all explained what happened and pilot error.   he understood and was cool about the whole thing.   learned what he did wrong and moved on.  

this thread got me really furious!    read this one gee and tell me it doesn't torque you up as well.    same to you gtokarsk.     this is the stupidity dealt with on here!  

http://forum.dji.com/thread-49402-1-1.html    i would love to find this guy and shame him publicly     he has no respect for anything.   bet a little brat who was given and handed everything in his life and never had to take responsibility for anything EVER
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash, titeo. I'd suggest you to contact our service center in North America as below and they will answer your question of repairing cost.
Email: support.us@dji.com
Phone: +1 (818) 235 0789  
Mon-Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (PST)
2016-4-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-23 06:06
What happened?

No but, what if....

Most likely I can see is that the CSC command on the P4 is left stick to bottom right & push RTH, immediate shut down of motors. Aircraft falls.
2016-4-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"I push left stick down  to right corner and press the RTH button"

In which case that is a CSC command (See page 53 of manual) and will shut down the motors (This is an EMERGENCY stop process). With no power the aircraft will fall randomly.

Sadly it looks like pilot error, I'm not sure if DJI do any discounts ?
2016-4-23
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

titeo Posted at 2016-4-23 06:18
Thanks for reply. At that point my drone was above 50 M height. I push left stick down  to right cor ...

Thanks for clearing that up. You performed a CSC command and shut the motors off. Unfortunately, this was pilot error so I would contact your local service center and get an estimate for repairs. This repair likely will be out of your pocket. Please read up on all current manuals and watch the tutorial videos while your bird is being repaired.
2016-4-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

scarper Posted at 2016-4-23 00:20

He admitted to crashing it????????
2016-4-23
Use props
Bennyboy1983
lvl.3
Flight distance : 141089 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This thread is better than Jeremy Kyle.
2016-4-23
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am not being negative but I think there is more to what happened when you hit RTH. You sure that it didn't hit something while climbing to the set RTH height? Sorry for your mishap.
2016-4-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

He initiated a CSC Rodger, see further up.
2016-4-23
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

titeo Posted at 2016-4-23 06:18
Thanks for reply. At that point my drone was above 50 M height. I push left stick down  to right cor ...

Hate to say it , but it looks like you are the first official "accidental" motor shut off with the new procedure for emergency shutdown of the the Phantom 4. (at least that I have seen)

Everyone thought changing to left stick "down-right" and "RTH button"  would be better then CSC shutdown.  In my opinion the new procedure can be just as, and possibly more dangerous, especially if someone panics.  I really hope this does not become common....but I'm suspect.

I am reall sorry for the crash of you P4.
Good luck in the future.
2016-4-23
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think now the correct accronym for the P4 would be CSBC.............Combined Stick-Button Command.   

Just a thought!
2016-4-23
Use props
scarper
lvl.4
Australia

titeo Posted at 2016-4-23 18:18

Yes thanks for clearing that up, now we can officially say it was pilot error instead of guessing that it was.Hope it doesnt cost the earth to get it repaired.
As stated by other members...maybe read the manual back to front and make sure you fly within your ability once you get it repaired.
2016-4-23
Use props
toddwillams
New

How bad is it lets see pics!
2016-4-23
Use props
Dasmeister
lvl.1

United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-4-23
Use props
Dasmeister
lvl.1

United States

And read manual. Not sure if there a different phantom 4 manual out there I didn't see. But nothing mentions left stick down and rth button as motor shut off. It the same both sticks brought in to lower inside or outside corners...   This also wouldn't flip the unit over.   I think we will start seeing some P4 compasses having some manufacturing defect   Scary thought, as built in safety features relay so heavily on that one item
2016-4-23
Use props
gasturbine59
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The latest firmware changes this to left stick and rth button emergency motor shutdown!   So do not do this!
2016-4-23
Use props
Dasmeister
lvl.1

I have the 3 pro. Did they change for all phantoms or just 4?  It seems like maybe they want to update manuals as that could be an easy 1000$+ error
2016-4-23
Use props
J.N
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102333 ft
France

Dasmeister Posted at 2016-4-23 17:17
And read manual. Not sure if there a different phantom 4 manual out there I didn't see. But nothing  ...

To stop motors during flight, pull the left stick to the bottom inside corner while simultaneously pressing the Smart RTH button. This new procedure will only become available when Remote Controller firmware is updated to the latest version.
This is what  dji said.
After read lots of posts about bugs in phantom 4  i start to get worry cause only next week i will fly the phantom. I received in March but living in a no-fly zone is not easy. I had no problems to update the new firmware and made just a very short fligth in my backyard and everything seems to be ok but definetively i´m a little scare.In Europe it cost 1590 € almost 1700 USD. for this price whe should trust the machine. But.......

2016-4-23
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-4-23 01:23
Sucks to crash a nice P4! Sorry to hear that! Hope  ...

Before coming to forum and asking naive questions, I think all users are supposed to read manual at least. DJI provided a lot of video tutorials.

What does it mean I was landing and accidentally pushed RTH and it flipped over )) you're kidding me.. I think its better to explain all other stick movements you did in between landing and pushing RTH.))))
2016-4-23
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

I found "Super flip over" effect - push all the way up to 400ft and push left stick all the way down right and press RTH ))))   You will love this effect, believe me, and don't forget to call DJI for free repair )
2016-4-23
Use props
titeo
lvl.1
United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-4-23 05:28
Thanks for clearing that up. You performed a CSC command and shut the motors off. Unfortunately, t ...

Thanks for the information. Yeah I will take responsibility for this.
2016-4-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules