Unacceptable RMA Process
4544 18 2015-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AcesAreWld
lvl.2

United States

After waiting since November for my Inspire1 I finally recieved it the second week of January. I was so happy I got the "A" model with the carbon fiber weave, and I have been flying, testing, and learning regularly since it arrived. I ordered from B&H and had to ask them to release what was in stock at the time (just the Inspire1 itself) and I would wait longer for the extra batteries and 2nd transmitter (I ordered a dual transmitter package). The batteries just came in this week (4th week of January) and I am still waiting (with no work on the 2nd remote). If I didn't ask them to ship what they had, I'd still be waiting empty handed.

While most of my experiences have been positivbe, I noticed my camera gimbal would "tweak out" or "jump" every now and then while shooting video. For me, it's almost always along the PAN axis and so I started a dialoug with DJI (China) by e-mailing inspire1@dji.com Video sample here: http://youtu.be/vTlLeU3TUyc

It took an entire week of "what is your serial number" ... 12 hours later I respond... "What is your firmware number"... 12 hours later I respond... "Send me your flight logs" [which was a terrible process where DJI gave me 1/3 as much information/software as needed ... 12 hours later... you get the idea.  They made a case number and told me to call DJI support in the USA at +1-(818)-235-0789        Mon-Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (PST).

I called and basically was told I needed to RMA my entire Inspire1 (which, mind you is not even a complete order from B&H yet) and they would look at it and I could get it back in "3 to 4 weeks or so".  I asked if an advanced swap (with a credit card of course) was possible -- it is not.

So now after waiting since November for this machine, I need to send it back because of DJI's issues and wait ANOTHER month!? I'm not even sure if they pay for shipping both ways at this point.

This is completly unaccaptable. Has anyone else had any better luck with DJI Support or RMA processes?  Any useful advise is appreciated.

2015-1-23
Use props
bdmartens
lvl.2

Canada

First class problems, man.  It doesn't really sound that bad to me - a 1st gen product bought at the first possible minute has a variety of newly discovered bugs, you have some issues, and they seem to want a chance to look at the whole bird.  I'd be kind of happy, really, and it sounds like they're actively engaging most people around the world with real problems - which is obviously quite a challenge.  I'm assuming they're paying for shipping, meaning that it shouldn't really matter how much of your inspire is being sent back.

Lots of us are still waiting (and likely kind of hoping  that we'll get a second gen, or at least gen 1.01 inspire).
2015-1-23
Use props
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

Ugh. My Inspire has that same twitch. Please keep us posted on how this progresses for you. I'll likely have to repeat your steps.
2015-1-23
Use props
1785victor
New

United States

jsmorse.email Posted at 2015-1-24 10:42
Ugh. My Inspire has that same twitch. Please keep us posted on how this progresses for you. I'll lik ...

Mine twerking too
2015-1-23
Use props
Blip
lvl.2

United States

Mine is tweaking a couple of times for every video I've been shooting. I plan to take it to a repair center as soon as the weather gets horrible.
2015-1-23
Use props
dbeck.email
lvl.4

United States

Aren't you all tired of the same BS..."first gen...learning curves..bugs...etc., etc.?  Don't you think they could have smoothed some of this out before hand?  All i hear about is ANOTHER crash, etc., etc....awful
2015-1-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI is taking care of the issue.  This is isolated to just a few users.  How many do you think we have shipped, 10?  Not likely.  We will address the issue and make sure the user is taken care of.  DJI has made a considerable effort to make sure that Inspire users have adequate support with our 24/7 system.  Yes sometimes it takes a regional support center to fulfill the issue and they may not be online 24 hours a day.  But you can talk to someone 24/7 and the issue will be advanced.  That is the point.  We did not promise 24/7 solutions to your satisfaction.  Sometimes it takes a little longer to solve situations.  
2015-1-23
Use props
AcesAreWld
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-24 12:13
DJI is taking care of the issue.  This is isolated to just a few users.  How many do you think we ha ...

I've been preaching the good word on DJI as well... but them breaking the rules with Apple and PAYING CUSTOMERS having to deal with the repercussions is a bad move.  I had the App, I know how to GET the App even if I didn't have it -- that's fine.

But to wait this long for a machine that I've already got $3800+ into with batteries, dual remotes (which I am still waiting for), etc -- it is NOT ok to use paying customers as a test bed and then force them to wait another MONTH for a repair job.

I get DJI's position, I've been singing their praises until this, but this has pushed me too far. I paid for a product with the implication that it would work - and to be unable to utilize a tool I already paid for for such a vast amount of time is an unacceptable move on DJI's behalf.
2015-1-23
Use props
s.s.gibbs1.emai
lvl.2

United States

yes,this will take time to work the bugs out.
  a few months ago,i had a p-2 for only a couple of weeks and i was bringing it straight up after making sure i did the compass dance and that i had over 6 sats. the bird went suddenly to the side and hit a tree and then went in the water. fried..just flashing reel lights. when i told Dji that i had learned there was an issue when the camera was turned on the sats would reduce they simply told me it was not repairable and i should buy a new one.
   since then, Dji has fixed the issue with shielding  and now has put in place service centers to help with support. I'm my opinion there is a huge difference in the way they are doing business now..but i will say it is not perfect. this product is not for the faint hearted..and i am  glad my two controller version has been so hideously delayed.
   i just now am quite leery of even flying it when i get it due to the range of issues seen.
   my friend did a f.w. update and the camera went wacky,thrashing about and the gimbal got quite hot.
   the next morning a new f.w. came out and that one went fine.
    i guess these new updates can go all screwy for some and not others,otherwise it would show up in testing.
     i wonder how extensive the testing is? how many units are tested before the new f.w. is released?
     i work for a huge tech company and we get f.w. updates that have issues for some machines and not others as well..so it is not just Dji by the way. these are very complex systems and it does not take much to have an issue.
2015-1-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

We had over 200 test units out around the world.  That is a large test for DJI.  But that said, once you start to manufacture in volume and distribute to a much larger population issues will appear.  DJI has made a considerable effort to try and satisfy its customers.  We succeed at times and others we do not.  For those of you we disappointed, I apologize.  We will continue to improve.  
2015-1-25
Use props
skinleverton
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Mine twerks as well..
2015-1-25
Use props
steph
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29587 ft
France

Mine go back to dji ....I hope received new one order November just have a look in 2 January and go back ...
Waiting new
2015-1-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think it is a hardware issue. I am willing to  bet if you remember when you were shooting the film the twerk happens when you turn the Inspre. I have watched mine do this while stationary  and running with no props. If I make a hard turn the camera will turn into the turn (the twerk) the program  is anticipating the turn and it turns the camera into the  turn. I think the original thought was to have the camera move into the turn along with the Inspire in order to make a smooth transition in your Video. If anyone from DJI reads this please bring it to the attention of your Software Engineers. I feel that it is just an adjustment issue in the Software or maybe a Firmware update I can make mine do this almost every time I put the stick to hard left I can watch the Camera go ahead of the Inspire. For some reason it doesn't seem to do ingoing into a hard right. It looks like on your video you are turning right?
2015-1-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI is taking care of the issue.  This is isolated to just a few users.  How many do you think we ha ...

Ed, please take a look at my Post below. It may be helpful?
Rodger
2015-1-25
Use props
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

rodger, interesting idea. I'll have to check into that. Thanks very much for your input.
2015-1-25
Use props
Heliflo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Ed, it's not about the expectation to the Company (DJI) or to the product.
I'm quite sure that ALMOAST EVERY customer accepts, that there can appear issues with a new product - no matter how good (or bad) QC is...
BUT: it's about the PROCESS! (Mainly the waiting and Response time)

If you say that there are JUST "a few", it would not cost much for DJI to just replace the product (especially if it's just a few weeks or days old)...

Just in case there would be more than just a few, why DJI does not offer a "Exchange program"... Means: Customer send his defective device and gets a similar, already repaired device back...this would save a lot of time for the customer - if he don't like to get "just a smilar" product, it's his choice to wait...BUT then it would be HIS choice which would make it also much more aceptable if the customer gets a choice at all...

You now my story about the Z15 GH4 - it was BRAND NEW and DJI did not acept a DOA cause it was "used"...How to notice bugs without "using" it... (By the way, it's now more than 2 month and I still did'nt got it back...)

Cheers
2015-1-25
Use props
ocaerial
New

United States

Don't get me started started with DJI's inefficient RMA process. Complete frustration for me.
I'm at almost at 2 weeks of lip service, over 30 emails back and forth and hours on the phone with LA tech support.
I have a defective out of the box Inspire gimbal/camera (black triangles on the DNG files and twitchy stabilization on video).
I was finally told I needed to send the unit in for repair/replacement. I thought lucky me, I live in the LA area and could drop the gimbal off to exchange, can't do that according to DJI.  In fact Friday I was a block from DJI repair facility at a work appointment and me and my defective Inspire gimbal could only drive by and wave, so instead DJI has me package it up and ship it, now I am in waiting for it to get back to me, who knows how long?
You would think with 200 beta testers out there they would have a few extra parts around in LA for exchange and repair.

I do have to say I love flying my Inspire, mine is extremely stable, extremely easy for fly and mine is vibration free. To bad it all has to be soured by this defective gimbal and DJI's return process.

This has wasted hours and hours and hours of my time for what in my opinion could of been a simple drop off and/or exchange and which would of made a happy customer.
Greg
2015-1-25
Use props
AcesAreWld
lvl.2

United States

Glad it's not just me... REALLY Hoping it will be fixed in a firmware update... and soon.
2015-1-25
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

Did any of you guys get a resolution? I have the same thing going on and I have a RMA which in terms of time wasn't bad but the conversation I had with the rep left me less than faithful.  I'm boxing things up tonight and sending the whole unit because one rep told me that that's the best thing to do.

Would love to hear if you received a repaired unit and this twitch was indeed gone?  I looked into it further and actually posted a couple videos demonstrating what happens:

Roll axis intolerance when tilted to left:

In flight demonstration of the twitch/twerk/freakout:
  - note: while that twitch totally sucked, that sure is a nice picture SOOC with no editing/grading! lol

Thanks in advance for any responses!
2015-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules