So I was unscrewing the stock UV filter...
2106 7 2016-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanielMyst777
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145276 ft
United States

The standard, stock UV filter that comes with all Phantom 4 camera/gimbals seems alright. I was unscrewing the UV filter for a good cleaning off of the camera and it was a tight twist. I am talking like there is grit or what not in the grooves for the filter rough and a little elbow greese seemed to work just fine until I finally managed to unscrew the filter and the lens slid out from the retainer! Oh crap, I thought, I wasn't squeezing that tight this thing just popped out. I tried to slip the lens back into the retainer but no use. I tried so firmly in fact to wedge the thing back into the holder that this lens shattered through my thumb. Some antiseptic and a bandaid later, I have come to the conclusion that maybe the manufacturing on this stock UV lens filter wasn't the best. I realized I now need a new UV lens cover for the gimbal camera and proceeded to look at DJI's Phantom 4 replacement parts. LOL $38.00 for a replacement UV filter lens and only $29.00 for add-on ND filters. Why is the regular stock filter more than shaded ND UV filters from DJI? The world may never know.
Anyways, take this thread as a word of caution when unscrewing and screwing in various UV filters for the Phantom 4 camera. You never know when the lens may randomly pop out on you and ruin your day lest you end up a disappointed sob like me.
2016-7-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I am amazed you cut your thumb, because you should not have had it anywhere near the filter. A golden rule is never, ever, touch lenses, filters or other glass with your fingers.
2016-7-6
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry to hear that, Daniel. Hopefully you'll get well soon.
2016-7-6
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-7 05:10
I am amazed you cut your thumb, because you should not have had it anywhere near the filter. A golde ...

How else is he going to put it back in the retainer ring if it has fell out ;-)
2016-7-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2016-7-8 11:36
How else is he going to put it back in the retainer ring if it has fell out ;-)

I can think of about 10 different ways to do  it without using my thumb, YMMV.
2016-7-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

IIRC, assuming it's like the P3P, the rubber retainer is not really a rubber retainer.  It's an easy assumption to make, but that's why the lens fell out and the rubber ring stayed put.  The rubber ring goes in first, then the filter.  The delicate glass filter could come loose - making you think something is wrong - and might fall out if you're not careful.  To replace it, you would then carefully just sort of drop the filter in - handling it only by its edges and using gravity as an aid.  Once it's in place, it's a tight enough fit and the rubber is tacky enough to just hold the clear lens/filter in place if you proceed gently.  Again, using gravity to help, you would then carefully screw the UV filter assembly back to the camera.  The camera lens mount will eventually press against the outer edge of the filter which will press against the rubber ring which will press against the edge of the inner rim making a water tight seal.  The compression from the turned threads is what holds the lens in place.  

It might work doing it your way too, but I don't think that's how it was designed.  And I think it would be more difficult.  

I guess it doesn't matter now since you broke it.  

Good luck
2019-6-29
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

These might be useful
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bleac ... 2057872.m2749.l2649
though I'd still try to hold a filter by its edges rather than its surface.
These have a great blower bulb
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-3 ... 2057872.m2749.l2649
and the brush is kind of handy too
2019-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry to read this thread, and wish others better luck.

Please Use all due care.

RedHotPoker

2019-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules