Video Preview Goes Black and Green (Not HD Signal Loss)
2240 20 2016-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

Hello Everyone,
   I'm not quite sure what happened, but I went out flying today, and all seemed to be well.  However, as soon as I landed, I started to get the dreaded black display where it was blinking between the preview and a black/green screen.  At first I thought it was interference, but I had full bars on my HD signal.  I observed it for a few minutes, and I wasn't able to stop it from blinking.  I closed out the Go App, re-opened, Etc, and nothing seemed to clear it up.  One thing I didn't try was restarting the drone.  However, I was on my last battery and I was about to put it away.

Some additional info:
1.  I always keep the video channel to Auto (but it tends to choose channel 20)
2.  I wasn't near any cell towers or large interfering objects.  I was in the middle of a rather large park.
3.  I was using an Ipad Mini 4 that is brand new, update,d and the only app used on it is the Go App (and it is current)
4.  The lightning cable is official OEM
5.  The antennas are in the orientation specified in the manual.
6.  The aircraft is on the latest firmware.

While I do think this is somewhat normal in different circumstances, I would like to know how to avoid it or possibly remedy.  Fortunately for me, I didn't experience this while the aircraft was in the air.  It was only experienced while on the ground.  For those that thought the aircraft was far away, I quite literally walked up to it, stood over it, and the blinking display between the preview and a black/green screen was still happening.  Later on this afternoon, I set the aircraft back up in my house, looked everything over, and the display was then normal.  I put my hand on each of the antennas, and I couldn't force a signal drop.  It maintained full bars for HD signal.   I also tapped around the gimbal to make sure I didn't have a camera seating issue.  The preview was solid. I also checked the pins and all seemed normal.
2016-7-23
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I left an answer for you  on the other thread with similar problems as well.  Do you have another device that you can test to compare ?

The I pad mini 4 should have enough processing power.  I would  inspect the wires between the Gimbal and the Aircraft , make sure they are not crimped in any way , also inspect the Pins between the Camera and the Gimbal itself.  Also with the entire system on , wiggle the  wires from the Gimabal to the aircraft and see if the problem occurs , make sure the connections are well seated.  

I would also try a Custom Channel  for testing purposes.   

Sometimes just deleting and re- Installing the Go App can solve strange problems like this .  Be sure have the "Hardware Decode " enabled and clear the Video Cache as well.  

donnie
2016-7-24
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

If you have a second RC it would be worth testing with it to rule out a problem there.
2016-7-24
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

I have a feeling this may be a camera issue. I have read others have had the same problem and in a lot of cases the video recording goes blank at the same time that the screen went black.
2016-7-24
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Hello,
   Here's the update.  Wires and pins inspected and normal.  Wiggling and tapping doesn't have any affect.  Video appears solid.  Another device was tested, which is an iPhone 6s Plus.  The video remained normal.  Hardware decode was on when the issue occurred.  The issue itself is truly random and hard to replicate.  It just starts to do it at random times.  I can tell you that the recorded video is fine.  It's just the preview on the go app the suffers. I can also tell you that the issue seems to corrected itself if you turn the aircraft and rc off.  Then it will randomly start re-occurring again.  I can try clearing cache or re/installing app, but there isn't really much of a cache at this point and the iPad 4 is brand new.  Additionally, it took two lengthy flights to make the issue re-occur.  For what it's worth, it always happens when the aircraft is on the ground.  It happens in different areas.  It happens even when your standing directly over it.  The next time it happens, I'll switche to manual channel and pick a new channel.
2016-7-24
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2289429 ft
  • >>>
Poland

I've experienced same issue (black or green screen). Usually it does if interfernces apear and lost or poor signal it's equivalent of snowing analog screen. In my case, I suppose, that issue came with 1.8 firmware and/or GoApp upgrade. Before 1.8 black/green screen did never appear. Worse sometimes my camera hangs after few minutes (clips) recording.
2016-7-24
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

I'm still working on figuring it out.  It's just so random that you can't really replicate and pin point to any one thing.  It's almost like the video cache gets backed up or something.
2016-7-24
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-7-24 10:50
Hello,
   Here's the update.  Wires and pins inspected and normal.  Wiggling and tapping doesn't hav ...

Sometimes you can get signal loss when you are to close , it is a Swamped signal .  I dont know the technical reason but it has something to do with the mirror image  etc, just know that if you are to close, say right on top of the unit this can happen.

It may just be the I pad or the Cable Fitting of the I-pad itself.  some of these problems are very difficult to pin  down exactly, good luck in the meantime.
Also perhaps try airplane mode, just to see if it goes away, also shut down the blutooth.

donnie
2016-7-27
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

I'll probably try the airplane mode or just make sure that everything  is off and nothing is running in the background.  This iPad is only used for the aircraft, so the only things that can really get in the way are a few open windows and wifi on.  I had already disabled Bluetooth and eliminated any bloat setup.  Perhaps it was just a odd interference issue, but it happened exactly the same as the video above.  The only difference was that I was at a park about 150ft away.  I had just landed it when the flicker started happening.  It never did clear.  I just powered the aircraft down as I was packing up for the day.
2016-7-29
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-7-29 19:57
I'll probably try the airplane mode or just make sure that everyone is off and nothing is running in ...

I am having this problem now and the SD chip can be affected too with corupted files. I am waiting for DJI support to give me a ticket number and return RMA.

I am not sure this is FW related and just something wrong with the hardware for the camera.

Rich
2016-8-1
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-1 21:18
I am having this problem now and the SD chip can be affected too with corupted files. I am waiting ...

Hi Rich,
     Let me know what happens with yours.  I was going to open up a ticket also.  My opinion is that it is firmware.  We can't all have bad cameras.
2016-8-2
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-8-2 10:32
Hi Rich,
     Let me know what happens with yours.  I was going to open up a ticket also.  My opin ...

I will let you know, I have received the RMA today and will be shipping it out. I did not have any issues with the FW and looking at the hidden log file all was functioning correctly. The problem just started and not right after the FW update..... more like something is gone wrong with the hardware..

So far customer service has been very helpful and quick to respond to my request!! Great job DJI...    Let's see what they find out.

Link to my video showing the issue

https://www.skypixel.com/videos/ ... 8-a559-6e4b6b361380

Rich
2016-8-2
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-2 12:28
I will let you know, I have received the RMA today and will be shipping it out. I did not have any ...

Hi Richard,
    I just watched your video.  To the best of my knowledge, my recorded video still looks fine.  It's the preview that's bad.  But what you see in your video is the same as my preview.
2016-8-3
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-8-3 16:09
Hi Richard,
    I just watched your video.  To the best of my knowledge, my recorded video still l ...

Hi Gabe

Hopefully you are just experiencing some interference with the downlink... I was thinking that my recorded video was fine while I was flying on Sunday. My video link was almost imposable to frame my shots but thinking it would get better. When I downloaded my videos from the SD chip 2 files were ok and 3 were corrupted...  This must be pointing to a issue with the camera, Looking back on this now, I have had some other video corrupted too and it must have been going bad on me.

My Inspire 1 has been just wonderful and reliable until now. DJI repair shop will have it tomorrow and need to be scheduled into the repair queue.

Rich  
2016-8-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-8-4 07:09
Hi Richard,
    I just watched your video.  To the best of my knowledge, my recorded video still l ...

Were you able to get in contact with the North American Support team?
2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-4 11:23
Hi Gabe

Hopefully you are just experiencing some interference with the downlink... I was thinking ...

I'm glad to hear you're getting this issue addressed. You will be back in the air in no time.
2016-8-4
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-4 14:15
I'm glad to hear you're getting this issue addressed. You will be back in the air in no time.

Thank you Jamie,  I have had a great response from customer service so far. I messed up and sent the slave remote with my Inspire instead of the master. (Delivered today at LA Shop)    Looks like I will be shipping the other remote tomorrow.

Rich
2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-5 05:26
Thank you Jamie,  I have had a great response from customer service so far. I messed up and sent t ...

Thank you for the update. Please let the support team know to expect that as well.
2016-8-4
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

On my next flight out, I'm going to record until my SD card fills.  Hopefully it will start flickering and I can check mine too.
2016-8-4
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-4 14:33
Thank you for the update. Please let the support team know to expect that as well.

Jamie
I have let the DJI support know and they issued another RMA for my master controller return. I hope they don't get things lost I know it was my fault sending in the slave controller... I really think the problem is with the camera or video module  . I guess we will find out soon.

Rich
2016-8-4
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-8-4 20:19
On my next flight out, I'm going to record until my SD card fills.  Hopefully it will start flickeri ...

LOL my SD chip is 64 gig and would take a lot of batteries to fill that baby up     I hope you are ok and do not need to fix anything!!

Rich
2016-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules