8679 33 2015-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I noticed a Dowload release posted today for Apple. It states that it is a Log Color Correction Tool. When you Download it, it is supposed to be put in the Applications Folder. I don't believe that there is n Applications Folder on the iPad so I would assume that it belongs on my iMac? Is it for Post Processing or am I all wet here? Any info from one of the DJI Guys?
Thanks
2015-1-30
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

1. It's a Mac app, not an iPad app.
2. It's for post processing.
2015-1-30
Use props
steph
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29587 ft
France

I ask me if it is a LUT file for professional correction color editing like Avid
2015-1-30
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-1-31 03:58

Thanks, I figured as much by the File and Description, just was not sure.
2015-1-30
Use props
nebelung
lvl.3
Flight distance : 613615 ft
United States

I would much rather prefer a set of LUTs than this program. So much simpler.
2015-1-30
Use props
DJI-CAO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 228714 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

It's a transcoding tool which transforms the footage from H.264 4:2:0 (8bit) to Apple ProRes 4:2:2 (10bit). It's working for the LOG mode.
2015-1-30
Use props
steph
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29587 ft
France

DJI-CAO Posted at 2015-1-31 15:08
It's a transcoding tool which transforms the footage from H.264 4:2:0 (8bit) to Apple ProRes 4:2:2 ( ...

OK and how did you use it ....?
2015-1-31
Use props
DJI-CAO
lvl.2
  • >>>
China

steph Posted at 2015-1-31 18:14

1. Shooting in the LOG mode.
2. Open the tool in your computer.
3. Upper directory: original video; bottom directory: target video
4. Converting
5. Editing

Enjoy it!
2015-1-31
Use props
DJI-CAO
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

steph Posted at 2015-1-31 18:14

1. shooting in the LOG mode
2. open the tool, upper directory: the original video, bottom directory: the target video to be transcoded
3. converting to the Apple ProRes, the default option is enough
4. editing
2015-2-1
Use props
aircam4u
New

Germany

I get only mov files with a length of 36Bytes as output files  
What can i do to fix that?
2015-2-4
Use props
Cyclops
lvl.2
United Kingdom

aircam4u Posted at 2015-2-4 20:19

I highly recommend this app.

It might be a bit clunky to use but the results are worth the effort.  If you film using log mode this app will save you a lot of time with your colour correcting and it really brings out the detail in the footage.

I hope DJI create a more sophisticated interface for this app. Hopefully something similar to Gopro studio or even better as an in app plugin for FCPX.

If you are filming in 4K you will notice that the Pro Res 422 files are very large. But thats to be expected and goes with the territory of working in 4K.
2015-2-5
Use props
DJI-CAO
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

aircam4u Posted at 2015-2-4 20:19

Currently it drains your memory.
We'll surely improve it.
2015-2-5
Use props
Cyclops
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-CAO Posted at 2015-2-5 20:19
Currently it drains your memory.
We'll surely improve it.

Yes - there does seem to be a problem. Initially it worked for me with very good results despite the awkward interface but now it continually fails.

It never completes the conversion.

I look forward to the next version as this app definitely show a lot of promise.
2015-2-5
Use props
marty.backshore
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

This app does two things:

1) It transcodes the video files from the H.264 codec written to the SD card to the Apple ProRes codec.

2) It corrects video captured in "log" color mode by restoring the contrast and saturation that are missing from log-mode video.

My initial thoughts:

1) Why transcode from a low-bit-rate, highly-compressed codec (H.264) to a high-bit-rate, moderately-compressed codec (ProRes)?  It can't improve the quality of the video; it can only increase the file size, and it may degrade the video quality in the process.

2) Why a separate app to correct the log-mode footage?  Why not just restore the missing contrast and saturation with the tools in your video editing software?

I decided to run a test.  On my first Inspire flight, I recorded a 6-minute and 45-second 4K video.  A portion of this video is presented here in four ways:

1) Unmodified; you can see the washed-out quality of the log-mode footage.  This file is about 60 megabits/second.

2) Transcoded and corrected with the DJI app using the "proxy" setting, which resulted in a 7.4 GB file (more than 2.4 times the original size).  This file was about 140 megabits/second.

3) Transcoded and corrected with the DJI app using the "LT" setting, which resulted in a 25.3 GB file (more than 12 times the original size).  This file was about 475 megabits/second.

4) The original (non-transcoded) H.264 file with contrast and saturation adjustments made with the Fast Color Corrector effect in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.  

These four versions are presented in two ways:  first in a round-robin fashion, then again in a split-screen fashion.

My conclusions:

1) Apple ProRes files range from enormous to unbelievably enormous.  This makes sense when I am recording the 4K output of my Sony A7s video camera on my Atomos Shogun.  But it makes no sense whatsoever when the source material is highly compressed at such a low bit rate.

2) There is no discernable difference between the "proxy" and "LT" transcodes, despite the enormous difference in file size (7.4 GB vs. 25.3 GB).  Again, transcoding cannot improve the quality of the video; it can only degrade it, and take up more space in the process.

3) It took me about 45 seconds to make four adjustments to the Fast Color Corrector effect.  The result is very close to the correction done by the DJI app.  (* Details on these adjustments below)

I see the value in an external tool that corrects the log-mode footage for people who don't have access to decent video-editing software.  It would be just as valuable as the  GoPro Studio software that corrects ProTune footage from those cameras.

So why does this tool export to the Apple ProRes codec, with its enormous file sizes?  That certainly can't be helpful to less-advanced users who don't have decent video editing software.

Here is what I hope DJI does:

1) Increase the bit rate of the H.264 files that the Inspire writes to its SD card.  The video I am getting is very very very compressed, and I would really appreciate a higher bit-rate.

2) Provide log-mode correction presets for the big video editors (Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, etc.).

* Here are the adjustments I made to the original footage in Premiere Pro CC 2014.  I applied the "Fast Color Correction" effect, and then:

1) Changed the "Input Black Level" to 30.22
2) Changed the "Input Gray Level" to 0.89
3) Changed the "Input White Level" to 248.11
4) Changed the "Saturation" to 120

That's it.  It's not exactly the same as the DJI transcode app, but it's very close.

2015-2-5
Use props
DJI-CAO
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

marty.backshore Posted at 2015-2-6 09:49

1) It transcodes the video files from the H.264 codec written to the SD c ...

Correct and thanks for such an expert post.

The bit-rate of the ecoding stream is usually limited by (1) the capability of the encoder and (2) the write bandwidth of your SD card. Unfortunately it is the latter one for the Inspire 1, and we have to choose a safe speed for the production.

As you known, the design purpose of this app includes (1) inverting the LOG before the color look is made public to 3rd part software; (2) transcoding the footage to Apple ProRes using effecienct memory for smooth editing.

Apple ProRes 10bit is a near-lossless encoder whose average PSNR is about 56.4dB. So there should be no additional artifects.

More professional color looks will be disclosed in the future firmware. We will continuously improve this app for our customers.

Here I saw a reply from the original post in YOUTUBE.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_redirector/114083621605658377002

To answer your question #2, by transcoding to ProRes 422, first, you have a codec that is more compatible with certain editors. For example, H.264 does play well with FCP. Another advantage is ProRes is better codec to color grade in. It's a much bigger container, meaning it has more headroom when you're pushing colors around. As result, you might get slightly better result, especially if you're doing heavy grading. If none of the above apply to your workflow, it would be a waste of time and HD space to transcode to ProRes. Why does it use ProRes? It's an industry standard format. If you ever work with other editors and need to provide RAW files, they might ask for them in ProRes format.

2015-2-5
Use props
marty.backshore
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for replying.

"The bit-rate of the encoding stream is usually limited by (1) the capability of the encoder and (2) the write bandwidth of your SD card. Unfortunately it is the latter one for the Inspire 1".

If the camera's encoder chip is capable of higher bit rates, then please please please enable this as an option in the Pilot app.  I know that most SD cards can't handle high data rates, but I would love the option to buy one that does, and enable a higher data rate in the app.

Also, I would love love love the option to buy a higher-quality, larger-sensor camera for my Inspire.  The Micro Four Thirds sensor in the GH4 is the gold standard here.  I'm not sure you could fit such a large sensor in the Inspire form factor, but you can definitely fit something larger than the tiny 1/2.3" Sony sensor you are using.

I understand that this product has just been released, and that you are still dealing with the inevitable roll-out issues.  But please please please focus on improving video quality, both through software updates and additional camera options.

Please!

Thanks.
2015-2-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

marty.backshore Posted at 2015-2-6 22:05
Thank you for replying.

"The bit-rate of the encoding stream is usually limited by (1) the capabili ...

Try a high speed Micro SD. B&H has them in fact if you look at the Inspire on the B&H website you will see it under Accessories for the Inspire. Little pricy compared to a regular Micro SD but definetly faster write times.
2015-2-6
Use props
marty.backshore
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Faster write times are not relevant unless DJI supports higher bit rates for the H.264 video.

I am hoping that they offer this in a software upgrade, with the caveat that it requires a high-speed SD card to support it.
2015-2-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I realize that and I put that in my Post. There are no Application Folders on the iPads.
2015-2-6
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

rodger Posted at 2015-2-7 10:27
I realize that and I put that in my Post. There are no Application Folders on the iPads.

Did you get around to using it? I've used it in my last few videos and haven't really found a huge difference, and now i'm wondering if it really helps. I do most of my processing in iMovie and use the built-in grading tool to get the look I want.

What settings are you using?
2015-2-8
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

marty.backshore Posted at 2015-2-6 22:05
Thank you for replying.

"The bit-rate of the encoding stream is usually limited by (1) the capabili ...

Count me in if there's an APS-C sensor option on the way. m43 would be much better than what we have today, but APS-C would be the ultimate upgrade, if we can just get it to the performance of the sensor on a Ricoh GR
2015-2-8
Use props
marty.backshore
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-2-9 01:00
Did you get around to using it? I've used it in my last few videos and haven't really found a huge ...

If the tool didn't make a big difference on your footage, then maybe you didn't shoot in "log" color mode.  That's the primary purpose of this tool:  to correct the contrast and saturation of "log" footage.
2015-2-8
Use props
marty.backshore
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-2-9 01:05
Count me in if there's an APS-C sensor option on the way. m43 would be much better than what we ha ...

The quality difference between a Micro Four Thirds sensor and an APS-C sensor would be relatively minor.

The difference between the 1/2.3" sensor we have and a Micro Four Thirds sensor would be enormous.

This chart shows the relative sizes of the sensors; the Inspire sensor is the smallest one shown:

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2012/10/allsensors.jpg
2015-2-8
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

marty.backshore Posted at 2015-2-9 03:20
If the tool didn't make a big difference on your footage, then maybe you didn't shoot in "log" col ...

That's the thing - I was in LOG color mode. No worries, I'll keep poking around
2015-2-9
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

marty.backshore Posted at 2015-2-9 03:23
The quality difference between a Micro Four Thirds sensor and an APS-C sensor would be relatively  ...

to a point. I use everything from an OMD E-M5 to a H4D-40, and while there is a huge difference between the little Sony 1/2.3" sensor and an m43 one, my experience with the E-M5 and the GR have given me noticeably wider DR and lower light performance.

I'd be quite happy with 12MP off an APS-C sensor that maintains quality up to ISO12800 than 16MP off an m43 sensor which start falling apart at ISO3200, but YMMV

That said, the price difference is likely to be marginally higher between the two
2015-2-9
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

The bit-rate of the ecoding stream is usually limited by (1) the capability of the encoder and (2) the write bandwidth of your SD card. Unfortunately it is the latter one for the Inspire 1, and we have to choose a safe speed for the production.

I'm with marty.backshore on that one.
if the camera can shot higher bitrate please let us choose the option.
i guess that even if there is no SD card that can preform as much as need, Dji can let us connect an external recorder (like ninja, etc.) via the usb port of the camera to overcome the write speed limit of the SD card.
2015-3-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, figured that is what it was.
2015-3-5
Use props
gateway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey guys I just saw this post after doing some tests my self I posted some info here in my blog post and added an update section that points to this form for more pros and cons of converting to ProRes. Blog Post on Log * ProRes

Anyhow thanks guys for taking the time to answer some questions, I think a lot of people are curious as to why they would need to convert to Apple ProRes which is an industry standard for editing, when most are potentially hobbyist that could potentially make some tweaks on the h.264 stream for color grading.
2015-4-15
Use props
louis
New

Puerto Rico

where i can find the software to convert dji inspire 4k files to final cut files apple pro res LT or hq?
2015-4-28
Use props
ferid-bo
New

Germany

Hi, would it be the same effect if I not used the software provided by DJI, but rather create optimized media while I'm importing the footage in FCPX. By creating optimized media, FCPX  also "converts" to Apple ProRes 422.
So would it be the same or not?
Also which LUT would you recommend in FCPX.? Since it is a Sony sensor, Sony Log S2 or Sony Log S3?
It would be nice if you could answer that.
2015-4-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I realize that. The iPad and iPhones are very limited. Best to use the Mac and then if you wish you can send it to the other hardware. Actually very convenient.
2015-4-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cyclops Posted at 2015-2-5 19:53
I highly recommend this app.

It might be a bit clunky to use but the results are worth the effor ...

Yes, 4K a whole new world. And will keep on expanding like everything else today!
2015-4-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Great Post, thanks from all of us
2015-4-29
Use props
StudioRehme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338793 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Thank you for this inspireing report! :-)
I have tested your PP settings and that matches the Transcoding app exactly!
But on the other hand you have an professional codec with that and did you mean that this can´t be a plus in this case?

Do you have a hint for me how i handle the to sharp image of the Cam?
Also in custom settings on minus sharpening, the cam make a sharpen grain that is not looking professional, also the same with the moire!

Thanks and Regards
2015-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules