Mavic VS Phantom4
40097 258 2016-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

FabianH Posted at 2016-9-28 19:59
DJI, I'm sure you'll understand the complaints of many customers who recently bought a Phantom 4. No ...

Amen....

I get the whole advancement in technology argument about how things are always changing, and when I posted almost this exact thing over on the P4 board, someone tried to compare this to the Go Pro 4 and 5.  Wrong.  A year or more between those two product releases, not months.  Same with Cell phones, new iPhones don't replace older ones in months (in terms of production introductions).

Like you, I'm not happy.  Both of these drones had to be in production together at the same time, and to make matters worse, DJI came out with an initial "promotion" price and eluded that the price "may" go up if you don't buy right away, and of course, it didn't.  Very sketchy if you ask me.  

As a Marketing Professor at a major university, I plan on using this in my classes on how NOT to roll out new products.
2016-10-4
Use props
bart3645
lvl.1

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-4 20:55
Amen....

I get the whole advancement in technology argument about how things are always changing, ...

When, did you buy yours?

I had mine activated for less then 30 days before I contacted DJI support, and they basically told me F off.  "go sell it on Craigs list" then come back and buy the Mavic.

Even though many other stores offer 30 day returns on DJI drones like Amazon, and Apple store.

I even posted my brand new drone on Kajiji and not one single person has replied and that's already with a listed price 300.00 less then I paid.
2016-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

P4 is just 6 months old so it's a recent purchase for all P4 owners , dji does not need to compensate owners for introducing the new Mavic these are two different drones, P4 is a great drone takes wonderful pictures and exceptional videos, I am a P4 owner and from the first day I flew it I loved everything about it and still do, I have also purchased a new Mavic and await its arrival with bated breath, but I purchased it because of its portability I can have an aircraft almost anywhere I travel now and that's great I will be keeping my P 4 simply because I love flying it and it's a quality camera for the price.
However I think dji should bring the P4 up to date with as many of the new functions and innovations that can be added and I think this should be done as soon as possible or at least some sort of announcement as to when this could happen, I believe they owe this to all the customers who have purchased P4, if they don't i for one will be disappointed,after all we keep hearing about how phones change,but the difference is when Apple bring out a new phone they also feel the need to allow older phones to jockey back on new softwear and this is a very fair system.( SO COME ON DJI TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WITH SOME DIGNITY AND RESPECT FOR ALL THE SUPPORT THEY HAVE SHOWN YOUR COMPANY)
2016-10-4
Use props
Barney2k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

There's a really good comparison with the Mavic, P4 and Karma here.

In terms of raw specs it's a very close thing between the P4 and the Mavic, but obviously the Mavic is cheaper and has lots of other features going for it, so it seems like a no brainer!

2016-10-4
Use props
KUBAKUBA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 447628 ft
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-4 15:30
P4 is just 6 months old so it's a recent purchase for all P4 owners , dji does not need to compensat ...

I was just thinking exactly the same about adding new features for P4 It's a graet aircraft, but it's value decreased so much after Mavic was released.
Maybe Mavic should be more expensive Then owners of P4 wouldn't complain.
2016-10-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Barney2k Posted at 2016-10-4 15:23

In terms of raw specs it's a ve ...

Thanks for the info.
2016-10-4
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

bart3645@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-4 21:19
When, did you buy yours?

I had mine activated for less then 30 days before I contacted DJI suppor ...

I purchased mine at the very end of August from Best Buy.  Thank goodness that as an Elite Plus member, I have 45 days to return it, which is getting close, so it's going back.   Best Buy said they don't resell drones, and they send them back to the manufacturer, I guess it's going back to DJI.
2016-10-5
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

bart3645@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-4 21:19
When, did you buy yours?

I had mine activated for less then 30 days before I contacted DJI suppor ...

I purchased mine at the very end of August from Best Buy.  Thank goodness that as an Elite Plus member, I have 45 days to return it, which is getting close, so it's going back.   Best Buy said they don't resell drones, and they send them back to the manufacturer, I guess it's going back to DJI.

I have a P3 and upgraded to the P4 mainly for avoidance technology.  Thus, the Mavic provides signifiant value over the P3 with basically the same technology as P4 not to mention, being much smaller and compact.  I've read that the Mavic "supposedly" less video quality than Phantoms, so the P4 has little to no value IMHO.  I'll just keep by P3 for when I want to shoot great video and then buy the Mavic for all that it brings to the table.  
2016-10-5
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2
United States

Barney2k Posted at 2016-10-4 10:23

In terms of raw specs it's a ve ...

Thanks for the info.  I don't see where the P4 provides any real "value" to the consumer.
2016-10-5
Use props
jmoya03-sp
lvl.2

United States

Will the new mavic pro take RAW stills? The chart up top says other wise in comparison to the dji 4. I just says jpegs and DNG.
2016-10-5
Use props
cjmc
lvl.2

DNG is just another version of RAW images anyway surely? I always thought it was totally lossless
2016-10-5
Use props
mVzT8tNjX1Tu
New

Australia

Hi All,
Broadly speaking, it looks like the Mavic takes the P4 and adds portability, sharper response to control inputs, longer range and some extra track modes.... I think that's about it..?

So, the question I ask is.. What would a P5 bring to the mix...? Unless its a massive upgrade to the P4, ie a bigger camera, increased flight time (things you couldn't add to the same airframe as the mavic)... Why would you make a P5 with the same capabilities as the Mavic when you already have the Mavic.. It would only give you the same capabilities in two different sizes..

Is this the end of the phantom line? Will we only see improved versions of the Mavic in the future with regard to the consumer level drone in the DJI series?? Obviously the inspire and the rest cover the higher end of the market...

Interested in peoples opinions here...
2016-10-5
Use props
plasrobin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 128839 ft
Belgium

Hi,

Could i please ask for some input.
If i see the design of the controller of the mavic pro it seems that the ability to add a sunshade is out of the question, i now use a hoodman sunshade for my P4, will the mavic have a contraption to add a sunshade, if not this is a deal breaker for me, i fly alot with this, i mean whats the point if you can't see the fpv screen due to sun glare ?
2016-10-5
Use props
cjmc
lvl.2

mVzT8tNjX1Tu Posted at 2016-10-6 13:32
Hi All,
Broadly speaking, it looks like the Mavic takes the P4 and adds portability, sharper respons ...

I doubt it's the end of the Phantom line. The P3 to P4 didn't really change a whole lot other than the new automated features, the new lens and the collision avoidance. When I say change a lot I mean the actual camera platform. The Inspire is also similar in quality to the P4 camera on the basic version.

A new P5 needs to have longer flight time and a better camera (but I doubt they'll improve it over the Inspire entry camera without an upgrade to the Inspire range too) particularly with a higher bitrate to 100mb s or more so the detail in say grass scenes or trees can be properly captured.  The two drones can complement each other then

The Mavic will be uber portable and the P5 will be an upgraded P4 with a better camera and the new transmission system. Most people would be happy with that.

2016-10-6
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

plasrobin Posted at 2016-10-6 14:15
Hi,

I read in one of the threads where you can supposedly purchase the Mavic with or without a RC.  Thus, I would assume the P3 / P4 controller will work with the Mavic, which would be ideal IMHO.  I would probably use both (if this is indeed the case)....Use the small one when I go on trips, to the beach, lake or whatever, and then use the bigger one for regular flying around my home & etc.
2016-10-6
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2
United States

cjmc Posted at 2016-10-6 17:27
I doubt it's the end of the Phantom line. The P3 to P4 didn't really change a whole lot other than ...

It may not be the "end of the line" for Phantom, but they are going to have to innovate the heck out of the product for anyone to be interested in it.  

As far as I can tell, the Mavic totally changes the game, and has nearly all the features of the P4.  

I would predict that the Phantom line comes to an end, and if you want something upgraded from Mavic, you go to Inspire or whatever.  

This is not all that uncommon on rapidly changing technology.  Despite DJI's early success and clear domination at this point, the drone market overall is still incredibly small and virtually untapped.  
2016-10-6
Use props
thegrindlab
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quality is just as good, just not as sharp and the coloring is flatter. Some people will prefer the P4's sharpness and more "vivid" coloring. I prefer to add sharpness and color grading in post, so the Mavic is a better option for me.

2016-10-6
Use props
thegrindlab
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

lukx Posted at 2016-9-28 09:42
video from Mavic is blurry as hell

UNFOCUSED video from the Mavic is definetely blurry. The pilot MUST ensure the cam is focused.

But, if you are referring to lower sharpness of the Mavic's camera, that's not the same as "blur". Some people prefer to shoot with less sharpness, so they have more control over detail in the editing stage.
2016-10-6
Use props
kris5
lvl.1

All I can say is, thank god for Amazon 30-day returns policy.

(warning: wittering ahead...)
I forked out for my Phantom 4 just three weeks ago and I was just a few days into flying it when lo and behold... they announced the Mavic Pro. Yes, yes - I loved my P4 and have saved for months for it... But mixed feelings of shock and awe... or maybe despair - How could DJI do this to me? Same specs as the P4 but smaller, cheaper and in some ways, better??!! After comparing and scrutinizing the specs for both aircraft, I just couldn't see enough reason to hold on to the Phantom 4 - I mean, I *wanted* it to outclass the Mavic in *some* reasonably significant way that would justify the higher cost and size... I tried to block out my annoyance - After all, nothing wrong with the P4 - It's amazing, I love it. So I continue flying whilst watching video comparisons online...

First came Casey - Everyone's seen his comparisons by now - Yep, it was blurry and seemed to confirm what other vloggers were saying... I was relieved, I would stick with my P4.

But alas! It soon became apparent Casey's buffoonery with the tech had everyone in a tizz who, clutching their P4's to their chests whilst swearing allegiance to the white god of the skies, would soon discover that the new Mavic could focus after all - And just as good as the P4 if not better (Damn that over-keen digital sharpening).

So after watching and examining even more footage over the last couple of weeks, reading the enlightened musings of DJI Ken and encouraged by the stampede to the back of the Mavic sales queue, I have finally relented and now coming to terms with prospect of waving goodbye to my short life with the white (glossy) god of the skies as I bid her farewell and watch as my friendly UPS man flings her into the back of his brown van (with no doors) and trundle down the road... (I can almost hear her distant cry one last time, "Home point has been reset...")

I feel a bit ashamed and a little bit naughty for returning something that, for all intents and purposes, I've had a lot of fun with over the last few weeks... for free (no doubt, ultimately at DJI's expense) - But the other half of me can't help feeling it is really DJI's fault for not understanding how to tier, release and price point their products properly. (No, possibly because they're too busy trying to get one over on GoPro!)

As I said before earlier in this thread (or perhaps, on a different forum), I can no longer imagine anyone properly informed walking into a store and walking out with a P4 instead of a Mavic - That just wouldn't make any sense to me.

I now sit cross-legged outside my front door, awaiting my friendly UPS man again (with a cup of tea and a biscuit)...

I think I'm going to have a long wait.
2016-10-6
Use props
Rico7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 428448 ft
United States

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-6 06:21
I read in one of the threads where you can supposedly purchase the Mavic with or without a RC.  Th ...

I'm willing to bet the Phantom's controller won't work on the Mavic, they're different wireless protocols.
2016-10-6
Use props
James WONG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 545 ft
Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-28 12:01
DJI has a 7 day refund and 14 day exchange.

Thanks! Not going to return it because I think the Phantom 4's camera is still better
2016-10-7
Use props
James WONG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 545 ft
Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-28 12:01
DJI has a 7 day refund and 14 day exchange.

Thanks! Not going to return it because I think the Phantom 4's camera is still better
2016-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

kris5 Posted at 2016-10-7 03:18

Each to his own P4 is a great machine that's a fact people will still buy it, I think when you get your Mavic this forum will be filled with complaints about teething problems with Mavic as was the same with P3 and P4, the grass is not always greener on the other side, just a different colour.
2016-10-7
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

kris5 Posted at 2016-10-7 03:18

I get all my DJI drones from Apple in the UK and are fortunate to be protected by a 12 month manufacturers warranty.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

plasrobin Posted at 2016-10-6 14:15
Hi,

I don't know if a sunshade will be offered.
But someone said a Hoodman worked as it still fit inside of the RC's cradle.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

cjmc Posted at 2016-10-6 17:27
I doubt it's the end of the Phantom line. The P3 to P4 didn't really change a whole lot other than ...

The Mavic will definitely not end the Phantom line
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-6 21:21
I read in one of the threads where you can supposedly purchase the Mavic with or without a RC.  Th ...

It will be offered without the RC for $749 but you will need to use your phone/tablet.
it has an upgraded version of Lightbridge (OcuSync) and the P3/P4 RC will not work.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-6 21:24
It may not be the "end of the line" for Phantom, but they are going to have to innovate the heck ou ...

As I said, it is not the end of the Phantom line.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

kris5 Posted at 2016-10-7 10:18

If you felt guilty about returning your used P4 and got a full refund, than it probably wasn't the right thing to do. I believe what comes around goes around. I'd make sure you also purchase the DJI Care Refresh.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Rico7 Posted at 2016-10-7 10:36
I'm willing to bet the Phantom's controller won't work on the Mavic, they're different wireless pr ...

Correct, it will not work.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Delta Nine Posted at 2016-10-7 20:30
I get all my DJI drones from Apple in the UK and are fortunate to be protected by a 12 month manuf ...

The Mavic comes with a 12 month warranty from DJI as well.
2016-10-7
Use props
gckless
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-7 09:55
The Mavic comes with a 12 month warranty from DJI as well.

Does this transfer countries? I saw the care plan does not. For example, I'm buying in the US, but moving to South Korea (which has a DJI presence for sure) shortly. The care plan will not cover me. Will the manufacturer's warranty still have me covered?
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

gckless Posted at 2016-10-7 23:56
Does this transfer countries? I saw the care plan does not. For example, I'm buying in the US, but ...

You will still have the coverage and warranty BUT you would need to send it back to the country you purchased it in.
So if you purchased in the US and you live in another country, it's covered but you would have to pay to have it shipped to the US repair center and then we would ship it to a US address after repair/replacement and your friend/relative would have to pay to ship it back to you.
2016-10-7
Use props
gckless
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-7 12:06
You will still have the coverage and warranty BUT you would need to send it back to the country yo ...

Ah, ok. It's a hassle, but it beats nothing I guess. Thanks!
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

gckless Posted at 2016-10-8 01:09
Ah, ok. It's a hassle, but it beats nothing I guess. Thanks!

Yes for sure.
2016-10-7
Use props
kennylee88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9498 ft
United States

Casey Neistat Lost his Mavic Pro
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

kennylee88 Posted at 2016-10-8 05:00
Casey Neistat Lost his Mavic Pro

Yes, as I said the thread you started, he's about to say that he flew behind a building or flew behind something.
2016-10-7
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Here is a nice comparison of Phantom 4 vs Mavic:

2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-8 05:28
Here is a nice comparison of Phantom 4 vs Mavic:

https://youtu.be/semSRD-mQ9U?list=PL4wRmHlxpJVVB_D ...

He always has pretty in depth videos, and his wife does a a pretty good Mavic dance at the end
2016-10-7
Use props
kris5
lvl.1

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-7 21:53
If you felt guilty about returning your used P4 and got a full refund, than it probably wasn't the ...

Completely disagree. That's what the 30-day return policy is there for.

I tried the P4. I did like it, but then DJI suddenly announce something better that had I known about before making my purchase, I would have bought it instead.

Completely right that I should be able to return something I had been saving up since March for given that we were ambushed with a newer, 'better' product from DJI.

Free tips to DJI to avoid this:

Don't create a white elephant / own goal, (or whatever euphemism you care to throw at it), by bringing out a new product that has all the same features and more in better form factor than your current flagship model you released less than 6 months ago. (I get that DJI is new to this game, but go check out how Canon tiptoe through the tulips). Imagine if Canon released the 5D Mark IV and it was better than the 1D-X? Who would buy the 1D-X?

2016-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules