Upgraded Firmware, now Camera Light Red? (Phantom 2 Vision+)
19031 20 2015-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amos.amosolson
lvl.1
United States

My Phantom 2 Vision+ has been working great for many months!  I flew it yesterday with no problems.  Today I decided to connect it to my computer for the first time in a long time and it said there was a firmware updated available.  I think I was on 3.03 before and it updated me to 3.10.

Now when I turn on the Phantom, the camera LED blinks red rapidly then turns solid red.  The camera points straight forward, the motors hum for a moment, then the camera points down at 45 degrees and stay stabilized if I try to move the drone.

I cannot connect to the camera any more via USB cable (good thing I connected and downloaded images and videos yesterday).  The app allows me to go into the Camera View but there is no image and it thinks the gimbal is pointing all the way up/forward. In the About section, the app says there is no camera.  The app also says there is no SD card when I go into the Gallery view.

I tried the procedure for updating the camera firmware but there is no difference in behavior (I initially added the bin file to root with no effect, deleted all files and added .bin, then formatted with computer and added .bin.  I couldn't format the SD Card with the app because the SD card is no longer seen by the Phantom since the firmware update).  The light doesn't blink Yellow and the file name on the SD card doesn't get changed like the instructions indicate (I'm an IT guy, I definitely got the .bin extention and file naming thing figured out)

Is there any way to fix this?  I miss flying already

http://youtu.be/_WwhIuog958

http://youtu.be/_WwhIuog958

Current settings screen.

Current settings screen.

App no longer shows camera info

App no longer shows camera info

App Camera View is blank and gimbal angle cannot be changed

App Camera View is blank and gimbal angle cannot be changed
2015-1-31
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

According to the user manual the solid red light means "critical error"  (duh!)

My recommendation is to retry the firmware update.

But first:
   A) Hopefully you've trashed the cheapo 4Gb class 4 SD card that came with the Phantom and replaced it with class 10 or better.

B) I want to point out a little glitch I found that may be part of your problem.  In the past I would remove the SD card to transfer files to my computer.  Sometimes when I would reinsert the SD card it apparently would not make good contact and I would get symptoms like yours or the video wouldn't appear or it wouldn't record.  I discovered if I would eject-insert-eject-insert-eject-insert the SD card this would tend to wipe the contacts and make a better connection.  Then, the first thing I do when opening the DJI app is to go into the album folder and see if the app can actually read from the SD card album, if I get the little "waiting" circle that means the card doesn't have a good connection and I would do the eject-insert thing again.  Try this and see if there is any change.  (if not, keep this in mind when you retry the firmware update!)
   C) wipe and reformat your SD card

D) retry the update for the camera:

Follow these instructions to update your firmware:
1. Download the latest Phantom 2 Vision+ FC200 firmware from the official DJI website and unzip it.
2. Copy the "firmware_plus_v1.3.0g.bin" file into the root folder of an empty Micro-SD card (less than or equal to 32GB) and rename the file to "firmware_plus.bin".
3. Make sure the camera is turned off, and insert the Micro-SD card into the camera.
4. Turn on the Phantom. The firmware update will begin automatically. A quick yellow flashing LED on the camera indicates that the camera is updating.
5. When the quick yellow flashing disappears, the firmware has been updated. After a successful update, the "firmware_plus.bin" filename will change to "firmware_plus.bin.bak00". This file on the card can now be deleted.
6. Restart the camera and the new firmware will be active. Check the firmware version in the DJI Vision app.

Special Notes:
a) During the update, do not turn off the camera, remove the intelligent flight battery, or take out the Micro-SD card. This may cause the update to fail and may require return-to-factory service.
b) A quick red flashing LED on the camera after the quick yellow flashing indicates the update has failed. Please repeat Step 1 to Step 5 above without restarting the camera. Change to another Micro-SD card and try again if the update fails again.
c) Ensure you are downloading the correct firmware. DO NOT mix up the camera firmware of the Phantom 2 Vision and Phantom 2 Vision+.
d) The latest DJI Vision app (iOS App: v1.0.46; Android App: v1.0.56) is required.

2015-1-31
Use props
amos.amosolson
lvl.1
United States

No change or success at all

I've bought and tried two different new Class 10 SD cards (different brands and sizes).  There is no yellow flashing at all no matter how I format the cards or how I name the .bin files.  It also behaves the same when there is no card in the camera.

If I connect a USB cable to the camera, it does NOT show up as a drive on my computer like it used to.  The app's Gallery says there is no SD card no matter which card I have in it (so I can't do a format from the app).

Every time I power on now, the camera just shows the red light (and does the point-forward, hum, point-down routine).

Does this mean I'm out of luck?
2015-2-1
Use props
amos.amosolson
lvl.1
United States

gil Posted at 2015-2-1 14:55
According to the user manual the solid red light means "critical error"  (duh!)

My recommendation i ...

I responded to the thread, should I have responded directly to your message instead?
2015-2-1
Use props
cshudson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76545 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Did you try the original crappy SD card or just the class 10 cards?
Did the new SD cards work before the update?
2015-2-1
Use props
amos.amosolson
lvl.1
United States

cshudson@me.com Posted at 2015-2-1 23:08
Did you try the original crappy SD card or just the class 10 cards?
Did the new SD cards work befor ...

I tried the original card repeatedly doing everything I could think of with it.  It worked normally the night before I updated the Phantom firmware, and the camera immediately started behaving badly right afterward (I didn't even take out the SD card before the problems started, I always use the USB cable to transfer my pics/videos).

I bought the new Class 10 cards just to see if they would somehow help based on an earlier suggestion.
2015-2-1
Use props
gil
lvl.4
United States

Ok, time for more drastic measures; the "hard reset" (essentially zeroing the flight controller)

Before you actually do this procedure you can watch a demonstration on YouTube.
Original source: (Marionville Multirotors Sep 11, 2014) Hard Reset Firmware on Phantom2, Vision+, Naza Light & V2
http://youtu.be/v7sg_7FmZ4g

(There is a caveat:  "Only follow this guide if your are confident in your abilities." )
The basic procedure is as follows:
- open the Phantom
- install a jumper across the BOTTOM pins of connectors F1 and F2
- power on the Phantom
- run the Vision Assistant to reinstall the firmware
- Power off, remove the jumpers
- Power on Phantom
- Rejoice in your ability to revive the dead!
DJI NAZA - hard reset.jpg
2015-2-1
Use props
amos.amosolson
lvl.1
United States

So a full reset didn't help either.  The FC is probably fine, the camera is probably hosed.

I'm guessing DJI has really awesome and helpful phone support during the week.... right?  Right?
2015-2-1
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Hi,
Have you updated the FW with Ver3.8 assistant?
I think you could try re-bind the wifi extender and your drone
2015-2-1
Use props
gil
lvl.4
United States

amos, I owe you an apology!  The instructions I posted about updating the firmware had a significant error which I have since corrected (omission is highlighted with italics and bold text)  
2015-2-2
Use props
amos.amosolson
lvl.1
United States

gil Posted at 2015-2-2 18:54
amos, I owe you an apology!  The instructions I posted about updating the firmware had a significant ...

No worries, Gil!  I watched a bunch of videos demonstrating the procedure first, without your post I wouldn't have even known a hard reset was possible.  Unfortunately, everything reinstalled perfectly back to the way it was before I started (everything still works great except the camera still does nothing).
2015-2-2
Use props
amos.amosolson
lvl.1
United States

Just to follow up on this thread: I talked to DJI Support and they say it's a "factory service" problem and they issued an RMA.  I guess I won't be doing any Phantom flying for the next few weeks.

I'm grateful to everyone who offered help on the forums, you guys are awesome!
2015-2-3
Use props
kassa_epherem.y
New

Sweden

hi amos , the same problem with my  camera too . did u get some solution ?
2015-2-4
Use props
bgevaerts
lvl.1
Flight distance : 414032 ft
Netherlands

Same here too, this is getting out of hand ...
2015-3-15
Use props
agpilot2b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3852293 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

So, hows this for a story! My Father in Laws' first P2V+ crashed into the sea after about 5 months of pretty reliable use... No known reason, just a 45-60degree banked accelerating dive into the ocean...

So... now the insurance replacement arrives and has some slightlu older firmware than the current versions, so we:
1: Update the Firmware on the MC using DJI Phantom 2 Vision Assistant 3.8
2: Download Phantom 2 Vision+ FC200 Firmware v1.3.0g for the gimbal, and follow the process to the letter.

And now, the camera LED shines a solid orange, the "Camera" section of the Vision App is just black with no picture, the "Album" section of the Vision App can't read the SD card, connecting the USB to the rear of the Gimbal Base does not bring the SD card in the gimbal slot up as an external drive on the PC... but, the quad flies, the camera tilt can be changed, and physically, besides the solid orange LED, the quad is perfect.

What can I do from here?
2015-5-31
Use props
malvarez
New

Argentina

Hi amos.amosolson,

I have the same problem.

did you get some solution?
2015-6-8
Use props
manorfielddover
New
Flight distance : 187008 ft
United Kingdom

amos.amosolson Posted at 2015-2-3 15:17
Just to follow up on this thread: I talked to DJI Support and they say it's a "factory service" prob ...

I also have had the same issue, and done all of the above , problem is the camera not connecting with the app all as above. Looks like a factory service issue then.
2015-11-25
Use props
egger
lvl.2

Austria

I have the same issue. All of a sudden (no crash), the camera light turns to a solid red (Camera status: Critical error) when I turn on the Phantom. This also means that I don’t get a video signal in my app. Besides software updates, etc., I changed the ribbon cable but it did not fix it…
2016-10-10
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I am going  to suggest you may just need a new wifi module inside the Phantom. Sounds very suspicious to me..
2016-10-10
Use props
marcespinoza
New

Argentina

Could you find any solution? same problem
2017-1-12
Use props
fansaabfbc93
lvl.1
Flight distance : 140814 ft
Germany

Has anyone found a solution? I have the exact same issue - no camera preview, no gps, red light. It is not the wifi-module since I did the ping test and all 3 IPs respond.

Please help!!
2017-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules